Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone suggest Parasect EV spreads and nature for a support one on a Rain team? I wouldn't have a Life Orb available for him, but I would have Sash and Sitrus

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's got pretty good Attack, so 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD would probably work. If you want it to just be support, then I dunno, I suck at defensive EVs.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
maybe something like this with a sash:
Parasect (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- X-Scissor/Rage Powder
- Aromatherapy
- Spore
- Protect
X-scizzor is there in case youre afraid of being taunt bait, plus it hits common threats super effective(even though it wont do much without EV investment) so its your best bet at an attacking move

1. Not at the fall ones, I REALLY hope they'll change that and get a few for the Spring :/

2. Yep!
I think they said on the site taking notes is discouraged, I was creaping around the VGC questions people had submitted. I don't really expect TVs at Spring Regionals, but certainly at Nats

From the rules: http://assets5.pokemon.com/assets/cms/pdf/op/tournaments/2012/pokemon_tournament_rules_11_1_2011.pdf

8. Note Taking
Players are allowed to take notes during a game in respect to actions that have happened during the game. Players may take notes during a match and refer to those notes. Players may choose not to share these notes with other players, but a judge may ask to see a player’s notes and request an explanation if needed. A player’s note sheet must be blank at the start of each match.

Players must be timely with their note taking and may not use devices that may send or receive
messages as a note-taking device. A player may not refer to notes taken during previous rounds while the tournament is still in progress. Notes taken during a match may not be given to other players during the course of the tournament.

Because a judge may ask to see a player’s notes while a match is in progress, the use of codes, ciphers, abbreviations, or any other method of obscuring the meaning of the information is not permitted. Additionally, notes taken by a player may not contain misinformation, intended to deceive tournament staff.

I think they said on the site taking notes is discouraged, I was creaping around the VGC questions people had submitted. I don't really expect TVs at Spring Regionals, but certainly at Nats
It's not discouraged at all. As DrFidget pointed out, they are perfectly fine and acceptable as long as you don't show anyone else the notes. I did it for all my 6 matches at RI and Liesek and them were fine with it.

If I'm remembering correctly, that is a departure from past years. I'm pretty sure that I had read that note taking was forbidden during matches.

Either way, I'm glad to know that it is specifically allowed now.

On a hail team about how many pokemon should be immune to hail damage for a balanced team? Currently 4/6 of my pokemon are immune and one is magic guard reuniclus.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
On note taking it depends on the individual tournament. iirc there was some controversy in ft wayne over actual note taking during the battle but people didn't care afterwards but it was different other places. check with your local pto for a definitive answer.

On a hail team about how many pokemon should be immune to hail damage for a balanced team? Currently 4/6 of my pokemon are immune and one is magic guard reuniclus.
I'd say maybe a bit less, since 4/6 puts you under the cruel flames of Chandelure and other Fire-types. It all depends on who those Ice-types you are using ARE, anyways.

I'd say maybe a bit less, since 4/6 puts you under the cruel flames of Chandelure and other Fire-types. It all depends on who those Ice-types you are using ARE, anyways.

3/6 are ice types, and the ice types are Abomasnow/Glaceon/Mamoswine, the last one is a magic guard reuniclus. The other three are Kingdra/Latios/Reuniclus.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
I would say no more than two Ice-types, or else you start running into serious defensive issues. How many are immune isn't really important, as that shouldn't be the main focus of the team.

I would say no more than two Ice-types, or else you start running into serious defensive issues. How many are immune isn't really important, as that shouldn't be the main focus of the team.
I have 3 ice types Abomasnow/Glaceon/Mamoswine, which would you suggest getting rid of?

Quick question from a lurker trying to get into Smogon's community, from the Fall entries into VGC 2012 and other international events, (and the flow of the metagame online) does anyone have any inkling as to how common Tailwind still is? Or any Speed-Weather (Chlorophyll-Drought/Swift Swim-Drizzle) usage at all? I'm working on a team that at the moment doesn't rely on too many speed enhancements and would like to know from anyone who's delved into the metagame much at all.

Sorry if this misses some rule or another in the thread, I tried to keep this up to snuff.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Tailwind is fairly common, Swift Swim is mostly just Ludicolo, sun and sand teams in general are rare in my experience so that's harder to judge.

But don't forget Trick Room! I see a lot of Trick Room teams.

Quick question from a lurker trying to get into Smogon's community, from the Fall entries into VGC 2012 and other international events, (and the flow of the metagame online) does anyone have any inkling as to how common Tailwind still is? Or any Speed-Weather (Chlorophyll-Drought/Swift Swim-Drizzle) usage at all? I'm working on a team that at the moment doesn't rely on too many speed enhancements and would like to know from anyone who's delved into the metagame much at all.

Sorry if this misses some rule or another in the thread, I tried to keep this up to snuff.
Tailwind based teams are somewhat uncommon, but many teams have a Zapdos or sometimes Latios to set it up for a team that doesn't NEED it, but certainly like it

So Trick Room is fairly common? That'll be interesting to contest.

Any further people that want to opine? I'm getting the feeling that weather isn't as dominant as it was forecast for this VGC.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Rain teams are fairly common, but they tend to focus more on bulky Water-types/Thunder/etc. than Swift Swim. Abomasnow and Tyranitar are all over the place, but they're not usually used for dedicated weather teams, but rather to check rain and because they're good on their own.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't necessarily think that weather isn't as dominant as it was predicted to be, rather that the strategies of a dedicated weather team are easily picked apart. The fact that most weather teams have a speed boosting Pokemon is one reason why trick room is so common, this also in more ways than not discourages the use of tailwind. Tailwind is a viable option but just like any team, its going to have its checks and counters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)