Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

I would also like to clarify that Max def Xatu isn't really an anti-lead, you should almost never lead with it (unless scarf/U-Turn Mindgames) as most rockers Crustle/Rhydon/Golurk/Rampardos/Seismatoad (barring Giga drain), beat it one on one. The idea is to bait them for stealth rocks and switch in to reverse them, which requires a good deal of prediction rather than a simple taunt, as a Crustle can easily anticipate an obvious switch to Xatu and Knock off/Rock blast it to death, faster than it can fight back and roost off damage.
I typically use Xatu for more of a midgame mon for switching in on harmless hazard setters such as Ferroseed (gyro ball does like 27%) and Max def Sandslash (Knock off does around 40%).
I'm not saying Xatu is overrated or is terrible at blocking hazards, I'm simply saying I don't believe it to be a good "Anti lead" when there are mons that can taunt and take hits along with it. Plus it is a lot more difficult predicting when they will use stealth rock over Stone edge, then simply clicking taunt/lovely kiss.
Don't get me wrong though, Xatu is fun with the mind games and I use it on 80% of my teams ;)
Deej Dy wrote what I think about Xatu, I was been very brief before, sorry. Despite you have to be very good to predict, your opponent will be not never sure your hazard will throw back.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Looking at a new Gourgeist set as it gets 2 great moves in ORAS. But not sure how burn + foul play works. Does Foul Play damage also decreases when the opponent is burned or does it stay the same?

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
It stays the same. From gen 3 onwards burn halves damage done by physical attacks, but doesn't decrease your actual stats. Foul Play uses enemy stats, so the damage stays the same.

bogoljubow

formerly Betapf
Is there a niche for Grumpig at the moment? I recently used it in a Balanced Team as a Special Tank / Support and liked it quite much, although I had to change to Xatu since I needed a ground immunity.

What do you think about the following set (which I consider to be the best one)? I used it mainly as a fire switch-in, since it can also switch into a lot of fighting / psychic moves which Hariyama cannot always do.

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk /252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Thunderwave
- Magic Coat / Taunt
- Heal Bell / Whirlwind

As I said, Grumpig can switch-in against special attackers several times, has recovery, can support the team with Thunderwave and Heal Bell as well as sort of "stallbreak" with Magic Coat or Taunt. Sure, Grumpig has a nasty Dark-Weakness, but I think it could fit on more balanced very well.
What are your thoughts?

Edit: Of course it's 252 Sdef EVs, not 4.

Last edited:
Page 14 someone asked about Grumpig. You might find what people had to say about it useful

Also, you mind want to fix your EVs before we comment about your set :]

EDIT: The set looks fine. It works very well as a check to fire spam as well as having nice utility. I used to use it a lot in early NU. It's solid for what it does!

Last edited:
Is there a niche for Grumpig at the moment? I recently used it in a Balanced Team as a Special Tank / Support and liked it quite much, although I had to change to Xatu since I needed a ground immunity.

What do you think about the following set (which I consider to be the best one)? I used it mainly as a fire switch-in, since it can also switch into a lot of fighting / psychic moves which Hariyama cannot always do.

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk /252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Thunderwave
- Magic Coat / Taunt
- Heal Bell / Whirlwind

As I said, Grumpig can switch-in against special attackers several times, has recovery, can support the team with Thunderwave and Heal Bell as well as sort of "stallbreak" with Magic Coat or Taunt. Sure, Grumpig has a nasty Dark-Weakness, but I think it could fit on more balanced very well.
What are your thoughts?

Edit: Of course it's 252 Sdef EVs, not 4.
I usethat exact set with taunt and whirlwind and it does wonders,very solid set indeed.

Btw wut you guys think of a taunt+3attackspyroar totaunt checks on the switch in and cripple em (like audino and grumpig etc) ?

Will'o over taunt is normally the better option. Will'o nails almost any switch in, while taunt can only be useful for things like Audino. So will'o just gives you more bang for your buck.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I usethat exact set with taunt and whirlwind and it does wonders,very solid set indeed.

