Battle has started! Chou Toshio v. panamaxis

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This battle occurred pre-reset of the Wifi Ladder. I had started laddering since the day before and had just gotten past the 1250 mark. I somehow failed to realized that the "within 200 point" search function put the man at the top of the ladder in range. O.o Not that this is a bad thing. I have battled Panamaxis a number of times on Shoddy's ladder as well . . . doesn't exactly mean I expected to win. If I have ever beaten him (too many battles to recall), it was due to hax, and I don't think I ever recall a single victory. Usually getting utterly stomped on, heh. If that wasn't bad enough, I know that I have been out of the loop of competitive battling for a while and only really got back into it recently with 5th Gen. On the other hand I know I'm facing a top player at the top of his game (though we're all still experimenting). All I can do is give it my all!

Panamaxis ringing in too :D

I want to clarify that this battle happened several weeks ago, so both teams (or at least mine) may seem "unpolished" for the current metagame.

Chou Toshio's Team

Aragornbird, you fail for screwing up Breloom's sprite upload!!! >3>

panamaxis' Team

Also, for people interested, stuff: lol

Battle between panamaxis and Chou Toshio started!

Chou Toshio sent out Jirachi!
panamaxis sent out Salamence!
The foe's Salamence intimidates Jirachi!
Jirachi's Attack fell!

So, my first impressions of Pany's team is that it is some form of Semi-Stall, with Nattorei and Xatu working together to setup hazards / block hazards and lead into a more offensive strategy with Salamence, Shaymin-S and Doryuuzu.

The first thing I notice about Pany's team is that he has a Xatu. This would be extremely troublesome if I were to mispredict and go for the Stealth Rock. My Jirachi is a Scarf Lead that also acts as something of a Shaymin-S check, meaning I'm packing Ice Punch. I decide to go for it in the off chance he switches to Xatu. It also hits Salamence for 4x Super Effective.

Team reveal shows that Chou Toshio originally had Jirachi in the lead position. From this I’m guessing that Jirachi is his probably his SRer, Scarfer or both. With this in mind I send out Salamence in order to get the intimidate on him but I intend to double switch straight to Xatu who will either bounce back SR (due to his new ability Magic Mirror which is essentially an auto Magic Coat), take an intimidated attack or get tricked (as Xatu is likely my most useless member I’d rather it get tricked than anything else).

Start of turn 1
panamaxis called Salamence back!
panamaxis sent out Xatu!

Jirachi used Ice Punch!
It's super effective!
The foe's Xatu lost 28% of its health!

The foe's Xatu restored a little HP using its Leftovers!Henceforth, will remove Xatu's Leftovers from commentary

Alright, it's not like I wasn't aware that Salamence had Intimidated me, but I had no clue my super effective Ice Punch would be scrapping off so little damage. A lot of factors go into this true-- the intimidate, Jirachi's only "above average" attack stat unboosted by any means, Ice Punch's low base power, and the fact that Xatu must be EV'd very defensively (hey, it's not about to Sweep OU so why not right? Makes sense). Xatu does have a nice support move pool with the likes of Reflect and Light Screen. It's really not an option for Jirachi to stay in and keep Ice Punching. I decided to switch to Tyranitar to minimize the setup damage Xatu can do.

So I’m pretty sure at this point that Jirachi is Choice-Scarfed, I figure I might as well fire off a psychic and see what he brings in.

Start of turn 2
Chou Toshio called Jirachi back!
Chou Toshio sent out Tyranitar!

Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
The foe's Xatu used Psychic!
It had no effect!

The sandstorm rages!
The foe's Xatu is buffeted by the sandstorm!Removing Sand henceforth

Nice. I luck out and get Tyranitar in for free on an incoming Psychic (and get sand up!). This seems to me a perfect opportunity to throw up a substitute and break through his team with Tyraniboah. While I am aware of the risk of being met with a reflect that could stop Boah in its tracks, I decide the risks are worth it, and go for the substitute.

Here’s where I wish I payed more attention to the Team Reveal but oh well. Protect seems like a win-win move. It should reveal whether he has crunch or pursuit and it should bounce back SR if tyranitar is in fact his SR user.

Start of turn 3
The foe's Xatu used Protect!
The foe's Xatu protected itself!

Tyranitar used Substitute!
Tyranitar made a substitute!

Tyranitar restored a little HP using its Leftovers!Removing Tyranitar's Leftovers henceforth.

