Battle Tree Discussion and Records

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
After a few months of frustration, I finally have obtained my Doubles stamp, using Doobzi's Doubles stamp run team. The team is pretty much the same, except for the Arcanine:

UnTigre (Arcanine) (M) (Lvl.50) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
IVs: 31/31/31/11-12/31/31
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Crunch

The only member of the team who I didn't receive via giveaway (thx to das_eisenherz & PSlana for the Tapus & A-Racihu), this guy was basically designed to be something that could be converted over to be my own Arcanine4 at any time (hence the far more straightforward EV spread). Thunder Fang was changed to Crunch in order to widen coverage slightly, and give me something that can kinda handle most TR setters. I don't miss the lack of Adamant, since this thing is principally a revenge killer and secondarily a cleanup hitter (main cleanup duty is designated to Tapu Bulu). Also, I'm obsessed with fitting Sitrus into my teams, and what amounted to a free invitation to do so was much appreciated.

I found the team very fun to use, as this is the third version of this team (prior to Bank, I had failed runs with Garchomp & Magnezone in Arcanine's slot) and actually having success with it was cool. I also am indebted to the Tree itself, as so far Lightningrod users have been restricted mostly to the earlier battles, TR setters have either been frail enough to take out with double Thunderbolt or been Electric-weak, and other enemies that can cause me problems (most of the Alohamons, as I am not familiar with them yet, Steel- and Ground-types, Ice-type backups) have been limited in appearance.

While getting my stamp here means that I can begin to focus on bigger Tree projects and bring this team to Basic Doubles (a cobbled-together team of Crobat/Ash-Greninja/Silvally-Fire/Garchomp got me through that) for a short fun run, I now have a bare-bones streak I can gradually nuture and work on in the future. It also frees me from having to tackle Super Singles any time soon (Mutlis is still interesting enough that I may jump on that later on). For now though, I can celebrate this 'small' boost to my confidence and get back to...other things.

Thx to Doobzi for continuing to pump out cool facilities material and indirectly giving me the means to break through 50.

EDIT: To show how much attention I'm paying to SM...it turns out my Arcanine actually IS Adamant, and I had somehow forgotten from the time I Transferred it over until I looked at it about half an hour ago. Apologies for the error. On the plus side, now I can make my own Frontier Arcanine4...
This streak ended at 51 wins, after Preschooler Victor used Landorus3 and some friends to take me out: 8PRW-WWWW-WWW5-5DQA

So, I pulled an old set of friends for my next run:

EXPERTOS

UnEspanto (Dusclops) (Lvl.53) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
IVs: 31/31/31/0/31/0
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
- Trick Room
- Brick Break
- Night Shade
- Foresight

UnaPiedra (Aron) (Lvl. 1) (F) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: N/A
IVs: 31/31/31/0/xx/0
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spe)
- Rain Dance
- Toxic
- Protect
- Endeavor

EliteBell (Bronzong) (Lvl.50) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Heatproof
Nature: Brave
IVs: 31/31/31/0/31/0
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
- Trick Room
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Explosion

TonONuggets (Taillow) (F) (Lvl.1) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: N/A
IVs: xx/31/xx/xx/xx/xx
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-Turn
- Quick Attack
- Protect
- Endeavor

Eppie's killer pair, one of TRE's best Frontier leads (I mean, it's fucking nicknamed after him), and one of Uphaze's inspirational sets, all copied & brought together for a cornucopia of AI abuse, TR madness, and ways to counteract Ghosts. I also wanted to see how much mileage I could get out of something some could regard as an 'outdated' set in the Bronzong.

