Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer - Pokemon Showdown! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been stated that gen 1 battles are possible. Does this include the Special stat? Also, I've noticed that gen 4 custom is listed when challenging someone. Does this use gen 4 mechanics?

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
It's been stated that gen 1 battles are possible. Does this include the Special stat? Also, I've noticed that gen 4 custom is listed when challenging someone. Does this use gen 4 mechanics?
Yes and yes.

Note that these are in development, so they might not be perfect, but all the important mechanics are implemented.

The easier way to turn the lobbychat off is to type /lobbychat off :P
Thanks for the numerous answers! I had forgotten to check on the responses to my question.

/lobbychat off would certainly have been a handy thing to have known, haha. I look forward to the Options option, Zarel. I wish I could jump in directly without the lobbychat buzzing away.

Is there anything that I don't know about as well that could block basically everything except things prompted by myself? The messages about mods banning/blocking/muting, etc. users seem to still get through.

Thanks for the help again.

Just the other day I fought some guy who had a L1 Politoed with Endeavor. Obviously this is illegal, but is there any avenue where I can report this?

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Just the other day I fought some guy who had a L1 Politoed with Endeavor. Obviously this is illegal, but is there any avenue where I can report this?
It is not illegal. It's a tactic called FEAR which is uncommon because it's pretty bad. You can avoid this tactic why using priority moves, weather that has residual damage, or a Ghost-type. In the best case, it's a 1-1 since you are most likely fainting the guy in the next switch as any OU player will have the necessary tools to deal with FEAR.

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It is not illegal. It's a tactic called FEAR which is uncommon because it's pretty bad. You can avoid this tactic why using priority moves, weather that has residual damage, or a Ghost-type. In the best case, it's a 1-1 since you are most likely fainting the guy in the next switch as any OU player will have the necessary tools to deal with FEAR.
erm joim, the issue is that politoed can be a minimum of level 25

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
erm joim, the issue is that politoed can be a minimum of level 25
lol right, dumb of me, I was thinking about FEAR tactic. We need to add a minimum level ban and that requires adding a minimum level to all Pokémon, so it'll take a while :<

oh, and said politoed also /obviously/ had drizzle. and endeavor isn't an egg move for poliwag in gen 3 anyway -.-

god i hate fuckers such as these

i forgot to save a log sadly, but it's pretty obvious: the politoed took like 92% damage and activated focus sash wth

Joim

Pixels matter
oh, and said politoed also /obviously/ had drizzle. and endeavor isn't an egg move for poliwag in gen 3 anyway -.-

i forgot to save a log sadly, but it's pretty obvious: the politoed took like 92% damage and activated focus sash wth
Was it a custom game? Main server? Hackmons? That rule is enforced!

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
PS has some basic level checking built in. But yeah, what tier were you playing? Custom game has no legality checking at all, and hackmons allows hacked pokemon (hence the name). This is the reason why we ask for replays, after all, because they'll record this sort of information.

Snowflakes

Dango Dango Daikazoku
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

a level 25 toed could easily take 92% from like almost anything lvl 100, albeit the whole egg move thing is known.

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
So I've been looking around for this info, searching the forum and whatnot. I feel like it probably is around here somewhere, but perhaps I'm not searching with the right key words. I've been wanting to try my hand at making a mod, but I'm not completely sure how to go about that. I found this site: https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown. I downloaded the zip and looking at the contents, and I'd say it looks fairly easy to edit. My question then is this... Is downloading that the actual correct starting point? If so, does it matter what I edit the code with? What do I even do with the edited code once I feel the need to test the results? What do I do with the whole package when I'm happy with the results?

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
So I've been looking around for this info, searching the forum and whatnot. I feel like it probably is around here somewhere, but perhaps I'm not searching with the right key words. I've been wanting to try my hand at making a mod, but I'm not completely sure how to go about that. I found this site: https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown. I downloaded the zip and looking at the contents, and I'd say it looks fairly easy to edit. My question then is this... Is downloading that the actual correct starting point? If so, does it matter what I edit the code with? What do I even do with the edited code once I feel the need to test the results? What do I do with the whole package when I'm happy with the results?
Yes that is the right place to start. You can set up your own local server by following the instructions in the readme and then use the changes you have made to the code you downloaded. Generally for mods you just want to add filesto the "mods" folder that overwrite the normally used files (see genNEXT as an example, it should be in the mods folder you downloaded).

Also make sure you set up your new mod in the formats.js file otherwise you wont be able to play your mod (this is located in the "data" folder).