I'm not going to lie-- at this point in the battle things are looking particularly good. I have got up sand, found out a little bit about Xatu (I know it's packing Protect / Psychic and most likely Wish), and have a Tyraniboah behind a substitute, essentially for free. I decide I might as well go for the obvious move and Crunch.

Yeah so about that win-win situation...... At this point I’m fairly confident that tyranitar has a fire move (what t-tar doesn’t in this nattorei and skarm infested metagame) and crunch/dark pulse with probably Ice-Beam or Focus Punch as the last move. He’ll probably fire off a crunch/dark pulse so I might as well go to my bulky Salamence to break the substitute and hope he doesn’t have Ice Beam.

Start of turn 4
panamaxis called Xatu back!

Tyranitar's substitute suppressed the foe's Salamence's Intimidate!
Tyranitar used Crunch!
The foe's Salamence lost 31% of its health!

The foe's Salamence restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
Henceforth removing Salamence's Leftovers

Holy crap that Salamence is bulky! This Tyranitar has MAX Attack EVs and not even affected by Intimidate. Unfortunately, I am not packing Ice Beam as Focus Punch and Flamethrower are just too valuable on Boah to pass up. All I can really do is go for the Crunch and cross my fingers for a Def drop.

Okay cool, so he did use crunch. I have to break this substitute so Dragon Claw it is.

Start of turn 5
The foe's Salamence used Dragon Claw!
Tyranitar's substitute faded!

Tyranitar used Crunch!
The foe's Salamence lost 32% of its health!
The foe's Salamence's Defense fell!

So I actually get the Def Drop. Nice. I could stay in and keep Crunching, but I see a golden opportunity here. I am going to switch out to Jirachi to feign wrecking Salamence with Ice Punch, and then immediately go for Stealth Rock. I doubt he will once again switch Xatu into an incoming Ice Punch, especially one unaffected by Intimidate. SR would be a huge boon in this game, hitting all three of his flying types for super effective. I take the chance.

Okay so he doesn’t have Ice Beam which means Salamence is a relatively safe switch-in. I need to roost this turn so Salamence can take on tyranitar in future encounters.

Start of turn 6
Chou Toshio called Tyranitar back!

The foe's Salamence used Roost!
The foe's Salamence landed on the ground!
The foe's Salamence regained health!

Step one.

Xatu isn’t bulky enough to take 2 consecutive Ice-Punches after that first one and Xatu is way too valuable to lose now because I faintly remember that he has a Breloom. I’ll switch to Nattorei, either way I’ll be able to get some spikes up next turn and limit his switching.

Start of turn 7
panamaxis sent out Nattorei!

Jirachi used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around panamaxis's team!

Oh, and The sandstorm and panamaxis rages!

Step 2. I got my rocks up, and things are looking pretty sweet. Unfortunately, I have also given Pany a golden opportunity to setup entry hazards, and there's not really much I can do about it. I can take the opportunity to go to my breloom and begin pushing my wall breaker game even further!

Yeah good move by Chou here. SR is really going to limit my switching around with salamence and Xatu so I need to get my own hazards down ASAP to limit HIS switching.

Start of turn 8
Chou Toshio sent out Breloom!

The foe's Nattorei used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of Chou Toshio's team!

Breloom's Toxic Orb activated!
Breloom was poisoned!Yeah, yeah, you know about this.

So I bring Breloom in, at which point I realize I have made something of a misplay. Spore is useless in the face of Xatu, and seeing how little damage Jirachi's Ice Punch did, I don't really foresee Seed Bomb or Focus Punch doing much either. >______> A perfect Breloom Counter!? I decide to go to Substitute and see how things go.

Breloom was a safe switch-in for Chou, resisting PowerWhip, Leech Seed and not being fast enough to take a ton from Gyro Ball. Time to send out Xatu and absorb whatever Breloom plans on doing.

Start of turn 9
panamaxis called Nattorei back!
panamaxis sent out Xatu!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Xatu!

Breloom used Substitute!
Breloom made a substitute!

hidy hoo

I want to Scout for Stone Edge so I’m going to use this turn to protect as I’m pretty sure he won’t waste a substitute. If he has Stone Edge I’ll have to Psychic next turn, but if he doesn’t then I can use this time to Wish up.

Start of turn 10
The foe's Xatu used Protect!

Breloom used Seed Bomb!

