Ask a Simple Question Get a Simple Answer - RU Edition

I know i'll sound like a complete noob asking this but...
We all know Ninjask was a great baton passer pre-5th gen, high speed, swords dance ect. But i haven't found anyone to replace him in 5th gen RU. I tried using accelgor, but i usually just use agility and substitute to baton pass into my Tangrowth. I've been trying to find the right strategy...
Should I stick with Accelgor, Ninjask... baton pass and i... ugh... help me.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
what does UU, RU, and NU stand for, and how do the apply to wifi battling.
UU stands for UnderUsed, it means that every pokemon that is not OU (like 50 or so are in OU) they are UU.
RU is the tier below UnderUsed; it stands for RarelyUsed. Much like UU with OU, RU is every pokemon that is not UU.
NU stands for NeverUsed, and I'm sure you can guess how it plays out. NU pokemon are everything that is not RU.

Also note that tiers fall in order. So in RU for example, neither UU nor OU pokemon can be used. That means in NU pokemon who are RU, UU, and OU cannot be used.

There's also banlists for each of those respective tiers but that's another story.

I know i'll sound like a complete noob asking this but...
We all know Ninjask was a great baton passer pre-5th gen, high speed, swords dance ect. But i haven't found anyone to replace him in 5th gen RU. I tried using accelgor, but i usually just use agility and substitute to baton pass into my Tangrowth. I've been trying to find the right strategy...
Should I stick with Accelgor, Ninjask... baton pass and i... ugh... help me.
Accelgor's Encore gives it a unique niche for Baton Passing, although you would have to leave out Substitute if you want an attacking move. Otherwise, Scolipede can pass Agility and still have an offensive presence.

Which RUs can stand up to Groudon and RU chlorophyll users? I'm in a tournament which allowed 5 RUs + 1 Uber. Unlike in standard ubers, SwiftSwim with Drizzle is banned, however Drought + Chlorophyll is still legal as it is in all tiers.

I'm thinking my Uber should be Arceus (Normal), but I am unsure which RUs I should use to counter the impending sun.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Gligar is probably your best bet for stopping an offensive Groudon. Most Chlorophyll Pokemon are slow enough that Scarf Typhlosion can outspeed and OHKO them even in the sun. Honchkrow destroys most sun sweepers with Sucker Punch. If you're looking for something that can wall Victreebel, Exeggutor, and Charizard in the sun, you won't find it in RU, but revenge killing them is pretty easy.

I know this isn't a RMT - but I don't know where else to get help from. Is Perish Trapping Murkrow a good answer to taking down the opponent's uber? Is it a good idea to use Arceus or should I find something in Ubers that can take on Victreebel/Zard/Exeggutor/etc.?

The first draft of the team looks pretty crappy, but this is what I've tried out against my friend: (we both use pretty crap draft Ruuber teams)

1. Bulky 252HP/252 Attk ExtremeKiller Arceus (SD/ES/Shadow Force/Recover)
  2. LO Lilligant (HP Fire/Quiver Dance/Sleep Powder/Giga Drain)
  3. Perish Trapping Murkrow (Perish Song/Mean Look/Sub/Roost) [might use Honchkrow)
  4. Cleric/Utility Uxie (Rocks/Heal Bell/T-wave/U-turn)
  5. Sp. Defensive Munchlax (Whirlwind/Body Slam/Rest/Sleep Talk)
  6. Suicide Spike Layer Qwilfish (Aqua Jet/Payback/Spikes/Destiny Bond)

Yeah, I'm not looking too good right now, but thanks for the help so far guys.

No, because the opponents uber can just OHKO your Murkrow. instead of Murkrow, use a Honchkrow to revenge your opponents sun sweepers. (Substitute/Roost/Sucker Punch/Brave Bird) I'm assuming Groudon will be fairly common, so why not use a Kyogre? It'll cancel out sun, and can take out Groudon. I'd then definitely fit Scarf Typhlosion on my team, perhaps over Munchlax. Idk if these are the best suggestions, but GL! Sounds like a fun tournament.

I'm returning to RU from the very beginning of the tier, and I'm looking for a good place to jump in. What would be a good launching point, what are the most popular team styles, biggest threats, etc... Also is DD Crawdaunt used much at all?

