Pokémon Absol

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's still a prediction game with Absol b/c even with magic bounce, opponents can boost their stats, if one chooses to spam sucker punch early. however, absol might just be forced to use sucker punch on the first turn in which it mega-evolves. if i understand the mechanics correctly, sucker punch priority will allow it to mega evolve before the opponent moves. you could use protect as with other megas but u gain nothing, whereas with absol, u can get some massive damage in. I only wish it would have gotten an increase in defenses. i have my doubts on this thing making OU

Mega Evolution happens at the start of the turn, it is only out-prioritized by switching. It will ALWAYS happen before either Pokemon moves. What Sucker Punch does is put a lot of Pokemon in a checkmate position. If they're faster but don't resist Sucker Punch, then they are putting themselves at a pretty big risk in attacking because you're staring down the most powerful priority attack in all of Pokemon. If they're a support Pokemon, trying to set up hazards or status Absol is great for the Absol user because you get Magic Bounce before they can move. So yes, they could try setting up boosts, but if they're slower than MegaAbsol (totally plausible given how fucking fast he becomes) they're in for some hurt on the next turn.

It's still a prediction game with Absol b/c even with magic bounce, opponents can boost their stats, if one chooses to spam sucker punch early. however, absol might just be forced to use sucker punch on the first turn in which it mega-evolves. if i understand the mechanics correctly, sucker punch priority will allow it to mega evolve before the opponent moves. you could use protect as with other megas but u gain nothing, whereas with absol, u can get some massive damage in. I only wish it would have gotten an increase in defenses. i have my doubts on this thing making OU
You mega evolve immediatly...but you use the original form's speed on the transformation turn. But that doesn't matter since priority moves > speed. That is why Sucker Punch is good. It is one of the few Megas that can hit with a powerful stab priority move from the get-go.

Last edited:
You mega evolve immediatly...but you use the original form's speed on the transformation turn. But that doesn't matter since priority moves > speed. That is why Sucker Punch is good. It is one of the few Megas that can hit with a powerful stab priority move from the get-go.
Oh. I understand. Thanks for the clarification on the mechanics guys.

On another note, does anyone think the speed boost justify use of status moves or semi phazing moves like perish song? Or should it just stick to attacking. Me First gimmicky of course but I see it as a sure counter to mega lucario when it uses close combat

Me First gimmicky of course but I see it as a sure counter to mega lucario when it uses close combat
That... is actually a great idea, if not for the fact that most Lukes would prefer to Bullet Punch you quickly. I'd stick to Fire Blast for handling them.

Once PokeBank goes live, and we get access to older tutors what kind of a threat would a Mega Lucario running Vacuum Wave be to Mega Absol? It could take a Sucker Punch pretty easily, and hit back with an Adaptability boosted Vacuum Wave.

Special lucario probably won't be very common (or good tbh) but it's not like Absol should ever stay in on any variant of Lucario regardless. Absol does not want to take LO extremespeeds or adaptability bullet punches.

I wouldn't discount Normal Absol so quickly either. If the Critical Hit rate increased this generation, Super Luck Absol maybe become very dangerous.

Is there room for a pure-attacker here?

Something like Fire Blast/Sucker Punch/Night Slash/Psycho Cut. Jolly nature.

Also how worth it is it getting Justified and Superpower? Wondering if I should wait for the pokemon bank to go up before training one of these up or if I can just do it now.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Justified is currently obtainable without Pokemon Bank, but as far as I know, Superpower is a tutor move, so it isn't. Superpower will allow Absol to nail Pokemon like Blissey/Chansey (you weren't really doing that with Sucker Punch,) Heatran, any non-Scarf, non-Sash Terrakion (as far as I know Superpower OHKOes but Psycho Cut doesn't,) and Tyranitar. Even moreso the latter three, as they were high OU last generation and I don't see that changing much in XY. Getting a Justified Superpower Absol in BW2 and transferring to XY once Pokemon Bank is up is definitely worth it (Just... Have fun with those Hidden Grottoes)

Still mulling over movesets. What do you guys think of something like this?

Swords Dance
Superpower
Pursuit/Fire Blast/Night Slash/Psycho Cut
Sucker Punch

Pursuit hits stuff on the switch, and can be used when you think your opponent is going to boost/sub. (And it hits hard enough to break most subs I think, as far as things that both outrun it and aren't weak to superpower.) Night Slash hits harder, but I think I like the trapping potential of pursuit more. Psycho Cut gives it more coverage too, hitting fighting types pretty hard, but mach punch is so prevalent. Fire Blast gives really good coverage and MAbsol has the Special Attack to run it. It's also pretty unexpected and keeps him from getting walled by skarmory and scizor (mega or otherwise).