Eh, ie. he now knows I don't have Stone Edge / Thunder Punch. Great.

They call me a genie baby.

Start of turn 11
Breloom used Seed Bomb!
It's not very effective...
The foe's Xatu lost 19% of its health!

The foe's Xatu used Wish!

I am now beginning to realize that had I really been smart, I would have avoided this whole step by simply double switching to Tyranitar when I expected Xatu . . . no I was too scared to switch Tyranitar straight into Nattorei. Well, I guess that's not unfounded. There have been plenty of times Nattorei have Gyro Balled Breloom instead of switching out. I'll stop beating my head to the desk (poor desk) and start thinking about my next move.

Obviously I’m going to use this turn to break the substitute so I’m at full health and Breloom is exposed.

Start of turn 12
Breloom is tightening its focus!
It's super effective!
Breloom's substitute faded!

Breloom used Focus Punch!
The foe's Xatu lost 18% of its health!

Xatu's wish came true!

fail PAWNCH!!!

. . . Please don't ask me about the logic of the last few moves . . . I can't really answer that intelligently . . .

Breloom can’t win this battle any time soon and Chou knows it so it would make sense for him to switch to tyranitar, so I should switch to Salamence. However, I’m pretty sure Chou realises this so I’m going to stay in and wish to be on the safe side in case he tries anything funny. Worst case scenario, tyranitar comes in and I pass the wish to Salamence, thus nullifying SR and getting an intimidate on it.

Start of turn 13
Breloom used Spore!
Breloom's Spore was bounced back by Magic Mirror!
But it failed!

The foe's Xatu used Wish!

;>3> *whistling*

Yeah, nice try. He might substitute or spore again here because he may think that I want to pass the wish to one of my team-mates, so I’ll Psychic just to be sure.

Start of turn 14
Breloom used Substitute!
Breloom made a substitute!

It's super effective!
Breloom's substitute faded!

Erhm . . . please don't ask me what the point of those last few turns were . . . please . . .

Okay. Considering that I’ve been playing pretty conservative for the early portion on this match, I’m pretty sure he’s going to switch to tyranitar this turn so I’ll take this turn to switch-in Salamence.

Start of turn 15
Chou Toshio called Breloom back!
Tyranitar is hurt by spikes!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Salamence!

The foe's Salamence intimidates Tyranitar!
Tyranitar's Attack fell!

lol, and I have managed to navigate myself into a terrible double switch. Brilliant! Switching out to Gliscor because it's clear this is not an offensive Salamence. Hopefully, I can poison it with Fling.

Well that worked out well. I haven’t revealed earthquake yet and considering breloom can’t take an Earthquake followed by a Dragon Claw it seems to be a decent move for now in case he gets any ideas about switching jirachi in.

Start of turn 16
Chou Toshio sent out Gliscor!

The foe's Salamence used Earthquake!
It had no effect!

Gliscor's Toxic Orb activated!
Gliscor was poisoned!woot, removing

Woohoo!

Mmm, okay so he has a gliscor. This’ll either be the fling/acrobat variant or the toxic/aerial ace version. Either way, Nattorei is the best switch-in as nothing else on my team really wants to take a toxic that badly.

Start of turn 17
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Nattorei!

Gliscor used Fling!
Gliscor flung its Toxic Orb!
The foe's Nattorei lost 2% of its health!

And I didn't see this coming, why?? I am beginning to realize that I am on the losing end of a very annoying stall loop. Not badly mind you, I haven't lost any of my key members, but I am finding Panamaxis' defenses surprisingly difficult to break. I mean, I'm being stalled by Xatu and Salamence-- we're not exactly talking about defensive juggernauts here, and yet it's because they are not the typical walls that I am having so much trouble breaking them (despite SR!).

I used breloom last time, so I want to avoid doing that again. Especially when Pany has clearly shown Breloom that it is Xatu's bitch. I'm going to switch to my only other real Nattorei check, TTar (yeah, I know). TTar can also beat Xatu though, should it switch back in.

So he has the acrobat version. I’ll be completely honest here, I can’t remember why I made the next move that I do, I should’ve stayed in and spiked with nattorei but I must’ve feared taunt or something (which is stupid) but hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Start of turn 18
Chou Toshio called Gliscor back!

panamaxis sent out Xatu!

Howdy doody :D All I can really do is sub and crunch. He's going to bring in Salamence. Not much I can do about it . . .