Yes that is the right place to start. You can set up your own local server by following the instructions in the readme and then use the changes you have made to the code you downloaded. Generally for mods you just want to add filesto the "mods" folder that overwrite the normally used files (see genNEXT as an example, it should be in the mods folder you downloaded).

Also make sure you set up your new mod in the formats.js file otherwise you wont be able to play your mod (this is located in the "data" folder).
Ah... my computer was confused by the read me for some reason, but I got it open. Some of this stuff though seems very vague... perhaps it assumes I have a bit more know how prior? For example:
Pokemon Showdown requires Node.js and npm (which is installed by default with Node.js since v0.6.3).
Took me a while to realize that was something I had to look up and download.
Copy config/config-example.js into config/config.js, and edit as you please.
There's definetly a config folder in the zip with a config-example.js.... is there ANOTHER config folder I don't know about? Does that mean rename the one that is already there? And what am I even expected to do here?:
After this, start Node:
Code:
cd <location of PS>
node app.js
Ok, yes... I started Node. I suppose that's the easy part. Am I expected to type that in and hit enter? Clearly I missed something here.

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
There's definetly a config folder in the zip with a config-example.js.... is there ANOTHER config folder I don't know about? Does that mean rename the one that is already there? And what am I even expected to do here?:
Yes just rename it.

Ok, yes... I started Node. I suppose that's the easy part. Am I expected to type that in and hit enter? Clearly I missed something here.
I am assuming you are windows, in which case you type that into the command prompt (cmd). You first go to the location where you saved PS using the cd command (google if you need help with this). Should look something like cd D:/documents/Pokemon-Showdown , obviously this will change for every computer so make sure you get the right path, you can do it one folder at a time. Once you are in the Pokemon-Showdown directory just type node app.js and assuming you have installed node properly and done everything else properly it should give you a link to your server.

Note this will only make the server available to you on your computer, there are extra steps you need to take in order to have other users connect.

I am assuming you are windows, in which case you type that into the command prompt (cmd). You first go to the location where you saved PS using the cd command (google if you need help with this). Should look something like cd D:/documents/Pokemon-Showdown , obviously this will change for every computer so make sure you get the right path, you can do it one folder at a time. Once you are in the Pokemon-Showdown directory just type node app.js and assuming you have installed node properly and done everything else properly it should give you a link to your server.

Note this will only make the server available to you on your computer, there are extra steps you need to take in order to have other users connect.
aaaaah, ok. With a specific place to input the command, suddenly I feel like I'm doing something. Yeah, I got a localhost server going, and that ran in chrome so I'm assuming that worked.
I guessed that I'd go to data/pokedex to alter base stats and abilities, since that's the only place that I see them present. After changing a pokemon and entering the server though, I don't see the change. Are the actual values stored in a different file?

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
Ah... my computer was confused by the read me for some reason, but I got it open. Some of this stuff though seems very vague... perhaps it assumes I have a bit more know how prior? For example:
Yeah, the README was made for people who already knew their way around a POSIX command line and knew how to operate a server.

I just went and rewrote it to be more detailed:

https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown/blob/master/README.md

I don't understand what's confusing about that part. Yes, that's the right config folder. Make a copy of config-example.js and name it config.js. Keep it in the same folder.

I just went and rewrote it to be more detailed:
I've been asking a lot of questions but I haven't given thanks where it's due. MJB, Zarel, I apologize if my inquiries came off as whiney and demanding. Thankyou for helping a newbie chase a fantasy. (and by chase a fantasy I mean satiate my constant desire to create and alter designs.) The expected procedure is muuuuch easier to understand. I'm "cloning" as I type this.

Copy config/config-example.js into config/config.js, and edit as you please.
To me, "copy into" means make a copy, and then paste the copy somewhere else. Obviously there was nowhere else, which is why I considered the possibility of the copy remaining in the same folder. I almost dismissed this idea though, as it seemed by far too simple to be the correct solution.

So, the PokeCommunity server's ladder hasn't been working since February. Whenever a rated battle is finished, this message is given:

Ladder updating...
Ladder (probably) updated, but score could not be retrieved (corruption).
Other servers such as the Pokemon Database are also having issues with the ladder rankings. Our server ID is set correctly, as you can see here, and we've been using the default server files. As far as I know, node.js has also been updated recently. My question is: can we fix our custom ladder so that the rankings are updated again, or is it out of our hands?

PSIM.US What is this.

Ok so i was heading to my server i saw that it said PSIM.US in the Http.
What is this, because i believe it has made the server go down?
Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)