Data Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (6th Gen ASB Version)

Sucker Punch reads "The user feigns weakness, but then strikes with intense swiftness if the foe prepares to attack. This move fails if the opponents uses a non-damaging move or outspeeds the Pokemon with its own high-speed attacks."
Are actions like cooling down after a combo or chilling considered "non-damaging moves" or can I Sucker Punch away at cooling off foes?

Sucker Punch reads "The user feigns weakness, but then strikes with intense swiftness if the foe prepares to attack. This move fails if the opponents uses a non-damaging move or outspeeds the Pokemon with its own high-speed attacks."
Are actions like cooling down after a combo or chilling considered "non-damaging moves" or can I Sucker Punch away at cooling off foes?
Judging by the wording, I would assume that anything that is not a move (although I don't know about commands) would not cause Sucker Punch to fail, judging by the in-game description, unless it has a higher priority (or equal priority and used by a pokemon with a higher speed).

However, in-game would suggest that it only works against a slower damaging move, so those actions would be excluded.

According to the handbook, about capture mechanics, "Pokemon that have been knocked out have no Capture Resistance." From that statement, I thought that maybe knocked out pokemon could be caught. That is why I thought it might be possible.

Some things are different in ASB than my common sense would suggest. If I just used common sense, instead of actually looking for the information, then I might make other false assumptions (like thinking that Final Gambit lacks a limit on damage, or thinking that it has a limit on damage to both pokemon, or maybe that Speed Boost would not cost any energy, or that STAB has no effect on energy cost, or things like that). I also thought that fainted pokemon couldn't be caught from the beginning, but that section made me start to doubt that, so I wanted confirmation or (I was hoping) someone to say "Yes, you can catch them."

Besides, my common sense would say that a pokemon that merely fainted could be caught, and the game doesn't give you the option since most times you won't want to catch a fainted pokemon and it would be an inconvenience then.

How does surf (and other moves that target all grounded pokemon, such as earthquake) work?

Do these moves do damage to ALL active pokemon (In doubles/triples) or ONLY enemy pokemon?

Is a sub such as the following legal:

IF Earth Power AND you are not Taunted AND you don't have a Substitute THEN replace that action with Substitute (15) and push back
I have seen in other battles, substitutes with three clauses such as this called illegal, though I am not entirely sure myself the ruling.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Those are "chance" clauses. Legal. There is a difference between "AND you are not Taunted" & "AND Taunt was not used the previous action."

How does Yawn manifest itself? It is unaffected by soundproof, so it does not manifest through noise. A pokemon being ordered to look away has no effect according to the NDA, so it does not manifest through sight. It is not flagged a contact move, so it does not manifest through touch or taste. That leaves only one sense left, smell. But a pokemon can't use Gust/Hurricane/etc. to reflect a Yawn, nor can a pokemon use another move with smell (such as Smog) to render it ineffective.

I know this post was deleted because I answered my own question, but it should not have been because I then proved that answer wrong.

It does manifests through sight, it's just that being ordered to look away from it is not a valid way to make the move fail. Other moves that need the opponent to watch to function have the same disclaimer (Taunt)

It does manifests through sight, it's just that being ordered to look away from it is not a valid way to make the move fail. Other moves that need the opponent to watch to function have the same disclaimer (Taunt)
If it manifests through sight, though, how come a pokemon that can not see it, but would otherwise witness it, would be affected?

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Did you read his post. There was a time in ASB where people would use flavour actions such as "Do Nothing" or "Look Away."

Gerard said:
It does manifests through sight, it's just that being ordered to look away from it is not a valid way to make the move fail.
It manifests through sight. If in some way the sight of the Pokemon is legitimately obstructed from a flavour perspective than the move will fail but you cannot make the move fail by ordering your mon to look away.

Last edited:
Did you read his post. There was a time in ASB where people would use flavour actions such as "Do Nothing" or "Look Away."

It manifests through sight. If in some way the sight of the Pokemon is legitimately obstructed from a flavour perspective than the move will fail but you cannot make the move fail by ordering your mon to look away.
So blocking sight, through a means like, for example, using Flash to obstruct vision, can block a Yawn, but simply looking away won't do anything.

Also, is there some flavor action you can take when you don't want your pokemon to lose energy and don't want to consume a chill since simply saying "Do Nothing" has been banned?

Yeah, as long as the ref lets it pass it's ok (smog, being asleep, etc...).
Splash is the closest thing to Do Nothing as it costs 1 EN, otherwise use your less powerful STAB

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No to the latter.

To the former you could potentially do so depending on the ref's penchant for flavour, you may or may not lose the original effect of the move.

Does a status move, such as roar (and others), destroy all active clones if it hits, or does it slip through as it doesn't actually do any damage to the HP of the pokemon with double team clones?

Also, when switched out, Double Team does disappear, yes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)