A good move by Chou coupled by a horrendous move by myself puts me in a dreadful position, I’ll have to go to Salamence here as I can’t risk Xatu dying just yet.

Start of turn 19

Tyranitar's Attack fell!

You guys are going to get a good laugh at how much damage Crunch deals to his Salamence next turn. After this battle, I switched to Stone Edge . . . >_______>

Excellent. I got the intimidate on Tyranitar before it substituted so I’ll use this time to heal up before I attack him.

Start of turn 20

Tyranitar used Crunch!
The foe's Salamence lost 24% of its health!

lol . . . moving right along . . .

Time to break that substitute.

Start of turn 21

Tyranitar used Crunch!
The foe's Salamence lost 21% of its health!

Gliscor is really the only thing I have that can handle the Salamence in any way shape or form, so Gliscor it is . . .

Here comes Mence's Roost . . . oh well . . .

I need Salamence at full health to be able to take on tyranitar so I have no other option but to roost here.

Start of turn 22

The fact of the matter though that Gliscor can't really do anything to that defensive Salamence either. I do realize though that Salamence is relatively weak, and I decide to take a risk and see if I can force it back out with Garchomp.

Now that Gliscor has flung its toxic orb it doesn’t really threaten Salamence (especially with all my defensive EVs) so I’ll just Dragon Tail here to force a switch and get a little bit of damage.

Start of turn 23
Chou Toshio sent out Garchomp!
Garchomp is hurt by spikes!

The foe's Salamence used Dragon Tail!
It's super effective!
Garchomp lost 200 HP! (55% of its health)
Gliscor was dragged out!

Well, that just went . . . aweful. I don't even want to talk about it . . .

Salamence isn’t taking any Sand Veil BS from Garchomp and pimp smacks him back into his pokeball. Well that worked out really well for me, I might as well Dragon Tail again as he can’t really touch Salamence and it’ll rack up that spikes damage.

Start of turn 24
Gliscor used Fling!
But it failed!

The foe's Salamence used Dragon Tail!
Gliscor lost 73 HP! (20% of its health)
Rotom-W was dragged out!

Rotom-W restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
The foe's Salamence restored a little HP using its Leftovers! Removing henceforth

Wait, Fling? What happened to my Acrobat? Well folks sorry to blemish this otherwise interesting battle with a misclick, but I doubt my Acrobat would have done much more damage to the defensive Salamence. Right now Salamence is giving me serious issues.

Anyway, I see Nattorei possibly switching in, and Salamence might also Dragon Tail me knowing Rotom can't really hurt it either. W-o-W seems like a good answer for this turn.

No idea why he used Fling there but all the better for me I suppose. This seems like a perfect time to get another layer of spikes on the field so Nattorei is the obvious switch for me as I’m fairly sure he won’t want to switch out and potentially take another dragon tail + hazards.

Start of turn 25
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Nattorei!

Rotom-W used Will-O-Wisp!
The foe's Nattorei was burned!

Nice, Nattorei got burned. This does make it easier for me to switch into it, but right now the hazards are my real problem. My team is pretty tough in sand, and is getting up lots of leftovers / poison heal restoration keeping in the fight, but I can tell that if I don't manage to break through Panamaxis' defenses soon, I won't be holding up longer than him.

I just got to keep forcing the pace with TTar and hope SR can do its magic.

Getting another layer of spikes is worth getting burned at this point. At the moment Tyranitar is the biggest threat to my team if he uses smart switching and SR to wear salamence down, so the sooner I can kill that thing the better. Spikes is the easiest way to accomplish this at the current point in time so Spikes it is.

Start of turn 26
Chou Toshio called Rotom-W back!

The foe's Nattorei used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of Chou Toshio's team!

Back to Crunching. Here we go again. At this point, I will have to rely on Crunch's Defense dropping to force switches. This is part the reward for taking the initiative to attack instead of stall.

Back to Salamence to rinse and repeat.

Start of turn 27

Tyranitar's Attack fell!

Here we go.

1) Break the substitute
2) Roost to regain health
3) ????
4) Profit!

Start of turn 28

Tyranitar used Crunch!
The foe's Salamence lost 22% of its health!

Fingers crossed.

All part of the plan

Start of turn 29

Tyranitar used Crunch!
The foe's Salamence lost 23% of its health!
The foe's Salamence's Defense fell!

