Battle Subway

I'm breeding for a Doubles team, can anyone tell me if this can work? (EVs assume 31 IVs in the respective stats)

Whimsicott @ Mental Herb
Prankster - Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP/40 Def/180 SpD/36 Spe
- Tailwind
- U-turn
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Hydreigon @ White Herb
Levitate - Modest Nature
EVs: 76 HP/252 SpA/180 Spe
- Protect
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor

Chandelure @ Grass Jewel
Flash Fire - Modest Nature
EVs: 124 HP/252 SpA/132 Spe
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Protect
- Energy Ball

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Sand Rush - Adamant Nature
EVs: 184 HP/252 Atk/72 Spe
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Claw
- X-Scissor

Basically the team revolves around the use of Tailwind. First turn, Whimsicott uses Tailwind while Hydreigon uses Protect (if he's slower than the opponents) or attacks (if he's already faster). Second turn, Hydreigon attacks while Whimsicott U-turns to Chandelure (which resists Fire, Ice, Bug and may even grab a Flash Fire boost). By the time Tailwind wears off, I should already have Whimsicott on the field again and I'll renew it again, with Hydreigon or Chandelure protecting or attacking, like said above.

The Speed EVs give Whimsicott and Hydreigon 141 Speed (enough to beat Adamant Sand Rush Excadrill after a Tailwind) and 118 and 117 Speed to Chandelure and Excadrill respectively (enough to beat Jolly Ninjask after a Tailwind) - if there are any notable Choice Scarf Pokémon I cannot outspeed, let me know.
The remaining EVs go to maximize offense (for the sweepers) or defenses (for Whimsicott), with any leftover EVs on the sweepers bumped into HP.

The movesets/items are fairly straightforward. Whimsicott get Tailwind/U-turn for the strategy described above, Helping Hand for powering up the sweeper's attacks, and Protect for double Protecting and because there's hardly anything else worth going into this slot (maybe Taunt, I don't know). Mental Herb grant the set up will work no matter what and gives me a failsafe against 1st turn Encore.
Hydreigon gets Dragon Pulse and Flamethrower for almost perfect coverage (barring Heatran), Protect for the 1st turn and Draco Meteor for when I need to land a crucial OHKO or when I'm going down anyway. White Herb gives me an extra use of Draco Meteor to work with.
Chandelure needs probably some more explaination. Shadow Ball and Flamethrower are standard STABs. Energy Ball instead, when backed up by Grass Jewel, allow me to obliterate any Water/Ground/Rock Pokémon attempting to maim my ghost. Protect if I ever need to use Earthquake with Excadrill without killing Chandelure (although I gave 1 more speed to Chandelure if I ever need to go on all out offense and attack with Earthquake without protecting).
Excadrill gets Earthquake and Rock Slide as standard fare. They combo well together, they hit both opponents, and hit fairly hard when launched from an effective 269 Attack stat (factoring in Life Orb). Shadow Claw is for Levitating Ghosts and Psychics, while X-Scissor is for Grass mons.

That's it. Any suggestions?

Looks pretty good, you might want to put swords dance on excadrill instead of either shadow claw or x scissor, after one SD excadrill can destroy a lot of things.

I don't know what teams the subway uses, so this is just theory, but...
You might have a problem with Trick Room teams. A Fake Out/Anger Spore user can stop/deflect Hydreigon's attack, letting a Trick Room user team mate set up (potentially with Mental Herb to stop Taunt). You then face five turns of your entire team being slower than theirs, which could be crippling; especially stuff like Spore Amoongus, which can put one of your Pokémon to sleep a turn.

