A fairly short but intense UU warstory.

There aren't too many UU warstories around here, so I thought I'd remedy that by writing a warstory for a battle I had recently against opponent B.O.E. The battle was very short and fast-paced, lasting only twenty turns, so it shouldn't be too hard to read through the end unless I'm that dull of a writer!

Some background information: I have always had trouble making good teams. I've made a few good teams (accidentally), but most of my teams are mediocre or just plain bad. So what I thought I'd do is steal an old UU team, and make some changes to adapt into the current metagame. Looking through the Warstory Archive, the one that intrigued me the most was ChouToshio's team, so I stole it, added a few touches and replaced a Pokemon altogether, and started laddering! It's been pretty successful, and I had a solid winning streak going.

After winning four matches, I went back to the ladder and faced user B.O.E. in a very tight, exciting match!

My team:

B.O.E.'s team:

B.O.E. sent out Banette.
umbarsc sent out Luxray.
Banette found Luxray's Leftovers!
Luxray's intimidate cut Banette's attack!

Banette isn't too common, especially as a lead, so I'm a little unsure of how to react, but Luxray is pretty flexible. With Intimidate lowering that 115 Base Atk, I go with a safe Discharge to cause some damage and hopefully go for some paralysis.

Banette used Will-o-wisp.
Luxray was burned!
Luxray used Discharge.
A critical hit!
Banette lost 100% of its health.
B.O.E.'s Banette fainted.
Luxray was hurt by its burn!
Luxray lost 12% of its health.
B.O.E. switched in Claydol.

6 - 5, umbarsc

I felt a little bad about the crit, but I play on. Claydol is bad news for Luxray, because its only damaging move against Claydol is Crunch, which obviously does little damage thanks to the burn. Expecting him to take the opportunity to set up Stealth Rocks (or maybe even go for the Earth Power), I go to Swellow for some U-turn scouting.

umbarsc switched in Swellow.
Claydol used Psychic.
Swellow lost 98% of its health.
Swellow was burned!

That was a big surprise for me, but I was relieved that Swellow lived, and decided to keep him as death fodder. I really should have played more safely and brought in Lapras, my safer counter. Oh well, live and learn. I thought about spamming Facade to hopefully to some damage with the near-dead Swellow and go out with a bang, but better judgement prevailed, and I send out a conservative U-turn to put some pressure on the opponent, and it will do good damage to Claydol if it stays in. If I play aggressively enough, I may have a chance of keeping Stealth Rocks off the field and giving Swellow a potential kill later in the game. Remember that now.

B.O.E. switched in Steelix.
Swellow used U-turn.
It's not very effective...
Steelix lost 7% of its health.
umbarsc switched in Lapras.
Steelix's leftovers restored its health a little!
Steelix restored 6% of its health.

I'm glad that I decided to U-turn, and to counter Steelix I send out Lapras. This is an special offensive set I created with Substitute, and it's got just the move to nail that Steelix. Having seen no Water resists, I send out an offensive Hydro Pump to do some damage.

Lapras used Hydro Pump.
It's super effective!
Steelix lost 99% of its health.
B.O.E.'s Steelix fainted.
B.O.E. switched in Primeape.

6 - 4, umbarsc

Apparently expecting a Dragon Dancer, or perhaps a BoltBeamer, the brave Steelix stays in, only to meet its demise from a powerful jet of water, and now B.O.E.'s likely Stealth Rocker and Swellow counter is dead, meaning that Swellow might be more useful for a revenge-kill later. Remember that now.

Primeape gives me problems, having no defensive Fighting resistances. Some words from ChouToshio's warstory float back to me. "When in doubt, go to Luxray." So I did just that, Intimidating it, allowing for a Nidoking revenge-kill.

umbarsc switched in Luxray.
Luxray's intimidate cut Primeape's attack!
Primeape used Close Combat.
Luxray lost 51% of its health.
Primeape's defence was lowered.
Primeape's special defence was lowered.
Luxray's leftovers restored its health a little!
Luxray restored 6% of its health.
Luxray was hurt by its burn!
Luxray lost 12% of its health.

This is a very important move, and it will be significant later in the game. Remember that now.

Luxray lost 31% of its health.
umbarsc's Luxray fainted.
umbarsc switched in Nidoking.

5 - 4, umbarsc

I figure Nidoking's Fighting resistance as well as Luxray's Intimidate will chase away Primeape, who is presumably Choiced, having seen no Life Orb recoil. Remember that now.

