1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Remember to check the Simple Questions/Simple Answers , Suggestions , Bug Reports and Technical Support threads before posting. If you have something that warrants extended discussion then post a thread, but when in doubt, please use an already existing thread
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Can't Connect right now

Discussion in 'Pokémon Showdown!' started by ejhDrChoch, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejhDrChoch

ejhDrChoch

Why am I not able to connect from the link?
    I've tried Chrome and IE and neither are connecting....
    Anyone know why or a fix for this?
  2. danceparty

danceparty

Pokemon Showdown is currently down, but we hope to be up soon. To check if we're up yet, just use this link.
  3. ThisMysteriousGuy

ThisMysteriousGuy

We got DDoSed again. If you don't know what that means, basically we got a cyber-attack. From my understanding from the IRC discussion, they targeted the server that everything related to PS relies on rather than Smogon's server like in July, so unofficial servers won't work like last time :(

I think it was down for about a week or two last time this happened, but regardless there's no set date for when it'll be online
  4. Shelmet

Shelmet

Again? Wow...

Anyone know how long it'll last?
  5. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
    Creator of PS

We should be back up later today.
  6. BlankZero

BlankZero
    is a Tutor

As of 19:35 EST, it is still down.
  7. Jewzilla

Jewzilla

Still down as of 9:38 EST
  8. naagza

naagza

Guys...I think they know it's down and are trying to do what they can to get it back up as soon as possible. Probably not necessary to post "PS is still down as of _____." That's really obvious to all of us, you know.

Zarel may have said it "should be back up later today" but maybe a problem arised with bringing the server back online that they didn't anticipate at that point.

Just as verbatim suggested earlier today, let's be patient....I'm sure they'll fix it soon.
  9. Orivexes

Orivexes

I was a little saddened when I found I couldn't go online, but Smogon is scratching my pokemon itch for the time being. :)
  10. CoolReborn

CoolReborn

Better wait a day or two before everything stabilize.

Now we have to find out who's responsible for the DDoS attacks.
  11. Damo

Damo

Im suffering from Pokemon withdrawl. This totally sux.
  12. AQuantumLeaf

AQuantumLeaf

"Again?" Why? (I'd ask who, but it almost seems obvious -- either people doing it to see if they can, or pokemon-haters wanting to screw us over).

And raise your hand if PS being down means you can get more work done than you could for weeks.
  13. Damo

Damo

^ I don't think nintendo would love the idea of being able to 'play pokemon free online'. I'm honestly suprised we get away with this.
  14. prem

prem failed abortion
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

honestly i dont think it was nintendo who shut us down.
  15. alkinesthetase

alkinesthetase <@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

if nintendo actually cared they would take legal action, not try to ddos behind people's backs. case in point: konami threatening legal action against DN for using the swirly card backs from official ygo cards. they actually weren't even threatening over the use of the game and cards... just the back

nintendo is most certainly not responsible
  16. Aurora

Aurora Proof evolution is a lie
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

We do not know the people behind the DDoS attack; it's most likely some random cyberattacking group. At any rate, the speculation is rather silly.

The Pokemon Showdown server administrators know exactly what the issue is and are doing everything in their power to fix it.
  17. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
    Creator of PS

Nintendo didn't DDoS us. If they wanted to shut us down, they'd just send us a letter.

Anyway, PS was up for a moment right after I said it'd be up later today, but it was DDoSed again. I anticipate another day or two before we can get back up and running again.
  18. fasmaun

fasmaun

I honestly don't remember what I did on my computer for hours on end before I discovered Pokemon Showdown.

- SuperCoolSnorlax (I should've made this my username...)
  19. abhawk

abhawk

Hey there everyone.

I'm posting on here just to inquire to whether or not anyone has gotten on to Pokemon Showdown yet. I was having some problems loading the page before all of this started I think, so I want to make sure it's still the website and not me.
  20. Aurora

The login server is currently down thanks to two DDoS attacks. It's not you; everyone is experiencing the same problems.
  21. Queen of Randoms

Queen of Randoms I'm So Crown
    is a Battle Server Moderator

It's still down; it's not just you.

EDIT: Ninja'd
  22. Fatecrashers

Fatecrashers acta est fabula
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

if showdown goes back up you can be sure zarel will post something so until then sit tight
  23. JacobNinja

JacobNinja

Is it possible that it was another pokemon simulator trying to gain more users?
  24. Aurora

At present, the PS administrators are unsure of what caused the DDoS attacks. It's much more likely that it's a random cyberattacking group than it is a group of dedicated hackers appointed by a simulator like PO, however.
  25. X5Dragon

X5Dragon

I go for a couple days vacation and this happens lol ;_;
    Waiting for you guys to conquer the trolls.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)