(Archive) Small Subjective Changes Thread

In the Raticate Guts analysis:

Since Froslass is BL, I would think that Sucker Punch is no longer worthy of a slash, as she was the only reason you would use Sucker Punch over Crunch.
disregarding the fact that this analysis is old as balls, i changed the froslass mention to more appropriate ones.

The problem for you in trying to "win" this is that you and your girlfriend weren't really having an argument. This is because you guys were talking about two different things, but using language in such a way to make it seem like you were talking about the same thing.

Just a very minor change to the formatting of the introductory passage to belly drum, which didn't have mistakes but rather just some slightly off grammar, like overlong sentences: (the article)

The updated version:
In the card game Hearts, certain cards are worth points; if a player is holding a point card at the end of a round, they receive the appropriate number of points: one for each Heart, and 13 for the Queen of Spades. Unlike many other games, players attempt to receive the lowest score possible, and therefore usually try to avoid holding point cards at the end of a round. However, if a certain player receives all thirteen Hearts and the Queen of Spades, that player gains zero points and all other players accept a 26-point acquisition each, giving the player who obtained all the point cards a substantial advantage. This is called "shooting the moon" and is a very dynamic strategy that has huge rewards, but also enormous risks; if the player attempting to "shoot the moon" is missing even one point card, the scores are calculated normally, and the would-be shooter is burdened with a gigantic point gain if the strategy isn't executed perfectly.

And the original verision:
In the card game Hearts, certain cards are worth points, and if a player is holding a point card at the end of a round, he or she receive the appropriate number of points, one for each Heart, and 13 for the Queen of Spades. Contrary to many other games, players attempt to receive the lowest score possible, and therefore usually try to avoid holding point cards at the end of a round. However, if a certain player receives all thirteen Hearts and the Queen of Spades, that player gains zero points, whereas all other players accept a 26-point acquisition each, giving the player who obtained all the point cards a substantial advantage. This is called "shooting the moon" and is a very dynamic strategy that has huge rewards, but also enormous risk; if the player attempting to "shoot the moon" is missing even one point card, the scores are calculated regularly, and often the would-be shooter is burdened with a gigantic point gain if the strategy isn't executed perfectly.

Torterra uu analysis

In Torterra's uu opinion, they talk about it being a check against tyranitar and gyarados (both being ou pokemon). Now that they have a seperate opinion for both uu and ou, mentions of ou pokemon don't have a place in the uu opinion.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/altaria

I would like to adress why I belive Fire Blast should be removed from Altarias Offensive Dancer or mentioned in AC.

With Fire Blast, you're hitting 2 pokemon harder that I know of that actually matter: Stellix and Tangrowth: Steelixs main set is hit for 40.1%-47.5% with a -SpA nature with Life Orb, which is a gurranted 2HKO with 2 layers of spikes. Tangrowths main set is hit for 64.4%-75.7%, which is a gurranted 2HKO. Now this may seem good, but Fire Blast is pretty much only going to be used for these two pokes which your other teamates can handle easily.

Roost, on the other hand, gives you much more survivebility, which is crucial with Altaria, who can easily be forced out and is Stealth Rock weak. Plus, most peoples reaction to Altaria is to switch out to something that can wall and force him out, especially when they find out he's offensive. So Roost can also work as a scouting measure, which Fire Blast does not offer, and it lets you attempt multiple times at a sweep.

that is my reasoning on why Fire Blast on Altarias Offensive Dragon Dance set should be removed or mentioned as an option to take down Tangrowth and Steelix, but Altaria will have pretty much only one shot at sweeping.

Infernape once more

This is in regards to infernape's choice band set: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/infernape

At one point it says, " No Pokemon in OU will avoid a 2HKO from either Close Combat or Flare Blitz without resisting it," which is clearly false, the standard max defense/max hp would never be 2hkod by a choice banded close combat, the same goes for the standard defensive spread hippowdon. Also in the case of swampert, there is a chance it would avoid a 2hko. I've been told that the "ever present" entry hazards/weather effects would ensure the 2hko. The article mentions no such thing. As it is written, it is false. I'm hoping that you guys will fix it this time, because this is the third time that I've brought it up and no action has been taken. For the record all of those scenarios were with no critical hits. Of course a critical hit would allow a 2hko. Still though for a site that seems to pride itself on accuracy, this is kind of crazy that this mistake has been allowed to stay as long as it has.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is in regards to infernape's choice band set: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/infernape

