Battle Mechanics Research

Well, I hope it's not a fake, but I just played against a Mega Kangaskhan and my Unaware-Quagsire on PS and my Quaggy just took this:

The foe's Kangaskhan used Drain Punch!
Quagsire lost 16.5% of its health!
Quagsire had its energy drained!

Quagsire used Toxic!
The foe's Kangaskhan was badly poisoned!

Quagsire restored HP using its Leftovers!
The foe's Kangaskhan was hurt by poison!

Could it be, that Unaware ignores Mega-stat boosts? That would be AMAZING O__O

btw: Honkos dmg-calculator said that a normal Kangaskhan does

Drain Punch: 13.45 - 15.98%

against physically defensive unaware quaggy O_O
Were you playing on simulator?

EDIT: ninja'd

The Japanese have done far more through testing, it seems. I'll post reported buffed moves only that are not coded on Showdown at the moment so that there's a master list:

Sweet Scent: -1 evasion to -2 evasion
String Shot: -1 speed to -2 speed
Chatter: 100% chance to confuse if loud enough
Crabhammer: 90bp to 100bp
Hex: 50bp to 65bp (Showdown has it at 60bp which is incorrect)
Toxic: Bypasses accuracy check and will hit through disappearing moves if used by a poison-type
Dragon Rush: Double bp if opponent has used Minimize
Steamroller: Double bp and bypasses accuracy check if opponent has used Minimize
Knock Off: 1.5x bp if it knocks off an item (mega stone exception)
Stomp: Double bp and bypasses accuracy check if opponent has used Minimize
Magic Room: -7 priority to 0 priority (has this been implemented yet?)
Incinerate: 30bp to 60bp
Wonder Room: -7 priority to 0 priority

Roar/Whirlwind should have "This move does not check accuracy" in its description.

Every other buff has been implemented. Will look at the nerf list later.
Well, String Shot was -2 last gen I thought. And judging from Werster's playthrough, Chatter is 100% confusion anyway. Stomp has always done more damage after minimise too iirc.

yeah, I edited it in the last sentence. I wrote it here, so that the guys with enough freetime could check it asap HA-quagsire is released :)

Well, String Shot was -2 last gen I thought. And judging from Werster's playthrough, Chatter is 100% confusion anyway. Stomp has always done more damage after minimise too iirc.
Nope, String Shot is -2 this gen. Also, Stomp always doubled damage, but now it bypasses the accuracy check.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If Klekfi uses Fairy Lock right before being fainted, will the opponent be trapped for the next turn?
Just tried it with my Klefki. The opponent (and, in a double battle, your other Pokemon too) are still trapped despite Klefki fainting after using Fairy Lock.

edit: Roar and other phazing moves are able to "untrap" a target. I need to test the ones that do damage though, which I'll edit again soon.

edit: Ghost-types are immune to Fairy Lock. Was able to switch my Aegislash out.

edit: Circle Throw and other moves that do damage and phaze still phaze Pokemon out of Fairy Lock.

Last edited:
Did a normal gem and refrigerate experiment. My Amaura used take down and the normal gem was not used/consumed.

So normal gems won't work on normal moves that have changed types due to an ability. Will have to test to see if changing a move to electricity with electrify will also block gem usage.

No idea if using an ice gem will boost a normal move using refrigerate, since I don't know how to get one (if I can get one...).

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
MegaGardevoir's Sp. Attack: 177
MegaBlastoise's Sp. Defense: 139

Hidden Power (Ghost 60) prediction: 29-35 damage
Damage dealt: 31, 33, 35

Expected, but Pixilate doesn't boost Hidden Power.

Video proof: 456W-WWWW-WWW2-XZFJ

It also doesn't change Hidden Power's type to Fairy.

Video proof: FAJG-WWWW-WWW2-XP9P

I asked in the battle mechanics topic in the forum on Serebii's website the following:

Alright, there's something that somebody needs to test. I'd test it myself, but I don't have the game yet.

http://serebii.net/games/typechange.shtml

According to Serebii, with the moves Forest's Curse and Trick-or-Treat, it adds a third type onto a Pokemon. This raises many questions:

1. If the Pokemon is already triple typed (say, with using Forest's Curse on it the previous turn), does the Pokemon become quad typed if you use Trick-or-Treat on it?

2. If it does NOT become quad typed, does Trick-or-Treat rewrite one of the types, or does it fail to work?

3. If it rewrites a type, does it rewrite the original first type of the Pokemon, or does it rewrite the latest added type?

4. If a Pokemon is a single type and has the Grass type added onto it via Forest's Curse, can it also have the Ghost type added via Trick-or-Treat as a third type, or does it fail since Forest's Curse was already used?

5. When using the move Reflect Type, does it become the original two types of the Pokemon, or can it copy the added type put on by Forest's Curse and/or Trick-or-Treat, essentially become triple or quad typed?