Anyways, Primeape is running back to its trainer, and I think I know who B.O.E. will be sending in its place. Claydol crippled my Swellow with a well-placed Psychic, but Nidoking is about to return the favor.

B.O.E. switched in Claydol.
Nidoking used Megahorn.
It's super effective!
Claydol lost 66% of its health.
Nidoking lost 10% of its health.

Megahorn pierces Claydol's health bar, making it unable to wall anything else on the team. B.O.E. will probably sacrifice Claydol to allow for a revenge-kill on my dangerous Nidoking, so I prepare a second Megahorn, praying its 85% accuracy holds.

Nidoking used Megahorn.
It's super effective!
Claydol lost 34% of its health.
B.O.E.'s Claydol fainted.
Nidoking lost 10% of its health.
B.O.E. switched in Sharpedo.

5 - 3, umbarsc

Sharpedo is about as unpredictable as Nidoking, and I have no idea what it's running. Band? Specs? Scarf? Mixed? My first instinct is to go to Lapras to sponge the Water attack, but I decide to play more conservatively and sacrifice Nidoking. With Primeape and Sharpedo both outspeeding and killing Nidoking, it's unlikely Nidoking will be able to cause much more damage, so sacrificing it would be the best move so I can scout Sharpedo's moveset.

Sharpedo used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Nidoking lost 80% of its health.
umbarsc's Nidoking fainted.

4 - 3, umbarsc

Earthquake and no Life Orb gives me the impression that it's Choice Banded or possibly Scarfed, but either way I trust that Lapras will be able to sponge an Earthquake and kill it with Thunderbolt. However, B.O.E. probably knows that too, so he will likely switch out. I would dearly love to Hydro Pump and kill that Primeape if it gets plans on switching in, but he hasn't revealed his final Pokemon yet, so I throw up a cautious Substitute.

B.O.E. switched in Clefable.
Lapras used Substitute.
Lapras lost 25% of its health.
Lapras made a substitute!
Lapras's leftovers restored its health a little!
Lapras restored 6% of its health.

For being so small and pink and fluffy, Clefable makes me shit my pants with fear. I don't want it to get free set-up with Calm Mind, but I don't want to directly send in Primeape either. Being safe behind a Substitute, I decide to test the waters with an Ice Beam, because this will give me knowledge of Clefable's moveset. Luckily, whatever Clefable does, Primeape should be able to revenge-kill it with a Close Combat, unless it has Reflect or maybe...

Lapras used Ice Beam.
Clefable lost 37% of its health.
Clefable used Cosmic Power.
Clefable's defence was raised.
Clefable's special defence was raised.

SHIT. This was definitely something I was NOT anticipating, and now, all previous plans abandoned, I hit the panic button and go directly to Primeape. Clefable's unpredictability makes it so dangerous that almost any good UU team packs a Fighting-type.

umbarsc switched in Primeape.
Clefable used Cosmic Power.
Clefable's defence was raised.
Clefable's special defence was raised.

Clefable is at 63% from that Ice Beam. If Close Combat does < 50%, I lose. Cosmic Power Clefable is dangerous for any team that lacks a phazer, and one turn of set-up and it could easily set up and outstall your entire team. I hold my breath in anticipation, and select Close Combat.

It's super effective!
Clefable lost 63% of its health.
Primeape lost 10% of its health.
Clefable used Softboiled.
Clefable restored 50% of its health.

Luckily, I needn't worry. Even with Cosmic Power effectively removing Clefable's weakness, there's still the fact that STAB Close Combat off of 309 Atk still hits pretty damn hard. Apparently he didn't invest much in Defense (in my opinion, 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD Bold is ideal for Cosmic Power Clefable), and he paid the price. Clefable hung on with a mere sliver of health, but it doesn't matter, because Primeape kills it easily with a second Close Combat.

It's super effective!
Clefable lost 51% of its health.
B.O.E.'s Clefable fainted.
Primeape lost 10% of its health.
B.O.E. switched in Sharpedo.

4 - 2, umbarsc

Here's where that second Close Combat matters. Primeape's and Sharpedo's Base Speed are the same, so instead of risking the speed tie, Sharpedo can safely Aqua Jet thanks to that second Defense drop. Not wanting him to predict a Lapras switch and use Crunch or Earthquake, I sacrifice Primeape, because Sharpedo has priority and his Primeape might be Scarved (remember that now), making Primeape not too useful in the long run.