My main Maison Doubles trophy run team, imported to help me out. As is usually the case with non-Aroma Veil TR teams, Taunt is a major issue. For FEAR Aron teams, Mold Breaker is an issue. Haxorus1 rolled both of those into one horrifying package to kill off the first attempt with this team: NNAG-WWWW-WWW5-5DRC

My second attempt with this team has featured no Taunter encounters, making it a much smoother path back to 50. Both of my Doubles Stamp Battles, featuring both teams:
DP4G-WWWW-WWW5-5DSY
N3JW-WWWW-WWW5-5DSP

I seem to be getting into the groove of Tree Doubles, which means I am getting closer to being properly prepared to undertake The Floatzel Plan: Phase A. If this streak keeps going this swimmingly though, that could take a while...in any case, I'm just happy to have brought the Bronzong set (one of the oldest sets to be featured on any Smogon facility leaderboards) into the modern day. For those curious as to my inspirations for the various sets being used here:
TRE's Castle Doubles Bronzong
The earliest version of Eppie's Maison Doubles Dusclops/Aron core
Uphaze's Maison Triples trophy run Taillow

Last edited:

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
If you hang out in the Tree Discord, you probably know what I've been doing, but I'm going to make a quick post about my ongoing streak of 238 wins in Super Doubles with:

@
, Relaxed, Download
EVs: 252|0|156|0|100|0 / IVs: 31|31|31|31|31|xx
Ice Beam | Return | Recover | Trick Room

(F) @
, Bold, Sturdy
Lv.1 Stats: 12|5|7|5|5|5
Endeavor | Protect | Toxic | Iron Head

(M) @
, Quiet, Pixilate
EVs: 252|0|4|252|0|0 / IVs: 31|0|31|31|31|0
Hyper Voice | Psyshock | Shadow Ball | Swift

(M) @
, Brave, Intimidate
EVs: 252|252|0|0|4|0 / IVs: 31|31|31|xx|31|0
Fake Out | High Jump Kick | Knock Off | Detect

The Aron is the same one that served me so well back in Maison Super Triples, while Sylveon and Scrafty are transfers from ORAS (Sylveon kind of had to be because it needs Tutor moves in order to even function at all, and Scrafty of course is in order to have Knock Off) which makes Porygon2 the only Pokemon I bred specifically for this streak. EV explanations are primarily Laziness™ (Scrafty is a Gen 6 VGC leftover and I really didn't feel like doing advanced EV spreads at the time, while Sylveon I got from a trade and was already EV trained), except on Porygon2 where it had to be Relaxed with 156 Defense EVs in order to guarantee survival of Sawk4's Close Combat. Sylveon has Swift and Scrafty has Fightinium Z in order to deal with Bullshit Powder Bright Powder and Double Team/Minimize, but even beyond those, Sylveon needs Swift in order to deal with Soundproof (You don't want your Fairy-type to lose to Kommo-o) and Scrafty needs Fightinium Z because High Jump Kick fucking sucks ass. Z-Detect is also an option and I have used it a few times, but I highly doubt it changed the outcome of any match.

Even though I've come this far, this team still has some major issues, namely physical Fighting-types and Mega Kangaskhan. In both cases when these lead, you must switch Aron for Scrafty. In the former case, this gets the Intimidate on them so Porygon2 can take an attack and get Trick Room up. In the latter case, you just can't have Aron facing it down because Parental Bond alone will get two hits on Aron (and if you're facing Kiawe, there may be an Arcanine/Talonflame lead to basically ensure Aron does absolutely nothing). My planned fix for this is having Hitmontop > Scrafty because, in the event of Fighting-type leads, you basically just end up sacking Scrafty, whereas Hitmontop has a pretty solid chance of surviving, but I would want Sucker Punch on Hitmontop, which requires that I go all the way back to Platinum for breeding, and I don't really wanna do that right now.

Some replays!

#44: 4PVG-WWWW-WWW5-3TGQ
#90: VQBG-WWWW-WWW5-5F8S
#156: KUFW-WWWW-WWW5-5F8L
#162: L3PG-WWWW-WWW5-5F8H
#223: WGTG-WWWW-WWW5-5F8B

Will be back with a streak loss video... Whenever this team loses, which I thought for sure would have ended up being battle #223 (watch and you'll see why). Seriously Aron, chill.

Team was

Choice Scarf Durant: iron head,Rock Slide, Entrainment, Protect

Mega Salamence : Protect, Dragon Dance, Return, Earthquake

Focus Sash Kartana: Smart strike, Leaf Blade, Night slash, Sacred Fuck You Double Team Sword.

