(Archive) Small Subjective Changes Thread

The criteria for ordering of sets is based loosely on usage and simultaneously on "quality". We don't want to advertise terrible sets just because they're used a lot, but in a similar manner, usually things that are used a lot are good. We'll look into it.

I mentioned this in another thread but it was ignored by most people, claiming they "know what they are doing" and then i got suggested to post here. They also didn't even check the analysis, one guy saying that the speed evs on vaporeon were required to outspeed skarmory, when the current vaporeon has no suggested speed ev's. Another said that 401 hp is a lefties number, as far as I'm aware a lefties number is a hp stat that is divisible by 16.

Bassically Vaporeon and Swampert's suggested evs spreads are inneficiant. More duel defences can be gained out of them.

Firstly Vaporeon.
Current: 188hp/252 defence/68 special defence
Suggested: 252 hp/224 defence/32 special defence

When making a pokemon intended to take hits from both sides, you should max out hp, unless the Hp stat doubles both defences. For Vaporeon even its huge hp stat does not double both the defences, so this ev spread is better.

To prove it with damage calcs
248 attack Machamp Dynamic Punch vs Current 188hp/252 def
= 39.5% - 46.4%
Vs suggested 252 hp/224 def
= 39% - 46.1%

as you can see, the suggested ev spread has better defence than the current.

252 life orb gengar vs current 188hp/68sp.def
= 37.1% - 43.8%
vs suggested 252hp/32sp.def
= 37.1% - 44%

As you can see the special defence is almost identical, and there is more physical defence. You can play around with the ev's, I'm just saying the current ev spread is inefficient, and shouldn't be on there. Maxing out HP still provides a lefties number, just like the current set btw.

Secondly Swampert, its a similar thing:
Current: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SpD
Suggested 248/212def/48sp.def

Damage calcs
Machamp vs
Current = 35.9% - 42.1%
Suggested = 35.7% - 41.9%

Gengar vs
Current = 44.1% - 51.9%
Suggested = 43.9% - 51.6%

I chose not to max out HP, because its not a lefties number, and that is what the current set suggests, to take less damage from residuel damage. Although swampert is immune to SS and resists stealth rock, so I personally recommend a lefties number and maxing out HP. I only used 248 to keep it the same but better than the current.

quote from 'chris is me'
"In short, and to be blunt, we know what we're doing...

Vaporeon has massive HP and low defenses, throwing it all in HP makes it less able to take physical hits which is its primary purpose. Considering you completely arbitrarily pulled "224 def" and "32 sdef" as stat numbers out of thin air, I'm willing to say we've done our homework on this one a bit. The 68 speed gets Rhyperior but also Skarmory, which is a very big deal

Swampert is built that way to get 401 HP (leftovers number + Blissey hit survival) and that SR damage does less than 404 HP even with the resistance.

Improvement's great and all but if you're going to say spreads are inefficient make sure your own facts are backed up too!"

As previously mentioned the 68 speed bit made me lol, as that isnt even suggested anymore. Clearly the guy who told me to do my research has not done his own. I suggest you amend the changes, and I hope this gets a better reception than my previous post.

thank you for reading

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
First of all, your new spreads are not as good as you're making them out to be. The change in physical damage is absolutely minimal and is not making/breaking games.
Vaporeon isn't even listed as having 68 Speed because it was updated and since rhyperior no longer exists and Skarmory now invests in speed. At 16 EVs, the minimum suggested, Skarm hits 180. Vaporeon needs over 120 EVs to outspend it. Sure, Chris is me is wrong, but so are you. The set on site works fine.

The same with Swampert. We don't pull our on site EVs out of nowhere. They have been tested. Once again, your new spread has minimal changes from the current, the only difference being 240 EVs gets 401HP. 401 / 16 = 25 and 1/16. This is a leftovers number (divisible by 16 then +1). Your spread gives 403, which is worse, as 401 is the absolute minimum to take as little damage from Rocks as possible, while maximizing lefties recovery with as little HP EVs as possible. The reason we do this is to have more EVs to spend elsewhere.