Well well well . . . :P

Yeah okay, so that wasn’t part of the plan...I have to Earthquake this thing before it starts hitting me too hard.

Start of turn 30
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 184 HP! (45% of its health)

Tyranitar used Crunch!
The foe's Salamence lost 34% of its health!

Sooooo Weeaaak!!!

Tyranitar is on low enough health to be taken out at this point and I REALLY want this thing dead because even at very low health it can OHKO Nattorei and Xatu can’t touch it either as its other attacking move is Hidden Power [Fire]. EARTHQUAKE YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Start of turn 31

It had no effect!

I say no no :D Salamence finds himself between a Rock and hard place literally, with low health, a faster enemy and SR pressed to his back. At this point Salamence is weak enough to possibly take out. And I REALLY want to take it out!!! Acrobat away!!!!

And Gliscor comes in. While this may seem like a bad move at the time it’s really all part of my elaborate plan to further pressure Chou Toshio’s core by forcing Gliscor to kill Salamence.

...Nah I’m just screwing with you, that was a legitimate mistake on my part and I really didn’t want Salamence to die but due to SR I don’t really have much choice other than to leave him in.

Start of turn 32
Gliscor used Acrobat!
The foe's Salamence lost 34% of its health!
The foe's Salamence fainted!

Chou Toshio: 6 Pamaxis: 5

This might be my first redeeming moment of the match! :P I finally took out that fucking Salamence, giving me the first kill of the match! When fighting Stall, the first kill is always the more important. From here, TTar still has a chance to take out Xatu and Nattorei. I am still in it now that Salamence has bit the dust. Hopefully, things will speed up here and my offensive team can take the lead!

panamaxis sent out Shaymin-S!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Shaymin-S!

Fuuuuck . . . This is where I wish I had also paid more attention to the team preview. I have been so concerned about stall, I forgot Pany's team is semi-stall. Fortunately for me, my Shaymin-S check is still kickin'. Switching in Scarfrachi is really all I got. Hopefully he blindly throws out an Air Slash.

But on the plus side this is a perfect opportunity for Skymin to come in and wreak some havoc. I’m pretty sure he won’t risk gliscor and will probably switch to his scarfrachi (Scarf jirachi is actually a really good check to Skymin so I’m confident he will use it) so now’s a perfect time to substitute up.

Start of turn 33
Jirachi is hurt by spikes!

The foe's Shaymin-S used Substitute!
The foe's Shaymin-S made a substitute!

Fuuuuuuuuck . . . All I can do is go for the Ice Punch and knock out the sub. Then will be my brilliant plan to double-switch to TTar as he brings in Nattorei and then proceed to break face! It's brilliant! right? >____>

Yeah, so he did switch in Jirachi. Skymin can’t hurt jirachi too much. I could Seed Flare here which would cause the most damage to Jirachi but I don’t think I need to use it to kill it so I’ll leech seed to gain a bit of health back and go from there.

Start of turn 34
Jirachi used Ice Punch!
It's super effective!
The foe's Shaymin-S's substitute faded!

The foe's Shaymin-S used Leech Seed!
Jirachi was seeded!

Oh, a free turn free of commentary. Why don't I entertain you with some Japanese Karaoke. あ!憧れの!ポケモンマスターに!なりたいな!ならなくちゃ!ぜったいなってやる!!! (Ah! The admirable Pokemon Master! I wanna become one! I will become one! Imma show you I'll become one!)

So it is scarfed. Now I plan to go to tyranitar and pursuit Jirachi which will hopefully be enough to kill it when my spikes damage is taken into account.

Start of turn 35
panamaxis called Shaymin-S back!
panamaxis sent out Tyranitar!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Tyranitar!

Jirachi used Ice Punch!
The foe's Tyranitar lost 17% of its health!

The foe's Tyranitar restored a little HP using its Leftovers! To be removed

Yeah, remember that brilliant Double-Switch plan I mentioned? I kinda chickened out at the last second . . . All's well that ends well though. I would have gotten screwed had I brough TTar in this turn anyway. I'll just switch my Jirachi back out and save it for later . . .

Run all you want jirachi. Run all you want

Start of turn 36
Jirachi is being sent back!
The foe's Tyranitar used Pursuit!
A critical hit!

Jirachi lost 201 HP! (58% of its health)
Jirachi fainted!

Chou Toshio: 5 Panamaxis: 5

Nuooo!!!!!!!!!

