Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whimsicott can force a lot of switches with Substitute / Encore, making it pretty annoying. However, there is really only one viable Whimsicott set, making it very predictable and easy to play around. I've used it on offensive teams before as Encore gives free turns of set up to your sweepers, and Tailwind is amazing for slower sweepers such as Haxorus.

Sableye is probably the better of the two imo, between priority Taunt, Will-O-Wisp and Recover you can outstall a lot of things, as well as being able to cripple the physical Pokemon that like to target Sableye's weaker physical defense. It's a good mon to have on a Stall team to beat opposing Taunt users such as Jellicent and Mew, while also being a good spinblocker.
Thanks for the info. In your opinion, would Whimsicott with Trick Room be viable?

The interesting thing about TR Whimsicott is that TR gets a priority boost to -6, the same category as phazing moves. With Whimscott's hgh base speed, it will almost always set up TR w/ out having a chance of being phazed. It can also utilize a "slow" U-turn to bring a sweeper in safely.

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Not to mention, Trick Room does NOT affect how priority works: Whimsicott will still be going first unless another Pokemon uses a move with positive priority, so Whimsicott can still do what it normally does under Trick Room.

Okay, two questions/ comfirmations

From what I understand, Imposter copies the EVs, species, moveset, stats changes and Ability of the opposing Pokemon, but it doesn't copy the HP stat, IVs, status conditions (I only say this because Ditton copies stat boosts) nor items, so am I correct? And what about natures? Are they copied too, or does it stay the same? What would be the most useful HIdden Power type to run on Ditto (in OU)?

What is an IRC? And where can I join?

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, two questions/ comfirmations

From what I understand, Imposter copies the EVs, species, moveset, stats changes and Ability of the opposing Pokemon, but it doesn't copy the HP stat, IVs, status conditions (I only say this because Ditton copies stat boosts) nor items, so am I correct? And what about natures? Are they copied too, or does it stay the same? What would be the most useful HIdden Power type to run on Ditto (in OU)?

What is an IRC? And where can I join?
The actual stats stats of the copied Pokemon are copied along with any modifiers. For instance, if Ditto transforms into an Adamant 252 Scizor at +2 (784 Attack), Ditto copies the raw stat (394) and the modifier (+2). The EVs are not copied and don't need to be since the raw stats are what is copied (unless someone wants to correct me on that?) Ditto uses its own IVs / EVs to determine its HP Stat and Hidden Power type/BP. For instance, if a Ditto with a Speed IV of 2 and 31s ever where else switches into a Politoed with Hidden Power Grass, Ditto will use Hidden Power Ice instead of Grass because of its IVs.

Hidden Power Ice, as I used in the example above, is possibly the most commonly used Hidden Power type in competitive Pokemon.

Also, to learn more about IRC, go here: http://smogon.com/irc/

IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat and is the most common way that Smogoners get together and discuss things. Umbreon Dan once told me that IRC is Smogon and I've found that to be absolutely true. You get to talk to people in real time, just like a chatroom. The chats are divided into channels such as #pokemon, where any metagame discussion takes place, #grammar, where grammar/prose checkers unite, #c&c, where contributors and aspiring contributors in Contributions and Corrections talk to eachother. Smogon's channels reside on the server irc.synirc.net. I'm glad to see you are curious to get on IRC and I hope you will follow that link and join us.

Thanks for the answer! But my main question was "Does Ditto copy the natures?" was left unanswered.

Also, what does CCaT mean?

EDIT: Ugh, I have so many questions. I know it is impossible to check/counter every single threat, but how many of the top Pokemon should you try to counter? (Like the top 30? Top 50? And the tiers I'm talking about are OU and UU, if that matters)

Thanks for the answer! But my main question was "Does Ditto copy the natures?" was left unanswered.

He did answer it. It copies the raw stats, so while it doesn't copy the nature itself, it does copy the effect that the nature has on the target.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
community create a team. what that means should be self explanatory

EDIT: Ugh, I have so many questions. I know it is impossible to check/counter every single threat, but how many of the top Pokemon should you try to counter? (Like the top 30? Top 50? And the tiers I'm talking about are OU and UU, if that matters)
as many as possible =P that's the challenge of teambuilding right? it's harder and harder to outright counter stuff these days, but having a plan, at least, for as many things as possible is part of having a good team

It's worth noting that you should be considering what Pokemon actually use Hidden Power and what might be switching into them, since those are the only times Ditto will use Hidden Power. So you'll have things like Alakazam, Celebi, Espeon, possibly Gengar (but rarely), Heatran, Jolteon, Lati@s, Magnezone, and Venusaur...those are most of the big ones. Few of those are the sort of threats you should be using Ditto against; it's a poor answer to Celebi, Jolteon, and Heatran without Earth Power, though it can be useful against the relatively rare Nasty Plot Celebi. That said, I think Hidden Power Fire would probably be the best choice. It's much more threatening for hitting Venusaur, and if Lati@s is carrying Hidden Power, it's probably not on a rain team, so HP Fire would be a good choice to hit Scizor and Ferrothorn switch-ins. Alakazam also likes being able to hit Scizor and Ferrothorn. You'll need other answers to Dragonite (and other dragons) anyway, since you really don't want to rely on Ditto copying an opponent's Hidden Power to check dragons with HP Ice.