EDIT: I just noticed Whimsicott learns Helping Hand. Switched Stun Spore with it

EDIT2: Showsni, thanks for the input, but I'm pretty sure Helping Hand + Draco Meteor/Flamethrower kills any Trick Room in existence. If ever needed, I'll switch Protect on Whimsicott with Encore to force the Trick Room setupper to restore the dimension to normality

I've been doing really well in the Battle Subway with this team:

Standard Uxie Trick Lead
@Choice Scarf
Bold - 252 HP | 252 Def
-Trick
-Thunder Wave
-Flash
-Memento

Tyranitar
@Leftovers
Adamant - 252 Atk | 252 Sp Def
-Substitute
-Dragon Dance
-Crunch
-Brick Break

Sigilyph
@Life Orb/Leftovers
Timid - 252 HP | 252 Spe
-Substitute
-Cosmic Power
-Stored Power
-Roost/Magic Eye

Even though the AI switches more often in B/W, I still find the classic Uxie lead to be helpful. I have yet to see the AI switch more than once and the incoming pokemon still receives a nice Thunder Wave as soon as it switches in.

Tyranitar is specially defensive with full Atk investment. He usually puts up a sub and Dragon Dances up to +6 Atk/Spe. Crunch and Brick Break have nice synergy.

Finally, my new favorite is Sigilyph, who serves as both a tank and a sweeper. Magic Guard is amazing. No life orb recoil, no sandstream damage from Tyranitar, or status inflictions from enemies. He resists Tyranitar's crippling weakness - Fighting - but is unable to hit Dark types...unless I run Magic Eye.

Here's my question: Should I run Magic Eye on Sigilyph instead of Roost? If so, then he will definitely need Tyranitar's leftovers for HP recovery. What item should Tyranitar hold?

I'd assume something that would take out flying resistors...

Sawk@Black Belt
252Atk/252Spe/4Whatever
Jolly&Sturdy
Moves:
Close Combat
Stone Edge
Earthquake
filler

Take out Steels/Rocks that resist Archeop's terrifying acrobatics. Would use Choice Band, but fear of switching out. LO Can't be used, for sturdy'd be worthless.

now for something to wrap it all up, a late game sweeper special based...

Starmie @ Life Orb
252Sp.A/252Spe/4Def
Timid/Natural Cure
Moves:
Surf
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Psychic

Just to kill anything that survives the prior enslaught.

Just my thoughts.
Should Sawk's last move be Counter, Reversal, or Retaliate?

You need Battle Points to get the items necessary to make a Double Battle team in the Subway

You need items to make a Double Battle Team that is good enough to get many Battle points.

You need Battle Points to get the items necessary to make a Double Battle team in the Subway

You need items to make a Double Battle Team that is good enough to get many Battle points.
Ugh. Such a pain. I'm using my Starmie, Metagross, and Gengar from Platinum to grind super single. I just need two more ev items.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

Play on singles for awhile until you have the battle points.

I know, and I will try it, but I don't want to import my Gen IV singles team that I may still need in Gen IV, and my ingame team probably isn't going to cut it in the Subway.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
At least for the Singles Subway (not Super Singles), my team of Gen 4 Pokemon cleaned house. I didn't have any points for BP items so I just used whatever I found in-game, item wise.

Lead
Raikou @ Expert Belt
Pressure - Rash
4HP / 252SpA / 252Spe
-Thunder
-Aura Sphere
-Hidden Power Ice
-Weather Ball

Raikou swept about 70% of teams that I encountered in the lead position. The low accuracy for Thunder is a bit annoying, but when it hits it's almost always a OHKO. Otherwise Aura Sphere was my go-to move of choice.

Garchomp @ Bright Powder
Sand Veil - Jolly
4HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Outrage
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Swords Dance

Standard Swords Dance Garchomp. Nothing else needs to be said. Anything Raikou couldn't handle, Garchomp handled with ease.

Scizor @ Rough Helmet
Technician - Adamant
4HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite
-Swords Dance
-Brick Break

Truthfully, I barely needed Scizor, as Raikou and Garchomp were more than a match for whatever I encountered. I basically only switched Scizor in for the odd Garbador so I wouldn't have to deal with Toxic or Poison attacks.

I tried this team in the Super Subway, and sadly it didn't fare too well. A Wailord using Water Spout and Quick Claw swept >.<

I know, and I will try it, but I don't want to import my Gen IV singles team that I may still need in Gen IV, and my ingame team probably isn't going to cut it in the Subway.