At one point it says, " No Pokemon in OU will avoid a 2HKO from either Close Combat or Flare Blitz without resisting it," which is clearly false, the standard max defense/max hp would never be 2hkod by a choice banded close combat, the same goes for the standard defensive spread hippowdon. Also in the case of swampert, there is a chance it would avoid a 2hko. I've been told that the "ever present" entry hazards/weather effects would ensure the 2hko. The article mentions no such thing. As it is written, it is false. I'm hoping that you guys will fix it this time, because this is the third time that I've brought it up and no action has been taken. For the record all of those scenarios were with no critical hits. Of course a critical hit would allow a 2hko. Still though for a site that seems to pride itself on accuracy, this is kind of crazy that this mistake has been allowed to stay as long as it has.
fixed.

In the support moveset for Claydol the analysis states
For the last slot, there are a number of choices depending on what you feel threatens Claydol the most. Psychic is a reasonably good secondary STAB, Ice Beam has the best coverage alongside Earth Power, while Shadow Ball is useful to hit Ghosts who try to block Rapid Spin.
While this in itself is fine, shadow ball is not listed as an option for the moveset and should most likely be added.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/claydol

Smog issue 12: http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue12/featured_rmt_uu

Substitute Rhyperior is also a real pain if it gets in against Registeel and sets up a Substitute. From that position, it can do a lot of damage to RT's team.
@_@?

Rhyperior is 100% countered by Milotic. If it's running Substitute then it generally won't have Life Orb, and here's 252 Attack Adamant Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 248/252+ Milotic: 40.5% - 47.6%. Even if it did have Life Orb, Earthquake would still fail to KO while Milotic is faster and will KO with Surf.

Bigger threats to the team are SD Toxicroak with Stone Edge, which can get its SD against Milotic while outspeeding and KO'ing Arcanine at +1 attack. Torterra, which can get its RP against Registeel and similarly KO Arcanine at -1 attack (requires Stealth Rock, however). Hariyama can potentially bash the entire team to pulp if it has Guts active. But not Rhyperior.

Also I think that Mismagius, Houndoom and Moltres are checked by Registeel and Milotic, so those aren't the best Pokemon to name (as a reason why Arcanine is in the team).

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
So I was doing some random damage calculations with my calculator, at school, and I found that Heatran is not always 2hko-ed by Infernape's combination of Fake Out and Close Combat. And with minimal EV investment, can ALWAYS survive the attacks and ALWAYS do SOMETHING!

With either a spread of 64 HP / 188 SpA / 252 Spe, for more overall bulk, or 40 Def / 216 SpA / 252 Spe, for more attacking power, Heatran can be guaranteed to not be completely beaten my LeadApe and always either break its Sash or set up Rocks. =D You could also just run 64 HP / 220 SpA / 224 Spe to have a bit more Special Attack but not be able to speed tie with opposing Heatran's.

I think this spread deserves to be the main mention for the Stealth Rock lead set for Heatran as you really don't lose that much in terms of attacking power at all, given Heatran's massive base SpA, but gain the ability to tie with Infernape, turning a lose on his list, halfway upside down. Which is pretty big... at least, in my opinion..

EDIT:
Forgot the link:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/heatran

EDIT2:
Is this the right place to post this? O_o It's been 2 days and I've had no response at all.

Smog issue 12: http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue12/featured_rmt_uu

This team really isn't threatened by any one Pokemon in particular. Opposing Heracross can be painful for RT to face if they predict appropriately, but he's got all the tools necessary to beat it if he responds appropriately. Substitute Rhyperior is also a real pain if it gets in against Registeel and sets up a Substitute. From that position, it can do a lot of damage to RT's team if Milotic is weakened or KOed. Bigger threats to this team are Swords Dance Toxicroak and Rock Polish Torterra, which both set up on different Pokemon, but can beat the team apart after a bit of residual damage. The biggest issue this team has, however, is entry hazards. Seeing as this team has no Rapid Spinner and has 5 grounded Pokemon, RT has to play absolutely perfectly and double switch whenever appropriate to get Venusaur out against the typical Spikes users of UU. RT runs Hidden Power Grass on Milotic to keep Omastar from setting up on it, but that doesn't totally stop Omastar's control over this team if it so much as gets one layer down. Fortunately for RT, most Qwilfish are suicide leads, so they don't stick around long. This is important because Qwilfish can set up Spikes against Milotic, Arcanine, and even Heracross if it hasn't picked up a Guts boost!
I notice this was changed, but I still don't get the highlighted part ...