The ones we currently have on site are superior, and LOTS of testing has made sure that they are as good as physically possible.

Vaporeon isn't even listed as having 68 Speed because it was updated and since rhyperior no longer exists and Skarmory now invests in speed.
oO
you as dumb as 'chris is me'

I never said that lol, I said 68 special defence, in fact I even bolded my no speed evs point lol and I said "the current vaporeon set has no suggested speed ev's"

But your ignoring the main point that my ev's outclass the current ev's for vaporeon as the calcs show, both lefties numbers, myne take hits better. Also the Vaporeon spread has not had vigorous testing lol, even an ape can work out how that spread was made, some1 took the old spread of 188hp/252defence/68 speed and just moved the speed ev's to special defence because like you said they are no longer needed. A fairly lazy thing to do, and it made the ev spread inefficient, I have proved that because I have made a set with better defences by re-distributing the stats. Don't phob me off with your LOTS of testing BS lol, the vaporeon set definitely needs to change.

403hp and 401hp give the same amount of leftovers recovery lol and also take the same amount of residuel damage, except my set takes hits better. It might be minimal, but that doesnt give you an excuse to suggest inneficiant ev spreads lol.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
As previously mentioned the 68 speed bit made me lol, as that isnt even suggested anymore. Clearly the guy who told me to do my research has not done his own.
And you have the absolute GALL to say I'm dumb. Secondly, at the time, there used to be Speed EVs on Vaporeon, but these were removed because they were found to be ineffecient.

And no. Your spreads are ineffective. The damage is minimal - in almost every instance the percentages are exactly the same when rounded to an integer. You have decided to move your EVs around elsewhere. Also, the spread was not "made by an ape", the original 188 HP/252 Def is the crux of the set since that is what allowed it to survive things like Mence and Gyarados, way back when. Just because the EVs were moved from Speed to Special Defense makes no difference; it's not like Vaporeon is concentrating on Special Defense and those 68 EVs prevent any KOes.

And this is the bottom line to why your spreads are worse: they take more damage overall. And no, don't even spout shit about how your percentages are slightly less; 39.5% of 448 HP is 176ish, whereas 39% of 464 is 180. You are increasing the HP but you are also increasing the amount of raw damage taken as a result of lower Defensive investment.

This may be news to you, but having a HP and defensive stats be roughly balanced is actually better than having massive HP and lower defense. This is why we put as 252 Def EVs and less HP EVs. Also, if you had bothered to read what is says in the AC, you'll find that 252/252 on Vaporeon isn't as helpful, so those EVs can be moved over just to help Vaporeon a little. 100*100 is greater than 150*50 by a long shot. That's what you're doing; reducing defenses and adding to HP. Just because your calcs show a tiny decrease doesn't mean they're better. Like I originally said with Swampert, 401 is better since you're using as little EVs as possible, thus have more to invest elsewhere.

You really think these spreads weren't tested and tested again? I'm more convinced you were the one who pulled your EV spread out of an apple, most likely sitting there playing with the EVs in Shoddy or whatever and calcing damage until yours took less damage. Next time, do some PROPER testing and research before you call other people dumb and think that you must be correct, because in this case, you are wrong.

And you have the absolute GALL to say I'm dumb. Secondly, at the time, there used to be Speed EVs on Vaporeon, but these were removed because they were found to be ineffecient.

And no. Your spreads are ineffective. The damage is minimal - in almost every instance the percentages are exactly the same when rounded to an integer. You have decided to move your EVs around elsewhere. Also, the spread was not "made by an ape", the original 188 HP/252 Def is the crux of the set since that is what allowed it to survive things like Mence and Gyarados, way back when. Just because the EVs were moved from Speed to Special Defense makes no difference; it's not like Vaporeon is concentrating on Special Defense and those 68 EVs prevent any KOes.