I apologise here for the crit but in hindsight Tyranitar does 54.7% - 61% with the spikes damage included so I had a legitimate shot at taking jirachi out for good anyway.

Panamaxis, you bastard, how could you do that to a poor (adorable) little Jirachi who wasn't even gonna hurt you!! T^T

Hax rears its face here, but honestly with all the DEF drops I got earlier I can't complain (and neither will you viewers!). Jirachi hits the scrap pile, but it's ok. Shaymin is now in range for Garchomp to take it out with Claw, especially after it takes more SR damage. I'm cool with it. Gliscor seems the right answer here.

So, I'm going to admit here that I didn't read the log where it said he used leftovers. I kind of got stuck thinking he was choiced since he user pursuit. Yeah, kiddies this shows why you read the log. Either way though, I think I made the right move here using Acrobat. A Physical TTar can't really do much to Gliscor, and Panamaxis has been playing so conservatively, I have to go with Acrobat to hit the possible skymin switch.

Gliscor comes back into face Tyranitar. At this point I see how I can potentially win this but it will take sacrificing something to Gliscor. Getting up Stealth Rocks can only help my endgame plan so my next move is a fairly easy one.

Start of turn 37
Gliscor used Acrobat!
The foe's Tyranitar lost 14% of its health!

The foe's Tyranitar used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Chou Toshio's team!

So my over-prediction comes to bite me in the ass. And I had been managing without SR all the way until now too . . . bleh. Let's play chicken here Panamaxis-- I doubt you'll keep your TTar in another turn. One more Acrobat for the road!

Chou can’t afford to let my Skymin come in for free so he uses acrobat. I figure I’ll Sacrifice Xatu so I can get a free switch-in to Skymin on Gliscor. Unless Garchomp is scarfed (but even then it only has one more switch-in with spikes) Gliscor is the only thing on his team that can stand up to Skymin so he won’t be able to let it get a substitute and will have to attack. The most likely outcome for me is either Skymin itself sweeps or it weakens Gliscor enough that Dory can sweep.

Start of turn 38
panamaxis called Tyranitar back!
panamaxis sent out Xatu!

Gliscor used Acrobat!
A critical hit!
The foe's Xatu lost 50% of its health!
The foe's Xatu fainted!

Chou Toshio: 5 Panamaxis: 4

Nice!!

panamaxis sent out Shaymin-S!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Shaymin-S!

Fuck. I don't want to sac one of my other pokemon, and I can't really afford to let Shaymin get up a substitute. I opt to stay in and aim to take it out.

I’m not confident that Seed Flare itself will do enough to Gliscor for Dory to sweep at +2 so I’ll go for the Air Slash first.

Start of turn 39
The foe's Shaymin-S used Air Slash!
Gliscor lost 153 HP! (43% of its health)

Gliscor flinched!

That was not fun. I will have to take the risk of him substituting and use protect to heal some.

Okay cool, had Gliscor not flinched there the game would’ve definitely shifted in Chou’s favour so I’m glad it did! As long as Seed Flare hits next turn it will either KO Gliscor or weaken it to the point that Dory can sweep (I hope).

Start of turn 40
Gliscor used Protect!
Gliscor protected itself!

The foe's Shaymin-S used Seed Flare!
The attack of the foe's Shaymin-S missed!

He doesn't sub, and my Gliscor is back in the game.

Good move by Chou here, but I couldn’t risk substituting in case he attacked as then Gliscor would be left on too much health for Dory to sweep. In any case, as long as Seed Flare hits I think I’ll be alright.

Start of turn 41
The foe's Shaymin-S used Seed Flare!
Gliscor lost 264 HP! (74% of its health)
Gliscor's Sp. Def. sharply fell!

Gliscor used Acrobat!
It's super effective!
The foe's Shaymin-S lost 37% of its health!
The foe's Shaymin-S fainted!

Chou Toshio: 5 Panamaxis: 3

Gliscor shoots, he scores! Things are looking great as I take down yet another huge threat for my team. As I thought, when fighting stall, all it takes is the first kill, and then your offensive team can start to move things ahead.

Okay it survived. I was hoping it wouldn’t but I’m pretty sure Dory has this in the bag anyway. I need to Swords Dance here so I can OHKO Rotom and Breloom.

panamaxis sent out Doryuuzu!
The foe's Doryuuzu is floating on a balloon!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Doryuuzu!

