Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
It was cluttering the stickies. Feel free to post pictures in the nats thread! I'll add a hide bracket with them if there's enough.

Regarding late registration. This is just an assumption we are making by looking at TCG. TPCi has not released the schedule and we can't really look at last year because this is the first open nats.

When do accuracy modifiers for moves whose accuracy is affected by weather apply?
Like, if I led with X and Glaceon, and on Turn 1, switched the X for Abomasnow and Hail successfully was summoned. In that turn, Glaceon used Blizzard. Would the accuracy be boosted to 100%? On the same note, if on turn 1, if I led with Abomasnow and Glaceon, and my opponent switched in Cloud Nine Golduck, would the Blizzards in that turn be reduced to normal 70% accuracy?

To simply answer your question, yes to both scenarios. Weather isn't locked in like speed is (like when you use Tailwind / Thunder Wave, the order of which Pokemon will move is already determined and additional affects do not change this until the following turn). If there is no Hail on the field, and you switch in Abomasnow, there's Hail now so Blizzard will be 100%. Likewise with Golduck/T-tar/Politoed/Ninetales, it removes the hail.

I was asked a valid question at league tonight that I could not answer.

Using a gem with a multi-hit move (this case, normal gem+tail slap technician Cinccino) would the gem boost the power of just the 1st hit or all hits?

When running Trick Room without running an Imprison user, what is the best way to fight opposing Trick Room teams? Is it better to make your team as slow as possible and activate TR to still have the reverse-speed advantage, or is it better to run a slightly faster (out of TR) team so that you can shut down the TRer and outpace them the whole match? The reason I do not run Imprison + slightly faster TR Pokes is because I almost always miss the move I have to give up when facing non-TR teams than the struggle that is TR vs TR (that first turn is always horrifying "Will he TR? Imprison?").

And then I do not know if this is the right place to ask, but is there going to be a Battling 202 session before Nationals?

When running Trick Room without running an Imprison user, what is the best way to fight opposing Trick Room teams? Is it better to make your team as slow as possible and activate TR to still have the reverse-speed advantage, or is it better to run a slightly faster (out of TR) team so that you can shut down the TRer and outpace them the whole match? The reason I do not run Imprison + slightly faster TR Pokes is because I almost always miss the move I have to give up when facing non-TR teams than the struggle that is TR vs TR (that first turn is always horrifying "Will he TR? Imprison?").

And then I do not know if this is the right place to ask, but is there going to be a Battling 202 session before Nationals?
Because of my grades I will not be attending nationals or worlds this year, so I might as well reveal my team to better answer this question. At regionals I ran an anti-trick room trick room team. It consisted of Gardevoir, Hitmontop, Heatran, Scizor, Breloom and Rotom-W. All of which are pokemon you wouldn't usually see in TR. I pretty much ran Pokemon that were slow enough for Trick Room but were fast enough to outspeed other trick room teams, and I could either use Gardevoir to reverse the dimensions or Breloom to Spore the Trick Room user. I found that running this team counters Trick Room rather well, Poison Heal Breloom can stop Amoongus in its tracks as well. Idk if this helped, but that's what I think of the situation

It's once until you reach the top cut (Top 64/128 players after swiss rounds are over.) From there on, every round is a best 2 of 3 match where if you lose, you're out of the tournament.

128 would be awfully high for 270 people... even 64 seems a bit large. My guess would be 32 but I don't have too much knowledge on this.

Dimsun

VGC 2012 Seniors Champion
Or they could be jerks and make it 16. *snicker*
Then again, I doubt(seriously doubt please be true) that will happen.

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
How common is it for Tornadus and Thundurus to run 252 speed Evs and a Positive nature in VCG? :3

This is for the upcoming Wi-Fi tournament, I have a Poison Heal Gliscor, but I can't make my mind up between two movesets:

IVs: 31/31/31/26/31/31
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe (to hit exactly 134 speed)
Nature: Adamant (best thing I got from RNG'ing)
Item: Toxic Orb for obvious reasons

Too lazy to re-EV train, so I won't be making any changes to that.

Anyway, the two movesets:

1)
Ice Fang / EQ / Swords Dance / Rock Polish (Agility having slightly more PP doesn't make a massive difference)
Works great in singles, yet to test it in doubles

2)
EQ / Protect / Substitute / Toxic
Sounds very solid, though I'm a bit low on items, so I can't afford to delete Ice Fang, because I don't have enough heart scales to re-teach.

I have Tailwind support from Suicune, so that isn't an issue. I lead this with Gengar last Int'l tournament, and it had reasonable success. Besides, I'll be having a Virizion, the aforementioned Suicune and Gengar, Dragonite, and Gyarados.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think if you're using a Gliscor with TW support and an adamant nature, you should be looking for a more agressive move set. Neither of these are particularly doubles orientated. Check out the onsite analysis, particularly the physical tank set. You need at least two attacks and protect though, you don't have time to boost and stall in VGC with such a limited timer.

Question: say a Porygon2 with Trace gets burned the one turn. Next turn, it switches out, and the opponent later brings in a Pokemon with Synchronize, such as Umbreon. When Porygon2 comes out again later and Traces Sychronize, will the burn be passed onto the opponent, and if so, which one?

When making a trick room team, is it wise to have 2 Pokemon with trick room for different situations, or only one so that you have room for something else?

Thanks to whomever answers this.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Depends on what the rest of your team looks like. Add a second user if you have room for it, but don't sacrifice threat coverage or important support for it.

A second user is incredibly important in my opinion. If only one user, it would have to be something really bulky that isn't too much of Taunt bait. Two users just allows for more utility, even if one is more of a backup option.

I always like to have two users of Trick Room, for different scenarios that your team will face. Generally I would choose one bulky user(Cresselia, Dussclops, Porygon2 etc.) and one offensive user(Chandelure, Reuniclus, Gallade, etc.) Only one could be used if you really needed that extra slot on your team, but two is usually the better choice.

So. As many people know, I am practically obsessed with TR and will likely refuse to play anything else for awhile. Is it okay if a team lacks a way to super effect Cresselia?

The specific instance is switching Scizor out for Metagross, who works a bit better outside of TR. While Cresselia can't do diddly-squat to Metagross, Metagross can't do too much to her either. A Bold Cresselia is 4HKO's by Meteor Mash, and in 4 uses of it there is very likely to be a miss. Cresselia can also Rest off damages. The main worry is that Cress will take forever to die and can keep supporting or reversing my Trick Rooom for a long time. I apologize of for not offering more details on the team, it is very similar to my Philly one, becuase I intend to use a variation of it at Nats.

Thanks!

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well Drifblim, lets rephrase your question, and see if that answers it. Are you confident knowing you'll have trouble taking down one of the meta's most popular mons, which can happily stall and readily support your opponent? I mean, you'll have to have two mons alive against a rest variety if they're looking to just stall to time. It's all very situational, but I don't honestly think that letting such a strong 'mon go about her business unchallenged is a great idea.

I'm sorry if that answer sounds a bit, harsh, but, just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)