Final mons Durant vs Talonflame

I used rockslide ....It missed and smogonbird use flareblitz GG Streak
So as someone currently trying to rack up 90 wins with a durant team, how is Kartana as a backup? I just lost on my first try at battle 55 with Cloyster/Garchomp. Nasty combo of Dragonium Z during cloyster protect and then Mega Metagross with bullet punch and a critical hit meteor mash on Garchomp, neither of which were things I really had to deal with in the maison. Now I'm wondering if I need to try something different as a safe back up.

I've two questions considering recruitment for Multi (as some things aren't clear for me) :
- If you recruit someone for 10 BP, is it just for one streak on Multi Battles or is it forever ?
- How the teams of Wally/Guzma/somebody are defined ? I read that they use the team they run the first time you met them, but is it the first time you met them or the last time before recruitment ? Or completely random things ?
Thx in advance

Been using a Trick Room Doubles team lately because I find it fun to sweep hugely speedy beast Mega Evos with stuff that has like 20-40 speed. Been maxing out these streaks at around 50-60 though and I feel like they just don't have the consistency to go for huge streaks because you have to take that first turn to set up TR. Even paired with a Fake Out Hariyama I feel it puts you further behind that just a speedy strong opening pair.

Which leads me on to the question of what do you guys think in general of status/stat-boosting moves in Doubles? I've tried using Garchomp with Swords Dance and Substitute but just never feel safe in Doubles of using them when's there's the potential to be double targeted. I imagine it's a similar reason why you don't see many Dragon Dance mons in Doubles because you're just never in a safe enough place to set up. This could even extend to a move like Roost which I tried on a my TR Drampa but again; rarely felt safe enough to use (especially in Doubles when Drampa is coming out 3rd/4th and you really have to be revenge killing at this point).

Obviously there are exceptions like Protect or Z-Conversion. Just thinking out loud really lol :)
At the moment I can only give an opinion rather than back it up with a decent streak in the tree but yes it is harder to set up in doubles and you'll never DD any poke to +6 like you can in singles. In my opinion you can give yourself 1 turn of set up with things like Matt block / follow me / fake out etc but if they're not a killing machine after that then you'd be asking too much of them. In that respect moves like nasty plot or swords dance that give +2 are the only viable ones but even with that, you would need a lot of work in the team to either always be able to set up no matter what the AI does or to have a really solid 'plan B'
I had an attempt at a super doubles streak with a mono water team. The idea stems from the battle maispn where I had an ongoing triples streak.

Since bank was released I moved all my stuff over to my moon cart so my triples run is also over. I got in to tripke figures relatively easily in triples but sadly I was halted at 39 wins in super doubles in the tree.

The team is based off of the level 1 aron strategy except I used polish instead.

Here's a summary of the team. It is flawed.

Poliwag @ focus sash
Level 1
Rain dance/protect/scald/endeavour

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Calm 252hp/252def
Trick room/night shade/water apout/recover

Clawitzer @ waterium z
Quiet 252hp/252sp.a
Water pulse/aura sphere/dark pulse /Dragon force

Lapras @ sitrus berry
Calm (can't remember Evs right now)
Ice shard/freeze dry/surf/ancient power

All but clawitzer have water absorb.

I was going to use araquanid over clawitzer but the clawitzer was ready to go and it does have excellent versatility with its move pool so it probably was the right choice.

Lapras and jellicent aren't optimised for trick room and item choices almost certainly could be better. Taunt was an issue and I was surprised how much jellicent was targeted. It wasn't every battle but it was enough. Dark pulse and rock slide flinches made some battles really difficult. Essentially if I couldn't get trick room up I was in for a tough time and that's what eventually happened.

