CAP 10 CAP 10 - Part 7 - Art Poll 3

Which design would you prefer for CAP 10?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catoons!'s pixie is the cutest one to me. Not weird or ugly. I've been in love with it since it Focus Punch'd Tyranitar into oblivion.

Cyzir's just looks like a cross between Bronzong and Lanturn-on-crack. It's a very good piece of artwork, but I'm not so sure it fits here. It doesn't appear very speedy.

Voted Yilx.

In all honesty, I think Cartoons! might be sailing off his rep a little, as I don't see what's so great about his design. It dosen't look interesting, or like an Electric type. There's not anything there, in my opinion, that sets it a bar above any of the other designs, and a few that didn't make it to this stage. Don't get me wrong, I know Cartoons! is good... I just feel he was outdone this time.

As Helix said, Cyzir's looks like an Aquatic Brongzong, crossed with a Lanturn.

I actually like Aragorn's. His design was one of the ones I put foward initally, I just like Yilx's better.

In order of preferance:
Yilx
Aragorn
Cyzir
Cartoons!

I voted Yilx.

Simply because of the designs, I like it best. And it looks like a Black Mage from Final Fantasy - which is, IMO, a GOOD thing. Why? Black Mages are known for being able to hit with all sorts of moves, not to mention they look epic.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing any of these win.

For all haters:

CyzirVisheen's design is a giant lanturn which looks more like a bell than anything. It has a lighthouse feel crossed with something which makes it look like it can attack back. Plus, the fish can be used similar to a fist, so we can justify a lot.

Cartoons!
has a fairly original design: and it isn't pre-typed. It doesn't look like it can use any move over another, which is a perfect attitude to use, as it means we can justify, if it really becomes something you wish to do, the use of Move X.

Yilx's design is cute, yet we all agree it looks fun. If you don't want to see it because we have a squid, treat it like a friendly jellyfish. Or remind yourself we have so many bird/ fish Pokemon that it shouldn't matter anymore.

aragornbird's prawn is fun, and it's obviously the best design overall, as we still love it even though it was one of the first to be submitted and it still is going strong.

Finally, Pokemon don't need to make sense. Stop trying to justify or make things more real: if that's what you want, don't play. Animals shouldn't be able to electrocute anything with it's own power, nor shoot fire from their mouths. But we accept it as a fact. Doug had a brilliant design with his beaver, but Cyzir's isn't even an animal or an inanimate object, but something in between, and we still liked both. Stop using the excuse "not Pokemon-enough" or "doesn't seem real" - you are not, nor will ever be, Satoshi Tajiri, so those arguments hold no weight.

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've decided to vote for Cartoons! in the end because it was the only one I felt pulled off high HP, mediocre defenses, speed AND low attacking stats.

Though Aragonbirds design is badass and awesome, crustaceans in the Pokemon world are notorious for low HP and high defenses, which this CAP doesn't have.

Yilx's CAP falls under the same category as the shrimp. It just doesn't look like a tank, more like a frail sweeper or scarfer than anything else.

CyvirVisheen can pass off High HP easily but with the fish's sharp teeth, I can't help but feel *HIGH ATTACK*.

In short, I just went with the one which most fit the stats we voted for.

Choice between CyzirVisheen's and Cartoons!'s submissions was really, really hard. Both of them seem to say "I can survive hits big time!" which really fits 150 base HP. But I also noticed decent attack stats and decent defensive stats. Cartoons!'s submission looked like it can't deliver an attack hard enough that you can say it came from a base 84 stat. CyzirVisheen's, on the other hand, seemed like it had that offensive look and looked pretty defensive because of the plates. Although Cartoons!'s looked speedier than CyzirVisheen's, that was just one stat relevant compared to CyzirVisheen's 5 relevant stats.

