Battle Mechanics Research

Does Electric Terrain give any sort of special defense boost? I ask that because my Charizard Y failed a OHKO against a DrySkin Heliolisk under the sun with Flame Burst. Has anyone noticed something?

Last edited:
Not sure if it's already known (or if it's too obvious to note, or if it isn't really relevant), but Taunt stops Geomancy if used while it's charging.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was affected by an opponent's roar while I was a much higher level (I think I was pretty light though)

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Multi-hit moves like Comet Punch & Double Hit do not gain an extra hit with Parental Bond.

Stance Change seems to be unaffected by Entrainment. Skill Swap and Worry Seed likely fail as well.

Quick question on two abilities:

Bulletproof:
-What attacks does Bulletproof protect against? The name and description implies the five Bomb moves (Egg Bomb, Magnet Bomb, Mud Bomb, Seed Bomb, and Sludge Bomb) and the "bullet" moves (Bullet Seed, Rock Blast, etc.). Are there any other attacks that can be protected by this ability?
-By how much does Bulletproof reduce damage?

Mega Launcher:
-What moves are boosted by this ability? Name and description implies the four Pulse moves (Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, Heal Pulse, and Water Pulse) and Aura Sphere.
-Does Heal Pulse heal 50% extra health? (Mega Launcher adds 50% damage to Pulse/Aura attacks).

Thanks a lot. More questions on abilities will follow, but I want to get these out there first. :]

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Bulletproof:
-What attacks does Bulletproof protect against? The name and description implies the five Bomb moves (Egg Bomb, Magnet Bomb, Mud Bomb, Seed Bomb, and Sludge Bomb) and the "bullet" moves (Bullet Seed, Rock Blast, etc.). Are there any other attacks that can be protected by this ability?
-By how much does Bulletproof reduce damage?
Raseri and I are for sure going to test this today to see what else, but all of Sludge Bomb, Focus Blast, Aura Sphere, and Shadow Ball are immunities to any Pokemon with Bulletproof. Fire Blast is also confirmed not to be an immunity (meaning maybe Focus Blast is a one-off thing, or that it's not dependent on names).

Also worth testing is Bullet Punch and I had a few others in mind to look into.

Raseri and I are for sure going to test this today to see what else, but all of Sludge Bomb, Focus Blast, Aura Sphere, and Shadow Ball are immunities to any Pokemon with Bulletproof. Fire Blast is also confirmed not to be an immunity (meaning maybe Focus Blast is a one-off thing, or that it's not dependent on names).
Wait, so the Pokemon is immune to bullet/ball/bomb attacks? Interesting, since the only Pokemon line that has it (the Chespin line) has no immunities based on type, with exception of the powder moves. Thanks for testing this. :]

Last edited:
Focus Blast (Japanese: きあいだまFighting Spirit Bullet)
Selfdestruct (Japanese: じばく Suicide Bombing)

Might also be worth testing, mud bomb and magnet bomb.

Okay I got more abilities to clarify on. It would be appreciated. ^^

Aura Break:
-How exactly does it interact with the with Fairy and Dark Aura abilities? Does it negate them completely, or reverse their boosts (so their Fairy and Dark moves are reduced in power)?

Cheek Pouch:
-How much HP is healed per berry consumption? Is it a flat number or a percentage of health?
-Does the amount healed vary from berry to berry?

Fairy Aura/Dark Aura:
-By how much does each respective Aura boost their respective types?
-Does it effect the user in addition to their teammates?

Strong Jaw:
-By how much does Strong Jaw boost damage?
-What moves are affected by this ability? The name implies "Bite", "Fang" and "Crunch" moves (Bite, Crunch, Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang). Are there any others?

Competitive:
-By how much is Special Attack is raised by this ability?
-Does it prevent stat drops?
-Is it affected by self-inflicted stat drops?
-Is it affected when fellow teammate drop this Pokemon's stats?

Grass Pelt:
-By how much does Grass Pelt boost Defense?
-Is it a temporary or permanent boost as long as Grassy Terrain is in effect?

Symbiosis:
-How exactly does this ability trigger? Is there a command the Pokemon can use to pass items to teammates?

It seems some old Pokemon have had their stats altered (I've heard Wigglytuff and Clefable are two of these Pokemon). Do you guys know anything about that?

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus

Also worth testing is Bullet Punch and I had a few others in mind to look into.
me and cbb tested it yesterday, it doesn't make you immune to bullet punch.
it does make you immune to gyro ball, though.

It seems some old Pokemon have had their stats altered (I've heard Wigglytuff and Clefable are two of these Pokemon). Do you guys know anything about that?
Got a Jigglypuff, calculated its exact IVs, evolved it, Wigglytuff's Sp.Atk is now base 85.

tennisace wanted to know how forest's curse worked vs sap sipper

sap sipper completely stopped it from working, and the mon gained +1

After using it, Pokemon-Amie seems to influence the critical-hit ratio, the accuracy and the evasiveness of a Pokemon. There are many references to that during battle when you reach the maximum happiness with a Pokemon on that feature. I can't confirm by how much it raises though.

It also has a certain influence on endurance. Every now and then, instead of being eliminated by a move that would most likely do the job, the Pokemon remains with only 1HP. So it can definitely be a difference maker in a battle. I don't know if it also happens with One-Hit KO moves though.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Stance Change activates even while the Aegislash is asleep.

Parental Bond can be lost via Entrainment.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
not a huge thing, but Quick Claw does activate before switching. the attack does't happen until after though.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Bulletproof also ignores Bullet Seed, Mud Bomb, and Electro Ball. It does not ignore Moonblast.

Last edited:
Does anybody know how Powder functions? How much damage does it do when activated, and whether wow and HP fire also activate it?

not sure if Clarified, but Aegislash will switch to blade form even if it's paralyzed, sleep, flinched (I've only tested those three, but safe to assume it's the same for confusion)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)