I think out of those four I like Fire Blast best. Though limiting Absol to Sucker Punch as it's STAB seems risky to me.

Going over moves and potential roles for the mega evolution of my favourite pokemon when this set sprang forth.

(Mega) Absol
Item: Absolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Nature: Adamant/Naughty/Jolly/Naive
-Detect
-Sucker Punch
-Pursuit
-Shadow Claw

This set requires predictions, but could possibly function well as an anti-hazard lead and trapper. The basic strategy would be immediate mega evolution with Detect to ensure a safe transition. Pursuit or Sucker Punch could be used as well, but that is much more risky. After crippling entry hazards, the opponent must either switch or attack, with either option resulting in a massive smack to the face. Detect can also be used to scout pokemon like Lucario that might being trying to bluff a mega stone and have a choice item instead. Shadow Claw might be seen as filler, but it grants coverage against Steel and Fairy, types that resist the other two moves. The natures and EVs boost Attack and Speed as desired. Higher speed might seem odd, but other priority moves exists. (I'm looking at you Scizor)

Just the musings of a massive procrastinator.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Protect > Detect

Anyway... Why run Shadow Claw? Shadow Claw is completely redundant alongside Absol's STAB. So... Why? Also, running Protect + Sucker Punch + Pursuit doesn't leave Absol a lot of room for its last move. Honestly, if I wanted a set with Pursuit, I probably wouldn't run Protect on it. I like having those coverage moves.

I normally just lurk around but I learned while breeding that one of Absol's egg moves is Play Rough. Don't know how much it helps Absol but its there.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I normally just lurk around but I learned while breeding that one of Absol's egg moves is Play Rough. Don't know how much it helps Absol but its there.
Can I see a screenshot? I don't see anything in the research thread confirming this so I'm obliged to ask for a screenshot.

If true, though, then Play Rough is basically a better option than Psycho Cut on any set.

I just literally found out about it now. I'll post the screenshot on the other thread too.
Who learns Play Rough that can pass it to Absol? I was about to start breeding them, but after I checked a bit I thought his movepool wasn't really good. Him learning a Fairy attack is kinda good news.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Who learns Play Rough that can pass it to Absol? I was about to start breeding them, but after I checked a bit I thought his movepool wasn't really good. Him learning a Fairy attack is kinda good news.
Mawile is in the Field egg group.

Smeargle can also pass it down.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Skitty learns Play Rough at Level 49, so male versions can breed with female Absol and transfer Play Rough to the child.

And yeah, Absol having Play Rough is actually sort of good for it, as Play Rough has superior coverage (also hits Fighting-types and helps against Dark- and Dragon-types without having to resort to Superpower) and power (base 90!) to Psycho Cut. Absol is shaping up to be an interesting 'mon.

Mawile is in the Field egg group.

Smeargle can also pass it down.
Oops, I didnt think about that before. I've been breeding first some Jolly Smeargles so I could get a better chance of passing some good IVs to my Justified Female Absol and the nature I wanted. Now I just need to get my Smeargle to sketch the Play Rough and properly start breeding Absols.

Thanks a lot!

Skitty learns Play Rough at Level 49, so male versions can breed with female Absol and transfer Play Rough to the child.

And yeah, Absol having Play Rough is actually sort of good for it, as Play Rough has superior coverage (also hits Fighting-types and helps against Dark- and Dragon-types without having to resort to Superpower) and power (base 90!) to Psycho Cut. Absol is shaping up to be an interesting 'mon.
And now I know who I have to level up in order to get Play Rough easily. Thanks!

Does anyone have a spare Female Justified Absol? None of the people on my Friend Roster has the 'Dark' room unlocked for me on the Safari. I apologize if this isn't the right place to ask for this, and if it isn't, a link would be appreciated. Thanks (:

Now I'm not claiming that this is a good idea in practice, but it seems to me like GameFreak is setting up Mega Absol to be the ultimate Me First Pokémon. Huge boosts in Attack, SpAtk, and Speed, with Magic Bounce as a way to passively fight status and encourage your opponents to attack you. Honestly, I'd be surprised if this weren't the entire point of Absol's mega evolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)