So if it were up to me, I'd go with HP Fire. HP Ice is better in general, but given Ditto's specific function, I think it would get more utility out of HP Fire, since it would likely be able to KO one of the checks your opponent has to one of their own special sweepers.

EDIT: I forgot about Thundurus-T; if it's a big problem for your team, you'll probably want to go with HP Ice for the ability to actually threaten Thundurus-T itself.

I looked around and a few websites said that logging into the global link gives you 50 dream points. Does this mean I can keep logging in and out to gain dream points? Or is there a limit to how many times you can log in?

I looked around and a few websites said that logging into the global link gives you 50 dream points. Does this mean I can keep logging in and out to gain dream points? Or is there a limit to how many times you can log in?
no it's a one time thing per a day. Any subsequent logins won't do you any good.

Are there any good lures for Amoongus, Celebi, and (to a lesser extent) Ferrothorn? I'm more concerned about the latter two.

Like how Earth Power Celebi lures and kills Hetran, etc. I want to avoid using expert belt if it's possible.

Are there any good lures for Amoongus, Celebi, and (to a lesser extent) Ferrothorn? I'm more concerned about the latter two.

Like how Earth Power Celebi lures and kills Hetran, etc. I want to avoid using expert belt if it's possible.
For Celebi Rotom-W with Signal Beam makes an excellent lure, since most Celebi will gladly switch on Rotom-W all day. For Ferrothorn, I like to use Dragonite with Fire Blast (Mixnite set onsite), and it can also KO Celebi though it is less likely to lure that in. Amoongus is lured in by Pokemon with Psyshock, so Latias is an interesting possibility. Combined... I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but I am rather tired now.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does imposer copy download boosts?

Edit: does it copy the 1+ from the previous download then download again?
All stat boosts are copied (see above). And yes, since its ability is now Download, it uses it and gets a further boost. What a little bitch, huh?

On that note, does anybody know if Flash Fire and Unburden boosts taken into account?

The site recommends 7hp ivs on sceptile for the maximum benifit of leech seed. How can having less HP give you more leechseed health? Couldn't you run 31hp ivs for more hp and the same lifedrain from leechseed?

With that 7 IVs, you get a substitute and lefties number. That means you can use 5 substitute instead of 4 if at full life and with no leech seed, which can help against non-perfectly accurate moves.
Plus, when you seed an enemy, you want to stall it and having less HP means you recover more % of life. This leads to more chances to setup another sub.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
On that note, does anybody know if Flash Fire and Unburden boosts taken into account?
not 100% sure, but since Flash Fire isn't a stat boost i would suppose no, but i guess you would get the Unburden boost since IIRC you also get the boost from guts because imposter simply copys the opposing Pokemons stats.

You wouldn't get any ability related boosts unless you meet the prerequisites forthe ability. Say you switch into Flare Boost Drifblim's Will-o-wisp. You transform, get burned, and get the SpA boost. If the Drifblim was an Unburden variant, nothing else would happen, you would just be burned.

The site recommends 7hp ivs on sceptile for the maximum benifit of leech seed. How can having less HP give you more leechseed health? Couldn't you run 31hp ivs for more hp and the same lifedrain from leechseed?
Having a lower HP stat decreases the HP cost of using Substitute, while the HP recovery from Leech Seed is unaffected. So each turn of recovery is more of a percentage of the HP you need to generate a Substitute.

Heracross
Celebi w/ Psychic/HP-Fire/U-Turn.
Starmie w/ Psychic/Signal Beam/HPFire
Melotta would be cool for this, too. Though I don't know how hard an Aria Form U-Turn would hit Celebi.

There's also Magnezone, that could hit Amoongus with a strong Flash Cannon or HP Fire, Flygon w/ U-Turn

Though my two favorite are Zapdos (Heatwave/U-Turn, or hell even Flying STAB) and Zoroark hiding behind nearly any bulky Water, Grass, or Psychic type

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Instead of luring them, you probably ought to just trap them with Choice Specs Gothitelle. It learns Psyshock and Signal Beam, and can use HP fire for Ferrothorn.

What's better on a weather-less team? Specs Jolteon or Scarf Thunderus-T
Well they're very similar so it's a bit of a hard choice. Jolteon has more power with specs but is significantly slower, which can be important for a number of dragon dancers. Spec Jolteon can't even outspeed Dragonite at +1 if it opts to run Jolly.

However Jolteon does have a big advantage in that it is not weak to Stealth Rock, an important feature for a choiced Pokemon. It also isn't weak to Ice Shard, which given how common Mamoswine is these days is a big deal. Of course you won't be KOing a full health Mamoswine anyway, but it does help against other Ice Shard users like Cloyster and Weaville. On the other hand, Tornadus-T is immune to spikes, which, while not as important as the SR weakness, does make up for it a bit. It also has better coverage, which is fairly important as long as you're good with predictions.

Ultimately I think it comes down more to weather you want power or revenge killing potential. If you have other means with which to deal with Dragon Dancers then Jolteon is likely to be better, but Thundurus-T does check more things. If you don't really know which to use, I suggest you just try them both. You're not likely to go wrong either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)