And this is the bottom line to why your spreads are worse: they take more damage overall. And no, don't even spout shit about how your percentages are slightly less; 39.5% of 448 HP is 176ish, whereas 39% of 464 is 180. You are increasing the HP but you are also increasing the amount of raw damage taken as a result of lower Defensive investment.

This may be news to you, but having a HP and defensive stats be roughly balanced is actually better than having massive HP and lower defense. This is why we put as 252 Def EVs and less HP EVs. Also, if you had bothered to read what is says in the AC, you'll find that 252/252 on Vaporeon isn't as helpful, so those EVs can be moved over just to help Vaporeon a little. 100*100 is greater than 150*50 by a long shot. That's what you're doing; reducing defenses and adding to HP. Just because your calcs show a tiny decrease doesn't mean they're better. Like I originally said with Swampert, 401 is better since you're using as little EVs as possible, thus have more to invest elsewhere.

You really think these spreads weren't tested and tested again? I'm more convinced you were the one who pulled your EV spread out of an apple, most likely sitting there playing with the EVs in Shoddy or whatever and calcing damage until yours took less damage. Next time, do some PROPER testing and research before you call other people dumb and think that you must be correct, because in this case, you are wrong.
Ok this is just funny. Firstly I never said you were dumb, I said are you? and your post has proven that you are in fact a complete idiot.

Firstly the quote was me laughing at 'chris is me' because he said that vaporeon has speed ev's, I said that vaporeon has special defence ev's, so your bad there. Read my whole post if you still don't understand. Also read the bit you quoted rolf, I said in that bit that it isn't even suggested anymore.

Secondly lol at the more damage, if you have more hp and lower defences corse you gonna take more damage, BUT YOU HAVE MORE HP LEFT BECAUSE YOU HAD MORE TO START WITH. I proved with damage calcs that my spread takes hit's better as it takes a lower percentage. Why do you think people always give damage calcs as a percentage. That is pretty dumb of you tbh. Anyone wud rather take 20% damage instead 30%, and your gonna live longer because you have more percentage hp left.

Using your example of 100, its better to have a hp stat of 100 and duel defences of 50 (100 + 50 + 50 = 200 so its a 200 stat total). 100 x 50 = 5000.

Now with a lower hp of 50 and duel 75 defences (50 + 75 +75 = 200 still a 200 stat total).
50 x 75 = 3750.

Wow wud you look at that, I do know what I'm talking about.

if your focusing on just one side of the spectrum then you would be right, maxing out the lower stat be it hp of defence is better. However when putting ev's into both stats its more efficient to put it into HP, as my calcs have shown. The only time not to do this is when the hp stat doubles both defences. Even logic dictates this, hp affects both sides, so more hp is better.

I am one to make judgements quickly, and my image of you is pretty darn funny

I mentioned this in another thread but it was ignored by most people, claiming they "know what they are doing" and then i got suggested to post here. They also didn't even check the analysis, one guy saying that the speed evs on vaporeon were required to outspeed skarmory, when the current vaporeon has no suggested speed ev's. Another said that 401 hp is a lefties number, as far as I'm aware a lefties number is a hp stat that is divisible by 16.

Bassically Vaporeon and Swampert's suggested evs spreads are inneficiant. More duel defences can be gained out of them.

Firstly Vaporeon.
Current: 188hp/252 defence/68 special defence
Suggested: 252 hp/224 defence/32 special defence

When making a pokemon intended to take hits from both sides, you should max out hp, unless the Hp stat doubles both defences. For Vaporeon even its huge hp stat does not double both the defences, so this ev spread is better.

To prove it with damage calcs
248 attack Machamp Dynamic Punch vs Current 188hp/252 def
= 39.5% - 46.4%
Vs suggested 252 hp/224 def
= 39% - 46.1%

as you can see, the suggested ev spread has better defence than the current.

