Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spore Amoongus it is then. :)
You should use Spore Amoongus with Double Team! They don't have Evasion clause there either!

But honestly, just because it has a different clause than what we consider to be standard does not mean it is anywhere near broken in this metagame. Your logic is not that good. Try to use pokemon because they are good in the metagame, which Amoongus certainly is but your logic behind using Spore is bad.

You should use Spore Amoongus with Double Team! They don't have Evasion clause there either!

But honestly, just because it has a different clause than what we consider to be standard does not mean it is anywhere near broken in this metagame. Your logic is not that good. Try to use pokemon because they are good in the metagame, which Amoongus certainly is but your logic behind using Spore is bad.

I didn't mean to imply I'm using Amoongus just b/c of Spore....it's just a very big plus. I'm also using him b/c of Rage Powder so my Carracosta can set up.

This may seem like a stupid question but what do you think the best way to test out teams is? I made a team and took to the Pokemon Online Smogon server but found absolutely nobody to play with. Is there any reliable way to test out a team before making it in game?

This may seem like a stupid question but what do you think the best way to test out teams is? I made a team and took to the Pokemon Online Smogon server but found absolutely nobody to play with. Is there any reliable way to test out a team before making it in game?
Go on the Skarmbliss server on PO. Lots of more VGC players there.

Not really a "Simple Question / Answer" but I just did some calculations in Numbers (Excel for Macs) and thought I'd post some data in case anyone else was curious was as curious as me.

I copied a pokemon type chart into an excel sheet, and used that to generate weakness/resistances for any pokemon (single or dual type). Then I took the usage data from here and typed out the top 50 pokemon along with their proportionate usage and typing. Finally, I went through each attacking type and ran down the list of VGC pokemon, multiplied their weakness/resistance multiplier times their usage percent and divided by total usage to get a "somewhat" accurate idea of which attacking types are most effective in the metagame.

The top result is actually Ice, which hits for an average of 137.05% damage. The top two pokemon (Chandelure and Jellicent) both resist it, but it hits super effective against numbers 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, and 13. The rest are below:

Ice 137.05%
Flying 121.77%
Rock 115.17%
Dragon 109.60%
Water 109.47%
Ghost 108.34%
Fighting 103.43%
Dark 102.54%
Psychic 102.42%
Ground 102.24%
Fire 99.15%
Electric 96.23%
Grass 94.90%
Steel 93.63%
Bug 91.51%
Poison 85.58%
Normal 77.98%

Excel sheet is available here if you want it. I haven't tested to make sure it works, since I worked in Numbers and saved a copy as an xls file for the benefit of the PC users. Let me know if you want the original numbers file.

EDIT: Keep in mind this doesn't account for abilities like Levitate, Flash Fire, Water Absorb, etc, so it's not 100%.

is it safe to assume if i live in south fl (fort lauderdale) i'd have to make quite the trip to regionals?

i've been told southeast was in atlanta last year and that's a 10+ hour drive.

That's s pretty safe assumption, but nothing is concrete yet.

The 2009 southeastern regional was in Nashville, I believe. That's even farther away.

Either way, kind of a bummer for FL residents.

yeah, it majorly blows that people who live in the ass-end of florida either have to pay hundreds of dollars on a flight+board (or spend that much in gas+10 long hours) just to play some pocketu monsterus.

that's life i guess, and i'm certain other people have it worse in that regard. i seem to remember the thing being in orlando in 2006 (another year i was considering going) which would've been much more manageable.

Does Zoroark's Night Daze abide by the rules of VGC?
Obviously 2011's rules aren't fully up yet, but going by last year, would it have been allowed?
For those who don't know, and to contextualise my point; Night Daze has a 10% chance of lowering accuracy.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's fine to use any attack in the game except for Sky Drop due to the potential glitch, as long as that Pokémon is legally capable of using said move on a legal move-set.

This includes any moves that effect Evasion in any way, and even OHKO attacks.

Do the impish scrafty starters usually have 31 IVs in spe or 0? (or is it both?)
It's really general preference. You can try this set if you're having trouble creating a set.

Scrafty, Impish
Moxie @Leftovers
252 Def, 252 Atk, 6 SpDef
-Drain Punch
-Fake Out/Detect/Protect
-Rock Slide
-Crunch

Woohoo! Mah 400th post!

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's really general preference. You can try this set if you're having trouble creating a set.

Scrafty, Impish
Moxie @Leftovers
252 Def, 252 Atk, 6 SpDef
-Drain Punch
-Fake Out/Detect/Protect
-Rock Slide
-Crunch

Woohoo! Mah 400th post!
Scrafty doesn't need Leftovers nor Impish nature, the best (and standard) set is:

Scrafty @ Focus Sash/Chople Berry/Coba Berry
Moxie
Brave
252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD
0 Spe IV
Drain Punch
Fake Out
Crunch
Ice Punch/Detect

If you're looking for a Rock Slide user, then go with Conkeldurr.

I've been thinking lately about trying something like lead Amoonguss and ZoroGrigus with Cofagrigus and (something) in reserves to bluff a TR setup. But can Cofagrigus actually run well on a team alongside Zoro, or should I just stick with ChandeZoro and an offensive lead?

Edit: Also, how likely is it that people will start to learn teams at VGCs? I'm wondering if Zoroark will be useful past the first few rounds, or if people will hear about the teams running it and start to learn what it is.

Yoshiken; Edit: Also said:
The competitors are not allowed to leave the battling zones, so they would not see other people's battles, so they would not know unless people on the outside tell them their opponent's team.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Nah, AS ABSOLUTELY DISPICABLE AS IT IS it's actually pretty easy to talk to a buddy in the crowd between rounds and learn what mons are being used by who. That's why we got Mike to get the leaders off the TVs in the lower rounds last year. So it at least helped that situation a little bit.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Keep in mind that you can switch around the order of your team's pokemon in between rounds, so if you have Zoroark in one round, then have it out the next, and they expect a Zoroark, you can use that to your advantage. The mindgames are pretty much endless, so Zoroark will absolutely be useful, even if the opponent knows your team.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Nah, AS ABSOLUTELY DISPICABLE AS IT IS it's actually pretty easy to talk to a buddy in the crowd between rounds and learn what mons are being used by who. That's why we got Mike to get the leaders off the TVs in the lower rounds last year. So it at least helped that situation a little bit.
yeah at nats my R1 match was on TV and since sand was up and both of our poks had leftovers, the battle took forever and everyone got to see my team x_x

it was good to see that after that they made the competitors who finished their battles wait in an area where they couldn't see the TVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)