Um . . . ok, what I just said applies to stall, but I totally forgot that Panamaxis' team is not stall, but semi-stall. This is when I'm smashing my forehead to the table. I totally blew the game with the last few turns, letting gliscor get weakened. Gliscor is way to weak to take on Dory now, and the rest of my team is not only slower, but outsped and 1 HKO'd by a +2 Doryuuzu.

Good game man :(

Start of turn 42
The foe's Doryuuzu used Swords Dance!
The foe's Doryuuzu's Attack sharply rose!

Gliscor used Acrobat!
The foe's Doryuuzu lost 26% of its health!
The foe's Doryuuzu's Balloon popped!

I’m pretty sure a +2 Return OHKOs from here.

Start of turn 43
The foe's Doryuuzu used Return!
Gliscor lost 157 HP! (32% of its health)
Gliscor fainted!

Chou Toshio: 4 Panamaxis: 3

Which it does! The only thing that can really stop Dory now is some untimely Sand Veil hax, so I’m hoping that doesn’t happen...

Start of turn 44
Rotom-W lost 222 HP! (87% of its health)
Rotom-W fainted!

Chou Toshio: 3 Panamaxis: 3

How Strong??

Start of turn 45
Breloom lost 153 HP! (58% of its health)
Breloom fainted!

Chou Toshio: 2 Panamaxis: 3

Too Strong.

Start of turn 46
Garchomp lost 33 HP! (9% of its health)
Garchomp fainted!

Chou Toshio: 1 Panamaxis: 3

Sand Veil doesn’t kick in which results in a win for me. Thanks for a good battle Chou Toshio!

Pointed stones dug into Tyranitar!
Tyranitar fainted!

Chou Toshio: 0 Panamaxis: 3

panamaxis won the battle!
panamaxis: gg

Chou Toshio: Thanks for the game.

Props:

Overall, I cannot say I played the most brilliant battle in the history of pokemon (in fact, I know I and this team have improved greatly since that battle), and I think panamaxis showed me here I still have a lot to learn. Though, I knew that. :P I am though proud of the performance I did put on this battle, and think I gave pany at least a run for his money. I learned a lot from this battle, and made some great improvements to my team following it.

And yet, this loss was still extremely disappointing and basically floored me. マジ悔しい ...to the point I can't even express it in English.

So yeah, I'd just like to thank Panamaxis for an awesome battle, and for participating in this warstory. It was a long write (even with no turn-by-turn sprites, no percetages-- fuck you brats I'm still rockin' it early DP traditional format style), and I hope the readers enjoyed it.

I'll just leave on that note. I need to go lie down . . .

Props:
Xatu for showing breloom who’s boss.
Doryuuzu for cleaning up.
Salamence for keep tyranitar at bay.
Skymin for weakening Gliscor enough to enable the sweep.

Slops:
I didn’t manage to keep hazards off the field even though I had Xatu.

Incredible warstory :D.The battle itself was great and both of you played very well.There were some rather err "silly" moves but not anything far too notable at all.Both of you explained your through process very well and i think this is like the first double commentated warstory of 5th gen.I liked it much better then your previous warstory as well (Sorry i hated that one :S)..
9.5/10 and you sir get a luvdisc :].

Oh and i also hate Panna's (BAN ME PLEASE) Xatu..Walls the hell out of me as well ;_;...

Yep, Xatu is realy annoying!!!!! >:-(

Anyway i loved the story, one of the best i've read lately!
9.5/10 (Also a sexydisc 4 you!)

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Great story, Chou! I almost forgot a decent warstory could be written, with all the bad ones floating around here lately.
Both of you played really well (despite a few mistakes here and there), and it was a really enjoyable double-read.
I'll also go with 9.5/10 :)

didnt read it yet as no mention of current health makes it impossible to follow, especially when you also cut out residual damage and healing etc.

wow...what can you say about this warstory...absolutely interesting and amazing...furthermore the ''double commentary'' is making it so much easier to follow and read...9/10

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Funnily me and pana have 5/6 the same team independently lol, although he did give me his Mence set. Anyway great warstory guys, don't really expect anything less from you though lol.

I was kinda surprised Chou didn't have a poke with a priority move to stop Dory for example. He relied on Pokemon without reliable recovery moves to counter one of the most potent threat in the metagame. Kinda surprising.