Happy to receive any feedback on the team and obviously no proof of streak because it's a low streak
I spent most of my time in the maison trying to get jellicent to work as doubles TR setter and while i brought it over to the tree ive not made an attempt...partly because it's just not as good as some of its bulkier counter parts and I'm putting my faith in oranguru this gen! ...if you do want to persist though then I'd say use cubone level 1, it has lightning rod /endeavour and can also use perish song (I can trade u one with that em) once u get down to the last two, that way you only need to worry about a handful of poke, if you shift some evs into sdef (I think I had 112???) then it's only a couple of physical attackers that will target jellicent who u can switch out with an intimidate user like mawile or scrafty but that can be risky and probably the reason why I didn't make it work in the maison but if u can take anything from my experiences then good luck lol!
..also use mental herb > leftovers on jellicent... u can always use a strong surf user to replenish hp

Last edited:
The Ice types strike again in Super Doubles! I just lost to a team of Froslass, Glalie, Avalugg, and Vanilluxe. Vanilluxe's Ice Beam took out my Pelipper, and Avalugg Toxic and Protect stalled out Mega Sharpedo. Vanilluxe didn't have Choice Specs, since no Vanilluxes have it in the database, and I was surprised that it could hit that hard, or have so much Special defense.

Mega Sharpedo sounds good, but Water/Dark coverage can only take you so far. When I finish EV training my Kabuto in Poke Pelago, I'll replace Sharpedo with that. My team desperately needs a Rock type move, and Kabutops will hit harder than Relicanth did.

Has anyone tried a hail team in Super Doubles? Does the AI send out Ice types as often?

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Has anyone tried a hail team in Super Doubles? Does the AI send out Ice types as often?
Please go easy on the suggestions of AI counter-teaming. As noted in the OP, due to the long history of false claims, the standards for supporting such a claim are very high here.

As for actually using a hail team, the difficulties are two-fold. First, Hail-teams force you to use Ice-types, which leaves you with some big defensive weaknesses. And secondly, the benefits of Hail are generally worse than the benefits other weather types, even for a team built around it. So while you surely can find some success with a hail team, it's not typically going to be many people's first choice of weather to build around.

I've two questions considering recruitment for Multi (as some things aren't clear for me) :
- If you recruit someone for 10 BP, is it just for one streak on Multi Battles or is it forever ?
- How the teams of Wally/Guzma/somebody are defined ? I read that they use the team they run the first time you met them, but is it the first time you met them or the last time before recruitment ? Or completely random things ?
Thx in advance
To answer your first question, you can have multiple streak attempts with an AI partner after scouting them. I don't think theres a limit actually that I'm aware of.
To answer your second question, the 2 pokemon they will use is based on the team they had at the time you scouted them. But also remember if you scout Wally and you don't like his team too much, if you beat him again later in singles/doubes, you can scout him again to get a new Wally team to replace the old one.

Please go easy on the suggestions of AI counter-teaming. As noted in the OP, due to the long history of false claims, the standards for supporting such a claim are very high here.

As for actually using a hail team, the difficulties are two-fold. First, Hail-teams force you to use Ice-types, which leaves you with some big defensive weaknesses. And secondly, the benefits of Hail are generally worse than the benefits other weather types, even for a team built around it. So while you surely can find some success with a hail team, it's not typically going to be many people's first choice of weather to build around.
It seems that Aegislash or Scizor might be good additions to the rain team to replace Goodra, given the occasional Ice teams, and could hit the Rock types in Sandstorm teams effectively. Rain would also blunt the Fire attacks a bit, effectively making them neutral for Aegislash. Which is better overall? Scizor wouldn't have to King's Shield every other turn and has Bullet Punch, but doesn't have Aegislash's defenses or Wide Guard. If I go with Scizor, would Wing Attack be an option? I can't get Bug Bite on the Scyther that I currently have, and Wing Attack could help with some of the Grass types and benefits from Technician.

So as someone currently trying to rack up 90 wins with a durant team, how is Kartana as a backup? I just lost on my first try at battle 55 with Cloyster/Garchomp. Nasty combo of Dragonium Z during cloyster protect and then Mega Metagross with bullet punch and a critical hit meteor mash on Garchomp, neither of which were things I really had to deal with in the maison. Now I'm wondering if I need to try something different as a safe back up.
Sorry for late reply but kartana was there as a back up solution to deal with sash weavile other than that it performed quite well just avoid fire typea

So after being left hanging, I decided to just take a chance and replace Chansey's Toxic with Confide. And I must say...it actually seems to be working out! While it does mean I won't be able Poison Electric, Psychic, and Ground types as easily, most of them can be beaten quickly enough with Seismic Toss anyway and Confide allows me to wall Special Attackers more effectively, gives me a productive move to click against Gengar and Steel, Ghost, and Poison types in general, aids in PP stall, potentially gives Salamence even more chances to come in than with just Growl, and is more consistent than Toxic since Chansey's not a Poison types. I had 10 games since dropping Toxic and I think it'll work out for as good as my team is.