Btw wut you guys think of a taunt+3attackspyroar totaunt checks on the switch in and cripple em (like audino and grumpig etc) ?
Taunt seems like a cool option on Pyroar for Audino and stuff (dont think grumpig is relevant enough), but I generally prefer Will-O-Wisp to hit stuff like AV Hariyama and Rhydon.

Ik wow is standard but wow isnt always great, also taunting hazard setters on the switch keeps the fiels out of hazards, wss just an idea for an original set but thought bout asking here first cuz to be honest ive used pyroar once or twice

The only hazard setter that doesn't force Pyroar out is Ferroseed. And your better off blasting it with Fire Blast.

I mean, taunt is a cool option and if you really want to try it go ahead :]

can i bring non-mega mawile to a NU team?
i want make it as a defensive wall, good typing, good ability,
toxic, super fang,knock off, stealth rock, pain split, or rest-talk ... lots of utility which may help him to be a good defensive wall too.
what do you think guys?

toxic, super fang,knock off, stealth rock, pain split, or rest-talk ... lots of utility which may help him to be a good defensive wall too.
what do you think guys?
No. Non Mega Mawile is OU.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
what do you think guys?
Eventually Mawile will probably make its home in NU, however, you are gonna have to wait a while before it falls through the cracks and ends up in NU, as right now the tiering system takes a couple of months for Pokemon to fall down.

Reactions: kay

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Eventually Mawile will probably make its home in NU, however, you are gonna have to wait a while before it falls through the cracks and ends up in NU, as right now the tiering system takes a couple of months for Pokemon to fall down.
specifically, 9 entire months. Quite a lot more than a few :[

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
It's gonna be huge.. HUGE :D
in all seriousness, they already get Dazzling gleam and no one uses them. A small boost in power really won't make a difference.

also, im not even sure it gets moonblast, cause it's not listed in the new stuff list.

Oddish gets it as a a level up move apparently.

I sorta figured that it wouldn't get used much. The move, not the mon. But still, it seemed pretty cool to get it, though it doesn't seem to do much for the teir she's in now.

Oddish gets it as a a level up move apparently.

I sorta figured that it wouldn't get used much. The move, not the mon. But still, it seemed pretty cool to get it, though it doesn't seem to do much for the teir she's in now.
Bellossom isn't used really at all, so the mon (partially) isn't used much, due to its numerous flaws?

Also, when Wobbuffet drops to NU when Kokoloko retests Shadow Tag, will Shadow Tag Wobbuffet be allowed in NU or just Wynaut?

UU isn't doing a standard suspect test for shadow tag and it won't ever be allowed on the ladder - instead they're holding testing sessions open to the general public in #uucouncil. I guess if for some reason we unban shadow tag (hahahaha) then lower tiers can be concerned with wobb.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Bellossom isn't used really at all, so the mon (partially) isn't used much, due to its numerous flaws?

Also, when Wobbuffet drops to NU when Kokoloko retests Shadow Tag, will Shadow Tag Wobbuffet be allowed in NU or just Wynaut?
we'll keep wobb around until it rises in usage, we ban it, or until we ban shadow tag in which case it'll drop to pu. Or all three of those might not happen and shadow tag wobb is somehow a healthy presence in the tier.

Bellosum could die in a fire for all I care.

As a guy who wants to get into NU battling, I'd like to know, Vileplume is used often, right? I mean, he's viable in this tier. What about up to UU? I figure this is the best spot to ask than that forum since he should be used here more.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Bellosum could die in a fire for all I care.

As a guy who wants to get into NU battling, I'd like to know, Vileplume is used often, right? I mean, he's viable in this tier. What about up to UU? I figure this is the best spot to ask than that forum since he should be used here more.
Vileplume is fairly common in NU, but certainly not in other tiers as it is outclassed by other Pokemon who share similar typing such as amoonguss.

If for some reason I wanted to use it in UU, I'd have to take advatage of what other Grass/Poison mons lack, like Aromatherapy, correct?

Also, now that Sceptile has a viable mega in OU, is it now OU? Am I unable to use the base for in NU like Mawile?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)