I think these questions need to be addressed and clarified in the section to prevent confusion.
Trainer Yusuf stated that the moves overwrite one another. However, I was suggested by him to get some extra clarification in this thread, so here are my new set of questions:

1. If I use Trick-or-Treat after Forest's Curse, does it overwrite the Grass type that was added by Forest's Curse or the first type (on the left side if it's dual-typed) of the Pokemon?

2. If a Pokemon is a single type and has the Grass type added onto it via Forest's Curse, can it also have the Ghost type added via Trick-or-Treat as a third type, does it fail since Forest's Curse was already used, or does it overwrite the type added on by Forest's Curse?

3. When using the move Reflect Type, does it become the original two types of the Pokemon, or can it copy the added type put on by Forest's Curse and/or Trick-or-Treat, essentially becoming triple typed?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Nature Power changes to Tri Attack on Wi-Fi and is boosted/changed to Ice by Refrigerate.

Weakness Policy does not activate if the Pokémon is behind a sub.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Not sure if anyone noted this yet, but Ion Deluge has +1 priority, and Refrigerate takes precedence over its effect (Normal moves still become Ice moves).

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The Japanese wiki posted mentions that Fairy Aura boosts by 4/3s. Usually it's only a 30% boost so I decided to give a test to confirm.

Lv 50 Xerneas: 166 SpA, using Moonblast
Lv 78 Sawk: 159 SpD

Expected Damage range for 1.3x: 146-174
Expected Damage range for 4/3x: 150-176

Basically I went into battle and kept hitting Sawk until I either got a 176 to confirm 4/3s, or a 146 to confirm 1.3x.

Conclusion: Xerneas eventually delt 176 damage, Fairy Aura boosts Fairy attacks by 4/3s.

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Follow Me is now +2 Priority

126 Speed ExtremeSpeed goes before 54 Speed Follow Me: T38G-WWWW-WWW2-WXEE
32 Speed Fake Out goes before 54 Speed Follow Me: HSXW-WWWW-WWW2-2H9C

ty Mizuhime and Lasagne21 for helping me test

- EDIT - That's what I get for doing things at 3 AM, it's +2 priority, not -2.

Last edited:

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
I want to go back to me and Wyverii testing Prankster Protect vs Helping Hand

We've already noted that this test could prove nothing as Helping Hand could've gone down in the priority tier. BUT, Wyverii can confirm with me that Helping Hand did go before Protect when the user was faster (regardless of Prankster, we'll have to retest other moves once we can figure out the actual order, our findings were based on the speed tiers of last gen).

So the real question is edit: what's going on?_? Jibaku and us know that Protect goes before Fake Out/Extreme Speed (we can retest to confirm though). so we have a vicious triangle of testing that shows ExSpeed/Fake out > Helping Hand >= Protect > ExSpeed/Fake out?
If Protect still goes before Fake Out, and a slow Fake Out still goes before a fast Extreme Speed (I just tested), then Follow Me is the only one that changed from +3 to +2 based on V4's testing.

Based on your Prankster Protect and non-Prankster Helping Hand test, Helping Hand is still exactly one priority level above Protect, which means it must out-prioritize both Extreme Speed and Fake Out. Not sure where the triangle comes in.

Edit: Not surprising, but Rage Powder is also +2 priority now.

Last edited:
I couldn't find this being confirmed as a normal mechanic in any previous generations, but I read on a sign that using Trick Room while it is already in effect cancels out the effect altogether.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This has been the case for DPP and BW2, so I am not surprised if Trick Room works the same in XY, too

Anyone know if Retaliate got changed this generation? I feel like GF just MAY have buffed it to maybe always deal max damage instead of the max damage only working for one turn. Like how belch is always at max power after its criteria is met. This is just a gut feeling due to how they hid the TM for it all the way in the Battle Maison for a rather expensive price, and I'm sure everyone ignored the TM and instead got the EV training items, Life orbs, and etc. And I doubt anyone's Aegislash had the move for long enough to be able to tell.

On the flipside... I highly doubt it got changed though since the description specifically states "if an ally fainted the previous turn" but you never know...As of now it's like a one turn Facade with like 2 PP so you'd think they'd try and make it better.

Last edited:

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know it's been posted that Entrainment doesn't work against Aegislash, but I can confirm that Simple Beam doesn't work on it either, considering I just had a team of Audino trying to spam Simple Beam at it in game and it always failed.

I know it's been posted that Entrainment doesn't work against Aegislash, but I can confirm that Simple Beam doesn't work on it either, considering I just had a team of Audino trying to spam Simple Beam at it in game and it always failed.
I'm assuming that by extension, Mummy will also not affect it

I'm not sure aerilate was tested before, but it does indeed give a ~30% boost to normal type moves. I tested this during a Battle chateau doubles match.

mega-pinsir lv 27 has 102 Atk
Haxorus, lv50 has 138 hp/102 def.

with STAB, Strength vs Haxorus should do 37-45 damage vs -1 defense haxorus(enemy used leer)
However strength did 52 damage.

For reference, if you add Life Orb boost to above, damage range changes to: 48-58

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)