252 life orb gengar vs current 188hp/68sp.def
= 37.1% - 43.8%
vs suggested 252hp/32sp.def
= 37.1% - 44%

As you can see the special defence is almost identical, and there is more physical defence. You can play around with the ev's, I'm just saying the current ev spread is inefficient, and shouldn't be on there. Maxing out HP still provides a lefties number, just like the current set btw.

Secondly Swampert, its a similar thing:
Current: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SpD
Suggested 248/212def/48sp.def

Damage calcs
Machamp vs
Current = 35.9% - 42.1%
Suggested = 35.7% - 41.9%

Gengar vs
Current = 44.1% - 51.9%
Suggested = 43.9% - 51.6%

I chose not to max out HP, because its not a lefties number, and that is what the current set suggests, to take less damage from residuel damage. Although swampert is immune to SS and resists stealth rock, so I personally recommend a lefties number and maxing out HP. I only used 248 to keep it the same but better than the current.

quote from 'chris is me'
"In short, and to be blunt, we know what we're doing...

Vaporeon has massive HP and low defenses, throwing it all in HP makes it less able to take physical hits which is its primary purpose. Considering you completely arbitrarily pulled "224 def" and "32 sdef" as stat numbers out of thin air, I'm willing to say we've done our homework on this one a bit. The 68 speed gets Rhyperior but also Skarmory, which is a very big deal

Swampert is built that way to get 401 HP (leftovers number + Blissey hit survival) and that SR damage does less than 404 HP even with the resistance.

Improvement's great and all but if you're going to say spreads are inefficient make sure your own facts are backed up too!"

As previously mentioned the 68 speed bit made me lol, as that isnt even suggested anymore. Clearly the guy who told me to do my research has not done his own. I suggest you amend the changes, and I hope this gets a better reception than my previous post.

thank you for reading
Looks good to me. Not a huge difference but I'm suprised people did not give this more attention since it makes sense to me.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/registeel

In Optional Changes...
A "RegiLure" set can be employed to lure out Registeel's normal counters, outspeed them, and KO them; Flash Cannon / Hidden Power Water / Thunderbolt / Explosion with an EV spread of 64 HP / 196 SpA / 248 Spe and a Mild nature and Occa Berry is an example of such a set. Rhyperior and Donphan are both 2HKOed by Hidden Power Water, as are the Fire-types that normally switch into Registeel. Flash Cannon hits many Pokemon quite hard, and Thunderbolt can hit Water-types super effectively.
A BaitSteel set was recently added to Registeel's analysis, so it doesn't need to be mentioned here anymore.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Well, that set has a completely different moveset than the one that was just added (plus the name is different.) I think I'll just add a couple words like:

"A specially-based "RegiLure" set can be employed.."

Besides, with that section gone, there's like nothing left in OC, lol.

Thanks Honko.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/registeel

In Optional Changes...
A BaitSteel set was recently added to Registeel's analysis, so it doesn't need to be mentioned here anymore.
Well, that set has a completely different moveset than the one that was just added (plus the name is different.) I think I'll just add a couple words like:

"A specially-based "RegiLure" set can be employed.."

Besides, with that section gone, there's like nothing left in OC, lol.

Thanks Honko.

I'm not sure if this is the place to put this, but it seems like it. Ifound a few issues with the "LIttle Cup, Big World" article.

Immunity Teams said:
Immunity teams are teams that run off of coming in on resisted or immune attacks. A common example is bringing a Paras, Croagunk, or Poliwag in on a Wailmer’s Water Spout, a very deadly move in Little Cup. Pokémon with Levitate are also very common on immunity teams, as they can switch in on an Earthquake, and in most cases, cause the opposing Pokémon to switch out. A common example is bringing a Paras or Croagunk in on a Wailmer’s Water Spout, a very deadly move in Little Cup.
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/little_cup_guide#immunity

This is very redundant: perhaps a second example would be a good idea, rather than commenting on Wailmer's Water Spout twice in a row. Perhaps another example would be in order.