Ended up choosing CyzirVisheen's because that pokemon had more relevance to the given stat spread. Also, Cyzir's submission looked like it can really fend off the effects of status because when I imagined it getting hit by something like Toxic, it gets poisoned but the effect is neutralized because the poison goes inside the shell. Stealth Rock and Spikes, too, seemed helpless against those plates.

aragornbird had the "coolest" design here but the shrimp just didn't look like it had gigantic HP.

Voted for Aragornbird because I love the design, and i feel that CAP needs a cute,small pokemon, and looks don't have to match up with their stats, as umbreon's looks don't exactly scream 'high defense stats'

Voted aragornbird again, because it's just so ridiculously awesome. Cartoons! is a close second because of it's quirky coolness.

Yilx reminds me too much of a mix between Rotom and Mismagius and I don't get a water/electric feel from it at all, although I do think it looks amazing. It just doesn't fit the concept or typing.

Cyzir's to me feels exaggerated and the least original of the four. I like the way he handled the concept of an anglerfish though, it's just that there are already two of them with the same typing.

voted for cv, like ud i would like cap 10 to say fuck you to grass knot. art shouldn't affect the cap except for the name, but all the designs look pretty lightweight anyway. cyzir's design looks like a real pokémon to me which is why i voted it

Voted for Aragornbird. I loved Keishinkae's design, but it didn't make it through. But honestly, we've got such an awesome collection of designs here that all of them look spectacular.

Voted for Cartoons!, although it was a tough decision between his and Cyzir's. I just feel that they are the stronger and more original designs and fit the stats/abilities the best as well.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Voted Yilx

because CAP needs a cutemon. As of now we only have Fidgit, lol. It's definitely the best design to me. Plus, he doesn't have an art badge

CyzirVisheen still does not fail to impress me - if my first choice ever fails he will have my backup on the next =). Also, very original despite the "Bronzong lookalike" claim that a few have posted.

Cartoons!:
Looks too much like Azelf + Skitty fusion IMO, but cool nonetheless

aragornbird: I'm sorry but I don't like shrimps at all :(, but your design was very clever and I like that.

I voted for cartoon's design. Looks the most like a pokemon and doesn't really look like any existing pokemon.

I voted Yilx. The idea is highly original, and actually looks like it could use both of the abilities. It looks simultaneously cute and able to destroy you, which is hard to pull off.

Aragornbird, however, was a VERY close second. Loved that design from the moment I laid eyes on it and would not at all mind seeing it win.

I ended up going with Aragornbird for my vote. Aragorn's was my second favorite of all of the art submissions, coming in extremely close behind Doug's beaver. Unfortunately, Doug's beaver didn't make it through. Aragorn still made an amazing shrimp Pokemon, and is definitely one of the best art submissions in CAP history.

I went with Cartoons! - I love the ethereal differentness of it. I actually voted for Cyzir in the second poll, but I can't really decide, so I'll give each a vote for each round they make.

I LOVE CAP FART

I voted for Cyzir's lanturn/fish, imo it fits the 151 damn HP and looks pretty cool. Plus the fish is sick.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wow, this is close! I don't think we have ever had a final four with the votes so evenly split from top to bottom. Even after ten CAP projects, I guess there is still room for surprises.

Like many have said, I would be very happy with any of these.

CyzirVisheen: The details and coloring of this one really stand out for me. I looks like a badass, but still has that essential cartoon simplicity. I think your design would be a lot of fun to sprite.

Aragornbird: I've been lovin' the shrimp from the very beginning. Almost every major form of marine life has been represented in Pokemon -- except shrimp. You did a great job of adding little touches and flourishes to make it look cool and fully evolved, but still retaining a high "cute factor". Your best CAP design so far, IMO.

Cartoons: Originality is your calling card, and it shows here. Great mix of design elements, where each part is not "on the nose" to the typing or concept, but the overall combination works perfectly for everything we are doing with CAP 10. I love the watercoloring, too.