You should probably just start out with Aerodactyl and 5 strong pokemon. Honestly heave offense is really really good in this metagame. It's not perfect, but from there you can pick it up quickly. And sadly Crawdant kind of sucks. I really wish it was good, but it's just too outclassed by other boosting waters like Feraligatr and Samurott.

You should probably just start out with Aerodactyl and 5 strong pokemon. Honestly heave offense is really really good in this metagame. It's not perfect, but from there you can pick it up quickly. And sadly Crawdant kind of sucks. I really wish it was good, but it's just too outclassed by other boosting waters like Feraligatr and Samurott.
Alright, thanks for the advice. If only Crawdaunt had a bit more than 55 base speed, then it might be okay.

Heavy Offense is only really good unless played correctly. Aerodactyl gets rocks up, but doesnt give you screens. Uxie would be much better than Dactyl, considering you can set up Rocks, Screens, and then U-turn out. Also, most boosters in the RU metagame are physically frail and share common weaknesses, HO teams can't handle a CB Entei ES (Other than Omastar, but HO teams shouldnt be switching too much). Anyway, HO is good, but smart players with decent teams can play around it very easily.

Hyper Offense doesn't necessarily mean a team of boosters with Stealth Rock thrown on there. I, for one, utilize Hyper Offense quite often, and I usually employ a scarfer or two, and maybe 1 or 2 boosting sweepers at the most. It isn't wise to carry more than 2 boosting sweepers on a Hyper Offense team. The same could be said for other teams: "A good HO player can work around other teams that are built to withstand HO," so your argument is not really valid.

Hyper Offense doesn't necessarily mean a team of boosters with Stealth Rock thrown on there. I, for one, utilize Hyper Offense quite often, and I usually employ a scarfer or two, and maybe 1 or 2 boosting sweepers at the most. It isn't wise to carry more than 2 boosting sweepers on a Hyper Offense team. The same could be said for other teams: "A good HO player can work around other teams that are built to withstand HO," so your argument is not really valid.
By definition, correct me if I'm wrong, but Heavy/Hyper Offense doesn't use Choice users and minimizes the need for switching. HO is a playstyle where you continually wear down the opponents walls from one side of the attacking spectrum. I think the playstyle you described is general offense, which is effective in its own right. But yes you are right about my argument, but i was just trying to show that HO is not the dominant playstyle in RU.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Which is a good Special Tailwind abuser, that packs a lot of power and doesn't get fucked by priority?

LO Moltres could be good, resists Mach Punch, has decent defenses, and has U-turn in case you need to switch out. Unfortunately it doesnt get Tailwind, but it has a lot of other things going for it. You just need to keep SR off the field.

Edit: alexwolf your team is insane. I played it tonight, and its really stressful to face. TR and tailwind on the same team is ridiculous hahaha

I am having serious troubles with ludicolos in the rain. What is a counter that can take a hit from one of its STAB moves and OHKO it or at least get it into a reliable revenge killing range. It is only weak to bug, flying, and poison type moves, and there is no real solid pokemon with those typings that can take hits from ludicolo very well.
Thanks for any help.

Normally, I handle Ludicolo by paralyzing it, and then hitting it with strong neutral hits. On my team, this is how i usually handle it. Ludicolo takes SR damage, and then i paralyze it with Uxie. I U-turn out to Rotom-C to take the Surf, which can hit it with a strong Volt-Switch. I bring in Entei on the Ice Beam, and Flare Blitz for the KO. Of course, the conditions are not always great for this, but the moral of the story is that the easiest way to take down Ludicolo is to paralze it, resist its hits, and attack when you have an opportunity. Also, if Ludicolo is being used on a Rain team, this method of takedown is also good because you waste turns of Rain.

If that method doesnt appeal to you, Unburden Hitmonlee can come in on anything other than Surf/Hydro Pump, use Fake Out, activate Unburden, outspeed and KO with HJK/CC.

Hope I helped!

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
LO Moltres could be good, resists Mach Punch, has decent defenses, and has U-turn in case you need to switch out. Unfortunately it doesnt get Tailwind, but it has a lot of other things going for it. You just need to keep SR off the field.