Having said that, I'd like to know. I am currently at 70 wins and would like to know if the Tree really gets any harder than this. I noticed a difficultly spike after battle 50, what with all the legendaries and Megas creeping up but I've been able to hold my own barring crits and stupid-*ss OHKO moves. Does the difficulty really ramp up after this point? Like will Battle 100 have a particularly broken special trainer like Red and his Brokenzard X and Fissure Snorlax? Thanks.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Having said that, I'd like to know. I am currently at 70 wins and would like to know if the Tree really gets any harder than this. I noticed a difficultly spike after battle 50, what with all the legendaries and Megas creeping up but I've been able to hold my own barring crits and stupid-*ss OHKO moves. Does the difficulty really ramp up after this point? Like will Battle 100 have a particularly broken special trainer like Red and his Brokenzard X and Fissure Snorlax? Thanks.
The average battle doesn't get any harder, it's just the longer you go, the greater the chance that you run into a combination of enemy Pokemon (often exacerbated by bad luck) that gives you real problems. This is even more pronounced this generation, since there are a lot more possible sets you can regularly see this time around, so more unexpected situations to cover. Most trainers don't just run set4 Pokes, etc.. The good news is that if one specific set beats you, you're less likely to see it in any given battle than a typical set4 Pokemon in the Maison. The bad news is that there's more you'll eventually have to cover. Since one loss is all it takes to end a streak, you can be cruising along with ease, and then get crushed by something you never saw coming.

As a corollary to that, there's definitely some big variance in how well you do each run. The same team, played equally well, might crash and burn at 80 wins on one run and reach 200 on another. From just a single run's worth of data, it's hard to really be sure how good a team is unless you are dealing with a truly gigantic streak. Even running quite lucky, you've gotta have a very strong team to reach four digits, for example. The more you play, the more you get a feel for "this team could really go a long way" versus "there's too many ways something could go wrong for this squad," but even for teams correctly built to minimize variance, there is a pretty broad spread of possible streak lengths.

Is everybody aware of the Pelago exploit used to rapidly gain levels for your quick grinding needs? If not, a very quick rundown:

When the 3DS rolls over from 1/31/17 to 2/1/17 at midnight, all currently running Pelago functions are immediately completed. This includes berry farming and cave exploration, but what really matters is the activities on Isle Evelup, which normally move at a crawl. Regardless of beans supplied to hasten the training, the training is simply done.

What this means is that 99 EXP sessions totaling at 27,900 EXP are applied immediately at midnight on 2/1 and can be quickly repeated until you have reached 50 or have hit any necessary milestone. Some reorganization of moves may be necessary to avoid overwriting non-TMs that you don't wish to heart scale. For most pokemon this is a jump of several levels, and at higher amounts will still be good for at least 3-5 gains depending on the species' EXP formula. Up to eighteen pokes can be rapidly leveled up in this fashion.

For someone like me who had just finished breeding and EV training over 24 pokes, this was extremely helpful as grinding is the most unenjoyable chore in this game. Now I can start messing around in the tree with more than my stock legends!

Edit: Note that using the Pelago in this fashion requires tampering with the 3DS clock and doing so renders you ineligible for time-sensitive actitivities like the lottery for a day, but this won't be of much concern to most.

Also worth noting that ordering the last meal at Sushi High Roller will let you eat with Nanu and net 8 Heart Scales a day. You can also get a total of 7 more at the other restaurants every day, but Sushi High Roller is the most time-efficient one, and I've never ever been short on Heart Scales this generation because of it.