As well, I have a comment on Move Legality.
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/little_cup_guide#moves

Firstly, under the subheadings, "Genderless Pokemon" is not hyperlinked to, however "D/P introduced moves", "Third Generation Move Tutors/Other Game Special Moves" and "Event Moves" are.

As well, under "Genderless Pokemon", the Pomeg Glitch is mentioned. However, 2 sections later, the following is stated:

Third Generation Move Tutors/Other Game Special Moves said:
Special moves from Pokémon Box eggs are illegal with any level-up or egg move, as they come from a pre-made egg that hatches at Level 5. This is the reason why Belly Drum + ExtremeSpeed Zigzagoon is illegal; as ExtremeSpeed comes from an egg from Pokémon Box, and it hatches at Level 5. For Belly Drum to be available to that Zigzagoon, it would be needed for two Linoone with Belly Drum to breed, but that egg cannot hatch with ExtremeSpeed.
This not only indirectly contradicts the Pomeg Glitch commentary, but the Zigzagoon page ( http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/zigzagoon ) lists Belly Drum + Extremespeed as a set option.

I hope this is placed in the right thread, and will post any other issues with this article if I find them.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
I'm not sure if this is the place to put this, but it seems like it. Ifound a few issues with the "LIttle Cup, Big World" article.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/little_cup_guide#immunity

This is very redundant: perhaps a second example would be a good idea, rather than commenting on Wailmer's Water Spout twice in a row. Perhaps another example would be in order.
The second sentence is a carbon copy of the first, so I removed it.

As well, I have a comment on Move Legality.
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/little_cup_guide#moves

Firstly, under the subheadings, "Genderless Pokemon" is not hyperlinked to, however "D/P introduced moves", "Third Generation Move Tutors/Other Game Special Moves" and "Event Moves" are.
HTML issue. Fixed.

As well, under "Genderless Pokemon", the Pomeg Glitch is mentioned. However, 2 sections later, the following is stated:

This not only indirectly contradicts the Pomeg Glitch commentary, but the Zigzagoon page ( http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/zigzagoon ) lists Belly Drum + Extremespeed as a set option.

I hope this is placed in the right thread, and will post any other issues with this article if I find them.
I fixed this to reflect the Pomeg Glitch.
You should have posted this in the Objective changes thread since it isn't a problem with content, just a problem with the how its presented.

thanks very much.

Not sure if it should go here, but An Introduction to Competitive Battling is outdated:

The current simulator used by Smogon members is Pokémon Laboratory, the successor to Shoddy Battle. This simulator brings to the table a completely new battle engine framework designed to be both extremely accurate and highly maintainable. Currently only Gen 4 is supported. Like Shoddy Battle, this program is free as in freedom, meaning that the source code is available to study, modify, and redistribute under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
Click here to download Pokémon Laboratory
Smogon does not endorse Pokemon Laboratory any more, and uses Pokemon Online instead. I can see this article misleading newer players into downloading what is essentially a redundant program.

In Mesprit's UU Optional Changes, Trick Room is mentioned, but Trick Room has now its own set, so it shouldn't be mentioned in OC.

UU

Since Mesprit has such a wide movepool, there are so many viable options it can use. Charm is great for lowering a physical sweeper's Attack stat, forcing them to use weakened attacks or switch out. Magic Coat is helpful for bouncing back nasty status moves that can cripple Mesprit. Trick Room is a great option with Mesprit's great defensive stats and access to U-turn; using a negative Speed nature with a low Speed IV will make Mesprit slower than many Pokémon in the UU tier. Healing Wish is helpful when setting up screens as it can replenish a weakened teammate's health, although it comes at the cost of Mesprit's life. ThunderPunch is an option on the Physical Choice set as it can hit bulky Water-types, such as Slowbro, for super effective damage.
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/mesprit

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/Crobat

The Stallbreaker set, second paragraph states the following:

"An alternate EV spread of 168 HP / 88 Def / 252 Spe can be used as this gives Brave Bird more power in order to KO other threats to your team."