Suppose Milotic is at 20% and Stealth Rock is up on .RT's side of the field. That certainly is a very weakened Milotic. And then:

Rhyperior switches into Registeel's Thunder Wave.
.RT switches to Milotic, Rhyperior puts up Substitute. Milotic is at 8%.
Milotic outspeeds Rhyperior and Recovers, Rhyperior attacks with Earthquake (40.5% - 47.6% vs. physically defensive Milotic). No KO. Milotic recovers with Leftovers. Milotic is at ~18%.
Milotic Recovers again, Rhyperior attacks again. No KO. Milotic is at ~28%.
Milotic Recovers again, Rhyperior attacks again. No KO. Milotic is at ~38% (at this point even a critical hit Earthquake may fail to KO Milotic).
Milotic Recovers again, Surfs when it feels like it, Rhyperior is forced to switch out, Milotic Recovers on the switch out, and goes from 20% to ~60% from its skirmish with Rhyperior.

If Milotic is dead then Rhyperior will be a problem, but then every sweeper can sweep when its counters are down. Rhyperior is better off flat out attacking when Milotic is still in the game, not putting up a Substitute ... I think it's better to just remove mention of Rhyperior altogether.

PS: there was a typo on the team that .RT fixed; it's 252 HP not 252 Def on Registeel.

Great Sage told me to put this here. This is a proposed change to the Steel Killer (Substitute) set for Magnezone: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/magnezone

Magnezone @ Life Orb
Timid nature, 40 HP / 252 SpAtk / 216 Speed
-Substitute
-Thunderbolt
-Explosion
-Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass

The main change is running Life Orb over Leftovers. Why? First, Magnezone can achieve numerous significant OHKO's and 2HKO's with Life Orb which it cannot with Leftovers. Secondly, the lack of leftovers will in most circumstances not have an adverse affect on Magnezone's ability to do its job, due to its extremely common weaknesses to Fire, Ground and Fighting which make it unlikely Magnezone will want to stay in unless behind a Substitute. Magnezone's best opportunity for doing damage is usually after trapping a Steel, such as Scizor or Jirachi, most of which it can kill with a Substitute up and therefore has a great opportunity to damage the switch in. Lacking Leftovers does not negatively affect Magnezone's ability to beat any Steels which it can KO with Leftovers, or to do so with a Substitute remaining. Since Magnezone runs Explosion anyway, and can often have limited use after any relevant Steel types have been eliminated, I see no reason to provide it with recovery over a significant power increase (which also benefits its defenses, allowing Magnezone to run 40 HP and Timid over 40Atk and Naive while still OHKOing Blissey with Explosion).

Some important marks Magnezone can achieve with Life Orb which are impossible with Leftovers:
- OHKO offensive Azelf, Infernape after SR.
- OHKO SporePunch Breloom, good chance to OHKO SubSeed Breloom after SR
- 2HKO standard Tank Bronzong and Dusknoir
- 2HKO every Shaymin or Celebi without Leftovers
- OHKO 252 HP Dragonite with HP Ice.
- OHKO Gengar (98.1 - 116.1 % so guaranteed with SR or SS)
- 2HKO all standard Heatran (barring SpDefensive and Torment Tran)
- 2HKO physically defensive Hippowdon (guaranteed with SR + Leftovers)
- 2HKO non bulky Jirachi
- OHKO SD Lucario after SR (TBolt does 96.4 - 113.5% so almost guaranteed)
- 2HKO Machamp factoring in Leftovers

I also changed the Hidden Power types according to my opinion on their utility. Hidden Power Fire only allows notable extra damage against Scizor and Forretress,(as well as Grass types which are hit just as hard by HP Ice) both of which will usually be easily beaten with LO Thunderbolt (Specially Defensive Forretress with Earthquake is an exception). HP Fire leaves you almost completely helpless against numerous switch ins such as Gliscor, Hippowdon, Swampert, and to a lesser extent 252 HP Dragonite; it also invites Heatran to switch in, although the 2HKO provided by Life Orb on most Heatran variants mitigates this partially if Magnezone is behind a Substitute.
HP Grass and Ice are both better options in terms of coverage. HP Ice allows Magnezone to hurt Shaymin, Celebi, Breloom, Dragonite, Gliscor, Hippowdon, and so on, while leaving you unable to hurt Swampert bar Explosion (although Swampert will not usually switch in due to the prevalence of HP Grass). However I still believe HP Ice should be listed as the primary option.