To answer your first question, you can have multiple streak attempts with an AI partner after scouting them. I don't think theres a limit actually that I'm aware of.
To answer your second question, the 2 pokemon they will use is based on the team they had at the time you scouted them. But also remember if you scout Wally and you don't like his team too much, if you beat him again later in singles/doubes, you can scout him again to get a new Wally team to replace the old one.
Ok thanks. The key is just too wait for the right team then scout.

hey guys, was looking at building a team for the tree and had a few pokemon i wanted to use, i just want to know if they are very viable and if there are any pokemon that are must haves in the tree.

the 2 pokemon i want to use are...

Stoutland @ Life Orb
Level: 50
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Psychic Fangs

and

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpA / 216 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Stockpile
- Baneful Bunker

any feedback is appreciated :)

hey guys, was looking at building a team for the tree and had a few pokemon i wanted to use, i just want to know if they are very viable and if there are any pokemon that are must haves in the tree.

the 2 pokemon i want to use are...

Stoutland @ Life Orb
Level: 50
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Psychic Fangs

and

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpA / 216 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Stockpile
- Baneful Bunker

any feedback is appreciated :)
I would replace play rough for crunch or possibly ice fang, play rough has problems with accuracy, and the only type it hits that you don't hit with superpower or psychic fangs is dragon. Crunch would hit ghosts that return can't touch, and ice fang provides more coverage and accuracy than play rough, but is rather weak.

Also, do the 40 special attack EVs on Toxapex secure any KO's? If it doesn't I would suggest moving it to bulk

Last edited:
Recover is a more useful move on Toxapex in general, and taking advantage of Regenerator (a big selling point for Toxapex as switch-stalling is effective) strips the value from Stockpile. The only major benefit to Baneful Bunker is quartering the damage from electric Z-moves, which are primarily found on Rotoms, not an uncommon enemy (so I've noticed, at least.)

Haze on the other hand will allow you to destroy setup spammers, and the sheer bulk of Toxapex means the AI will be using those moves plenty.

So, now that people have been mentioning it, I mentioned wanting to do the M-Scizor/Toxapex/Gliscor thing when bank came out way back.

So, M-Scizor has a very standard setup with Bullet Punch/Bug Bite/Roost/Swords Dance. Toxapex has similar with Recover/Haze/Scald/Toxic.

Gliscor becomes the trump card defensively, but traditional sets have always run Substitute/Protect/Earthquake/Toxic. Toxic seems completely unnecessary most of the time as Toxapex can likely handle it. So Gliscor's primary focus probably turns to PP stalling and/or leading to healthy setup for Scizor against certain targets.

So here are the move options if we take out Toxic that either weaken the enemy, have high PP and allow him to stall more effectively, or have some other generally useful utility:

U-Turn - The ability to bring Scizor in Scizor on a slow-turn while also breaking any potential sashes or sturdies seems nice.
Baton Pass - Allows for passing substitutes to whatever Pokemon you want in. Slow(ish) pass does some nice for helping Scizor get in unscathed by damage or status.
Knock Off - Cripples some attacks, but also can have some bad implications in some situations.
Swords Dance - I suppose his base attack isn't bad, so this could help him become a secondary win condition. But his only offensive typing is earth, which isn't the greatest due to an immunity.
Confide - This actually makes some sense. It has decent PP and can help Scizor and even Gliscor to some extent handle/set up on special attackers more effectively.
Others include: Sand-Attack/Harden/Screech/Taunt/Double Team, but I am not sure any of those are the best option compared to others above. I could see Sand-Attack being incredibly annoying for opponents, though.

I managed to get a streak of 119 in Super Singles Battle Tree using a team of Dragonite/Mega-Scizor/Suicune

I'm more of a casual Battle Tree player, I don't know all the sets, but I do know what to expect from certain pokemon based on past times I have fought them so I'm very proud of this streak. I had originally just wanted to get the 50 wins for a ribbon on Suicune.

The Team:

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Speed
-Earthquake
-Fire Punch
-Outrage
-Dragon Dance

I love Dragonite. Often capable of sweeping entire teams. Lum Berry lets me safely set up at least 1 Dragon Dance or breaks the confusion caused by the Outrage nuke. Dragonite hits things hard and dies.

