Ask an Uber Question, Get an Uber Answer (Read FAQs in First Post Before Asking)

blitzlefan

shake it off!
What prominent threats will outspeed Choice Scarf Terrakion if he decides to run an Adamant nature over a Jolly nature? Is an Adamant nature advised, or is Jolly superior?

jolly is superior
you fail to outspeed:
  • +1 DDRay
  • Adamant Kabutops
  • Choice Scarf Genesect
  • Choice Scarf Palkia
  • Choice Scarf Kyurem-W
  • Choice Scarf Salamence
  • Choice Scarf Kyurem-B
  • Choice Scarf Landorus
  • Choice Scarf Thundurus-T
  • Choice Scarf Victini
  • Choice Scarf Jirachi
  • Deoxys-S
  • And fail to speed tie opposing Choice Scarf Terrakion

Bryce

Lun
It was because of the way EVing worked in Gen 4 and the fact Arceus came at level 100. Back then you could only get EVs by gaining experience with the exception of items like HP up, Protein, etc. However, these items could only boost a stat to 100 before they stopped working. The EV system changed in BW where even level 100 Pokemon could gain EVs as they were instantly applied after battle and were no longer linked to gaining experience points.
I thought it had something to do with lvl 100.But in serebii I checked and it showed Arceus can be found at lvl 80.Here's what I found on serebii.

"Once you go to the event, you will receive the item called: Heaven's Pipe. With this item in your bag, go to the Spear Pillar in Mt. Coronet where you battled Dialga or Palkia. Go to the symbol between the pillars and use the Heaven's Pipe. Some stairs will appear that will go up to the Hall of Origin. Here Arceus resides. Be warned as it is the highest level Wild Pokémon at Lv. 80 so be prepared"

the Azure Flute aka Heavenly Pipe has not been released, so that method is unavailable. Arceus has only been released at lvl 100 via several events

Bryce

Lun
the Azure Flute aka Heavenly Pipe has not been released, so that method is unavailable. Arceus has only been released at lvl 100 via several events
We're approaching gen 6 and a gen 4 event is yet to be released.......

Anyway,thanks for clarifying

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Champion
Big Chungus Winner
how does a core of kyogre dialga gliscor darkrai sound

full team has scarfsect and kabu w/ it.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
No obvious typing flaws at the moment, but with a slight Fighting weakness, and you might want a more solid check for Kyogre (Dialga + Genesect /should/ be able to take it down though). We would appreciate it if you add your sets so I/we could give you more feedback.

A four man core is already a strange thing. Assuming more or less standard sets, I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with these guys. Dialga and Darkrai have some nice offensive synergy together but Kyogre isn't really providing much to the duo to really consider it a core member. (still an excellent pick on your team of course) Gliscor seems really out of place being a defensive mon that isn't really going to lure out the kinda stuff Darkrai and Dialga want softened up. (cept Defensive Ogre so that isn't too bad) Of course, if you provided the actual sets and what led you to create this core it would be easier to give it an accurate rate.

Okay, how do you beat the Swagger-mon strategy? It seems like it should be a non-issue, but I keep running into a guy who has a Deo-S/Liepard/Sabeyle/Tentacruel
My team is Xatu/ScarfSect/Groudon/Latias/Giratina-O/Ho-Oh. It's incredibly embarassing --he'll just get rocks up and proceed to sweep with Liepard. You can't set up Ekiller cause Sabelye will just burn it. You can't set up anything else because Liepard will Encore it. Also they just need to get lucky twice with swagger and its gg...I don't even know.

Consider Thundurus, which outruns Liepard and Sableye and can Taunt them. Thundurus can also Thunder Wave CM Arceus and other sweepers. If Thundurus isn't your style, consider running Lum Berry on Groudon, allowing it to completely screw over Swagger mons.

Okay, how do you beat the Swagger-mon strategy? It seems like it should be a non-issue, but I keep running into a guy who has a Deo-S/Liepard/Sabeyle/Tentacruel
My team is Xatu/ScarfSect/Groudon/Latias/Giratina-O/Ho-Oh. It's incredibly embarassing --he'll just get rocks up and proceed to sweep with Liepard. You can't set up Ekiller cause Sabelye will just burn it. You can't set up anything else because Liepard will Encore it. Also they just need to get lucky twice with swagger and its gg...I don't even know.
It should be a non issue. Run a forretress with toxic instead of xatu, and toxic the sableye when he comes into switch. Xatu isnt very good in ubers.

Xatu is viable in Ubers, especially against support 'mons like Forretress and Ferrothorn.
It also deals with defensive variants of Groudon since they lack of Stone Edge, where Espeon can't switch in safely because of the possible ohko on EQ.

To complete the answer for playing against some annoying Swagger-teams, Yea Lum Berry -mons could be an issue to deal with. For my part, I often run Lum on my EKceus. And also since Extreme Speed is +2 priority, you will hit Liepard before it attempts to confuse/paralyse you.

The fact is that you need some stuffs against different status like T-Wave Kyogre (very common these times) and Darkrai. So even if the difference is big cos Prankster outpass scarf/fast pokemons (Genescarf), you always could find a way to deal with status with an correct team.
Finally, ofc if you're very unlucky, you won't do anything against this kind of strategy, but as we know, haxx-based strategies are almost unbeatable if the user is very lucky x)

PS: Furai, you biatch using this haha

Honestly, swagger is only a problem if your team can't handle hazards. Confusion wears off by switching out and it's only a 50% chance of messing with your mon.