I fail to see how this EV spread would give more power to any attack considering it has zero EVs in either attacking stat. Should it say "with an Adamant nature"?

Lanturn has an UU and a OU analysis, but the UU analysis has a lot of mentions of OU. Shouldn't they be removed?

Lanturn's best use doesn't really depend on what tier it's being used in, but more on what Pokemon are being used in the respective tier; Lanturn can switch into most Fire-, Water-, Electric-, and Ice-type special attackers with relative ease even in OU. In UU, however, is where Lanturn really shines. Almost no other Pokemon can hold its own in the diverse special attacking metagame of UU, catching switches on bulky and offensive Fire- and Water-types alike. Even with all of these formidable resistances, however, Lanturn simply cannot take repeated beatings, resisted or not, without proper team support. Smart play and knowing Lanturn's limits are important when using it. With enough practice and experience, Lanturn makes a unique and colorful addition to any team.

Lanturn makes a unique special tank in UU and even OU environments thanks mostly to its typing and ability. While most bulky Water-types fear STAB Electric attacks, Lanturn actually enjoys them, restoring health on impact. Even though most of its stats aren't overly impressive at first glance, Lanturn's resistances to some of the most common special attacks (Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, Surf, Ice Beam) allow it to absorb special hits left and right.

The first thing Lanturn wants in a teammate is immunity or indifference to powerful Earthquakes aimed at Lanturn. Considering Flying-types both do this and also resist Grass, Lanturn's other weakness, they are strong defensive partners. The cherry on top is that Flying is also weak to Electric, a type that Lanturn enjoys switching in on. Some good candidates for this role are Altaria, who has access to instant recovery and who is 4x weak to Ice, a type Lanturn resists, and Moltres, who also has access to instant recovery in Roost. Lanturn makes a formidable switch-in to bulky Water-types in UU like Milotic and Slowbro, so Pokemon who are looking for a way to get around these two walls are generally good attacking partners. Should you wish to take advantage of Lanturn's paralysis-spreading ability, slower attackers like Marowak and Hariyama become usable. Wish support is a never ending stable utility for Lanturn; some good users to pair with are Grass-types like Exeggutor and Leafeon, or the more usable Chansey and Clefable in UU. In OU, Dragonite and Togekiss are resistant to both of Lanturn's weaknesses, both sporting especially important immunities to Ground-type attacks.

Hydro Pump is viable on all sets as a more powerful Water STAB attack (especially on the more offensive sets) and is recommended for use in OU, where a neutral Surf will fail to do significant damage to the likes of Zapdos and Metagross. With a Life Orb held, Lanturn can become quite the offensive presence when sporting Agility and its three favorite coverage moves in Hydro Pump, Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam. However, the EVs needed to be invested in Speed, and the lack of Leftovers recovery hurts Lanturn's walling potential so should be avoided. Stockpile can turn Lanturn into a threatening tank after a few boosts; however, it will usually be forced out by a strong STAB Earthquake or Leaf Storm.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/lanturn

Oglemi

Borf
Lanturn has an UU and a OU analysis, but the UU analysis has a lot of mentions of OU. Shouldn't they be removed?

Lanturn's best use doesn't really depend on what tier it's being used in, but more on what Pokemon are being used in the respective tier; Lanturn can switch into most Fire-, Water-, Electric-, and Ice-type special attackers with relative ease even in OU. In UU, however, is where Lanturn really shines. Almost no other Pokemon can hold its own in the diverse special attacking metagame of UU, catching switches on bulky and offensive Fire- and Water-types alike. Even with all of these formidable resistances, however, Lanturn simply cannot take repeated beatings, resisted or not, without proper team support. Smart play and knowing Lanturn's limits are important when using it. With enough practice and experience, Lanturn makes a unique and colorful addition to any team.

