Bulb

Here is an interesting item. I saw it while looking on Serebii at the battle shop page for the Battle Subway. Its called Bulb, it states: "A used bulb. if equipped, Sp. Atk rises when your pokemon is hit with a water attack". It works like the Rechargeable Battery, but with Sp. atk and water moves.

I could see some interesting uses with this, like using something like Starmine with this or any Special sweeper resistant to water to catch your opponent of guard.

Thoughts on this Item?

New item for Double-Surf Rain teams? dunno, Swimming Goggles seems more useful on Starmie but this could work if you switch special attackers into Boiling Water to kill bulky waters. It's extremely dependent on predicting a water move though

Does the bulb grant an immunity to the water-type move when hit? If so, it could definitely help pokemon like Zapdos, who are neutral to water moves but still threaten them enough to force a switch.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Quite possibly, this item could work effectively on Pokemon using the ability, Water Absorb like Suicune and Vaporeon who will not only get a HP recovery but also a very welcome SpA boost.

Quite possibly, this item could work effectively on Pokemon using the ability, Water Absorb like Suicune and Vaporeon who will not only get a HP recovery but also a very welcome SpA boost.
I think Vaporeon's will all be running Hydration now but that's a minor difference
Do we know if Bulb is consumed yet?

Does the bulb grant an immunity to the water-type move when hit? If so, it could definitely help pokemon like Zapdos, who are neutral to water moves but still threaten them enough to force a switch.
I'm not sure about water immunity with the item. I just read it off serebii and it does not specify if it does.

I think leftovers is overall more reliable. However, we don't even know the details of this move yet (whether it works on immune pokemon, whether it gives an immunity, whether it is consumable).

Either that or Storm Drain. +2 SpAtk just for switching in could be deadly. That is, if any of the Pokemon that get Storm Drain have good SpAtk.

Regardless of how exactly it works, you can still switch in Bulb Kingdra on a water move, Draco Meteor, an then high-tail it out of there the next turn. Repeatedly. If you pair it with something like Rhyperior this could work, even as a bluff to get Rhyperior a Substitute

IIRC, Pokejungle listed the bulb as one-use only, if that's the case then we can use:

Sceptile@Bulb
:Unburden

One time double Speed + Sp. Atk boost for coming in on a resisted attack? Yes please.

IIRC, Pokejungle listed the bulb as one-use only, if that's the case then we can use:

Sceptile@Bulb
:Unburden

One time double Speed + Sp. Atk boost for coming in on a resisted attack? Yes please.
And if you never get the opportunity to absorb an attack?

There are more reliable ways of activating Unburden.

Either that or Storm Drain. +2 SpAtk just for switching in could be deadly. That is, if any of the Pokemon that get Storm Drain have good SpAtk.
Gastrodon has 92 base special attack, which isn't bad at all. With investment, that's 622 special attack when switching into a Water-type move, and he has access to Surf, Ice Beam, Hidden Power, and Recover. It could be pretty good. That new, weird cactus Pokemon also gets it via Dream World, and it has 106 base special attack; 684 after a Water-type move. This one is extremely frail and has a shallow movepool, though. Still, Gastrodon seems neat.

Well, it's indeed situational, but very powerful if pulled off, and it's not as if Water attacks are rarely used. The use of Rock or Fire Pokemon as lures can also help and the payoff offsets the disadvantages.

Vaporeon is going to still be used as a Wish passer on most teams, so the desired ability will be Water Absorb.
Sure. Mind giving a reason why? Like Sandstorm being a more viable strategy and therefore most likely being more common in the metagame, especially when comparing tyranitar's usage and obvious utility against many new threats compared to Politoad? How Hydration requires Rain to be set up, and with all of the high-powered threats it could be a waste of a team slot? Nah you couldn't be bothered, just pretend I know the future

A bulb for water moves and rechargeable battery for electric moves. Both types are popular moves so with a little prep you can come up with some good prep. As of now I can see VaporBulb and prob a JolteBattery off the top of my head ;)

A lot of these items look delicious in multiple battles- since Electric and Water both get frequently used hit-em-all attacks.

If only they had one like it for Rock. Being able to switch into SR and power up instead would be supremely amusing.

I doubt items such as Bulb would render respective attack types useless; in doing so, many berries introduced last generation would become useless (Occa, Passho, etc.). If it is re-usable, that makes things very interesting for double/triple battles.

Yea if the item isn't consumable you can use vaporeon/anyone that can surf and intentionally keep surfing and powering up vaporeon.

what about palkia in ubers? 4x water resist means he'll have no problem switching into kyogre/palkia/*new water horse thing*/manaphy water moves.

Sweep with Thunder/Spatial Rend/Surf/aqua tail
The grass/steel pokemon might pose problems for it though.

This is a pretty good item. Starmie would appreciate this a lot.

I've had this question for awhile. This isn't one time use right? Otherwise, its not going to be worth it.

how would Starmie put it to good use? It would be like..Kind of dead see =S...Thats the problem with this item the things that generally lure in electric types lure it in becasue they die to electric type attacks so yah...You get the picture.

Could be good on Simple Pokemon, like a free Swords Dance. Birabel could come in on a resisted Water Attack, get the Bulb boost and get +2 Attack instead of +1.

It could work nicely.

This is especially Potent with a Baton Pass, and Blaziken lures in Water Attacks, gets Speed Boost, and Baton Pass, it could pass speed, get a a water attack to come at Birabel.

Blaziken wont need to invest in Swords Dance on a Baton Passer set, which is a plus.

This looks like it could be licious with Dry Skin Toxicroak.

Come in on a water attack, raise his respectable sp.a, hopefully force the opponent out. If this happens, Swords Dance up, and mix sweep with +2Atk/+1Sp.A.

Somebody prove this is real before we continue this conversation. The Swimming Goggles ended up being a hoax and wasted everybody's time.
Unlike the Swimming Goggles, which was not stated on any of the usual sites (as far as I recall), the Bulb is stated on Serebii and PokéJungle at the least. And I know there's even a picture on Serebii. Unless it's an elaborate hoax (since I would think the sites found this stuff from the game's data) then I'd say it's real.

Oh and by the way. You sure this even works with water absorb? On the research thread it's stated that the rechargable battery (Which in itself is an electric-for-attack version) doesn't raise attack for volt absorb users. Then again even if this is a very similar item, who knows?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)