Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (CAP Edition) - Mark II (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where can I download the sprites for CAP? I've looked in the links for Connecting to Doug's server and in the Connection Guide, and also in the EnCAPlopedia. It tells me that there was an error on all links.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
CAP flavor takes place after the Sprite Poll alongside of server implementation, if I am not mistaken. It might vary per TL, but a general rule of thumb is that flavor takes place after all things competitive are sorted out. Check out more on the CAP process by clicking here or simply shift through some old projects!

Pre-evo(s) for CAP 2, if any end up existing, will be coordinated after the CAP process for CAP 2 due to a recent PR. Other flavor aspects are handled by the community (dex entries, art, sprites), whereas some others (height, weight) are decided by the TL for the Final Product thread.

Just a note, but if CAP II learns Sketch only once, then technically shouldn't it have access to Sketch an unlimited amount of times? Move tutors should allow CAP II to relearn Sketch an unlimited amount of times and give CAP II access to the versatile move pool that Smeargle has.

I'm only bringing this up because it contradicts the purpose that user Korski had with the intention of CAP II. In fact, this fact might actually make CAP II broken due to its Stat distribution.

Just something I thought of recently, and didn't know anywhere else to post this without breaking thread rules :/

Nope. That only works if Sketch is a level-up move. If it is, however, an event move or an egg move, then it cannot be relearned. This was all thought through prior to the Sketch Artist concept being slated for CAP 2.

Asylum_Rhapsody

Could somebody please clear up the IRV rules for me? I understand that they are detailed here, but I just don't think that they're very clear.

Let's say that a poll has 5 possible entries: A, B, C, D, and E. If I vote like this...
A
B
C
D
E

... then there's no confusion. I clearly prefer A the most and E the least. However, not everybody votes like that. A lot of people only vote for a smaller number of the entries. If I vote like this...
A
B
C

... then does that mean that C is my third favorite option or that C is my least favorite option? The blocked example on the process rules page would suggest that C would be my least favorite, but then again it's not clear how many options are available in that example, and it could be that there are only three and that the example was just done that was for intended simplicity. What about when somebody votes for only two things?
A
B

Is B the second favorite or the least favorite? This may sound like a stupid question to those of you that actually know how these votes are tallied and stuff, but it's just not clear to me, and with the same blocked example shown in all of the IRV threads, it makes me think that many people might accidentally vote for something as their third favorite or second favorite when they really intend to vote for it as their least favorite.

Unless I'm confused by how IRV works, a vote of

A
B
C

means #1 = A, #2 = B, #3 = C. If there are more than three choices then I don't even consider them worthy of a vote. The way IRV is counted is all the first place votes are tallied. If there is a 50% majority winner then that's it. If no one has a 50% majority then the last place vote-getters are eliminated. Anyone who voted for the eliminated candidates are now assumed to have voted for whoever they chose as their second favorite. And we keep eliminating the lowest vote-getter per round until someone gets a 50% majority.

The CAP site has a rudimentary description not expected to overtake the one provided on Wikipedia. If you're still confused after Wiki's entry, then kalamadude has done a rather good job explaining it.

Asylum_Rhapsody

Ah, I'd never seen IRV anywhere else and just assumed it was something that y'all made up. Yes, the Wikipedia page cleared everything up, but just to prevent future confusion I really would recommend that the example given on this site change the third one from "Least Preferred" to "Third Preferred". "Least Preferred" really does make it sound like C is my least preferred rather than my third preferred.

Sorry to be a bother if this has been pointed out before or is being worked on but where is Tomohawk's article in the pokemon section?

It doesn't have a section in the on-site dex because the site needs to be reprogrammed to handle the BW Pokemon. If you're interested in its details or analysis, they're both linked to at the bottom of this topic.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I didn't find it in a search...

This is probably just me being annoying, but Krilowatt has Overheat in a couple of its movesets but it is nowhere on its Moves list. Is it supposed to have Overheat?

It's movesets were never updated after the movepool reversions. We established stringent guidelines for movepools only after Krilowatt was made, which were then retroactively applied to Krilowatt. This removed many of Krilowatt's more outlandish moves, such as Overheat or Draco Meteor. You can read more about it here, and here in particular for Krilowatt.

Asylum_Rhapsody

Yeah, somebody just posted in the latest poll with the same confusion that I just brought up. Making the example for IRV voting more clear really is something that needs to be addressed asap.

People will be confused no matter what is done. I'll update the example for future polls, but really, if only one or two people are expressing confusion I consider that very good in the grand scheme of CAP voting.

EDIT:
You can find my edit of the on-site page for CAP polling here. You'll also notice that I finally added an entry on that page for multiple bold voting, which is used for the first art concept poll and the first sprite poll.

Asylum_Rhapsody

People will be confused no matter what is done.
Sure, but there's no reason not to want to minimize that, especially not when it would be trivially easy to do so. Just changing "Least Preferred" to "Third Preferred" would fix the majority of the confusion. At worst, it would confuse people into thinking they can only vote for three options, but that's taken care of by the fact that it's always explicitly stated that voters can vote for however many options they wish. At least at that point it stops being about the rules being unclear and starts being about voters not reading the rules, and at least that way people still aren't voting for things they intend to vote against.

Whatever you decide to do, I do think it was a good call to add in the Wikipedia link so that at least it's more clear that IRV voting isn't something that y'all made up yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)