Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 23 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing damage calcs on the Smogon Damage Calculator and was confused on how the percentages worked. For example, if the max damage of an attack is 49.1-49.9%, would that attack in turn deal 49.1-49.9% or would it round up to 50%? Are there any differences in how Shoddy works with damage compared to the actual game?

Thanks

the damage round down, so it would do 49%
The percents don't round down, the damage does. If the percentage multiplied by the opponents maximum HP is a decimal, the decimal will round down. There are other calculators out there that give you exact numbers for damage (like, 33-39 damage, for example), but there are very few situations where that distinction will actually matter.

Edit To better explain myself: The percentages mentioned in the calculator are created by taking the possible damage and then dividing by the HP of the Pokemon. The percentages are very close and rounded to the nearest tenth of a percentage point. If you were going to work backwards to the damage, though, you would have to round to the nearest integer, and you could be off by +-1.

Yes, although, if you have a friend that also has Platinum, I think you could trasfer the event card to them, restart your game, and have them transfer it back.
Only Japanese Platinum can send keys to other Platinums. So unless you have Japanese copies then you're out of luck.

Just because RNG Reporter can't find it doesn't mean it isn't possible. You can get a 31/14/31/31/31/31 Bold Giratina from Monster seed AED67D02, Initial seed 810B042F, on frame 14 for a method 1 Giratina (like the event Giratina in HGSS) or frame 3, 5, 7 or 9 for a method J Giratina (like the Giratina in Turnback Cave; that seed can't hit Giratina in the Distortion World because the frame ends up negative after allowing for the monster frame). Probably the reason RNG Reporter didn't find it is because it requires an unusually high delay of 1061. (I used this tool to find the spread; in general, it's a lot faster than RNG Reporter for specific requests like "quint-flawless Bold Giratina", although a lot slower for vague ones like ("modest Synchronizer".)
Hmm, are there other similar programs? It's kind of confusing but yeah, it looks quite awesome.

How are Base Stats calced?? A pokemon with 100 base speed hasn't 100 speed...
A Pokémon's stat is determined by their base stat, EVs, IVs, and nature. A base stat is just a number given to a Pokémon that gives a general idea of their stat distribution

How are Base Stats calced?? A pokemon with 100 base speed hasn't 100 speed...
The formula is stat = ((2 x BaseStat + IV + EV/4) + 5) x Nature for any stat other than HP and HP = (2 x BaseStat + IV + EV/4) + 10 + Level. BaseStat is the Base Stat of the Pokemon, IV is Idividual Value of the Pokemon for that stat, EV is the number of Effort Points you gave it, Nature is 1.1 if it boosts the stat, .9 if it lowers the stat, and 1 if it does nothing, and Level is the Lv. of the Pokemon.

So in the end, a Lv. 100 Pokemon's stats will be a little higher than 2x their Base Stats.

Where can i find magic numbers for life orb recoil and leftover recovery?
I don't know where to find exact numers but Life Orb recoil can be minimized by giving the Pokemon an HP that ends in 9 and I think people usually go with a Leftovers number that is one higher than a number that's devisible by 16 (17, 33, 49, 65, etc.).

Breeding Query: I'm breeding for a Slowbro. The parents are a 31Def IV Nidorino @ Power Belt and a 31HP IV Slowpoke @ Power Weight. All the guides I've read say this should result in Slowpoke with perfect defensive IVs, but this is not the case. I've only tested 2-3, but the babies seem to end up with one or the other IV, but not from both parents. Is there a % chance for power items to work, like the everstone? Am I doing something else wrong? Both parents were captured on my game, if that would make a difference.

Breeding Query: I'm breeding for a Slowbro. The parents are a 31Def IV Nidorino @ Power Belt and a 31HP IV Slowpoke @ Power Weight. All the guides I've read say this should result in Slowpoke with perfect defensive IVs, but this is not the case. I've only tested 2-3, but the babies seem to end up with one or the other IV, but not from both parents. Is there a % chance for power items to work, like the everstone? Am I doing something else wrong? Both parents were captured on my game, if that would make a difference.
I haven't tried it myself, but I think that there's a 100% chance that the IV will be passed on only if one Power Item is used. If two are used, each has a 50% chance of being the one that's chosen. I think this is because the game would crash if you did something like breed a Smeargle with a Power Weight and an HP IV of 31 with an Eevee with another Power Weight and an HP IV of 30.

In a doubles match if both my Pokemon are knocked out and I send out both Kyogre and Abomasnow, what factors are there that determine what weather effect is set up? Does the order in which you send them out matter or does the game go by speed like in the first turn when all the Pokemon are sent out? And if it does go by speed would trickroom reverse the order?

Just need to know how to do speed calcs for speed boosts. Trying to figure out a suitable Gyarados counter. Best thing I have right now is a Skarmory. Yeah.

In a doubles match if both my Pokemon are knocked out and I send out both Kyogre and Abomasnow, what factors are there that determine what weather effect is set up? Does the order in which you send them out matter or does the game go by speed like in the first turn when all the Pokemon are sent out? And if it does go by speed would trickroom reverse the order?
It's by speed. The slowest pokemon's weather effect is the weather. I do not know if it is reversed by TR

What is Pokesav? I've heard of it on Shoddy.
It's a program that generates customizable AR codes. Very effective for someone who has little time for preparing competitive teams, but looked down on because of it's ability to sneak hacked pokemon past unsuspecting people.

To add: You can use Pokesaved Pokemon in WiFi battles if and only if you tell your opponent you're doing so. These are commonly referred to as "legal hacks" or "legit hacks". You are expected to make sure you only hack stuff that is possible for real - there are some subtleties with move combinations and legendary IV/Nature spreads. You cannot offer them for trade on Smogon.

I thought it was just random. I could be wrong though, there are alot of smart people out there haha...
Nothing's truly random in pokemon. Seemingly random occurrences in the game are determined by the progression of a sequence of numbers.

So I imagine it's possible to RNG for Feebas tiles. I'd rather just go for the Quiet Cave route, but I'm not even half way there. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)