Sharpedo used Aqua Jet.
Primeape lost 80% of its health.
umbarsc's Primeape fainted.

3 - 2, umbarsc

Knowing that this is Choice Banded, I use Ice Beam to hit the incoming monkey. I'm not going to bother Subbing because it would be a waste of health. The late-game has begun.

Sharpedo used Crunch.
Lapras lost 39% of its health.
Lapras used Ice Beam.
It's not very effective...
Sharpedo lost 48% of its health.

This turn surprised me; Sharpedo kept up a very sneaky facade of being Choice Banded. Luckily, Lapras can sponge the Crunch without too much trouble (presumably holding Expert Belt), and Ice Beam hits it hard enough. Although the risk of Primeape coming in and withstanding a Thunderbolt is high, I decide against Ice Beam because Sharpedo has a good chance of surviving a second Ice Beam. The threat of Aqua Jet is gone to Swellow, but Primeape still gives me problems.

Sharpedo used Crunch.
Lapras lost 40% of its health.
Lapras used Thunderbolt.
It's super effective!
Sharpedo lost 52% of its health.
B.O.E.'s Sharpedo fainted.
B.O.E. switched in Primeape.

3 - 1, umbarsc

This is a very intense ending. Primeape easily OHKOs both Aggron and Lapras, leaving the game down to a Swellow vs. Primeape match-up.

It's super effective!
Lapras lost 21% of its health.
umbarsc's Lapras fainted.
umbarsc switched in Aggron.

2 - 1, umbarsc

One down, one to go.

It's super effective!
Aggron lost 100% of its health.
umbarsc's Aggron fainted.
umbarsc switched in Swellow.

1 - 1, tie

Every "remember that now" leads up to this moment. Primeape is either Scarfed or Banded. We know the following facts:

- Primeape's -1 Close Combat did 51% to Luxray
- Primeape is at -2 Def

I take a minute to run a few calcs, and they're very inconclusive. From Adamant Scarf Primeape, Close Combat's maximum damage is around 50% to Luxray with my EVs, and Jolly Band Primeape's minimum damage is around 50%. Unhelpful.

Measuring purely risk/reward, Quick Attack has a small chance at OHKOing Primeape at -2, assuming 4 HP / 0 Def, and will always hit Primeape. Factor in the chance of a crit and the chances increase. Facade will obviously kill Primeape, but if Primeape is Scarfed Swellow won't have the chance to use it. So Quick Attack is obviously the safer move.

In the midst of this thinking, the chat goes as follows:

umbarsc: hm I should run calcs
B.O.E.: just do it already

Again, unhelpful. Does that mean "you're going to win anyways" or "you're going to lose anyways"? Does he know that I have Quick Attack? The tone of the message made it sound like he was resigned to lose, making Band likely, but I couldn't tell for sure.

Looking at his team, he has Banette / Claydol / Steelix / Clefable / Sharpedo. Outside of Sharpedo, his team is really slow, and even Sharpedo isn't winning any marathons, though he does have Aqua Jet to compensate. This would lead me to believe that Scarf was more likely.

After a minute of thought, I came to my decision.

Swellow used Quick Attack.
Primeape lost 94% of its health.
Swellow lost 2% of its health.
umbarsc's Swellow fainted.
B.O.E. wins!
umbarsc: gg
B.O.E.: gg

After only twenty turns, Quick Attack just fell short of a KO, and Primeape wiped out my last Pokemon. He's either in relief that Quick Attack didn't kill, or laughing his ass off because I used Quick Attack against a slower Pokemon. I'll never know.

GG B.O.E.

I'm not going to list Props and Slops, but I will give you my thoughts on the match:

I should have played more carefully with Swellow. A Ground attack would have been way too obvious, and I didn't know for sure if Claydol was his Stealth Rocker. Steelix is so common that to assume that Claydol would be setting up Stealth Rocks is foolish, and Claydol wouldn't like Rapid Spin or Reflect right away. Using Psychic was a smart play, and the game would look differently if I had sent in Lapras right away. In fact, Sub Lapras is good Steelix bait in general (if it has Roar) because it keeps up a Facade of being a Dragon Dancer. If I had caught Steelix right away with Hydro Pump, the match would have ended much differently, because his team, like most teams, is very VERY Swellow weak once their Steel is out of the way.

