1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Discussion in 'VGC' started by makiri, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Werecario

Werecario

Is it about that time to re-open the vgc photo album? Or has it been that time for a while now?
  2. Infinity.Cypher

Infinity.Cypher

Just want to confirm one more time, if I arrive to Indy on Saturday Morning, I would be able to register for Nats? And would their be a limit to the amount of players able to register Saturday?

In addition, did Saturday late registration happen with Nats 2011?
  3. Huy

Huy INSTANT BALLS
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

It was cluttering the stickies. Feel free to post pictures in the nats thread! I'll add a hide bracket with them if there's enough.

Regarding late registration. This is just an assumption we are making by looking at TCG. TPCi has not released the schedule and we can't really look at last year because this is the first open nats.
  4. LR2K

LR2K

When do accuracy modifiers for moves whose accuracy is affected by weather apply?
    Like, if I led with X and Glaceon, and on Turn 1, switched the X for Abomasnow and Hail successfully was summoned. In that turn, Glaceon used Blizzard. Would the accuracy be boosted to 100%? On the same note, if on turn 1, if I led with Abomasnow and Glaceon, and my opponent switched in Cloud Nine Golduck, would the Blizzards in that turn be reduced to normal 70% accuracy?
  5. Cybertron

Cybertron Can't Hit WoW
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

To simply answer your question, yes to both scenarios. Weather isn't locked in like speed is (like when you use Tailwind / Thunder Wave, the order of which Pokemon will move is already determined and additional affects do not change this until the following turn). If there is no Hail on the field, and you switch in Abomasnow, there's Hail now so Blizzard will be 100%. Likewise with Golduck/T-tar/Politoed/Ninetales, it removes the hail.
  6. ultimatedra

ultimatedra

I was asked a valid question at league tonight that I could not answer.

Using a gem with a multi-hit move (this case, normal gem+tail slap technician Cinccino) would the gem boost the power of just the 1st hit or all hits?
  7. R Inanimate

R Inanimate Grasp the earth, Grasp the World.
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

8. LR2K

LR2K

When running Trick Room without running an Imprison user, what is the best way to fight opposing Trick Room teams? Is it better to make your team as slow as possible and activate TR to still have the reverse-speed advantage, or is it better to run a slightly faster (out of TR) team so that you can shut down the TRer and outpace them the whole match? The reason I do not run Imprison + slightly faster TR Pokes is because I almost always miss the move I have to give up when facing non-TR teams than the struggle that is TR vs TR (that first turn is always horrifying "Will he TR? Imprison?").

And then I do not know if this is the right place to ask, but is there going to be a Battling 202 session before Nationals?
  9. Saboros

Saboros

Because of my grades I will not be attending nationals or worlds this year, so I might as well reveal my team to better answer this question. At regionals I ran an anti-trick room trick room team. It consisted of Gardevoir, Hitmontop, Heatran, Scizor, Breloom and Rotom-W. All of which are pokemon you wouldn't usually see in TR. I pretty much ran Pokemon that were slow enough for Trick Room but were fast enough to outspeed other trick room teams, and I could either use Gardevoir to reverse the dimensions or Breloom to Spore the Trick Room user. I found that running this team counters Trick Room rather well, Poison Heal Breloom can stop Amoongus in its tracks as well. Idk if this helped, but that's what I think of the situation
  10. Cannonfodder

Cannonfodder

I know nationals will not be single elimination, but how many times do u battle someone each round? Once or is it best of three? Thanks
  11. pokemaster649

pokemaster649

Once.
  12. Cybertron

Cybertron Can't Hit WoW

It's once until you reach the top cut (Top 64/128 players after swiss rounds are over.) From there on, every round is a best 2 of 3 match where if you lose, you're out of the tournament.
  13. Drifblim

Drifblim

128 would be awfully high for 270 people... even 64 seems a bit large. My guess would be 32 but I don't have too much knowledge on this.
  14. Cybertron

Cybertron Can't Hit WoW

128 is obviously for Masters while 64 or 32 is most likely for Juniors and Seniors. 9.9
  15. Dimsun

Dimsun
    is a VGC 2012 Seniors World Champion

Or they could be jerks and make it 16. *snicker*
    Then again, I doubt(seriously doubt please be true) that will happen.
  16. zero2exe

zero2exe Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
    is a Contributor Alumnus

How common is it for Tornadus and Thundurus to run 252 speed Evs and a Positive nature in VCG? :3
  17. R Inanimate

R Inanimate Grasp the earth, Grasp the World.
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

More often than not. Though on occasion you do face ones that are bulky. I'd give an arbitrary 9/10 times it will be 252 speed though.
  18. ShortsTheory

ShortsTheory

This is for the upcoming Wi-Fi tournament, I have a Poison Heal Gliscor, but I can't make my mind up between two movesets:

IVs: 31/31/31/26/31/31
    EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe (to hit exactly 134 speed)
    Nature: Adamant (best thing I got from RNG'ing)
    Item: Toxic Orb for obvious reasons

Too lazy to re-EV train, so I won't be making any changes to that.

Anyway, the two movesets:

1)
    Ice Fang / EQ / Swords Dance / Rock Polish (Agility having slightly more PP doesn't make a massive difference)
    Works great in singles, yet to test it in doubles

2)
    EQ / Protect / Substitute / Toxic
    Sounds very solid, though I'm a bit low on items, so I can't afford to delete Ice Fang, because I don't have enough heart scales to re-teach.

I have Tailwind support from Suicune, so that isn't an issue. I lead this with Gengar last Int'l tournament, and it had reasonable success. Besides, I'll be having a Virizion, the aforementioned Suicune and Gengar, Dragonite, and Gyarados.
  19. Dozz

Dozz Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I think if you're using a Gliscor with TW support and an adamant nature, you should be looking for a more agressive move set. Neither of these are particularly doubles orientated. Check out the onsite analysis, particularly the physical tank set. You need at least two attacks and protect though, you don't have time to boost and stall in VGC with such a limited timer.
  20. ShortsTheory

ShortsTheory

^Thanks, this set is quite similar to my EV spread.
  21. The Knights of Wario Land

The Knights of Wario Land

Question: say a Porygon2 with Trace gets burned the one turn. Next turn, it switches out, and the opponent later brings in a Pokemon with Synchronize, such as Umbreon. When Porygon2 comes out again later and Traces Sychronize, will the burn be passed onto the opponent, and if so, which one?
  22. SacredMiKeY

SacredMiKeY

When making a trick room team, is it wise to have 2 Pokemon with trick room for different situations, or only one so that you have room for something else?

Thanks to whomever answers this.
  23. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead

Depends on what the rest of your team looks like. Add a second user if you have room for it, but don't sacrifice threat coverage or important support for it.
  24. Drifblim

Drifblim

A second user is incredibly important in my opinion. If only one user, it would have to be something really bulky that isn't too much of Taunt bait. Two users just allows for more utility, even if one is more of a backup option.
  25. TalkingLion

TalkingLion

I always like to have two users of Trick Room, for different scenarios that your team will face. Generally I would choose one bulky user(Cresselia, Dussclops, Porygon2 etc.) and one offensive user(Chandelure, Reuniclus, Gallade, etc.) Only one could be used if you really needed that extra slot on your team, but two is usually the better choice.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)