Honestly, swagger is only a problem if your team can't handle hazards. Confusion wears off by switching out and it's only a 50% chance of messing with your mon.
The Swagger users conveniently learn a move known as foul play... they also get priority substitutes and Thunder Wave/Will-O-Wisp.

It should be a non issue. Run a forretress with toxic instead of xatu, and toxic the sableye when comes into switch. Xatu isnt very good in ubers.
I find that Xatu works better than Forry in a lot of instances since it's so hard to spin in Ubers and Ho-Oh is so important to my team that I can't afford the time needed to wear blockers down with Toxic. Plus Forry can't even touch Gira-A. The only mon Reflect Xatu can't stop getting rocks up is Dialga and LO Deo-S with Shadow Ball. (Deo-A is beaten with smart Genesect play)

But you're right, Foretress would help a lot in this situation.

As the user after me said, Swaggermons learn Foul Play. Typical play:

You kill Deo-S (with Genesect, say, and switch in Ho-Oh) In comes Liepard. It Swaggers you, and you can't hit it. It Subs up the next turn, and keeps subbing until you don't hit. Then it uses Foul Play. If you switch out (to Ho-Oh, say) it will Swagger you again from behind a Sub.

Now, it's going to Foul Play anyway and even if you switch, the switch in is going to take a bunch of damage. You can't just keep switching forever, even if hazards aren't up.

Of course, this relies on them getting lucky with the first confusion hax, but if they do the strategy is very difficult to stop.

Yeah you can switch forever if hazards aren't up, lol. If you really want to play it safe and not let Liepard hax your team (which is a huge gamble anyways) just PP stall it out of moves by passing between mons that don't care about Twave. If you run Forry you can easily Spin on it or even Spike if it isn't too lucky.

Forry + Ho-Oh is really good since both lure out Tina sets so with Spikes + Ho-Oh's attacks it won't last very long to mess with them. Xatu is only really good to mess with Spikers and defensive Groundon sets (even then it has flaws like Volt-Switch Forry, wasted teamslot etc.) which neither really mess with Ho-Oh (assuming it outspeeds bulky Groudon).

I find that Xatu works better than Forry in a lot of instances since it's so hard to spin in Ubers and Ho-Oh is so important to my team that I can't afford the time needed to wear blockers down with Toxic. Plus Forry can't even touch Gira-A. The only mon Reflect Xatu can't stop getting rocks up is Dialga and LO Deo-S with Shadow Ball. (Deo-A is beaten with smart Genesect play)

But you're right, Foretress would help a lot in this situation.

As the user after me said, Swaggermons learn Foul Play. Typical play:

You kill Deo-S (with Genesect, say, and switch in Ho-Oh) In comes Liepard. It Swaggers you, and you can't hit it. It Subs up the next turn, and keeps subbing until you don't hit. Then it uses Foul Play. If you switch out (to Ho-Oh, say) it will Swagger you again from behind a Sub.

Now, it's going to Foul Play anyway and even if you switch, the switch in is going to take a bunch of damage. You can't just keep switching forever, even if hazards aren't up.

Of course, this relies on them getting lucky with the first confusion hax, but if they do the strategy is very difficult to stop.
Forry can pain split Gira-A on a switch and give you a free switchin on the rest next turn, you can then win by putting out offensive pressure. Xatu loses to Exca with SR, fire blast or lava plume Gdon, Dialga, Lando-T, Arceus forms with SR, Deo-A with Ice beam (you can't say its "beaten with smart play" anything is), Tyranitar, Terrakion with SR, Xatu is just not good in ubers for preventing sr.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Forretress isn't really used to spin, it's used to add pressure since all common sr setters (deo-s/a, dialga, groudon) can't mindlessly set up sr since it could just be spun away. On the other hand it's also used to set up your own hazards and/or support your team. Same can be said about escadrill since you risk either losing your hazards or giving it free setup.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Although Forretress does discourage the usage of entry hazards while it's in play, it very rarely provides "pressure", seeing as it has rather mediocre offensive stats and is rarely used in an offensive manner. Also, Deoxys-S, Deoxys-A, Dialga, and Groudon all have moves commonly used to effectively beat Forretress, namely Fire Punch, Hidden Power Fire, Fire Blast, and Fire Punch/Fire Blast/Overheat, in that order.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Although Forretress does discourage the usage of entry hazards while it's in play, it very rarely provides "pressure", seeing as it has rather mediocre offensive stats and is rarely used in an offensive manner. Also, Deoxys-S, Deoxys-A, Dialga, and Groudon all have moves commonly used to effectively beat Forretress, namely Fire Punch, Hidden Power Fire, Fire Blast, and Fire Punch/Fire Blast/Overheat, in that order.
It forces your opponent to switch into their spin blocker aka applying pressure. But then again you don't understand the concept of defensive pressure. Those mons that you mentioned rarely run those moves and if they did a combination of sturdy + custap berry still allows the forry user to get ahead.

Lol, all those mons commonly run those moves as their goal is to setup hazards and not have one of the most common Spinner and Spikers (as well as other Spikers) use them as fodder for whatever they want to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)