As you can see, not getting Stealth Rocks up cost me the game. Stealth Rocks are vital in UU (perhaps even moreso than OU), so I need a more reliable Stealth Rocker than Aggron. Aggron simply is no longer reliable as a supporter. Luxray is a good "tradition switch" Pokemon, but I really do need a better Stealth Rocker.

Other than that, I don't think I made too many mistakes.

Of course, the real hero in all of this is Lapras. With her solid balance of defenses and offenses, she managed to get 2/5 of the kills, and was probably a pain for the opponent to deal with, though he had Primeape to keep it at bay.

The match was shorter than a typical Pokemon game, but that's probably to be expected with an offensive team like mine (I really shouldn't say "mine" when I copied it :P).

Comment, give feedback, discuss.

You did really well with every "Remember this for later", building up suspense and dramatic tension. You really mad the battle secondary to the story, and even though the battle itself looked pretty straightforward, your comments gave it the depth that it needed. Great job.

All the "remember that now"s really break the flow of the story.

Other than that, good battle and good warstory.

Edit: lol, it seems we are of differing opinions abotu that, jenigmat.

sexy buildup for the heroic return of swellow with the "remember that now" stuff lol

I think I liked the psychology at the end the most though.

Despite the blow for blow nature of the battle overall, I must admit that I really enjoyed reading this warstory.

It was all down to the way you wrote it. The battle had its unique quirk and you worked with that to great effect in your commentary. This is a perfect example of how you can make a top-notch warstory out of a far from perfect battle by focusing on the interesting parts. Very well done.

Minor nitpick though:

Stealth Rocks are vital in UU (perhaps even moreso than UU)
Huh?

@Lemmiwinks

Heh, fixed. I meant to say "moreso than OU". I agree that the match was pretty straight-forward and not too much prediction was present, but I think the ending and some of the more exciting moments made it worth it, like you said.

@Mien

I remember that. That was fun but that took quite a bit of writing/formatting to do.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

This was actually a good, short warstory, and short warstory's usually suck.

I was intrested all the way throughout and the fact that the end built up a tension similar to the Rocky films speaks for itself.

5 stars.

I liked it, but personally, I found all the "remember this later" stuff horribly annoying. It may just be personal preference on my part, but I believe the reader can follow along with that stuff through your comments or you could just remind them when it got important, but by specifically pointing out things we must remember it kind of ruins the satisfaction of that moment when you realize something, perhaps after rereading, and go "Oh, so THAT's what that meant! I see now!"

Well, other than that, good job.

I actually liked the remember X. It was like a puzzle in your writing.

I really want to know if you made the right choice now or not though!

The remember that's were actually very entertaining in building up to your final analysis of Primeape. It was a great warstory.

I'm afraid I'm one of the (apparently) few who became annoyed with the constant repetition of "Remember this now". A couple times was fine, but it got to the point where I was wondering if you were going to say it after every turn, distracting me from the story and battle. At the very least, you could have worded them a little differently as you re-used them...

Aside from that minor irritant, though, I really enjoyed the story, even more-so because you actually provided some information that would prove useful for my OU team (I run a Cosmic Power Clefable as well, but with different EVs). I'll be looking forward to any future warstories from you.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Good warstory but I have to say that I too found the "Remember this now" 's annoying.

You write very well. And I liked the intense battle and the ending was exciting! Great warstory, good job!

I enjoyed that Warstory, mainly because it wasn't a "Hax" ending or a "Will this KO" as such ending it was more of a ending where your descision actually made a difference, if you had run calculations you would (i presume) have realised that Facade was the 100% better choice, simply because it was the only move with a chance of KOing lol. An excellent read, and thanks

I enjoyed that Warstory, mainly because it wasn't a "Hax" ending or a "Will this KO" as such ending it was more of a ending where your descision actually made a difference, if you had run calculations you would (i presume) have realised that Facade was the 100% better choice, simply because it was the only move with a chance of KOing lol.
Well, perhaps... Without saying too much, I'll just cryptically say "so it would appear".

Clefable is at 63% from that Ice Beam. If Close Combat does < 50%, I lose. Cosmic Power Clefable is dangerous for any team that lacks a phazer, and one turn of set-up and it could easily set up and outstall your entire team. I hold my breath in anticipation, and select Close Combat.

It's super effective!
Clefable lost 63% of its health.
how's that happen? and good warstory nonetheless. I enjoyed it.

Excellent warstory , very entertaining. I would have gone for the Quick Attack in your shoes as well, possible OHKO and Primeape is Scarfed a very large % of the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)