Great playing on both sides, double commentaries are always the best. The only thing that could have been better was if there where sprites and percentages included, and maybe a different end than a Doryuuzu-sweep, yet that was deserved. 9/10

Minor nitpick, in turn 39, Chou's commentary is noted in blue instead of green, might want to edit that to make it clearer.

Wow, so Magic Mirror works EVERY turn? Didn't know that (hadn't played 5th gen yet). Also, defensive Salamence did a pretty impressive job in this battle! Might I ask you to post your set?

The battle itself was great. To be honest I was excepting Garchomp to SandTroll Doryuuzu at the end (/has REALLY bad memories from early/mid DP...), but thankfully it didn't happened lol. <3disc'd. :D

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wow, great job guys, I always expect something nice from Chou. When browsing through UT I saw all the warstories and then saw you authored this one so I knew it wouldn't be crap like all the other warstories out there. Great formatting and battle, and it was nice to see a defensive Salamence do so well. 10/10 imo :)

Um, honestly, I found this a pretty poor warstory. Both players explained their thought process in the commentary well, and there were some interesting sets here, but the battle was really haxy, and ended with Doryuuzu taking out four Pokemon, which isn't really exciting to read. I normally really enjoy your warstories, but you had like five turns of "don't ask me what i did here" and "hey don't pay attention to my mistakes カラオケタイム!" which is not what I expected.

It is better than most of the stuff floating around though, so props for that.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Quite possibly the best warstory in the entire forum...

The comments were fantastic(funny too) the battle was great and both players played extremely well.
Both of your teams were interesting too.

9.5/10 Top notch warstory.
Nothing more needs to be said.

Um, honestly, I found this a pretty poor warstory. Both players explained their thought process in the commentary well, and there were some interesting sets here, but the battle was really haxy, and ended with Doryuuzu taking out four Pokemon, which isn't really exciting to read. I normally really enjoy your warstories, but you had like five turns of "don't ask me what i did here" and "hey don't pay attention to my mistakes カラオケタイム!" which is not what I expected.

It is better than most of the stuff floating around though, so props for that.

This.

The 5 turns where you said "I don't know what I was doing" really brought this war story down for me. And dory sweeping 4 was just... eh... not exciting. Also you being like, "I wasn't paying attention and forgot this was semi stall... oops." It just.... blah.

That said, I did enjoy it enough. Fun read. And reading warstories with both sides is awesome.

6.5/10

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Wow, that was a good read! Hax is part of almost every game, and battlers just have to deal with it and move on. Great job with the double commentary, and thanks for the (mostly) great battle! 8.75/10

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Haha nice warstory guys, know from experience both teams are gay as hell to face! Gets a luvdisc from me.

I'm really surpreised how people here have different criteria according to the guy that posts the warstory!

Many noobs came here and posted warstories without pictures, percentages and full of hax and they get SWORN TO HELL by all you guys.

This warstory is full of hax, has no pictures or percentages but you guys come and start saying it is the best warstory posted.

Come on, gimme a break!

I'm really surpreised how people here have different criteria according to the guy that posts the warstory!

Many noobs came here and posted warstories without pictures, percentages and full of hax and they get SWORN TO HELL by all you guys.

This warstory is full of hax, has no pictures or percentages but you guys come and start saying it is the best warstory posted.

Come on, gimme a break!

Yes I was thouroughly surprised too. I get so annoyed at bad war stories that people post here and I saw everyone rating this one high and I was like... what?

I only really give it props for giving both sides of thought process.

Come on, gimme a break!
Yes I was thouroughly surprised too. I get so annoyed at bad war stories that people post here and I saw everyone rating this one high and I was like... what?

I only really give it props for giving both sides of thought process.
Tbh I really do agree with both of you guys. Admittedly this warstory wasn't atrocious like some that've been posted, but the battle wasn't that great at all - anticlimatic Dory sweep, misclicks, hax, forgetting half the opponent's team, 5 turns of misplay with Breloom, etc. There was no incredibly well-planned or unusual endgame from either side, which is one of the things that makes a truly amazing warstory, either. Lack of sprites and percentages made it somewhat hard to keep up with too.

The dual commentary was as always what makes the warstory very interesting, but with so many one line or shorter comments I felt somewhat let down especially after seeing the number of Luvdiscs on the post. Salamence's set was pretty epic and the highlight for me tbh. Genuinely surprised by the responses here though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)