Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
say a garchomp is out with a yache berry. my pokemon uses ice shard which would normally KO , but yache berry weakens by 50%. however my pokemon is holding an ice gem, so does that fully cancel out the yache berry or is there a chance that there might still be a 1 or 2 HP difference?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
say a garchomp is out with a yache berry. my pokemon uses ice shard which would normally KO , but yache berry weakens by 50%. however my pokemon is holding an ice gem, so does that fully cancel out the yache berry or is there a chance that there might still be a 1 or 2 HP difference?
0.5*1.5=0.75
So you'd hit it for 3x damage.

Do you guys think swiss rounds for Masters in Philly tomorrow will be finished for 5:10? That's when I'm booking my bus for so I really need to know. Thanks!

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do you guys think swiss rounds for Masters in Philly tomorrow will be finished for 5:10? That's when I'm booking my bus for so I really need to know. Thanks!
its starting at 12 according to the OP, so i would assume it'd probably last around 3-4 hours, though it all depends on how many people get there

it should probably be done around 5:10 though, since that'd be running pretty late if it werent

its starting at 12 according to the OP, so i would assume it'd probably last around 3-4 hours, though it all depends on how many people get there

it should probably be done around 5:10 though, since that'd be running pretty late if it werent
Yeah I think I'll just go ahead and book it. If I know I won't make top 4, I'll just drop from the rounds. If I know I have a good chance of making top 4, I'll stay because the rewards will be more than enough to compensate for the couple extra bucks I'll pay to reschedule my bus, lol.

As long as you don't Cancel Participation, you're still in the tournament. You should be able to go into the game between rounds without any problem.
How do I temporarily exit the Battle Competition without canceling my participation? Just shut the DS off?

Are you sure that I can get back in afterwards, even if I save the game?

Player ID where to enter.

I went to my first Pokemon event in Madison, Wisconsin and received a player id at the event. I have an existing http://www.pokemon.com/ account and I see no way of adding this id to the account. How do I do this? I've been told there used to be a place to add it under organized play tab of profile but this no longer exists. I have been looking for hours and am shocked to see no one else who has this problem.

I went to my first Pokemon event in Madison, Wisconsin and received a player id at the event. I have an existing http://www.pokemon.com/ account and I see no way of adding this id to the account. How do I do this? I've been told there used to be a place to add it under organized play tab of profile but this no longer exists. I have been looking for hours and am shocked to see no one else who has this problem.
Sorry, you can't really add a Player ID as far as I'm aware, correct me if I'm wrong. I think you can either make a new account and get a Player ID, or use a Player ID received at a tournament and use it to make an account.

Anyone know exactly what the Attack and Defense EVs for Gyarados accomplish? They explain the HP, SpD, and Spe EVs, but all they say about the Atk and Def EVs are that they "further boost [its] physical capabilities."

Also, if Wacan Berry is not used, should the 20 SpD EVs be placed elsewhere?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Anyone know exactly what the Attack and Defense EVs for Gyarados accomplish? They explain the HP, SpD, and Spe EVs, but all they say about the Atk and Def EVs are that they "further boost [its] physical capabilities."

Also, if Wacan Berry is not used, should the 20 SpD EVs be placed elsewhere?
I think the 20 SpD is so that you're guaranteed to survive an unboosted Thunderbolt from Modest Zapdos and Modest Thundurus when you're at full HP. However Electric Gem Thunderbolt will OHKO through Wacan Berry every time unless running Careful nature + 252 HP/SpD (in which case it's 50% chance to OHKO).

I think the 20 SpD is so that you're guaranteed to survive an unboosted Thunderbolt from Modest Zapdos and Modest Thundurus when you're at full HP. However Electric Gem Thunderbolt will OHKO through Wacan Berry every time unless running Careful nature + 252 HP/SpD (in which case it's 50% chance to OHKO).
Yeah, I saw that explanation for the SpD EVs, but I was wondering about the Atk and Def EVs.

Yeah, I saw that explanation for the SpD EVs, but I was wondering about the Atk and Def EVs.
Turning Rock Slide into a 2HKO from Tyranitar and other Rock Slide users such as Terrakion oftentimes into 3HKOs. Random Wild Bolts from things like Eelektross too. This is what the Defense EVs are for. The attack EVs are just filler.

Is anyone certain that I can enter the game and use the GTS to upload a battle video (of my last round) between rounds without losing my place in the Battle Competition? I emailed Nintendo and asked them but they were unable to give me a definitive answer.

I know you can exit the Battle Conpetition without losing your place; I accidentally powered off my DS between registration and the first round, and I was able to rejoin.
I know I'm late in answering this, but you can easily use the 'Look Back' feature after a match and record it the old fashioned way: with a camera pointed at the screen. If you want crystal-clear quality for every battle, the venue'd better have DS compatible WiFi! Getting back into the game after you've turned it off isn't hard either; it's just Battle Competition -> Live Competition, if I remember correctly.

In the VGC, how important are IVs? Like is having (almost) flawless Pokemon necessary? Is havin Pokemon with 31 in their relevant stats important? Or could one successfully use a team that was EV trained and had the right natures, etc but did not necessarily have good IVs?

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In the VGC, how important are IVs? Like is having (almost) flawless Pokemon necessary? Is havin Pokemon with 31 in their relevant stats important? Or could one successfully use a team that was EV trained and had the right natures, etc but did not necessarily have good IVs?
A few points lossed here and there won't kill you, but it does add up. It's not too difficult to breed something with 2 or 3 31 IVs in important stats, with the rest of the relevant stats in the 20s. And usually I'd say having something like that is good enough. Though if you can RNG or find someone who can give you RNG'd Pokemon, its usually best that you do that.

I bred 5 TR based pokemon with 30/31 in 3/4 stats apiece using just max Iv parents and Fast hatch code. It sounds like alot, and takes time if unlucky, but isn't RNG which can be hard to learn.

If a pokemon gets hit by 2 physical attcks in the same turn, then uses Counter, what will happen?

My team is mostly sandstorm

Rotom-W/Metagross/Terrakion/Haxorus/Garchomp/Something, possibly Excadrill?

Should I make it fully sandstorm?

You are definitely gonna want a Tyranitar, I would probably replace something you have for Tyranitar, actually.

I know I'm late in answering this, but you can easily use the 'Look Back' feature after a match and record it the old fashioned way: with a camera pointed at the screen. If you want crystal-clear quality for every battle, the venue'd better have DS compatible WiFi! Getting back into the game after you've turned it off isn't hard either; it's just Battle Competition -> Live Competition, if I remember correctly.
Yeah, I used "Look Back" and a camera in Orlando, but while I was recording, people came up to me and asked what I was doing and even tried to get a peek at my team. Fortunately, the Classic Center had DS-compatible Wi-Fi, so I was able to use the GTS to upload the video of my last match in between rounds.

Another question: This is along the same lines of what winterpetrel asked, but if I don't plan to use any Hidden Power on a specific team's Zapdos, is it worth the 1-point IV difference to RNG for a HP Ice spread for future versatility (to avoid having to play through Pt/HG/SS again in the likely event that I'll want a HP Ice Zapdos on a future team)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)