Lanturn makes a unique special tank in UU and even OU environments thanks mostly to its typing and ability. While most bulky Water-types fear STAB Electric attacks, Lanturn actually enjoys them, restoring health on impact. Even though most of its stats aren't overly impressive at first glance, Lanturn's resistances to some of the most common special attacks (Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, Surf, Ice Beam) allow it to absorb special hits left and right.

The first thing Lanturn wants in a teammate is immunity or indifference to powerful Earthquakes aimed at Lanturn. Considering Flying-types both do this and also resist Grass, Lanturn's other weakness, they are strong defensive partners. The cherry on top is that Flying is also weak to Electric, a type that Lanturn enjoys switching in on. Some good candidates for this role are Altaria, who has access to instant recovery and who is 4x weak to Ice, a type Lanturn resists, and Moltres, who also has access to instant recovery in Roost. Lanturn makes a formidable switch-in to bulky Water-types in UU like Milotic and Slowbro, so Pokemon who are looking for a way to get around these two walls are generally good attacking partners. Should you wish to take advantage of Lanturn's paralysis-spreading ability, slower attackers like Marowak and Hariyama become usable. Wish support is a never ending stable utility for Lanturn; some good users to pair with are Grass-types like Exeggutor and Leafeon, or the more usable Chansey and Clefable in UU. In OU, Dragonite and Togekiss are resistant to both of Lanturn's weaknesses, both sporting especially important immunities to Ground-type attacks.

Hydro Pump is viable on all sets as a more powerful Water STAB attack (especially on the more offensive sets) and is recommended for use in OU, where a neutral Surf will fail to do significant damage to the likes of Zapdos and Metagross. With a Life Orb held, Lanturn can become quite the offensive presence when sporting Agility and its three favorite coverage moves in Hydro Pump, Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam. However, the EVs needed to be invested in Speed, and the lack of Leftovers recovery hurts Lanturn's walling potential so should be avoided. Stockpile can turn Lanturn into a threatening tank after a few boosts; however, it will usually be forced out by a strong STAB Earthquake or Leaf Storm.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/lanturn
We're working on it. If and when somebody takes over the UU analysis from Flareblitz, this problem will be solved.

Thanks.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/abilities/run_away

In the description for Run Away, it states this:

This does not allow escape from trapping abilities or moves such as Mean Look, Spider Web, or Arena Trap.
If I remember correctly, isn't the only other trapping move/ability in the game Shadow Tag? If so, why not just list it rather than say "such as"? That line could be reworded as the following:

This does not allow escape from the trapping abilities Arena Trap and Shadow Tag, or the moves Mean Look and Spider Web.
Alternatively, "such as" could be kept if one of the trapping attacks were removed, so it would state, for example, "such as Mean Look or Arena Trap". The line just seems odd to me the way it currently is, it seems to imply that there are several other unmentioned options, which isn't the case.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/abilities/chlorophyll
http://www.smogon.com/dp/abilities/swift_swim

In Chlorophyll's description, it lists Swift Swim as a rain equivalent, but Swift Swim does not list Chlorophyll as a sun equivalent (although it DOES list it on the RS page).

---

http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/flamethrower
http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/ice_beam
http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/thunderbolt
http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/surf

There are several things that need or probably should be changed.

1.) On Ice Beam's page, the link to Flamethrower is broken. "/moves" needs to be added to the link URL.

2.) On Ice Beam's page and Flamethrower's page, the three related moves have descriptions of their effects ("but with a chance to burn/paralyze/no effect"), but on the other three pages, it simply lists the type of the move. I think it would be best if all four pages were updated to match.

3.) In addition to the above, the mini description for Surf on Ice Beam's page is as follows:
Surf is a Water-type equivalent, but does not have an effect
However, on Surf's page, it says that Surf does double damage to Pokemon that are underwater due to Dive. Wouldn't that be an effect worth listing? Perhaps as the following:
Surf is a Water-type equivalent, but does double damage to Pokemon using Dive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)