Scizor Scizorite
Adamant 252 HP/ 252 Attack/ 4 SpD
-Bug Bite
-Bullet Punch
-Swords Dance
-Roost

Switch to him for Fairies and Ice types. Can normally safely set up to +6 attack alternating Swords Dance and Roost. I played around with X-scissor but then bank came out and I got Bug Bite and haven't looked back.

Suicune Leftovers
Bold 196 HP/252 Def/60 Spe
-Scald
-Calm Mind
-Rest
-Icy Wind

This is the same Suicune I used in Battle Maison, modeled exactly after Jumpman16's Suicune. Really a huge staller that sets up on anything Dragonite or Scizor can't. Max Defence for bulkiness since Calm Mind raised Special Defence. I can't remember why the EVs are the way they are or exactly what they are, I remember Jumpman saying they were to outspeed a certain threat, I'm sure I can redo them though, maybe max Def/HP would work better now. Icy wind is great. the 95% accuracy sucks but being able to lower speed is great. Bulky water types suck and Grass types are a pain too but that's why I have Scizor.

Love the way this team plays, they are all able to set up and sweep and matches are very quick.

The loss: MU2G-WWWW-WWW5-6ZVZ

It was against Grimsley on battle 120. As I said before I don't know all of the sets in the Battle Tree yet so I was surprised by his Mega-Houndoom. Suck he flinched my Dragonite too :(

Last edited:
Question: if you terminate more than one streak in one day, do the prizes from the second overwrite the first, or do you get all of them in due time? I'm hoping I didn't shoot myself in the foot, because the first streak that ended qualified me for everything except the berries, while the second I terminated myself right away simply because I brainfarted when I entered and hadn't taught an important move I'd meant to. There was no major loss for forfeiting, so I did. But then it occurred to me that I hadn't collected the bounty from my last streak.

Any knowledge one can share is appreciated. That ability capsule and PP Max would have done me a lot of good.

Hey guys. I was inspired by GG Unit's Smeargle post a while back and I have been trying to think up the ultimate lead mon for a Power Trip Smeargle. I figure the main thing Smeargle needs most is to act first so that he can afford to hold Leftovers or any item besides Focus Sash. I spent hours pondering on how to lower the speed of all Pokemon with 1 set but then remembered we could just raise our own speed so I thought of this:

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Timid
EVs: ?/?/?/?/ 252 Speed
Tailwind
Taunt
Memento
Moonblast/Worry Seed/Leech Seed/Safeguard/Reflect/Light Screen???

The prime objective is to ensure Smeargle comes in safely and has the chance to move naturally before his opponent. Tailwind is the key objective hear as it'll double Smeargle's speed to 546, outspeeding anything except Aerodactyl-1 barring a Moody speed drop. Taunt lets you Taunt opposing Taunters unless their Dark types. If they are Dark types, just Tailwind and Memento provided you haven't been killed. Speaking of which, Memento guarantees that you bring in Smeargle safely and 95% of time, he'll be brought into an opponent with -2 on both offensive stats which makes things a little easier on his pathetically frail Substitutes and helps with priority attacks. The last is kinda up in the air.

• Moonblast is for that whack scenario you get Taunted somehow and keeps you from being 100% invalidated by Weavile 4 and can chip Sashes and Sturdy mons.
  • Worry Seed can change the abilities of Pokemon, Overcoat, Insomina, Infiltrator, Oblivious, Infiltrator etc that can annoy you.
  • Leech Seed can augment Smeargle's recovery and ability to make Subs although the accuracy is a letdown.
  • Safeguard, Light Screen, Light Screen, and Reflect can prevent status or decrease damage further? IDK. This slot is up in the air.
  • Red Card can ruin all your hard work with Smeargle. It could be wise to make sure your teammates are KO'd if you want to bank on Smeargy alone.
As far as EVs go, having max speed is the real necessity. Whimsicott ain't a tank so I am not sure bulk is worth investment. Sp Att investment could let you OHKO weak Dark types like Weavile-1 though.

With max speed, Timid, and a Focus Sash, this ensures you can use at least 2 moves against any Pokemon in the Tree with the sole exception Weavile-4 who has a Focus Sash and Ice Punch, Fake Out, and Taunt (well played Game Freak). But even against him, you're guaranteed to get off a Tailwind before you go down, thanks to Prankster.

