Archeops (Analysis)

This is probably Archeops's most used set, and for a good reason. With a base 140 Attack, which unboosted reaches416 using a Naughty nature and max Attack EVs, nothing is going to want to take even a neutral hit from this guy, let alone a super effective hit

I jus wish quick guard would block and opponant from using priority movies for like 5 turns, it would be pretty useful on him

I just realized this.

If Archeops receives a +2 Attack boost through Baton Pass, then it will have its normal value if Defeatist kicks in.
For Special Attack, Archeops can receive a Tail Glow boost from Volbeat (+3). It will then have a +1 if Defeatist kicks in.

I do know that Archeops's Attack and Sp. Attack have their values halved and not -2 stages.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just realized this.

If Archeops receives a +2 Attack boost through Baton Pass, then it will have its normal value if Defeatist kicks in.
For Special Attack, Archeops can receive a Tail Glow boost from Volbeat (+3). It will then have a +1 if Defeatist kicks in.

I do know that Archeops's Attack and Sp. Attack have their values halved and not -2 stages.
Not quite for +3 spa, which is a 2.5 multiplier, *1/2 = 1.25. Better than 1/2 I guess, but have fun passing those.

Archeops is far from bad, it can hit really hard from both sides of the spectrum despite it's ability hindering it, it doesn't hinder it as much as Slaking and Regigigas. The best you can do are sweeper sets utilizing an Expert Belt. Choice items will make you switch out too much and it takes maximum 3 switches to get Defeatist to activate. Life Orb is almost unusable as the recoil will also activate Defeatist. It has Agility and Rock Polish which means that with proper timing, you could send its speed skyrocketing.

name: Physical Sweeper
move 1: Stone Edge
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Agility/Dragon Claw/Hone Claws
item: Expert Belt
nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
While you get up agilities or hone claws they are hitting you. With it's frailness the boosts will be nothing when you reach half health. Run a sitrus berry maybe?

Give this little mother Wish support from something with Gargantuan HP like Alomomola or Blissey/Chansey and you have one of the scariest threats EVER.

With a boosted attack in Acrobatics thanks to Flying Gem, Archeops is capable of 2HKOing even Ferrothorn, which is very impressive.* Stone Edge and Earthquake grant Archeops the infamous EdgeQuake combination, granting Archeops nearly perfect coverage, hitting the entire metagame for neutral damage, barring Bronzong, Breloom, and Virizion.
Missing period

Isn't head smash an option, it hits ridiculously hard, and if you have wish support you can potentially keep smashing shit up.

Isn't head smash an option, it hits ridiculously hard, and if you have wish support you can potentially keep smashing shit up.
With the recoil on Head Smash, plus how hard Archeops can hit...Well, let's just say it would probably activate Defeatist in just one hit, if it isn't on something weakened.

This is probably Archeops's most used set, and for a good reason. With a base 140 Attack, which unboosted reaches416 using a Naughty nature and max Attack EVs, nothing is going to want to take even a neutral hit from this guy, let alone a super effective hit. With a boosted attack in Acrobatics thanks to Flying Gem, Archeops is capable of 2HKOing even Ferrothorn, which is very impressive Stone Edge and Earthquake grant Archeops the infamous EdgeQuake combination, granting Archeops nearly perfect coverage, hitting the entire metagame for neutral damage, barring Bronzong, Breloom, and Virizion. The fourth moveslot is filled with Hidden Power Ice, as with its base 112 Special Attack stat, Archeops has a 100% chance of 2HKOing Gliscor. Naive is the preferred nature over Naughty because it allows you to speed tie with Pokemon like Latios and Gengar who share your 110 base Speed.
Noobquestion: Is the 2HKO on Ferrothorn possible with a naive nature or only if you got a naughty nature?

I know Archeops has already been finished, but I have been using a mixed set with some VERY nice results

Name: Mixeops
Move 1: Stone Edge
Move 2: Earth Power
Move 3: Hidden Power (Ice)
Move 4: Hone Claws/Focus Blast/Acrobatics
Item: Ice Gem/Expert Belt/Flight Gem
Nature: Naive
EVs: 12 Atk, 252 SpA, 244 Spe

The general idea of this set is to pop in on something it can scare out, Hone Claws as it switches out, and take off from there. Or, if the prediction is there, HP Ice as it switches out
Stone Edge is for STAB, and will not miss after a Hone Claws. Earth Power forms an EdgeQuake that hits both sides HP Ice powered by the gem will take care of some counters (It will 2HKO Baton Bass Gliscor, including the Yache Berry), or destroy dragons. Lastly, Hone Claws is to help SE and boost. If so wished, Hone Claws can be replaced with Acrobatics, Crunch, or Focus Blast. The former taking advantage of the Flight Gem, Crunch hitting ghosts such as Jellicent SE, and Focus Blast having a 93.75% chance of getting the OHKO on the standard Ferrothorn (100% if expert belt is used)

Pardon my ignorance, but why no U-Turn? Especially on the Flying Gem set, you get 1 high power attack and your opponent is surely going to switch in a resist to take the hit.

Why aren't the four evs in def in the first set put into spa? ...likewise, add a space between reaches and 416 on the first set.

Just a few nitpicks.

First set, SET COMMENTS:
This is probably Archeops's most used set, and for a good reason. With a base 140 Attack, which unboosted reaches(space)416 using a Naughty nature and max Attack EVs, nothing is going to want to take even a neutral hit from this guy, let alone a super effective hit. With a boosted attack in Acrobatics thanks to Flying Gem, Archeops is capable of 2HKOing even Ferrothorn, which is very impressive.
Second set, SET COMMENTS:
The item choice is a tricky one; Leftovers can keep you above the 50% health line more easily, while Expert Belt can give you an extra boost in super effective attacks.</p>
Second set, ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
Rapid Spin support should always be considered when building your team around Archeops: due to his Stealth Rock weakness, Rapid Spin support is almost essential if you want to use him to his full potential.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I just have one question: why is there no mention of U-turn? Being as agile as Archeops is, most of the time it can U-turn out of a few dangerous situations and, in cases such as constant switches, eases predicting a bit.

With Stealth Rock and Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs, U-turn is a pretty suicidal move. Archeops just seems like a one-shot pokemon, maybe coming in a second time. Not to say that it's completely useless with Defeatist activated, if you can hit the rest of your opponent's team with Archeops' super-effective moves, it barely makes a difference.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
U-turn should be an option in the fourth slot to keep up momentum after defeatist has activated/in general. why would you need hp ice when you can just u-turn into your gliscor counter and force it out/take it down.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
U-turn should be an option in the fourth slot to keep up momentum after defeatist has activated/in general. why would you need hp ice when you can just u-turn into your gliscor counter and force it out/take it down.
Because the ability to take down one of the most prominent defensive threats in OU without the burden of Stealth Rock and additional team support is extremely useful, actually. U-turn just deserves a mention at best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)