Edit: alexwolf your team is insane. I played it tonight, and its really stressful to face. TR and tailwind on the same team is ridiculous hahaha
While Moltres is good, i forgot to mention that i also want the abuser to not get fucked up by SR, which happens with Moltres.

So my TR + Tailwind was annoying huh? Glad to know this! xd

But still the team is very mediocre and i haven't had any real success with it, and after playing 4 straight hours, i couldn't make it work.
So i will inform you a little bit more to see if i can get any good idea.

My team consists of Focus Sash TR Sigilyph, Focus Sash TR Duosion, CB Zweilous, LO Camerupt, TR + Tailwind Whimsicott and LO Medicham.
The main idea is to wreck shit with Camerupt and Zweilous and then finish with Medicham. But Medicham hasn't been performing so well, because it gets walled by many things and gets fucked by priority not named Mach Punch...
Any suggestions?

alexwolf, druddigon is a pokemon that works well under both tr and tailwind. It's also very bulky for an offensive mon and its choice banded outrage is really powerful

alexwolf, druddigon is a pokemon that works well under both tr and tailwind. It's also very bulky for an offensive mon and its choice banded outrage is really powerful
I hate Druddigon, seriously don't implement that change, it's one of the most annoying things for my team to face. loljk, Druddigon is much better than Zweilous, because it cant be easily revenged with Mach Punch. Also, it doesn't have accuracy issues. And yeah, Medicham isnt that great as a finisher, maybe you could try Galvantula? Just an idea.

Normally, I handle Ludicolo by paralyzing it, and then hitting it with strong neutral hits. On my team, this is how i usually handle it. Ludicolo takes SR damage, and then i paralyze it with Uxie. I U-turn out to Rotom-C to take the Surf, which can hit it with a strong Volt-Switch. I bring in Entei on the Ice Beam, and Flare Blitz for the KO. Of course, the conditions are not always great for this, but the moral of the story is that the easiest way to take down Ludicolo is to paralze it, resist its hits, and attack when you have an opportunity. Also, if Ludicolo is being used on a Rain team, this method of takedown is also good because you waste turns of Rain.

If that method doesnt appeal to you, Unburden Hitmonlee can come in on anything other than Surf/Hydro Pump, use Fake Out, activate Unburden, outspeed and KO with HJK/CC.
I think he was looking for reliable counters, not using someone else's team and predicting :p

Nothing can really both take a hit and OHKO Ludicolo, since Ludi will be faster in rain. Some stuff that can actually take Ludicolo's moves:

Hydro Pump vs.
252 HP / 252 SpDef Cryogonal: 36.91 - 43.89%
136 HP / 248 SpDef Munchlax: 26.29 - 31.01%
252 HP / 252 SpDef Roselia: 19.73 - 23.68% (Ice Beam: 42.1 - 50%)
252 HP / 0 SpDef Regice: 32.41 - 38.18%
252 HP / 252 SpDef Mandibuzz: 38.2 - 45.28% (Ice Beam: 40.56 - 48.11%)

Basically those are the only decent Pokemon that can take a few hits, and 3 are weak to Stealth Rock. I wouldn't really worry much about Ludicolo in rain because they aren't too common. Your best options are paralyzing it, stalling out rain or hitting it hard with priority. The priority that hits Ludicolo the hardest is Honchkrow's Sucker Punch (80 - 94.42%).

This makes me want to use Ludicolo lol.

Double01

Hate it or love it the under dog's on top
If you play a HO team you really should be focus on 1 side of the attacking spectrum (physical/special) I personaly run 5 Sp atk with 1 physical attacker on my team with no hazards or screens support. Of course Ive been using my ho team since round 2 and you don't need to have screens or hazards on a HO team to be successful. I've been seeing a ton more heavy offensive teams but some people just put 5 random sweepers with a screener and think they are going to win games consistently. Your team has to have good synergy with eachother that check eachother threats. You also should be able to handle balance, stall, and TR teams to be succesful. I probably been ranting about something that doesn't matters but people assume that HO is easy to ladder with it just because it is an easy play style. But to be consistent with a HO team is quite difficult and requires a lot of work on the team. Final note is that using a specially based HO team is much easier to make then a physically based team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)