I'm using my garbage stats/nature in-game team of Excadrill/Sygilyph/Emboar/Galvantula and its good enough to beat the first two sets of 7 trainers in the double battle subway. I get raped when their pokemon become fully-evolved of course.

The grind takes a while, but I just air cutter+earthquake first turn with drill+lyph and thats good enough to beat the first 14 trainers (watch out for aqua jet users). Don't bother trying to beat anyone past the first 14 trainers with an in-game team that isn't raised with proper ev's and iv's, its nigh impossible, lol. (I got swept by a quick claw drilbur once)

Well, right now I saved inside the Route 7 house and am soft-reseting for a good Thundurus, so I have to put the Subway away for a couple days at least. When I get out of it I'll try my ingame team. Thanks for the info.

No, I mean the Wi-Fi Battle Tower where you could face the AI controlled teams of other players from around the world. It was in DPPHGSS but I've heard no mention of it this gen.
A friend and I tried it, and from what we could tell.. you can't do the Wi-Fi Battle Tower-like thing in the subway as the Light Blue train only lets you go one on one versus other random people over Wi-Fi.

Sort of peeved me off because a friend and I, who live far apart, always did this late at night and it's how I got the bulk of my BP. :/

the Light Blue train only lets you go one on one versus other random people over Wi-Fi.
I think that's what he means. The wi-fi subway has the rank feature in it too, so while I haven't tried it yet I can't imagine it's any different from the Wifi tower. You go over wifi to download data, you download a leaderboard... aren't these things in the wifi subway?

I think that's what he means. The wi-fi subway has the rank feature in it too, so while I haven't tried it yet I can't imagine it's any different from the Wifi tower. You go over wifi to download data, you download a leaderboard... aren't these things in the wifi subway?
I believe so, yes, but I thought he was referring to the option in the room where you can go with your friends from the Pal Pad to team up and do the Battle Tower that way, and still earn decent BP. D: The way a lot of websites have it worded, it's very misleading.

Does anyone know of any scarfed pokemon, especially Dragons, that would would able to outspeed a Swift Swimmer in rain who has the level 50 equivalent of 396 Speed? I want to know how to EV a certain Kingdra, or if I even need to EV its speed at all.

Hello. I hope this is the right place to ask this:

I have read in many places that there is an "IV Checker" in the Gear Station of the Battle Subway. I see four trainers, and none of them speak to my Pokemons' IVs. Is it Post Elite 4 or what? I am trying to get good pokemon early for a fun playthrough.

Thank you in advance. I have been looking for hours online and this question has not been answered.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I just tried a random TrickScarf team of Whimsicott, Sigilyph and Cobalion in normal singles.

Guess what?

I got swept by a LITWICK. A Litwick that never missed with Inferno(50 acc).

Jeez.

Hello. I hope this is the right place to ask this:

I have read in many places that there is an "IV Checker" in the Gear Station of the Battle Subway. I see four trainers, and none of them speak to my Pokemons' IVs. Is it Post Elite 4 or what? I am trying to get good pokemon early for a fun playthrough.

Thank you in advance. I have been looking for hours online and this question has not been answered.
Like the Emerald checker, he doesn't speak of 'IVs'. He says something about your pokemon's overall potential, then gives its best stat: what he says about that stat indicates roughly or exactly what number it is.

However, he does also give you all stats with an equal IV. So if you are certain you have at least one IV of 31, you'll know which other stats are perfect.

For instance, he told me my zorua was perfect in it's HP, additionally it's special attack and speed were equal in that regard. He told me my zorua had 31 in hp, sp. att and speed, which of course made me pretty happy :)

Speaking of zorua, I'm planning to use it in the battle underground, however I've been wondering... How does the cheating AI treat the illusion?
Ideally, the AI could not know I'm using one, and as they tend to use SE moves as much as possible, disguising my Zoruark as a fighting type or ghost type should allow it to easily take the first hit while plotting and then continue to wreak some havoc.
However, if the AI immediately knows it's an illusion, it would use a fighting type move against the illusion of a ghost, and kill it of the bat.

I'm wondering how this works actually, I'll know soon enough I guess, but does anyone have experience with Illusion in the battle underground?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)