Having tested this Magnezone extensively I can say that in the overwhelming majority of matches I've played Life Orb has been more useful than Leftovers.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This might not be a typo, but why the hell isn't Honchkrow mentioned as Breloom's #1 counter ? With Insomnia, Brave Bird/Drill Peck, and higher speed than Breloom, i believe it's the #1 counter. [And it's only 2HKO'd by Seed Bomb]

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/breloom

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
^ Aye, but if Breloom is behind a Substitute, then Focus Punch is a clean OHKO with Stealth Rock, and Focus Punch + Mach Punch is an easy KO as well.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This might not be a typo, but why the hell isn't Honchkrow mentioned as Breloom's #1 counter ? With Insomnia, Brave Bird/Drill Peck, and higher speed than Breloom, i believe it's the #1 counter. [And it's only 2HKO'd by Seed Bomb]

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/breloom
This should be at the Subjective Changes.

To add on with Oglemi (I've been taken my time >.<) I think you said it yourself. Honchkrow is 2HKOed by Seed Bomb even with resistance, and if Breloom sets up a Substitute first, Honchkrow is prone to faint from Focus Punch. Stealth Rock weakness doesn't help much either. People do like starting off with Spore though (which is dumb since you might Spore something you don't want to Spore...).

It's kinda bad to mention it because overall Honchkrow only really has a "niche" role which is better filled by Tyranitar (yes, I know, Tyranitar doesn't check Breloom, but does Honchkrow benefit your team well enough just by switching into Breloom's Spore?). Honchkrow itself is somewhat poor in this metagame due to being slow, somewhat fragile, and just not that beneficial enough to a standard OU team.

Wailmer

The current EV spread is 116 HP / 196 SpA / 196 Spe. However, Wailmer's 4th move is HP electric, which has a 30 in SpA. I think that Wailmer's Special Attack is more important than its HP (especially supported by the fact that Wailmer is offensive). So, the new EV spread should be:

36 HP / 76 Def / 200 SpA / 196 Spe

in addition, someone should list under the individual values: 30 SpA

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Fixed both of comattew's posts, but I disagree with listing the IVs. First of all, there are 2 Hidden Powers listed. Second, IVs are not listed just for sets with a Hidden Power.

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
The damage calcs for Choice Band Gyarados state, and I quote "Here are some damage calculations to show just how powerful Choice Band Gyarados is". But the damage calcs on Suicune and Vaporeon are less than convincing and should be removed.

Also, I would like to ask that damage calcs for Waterfall and Aqua Tail against Zapdos be added. Since Zapdos is probably one of the top 5 switchins to Gyarados, a battler deserves to know what he's going to be doing against it (it's a clean 2hko on defensive variants and a very good chance to ohko offensive variants after Stealth Rock, which I feel are great measures of Gyarados' power). Damage Calcs of those against Specially Defensive Skarmory are also pretty convincing, as Gyarados can cleanly 2hko it with Stealth Rock.

A mention of entry hazard support is also strangely absent. Stealth Rocks secure OHKOs against a lot of the threats that will be switching into Gyarados (eg Rotom, Breloom and Zapdos).

If these changes, in total, are not considered small, I'd be happy to rewrite Gyarados' Choice Band set. =P

firecape

This is the end...
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/shedinja

The last time I visited Serebii, I saw that Shedinja doesn't learn Swords Dance. Please change that.
Shedinja does learn Swords Dance. Please do not believe everything you see on other sites because, just like this one, they can have mistakes. Rather than taking their word over ours, test in game to see which site is right. You have to have Nincada evolve at level 25 and learn Swords Dance as a Ninjask, then it will split and you will have a Shedinja with Swords Dance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)