The cool thing about this set is that it almost completely takes the burden off Smeargle of guaranteeing he gets a move off which means he now has freedom to run Leftovers to improve his Protect-Sub stalling. He also has the luxury of now running Taunt or another attack over Spore as the main reason to run Spore is to ensure safe setup anyway. I'll be darned if there's a better crippler that it's more or less always guarenteed to give Smeargle the jump.

Potential Concerns:

• Lead Weavile-4 as the lead can prevent Whimsicott from getting 2 moves off because of Fake Out, his Dark typing, and having an Ice attack. Fortunately, Smeargle should outspeed him once you Tailwind
  • Focus Sashes and Sturdy can screw with Smeargle's Power Trip sweeps. Stealth Rock can largely mitigate this as there's only 2 Spinners (Tentacruel and Starmie). Defog can be Taunted.
  • Strong priority attackers and Prankster can pose problems as Smeargle is trying to get rolling.
  • Be wary of phazers. Taunt on Whimsicott and Smeargle can negate Roar, Whirlwind, Haze (only one Weezing gets this and he's not Sashed) while Sub prevents Dragon Tail.
  • Psych Up can wreck you if you aren't careful
Once my streak ends (please make it to 90), I am going to give this a try. Any ideas for a good 3rd Pokemon? Like any Mega's with Stealth Rock perhaps?

EDIT:

For those of you uninformed. Smeargle via Sketch can copy the otherwise exclusive move Power Trip from Krookodile. It's base power is 20 but for ever stat raise you get (Evasion and Accuracy count too and stat drops are ignored BTW), the BP got up by another twenty. And if you get +6 in all your stats at any point, it gets a max BP of 860. For perspective, take a Smeargle with +2 in Attack and another + 24 in his other stats. Sadly the damage calculator doesn't have Accuracy and Evasion (understandably) but this should get the point across:

+2 252 Atk Smeargle Power Trip (540 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 259-305 (77.5 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Good lord. And that's without any Evasion and Accuracy boosts, the former of which can let you go turns without using Sub.

Last edited:
Does the Poke Pelago exploit also apply to EV training? Are there diminishing returns on experience like battling a lower level Pokemon, or is it a quick method to get to level 100 and Hyper Training? This would make Hidden Power searching and raising legendary or other genderless Pokemon much easier if true.

Right now, I'm EV training a Scyther. I'm quickly learning that hyper offense isn't the way to go in Super Doubles, especially with the iffy accuracy of Hydro Pump, non-Z move Rock attacks, etc. coming from fast and frail Pokemon.

The AI still loves killing its own team members with spread moves. This Battle Video is a particularly silly example.

U4LW-WWWW-WWW5-6UL2

Does the Poke Pelago exploit also apply to EV training? Are there diminishing returns on experience like battling a lower level Pokemon, or is it a quick method to get to level 100 and Hyper Training? This would make Hidden Power searching and raising legendary or other genderless Pokemon much easier if true.

Right now, I'm EV training a Scyther. I'm quickly learning that hyper offense isn't the way to go in Super Doubles, especially with the iffy accuracy of Hydro Pump, non-Z move Rock attacks, etc. coming from fast and frail Pokemon.

The AI still loves killing its own team members with spread moves. This Battle Video is a particularly silly example.

U4LW-WWWW-WWW5-6UL2
ALL features of the Pelago are completed, which includes EV training. The exploit is efficient for quickly completing precise spreads because you don't have to travel around for specific encounters or keep track of your points manually. Having said that, it's best used for small jobs because of the number of playgrounds; being able to train only one stat at a time per playground, along with multiple pokes not necessarily needing the same amounts, will mean a bunch of save & quits just to finish one poke. That could get annoying.

As for diminishing returns, once you reach level 66 (try not to exceed this number) you're best off using the festival plaza rare kitchens and spending 800 FC to jump to lv98. Eventually you'll reach the point where 27,900 is not enough EXP to climb even one level. It's not worth using the exploit to reach 100, but is excellent for reaching 50.

And hyper offense still works fine in doubles. You just need to plan your team accordingly and anticipate the kinds of problems that can/will come to them.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)