Yilx: IMO, this is the best work of art submitted in CAP 10 -- which, considering the field, is saying a lot. I've been wanting a cute CAPmon for a long time, and this design fits perfectly on every level. It shows the typing, without beating us over the head with it, and it has a legendary feel along the lines of Jirachi and Celebi, which allows the monster stats and magical abilities to work just fine.​

At one point or other during the submission thread and polls, each of these four designs have been my "favorite". It's tough for me to cast a single vote, but right now Yilx has won me over with the sheer beauty and polish of his artwork.

Congratulations to all the artists that submitted designs for CAP 10!

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ugh, tough choice between Yilx and Cyzir. I finally decided on CyzirVisheen's lantern-fish thing because it had so much personality.

I voted Aragornbird

I never really understood Cartoons! and Yilx's entries, they were great pieces of art but too plain feeling, and Yilx's design isn't very pokemony and looks quite weak.

Cyzirs is really good, full of character but its too complicated, too overdone. Aragornbird's fits while being detailed and simple.

Voted aragornbird. I really love the idea of an Electric shrimp. I saw this design early on and loved the hell out of it, reminds me a little of P2, it has a kind of innocence about it. It also has the "don't underestimate me just because I'm a shrimp" kinda feel. Cute = deadly.

Voted for CyzirVisheen. His design just strikes me as something Game Freak would come up with, as well as being the one I see fitting my personal idea of the design the most. As to those who say it looks too big, if you make all the images the same size, it really isn't all that large.

On the other designs:
Cartoons!: While I like the design, I see it as a Flying type, and can't really see the typing given in it. However, the design as a whole is really sound.

aragornbird: It was a tough choice deciding between this an CyzirVisheen's, as it looks like an Utility Counter, with the stat spread fitting nicely. However, the fact I am not a huge fan of seafood slightly swung the vote.

Yilx: While the design is very well though out, nicely coloured, and extremely well drawn, it didn't really strike me as something that went with CAP 10.

I was going to vote Ylix again, but then I looked at the poll and couldn't help but force a tie. CyzirVasheen gets my vote this time, because of reasons stated earlier.

Really am not feeling aragonbird's design. It's cute, yeah, but it doesn't wow me like the others did, like Alien Shuckle from the early pages, or the other three competitors. Is it because of prwnt and horrible puns? Robot bell anglerfish, lolisquidmage, and whatever the hell Cartoons! drew personally are more interesting than prawn with kickin' rad lightning decals.

But what do I know, I'm a stupid newbie.

I voted for Yilx. The design is simply adorable, looks like it could perfectly use both of the abilities chosen for CAP10, fits the typing, and looks to me like it could pull off both the speed and the bulk of CAP10 (as distributed) effectively. Furthermore, it is the design that most appeals to me and looks like a Pokemon of the lot. AragornBird's lacks the appeal as it looks too directly like a normal shrimp with no Poke-fications. It appears as though it should be a pre-evolution of something, not the end product that should be utility countering stuff. Cartoons!' looks too random and chaotic for my tastes, which is something that Pokemon tend to not be. Finally, Cyzir's is great and all, but it looks way too heavy and way too slow. That thing moving at 105 speed is beyond me.

I'd also like to emphasize that everyone should vote for their favorites (for whatever reasons), not just whatever forces a tie, whatever someone else voted for, or your favorite artist. Base your vote also not on the quality of the image, but the quality of the design, as that is the absolute most significant part of this stage of the CAP process. This is a serious stage of the project, despite being non-competitive, and it'd be great if everyone treated it as such.

Good luck, contestants!

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I feel ashamed.

And such a ridiculously close voting wasn't something I was expecting. I really thought it would pretty much be AB vs Cyzir from the get-go. But even then, I voted for Ylix. I like Cutemon and we need one for CAP ~__~ Besides, as some people have said before me, Ylix's really has this "cute yet dangerous" feeling, like Celebi and Jirachi, which also justifies how in hell such a measly pokémon has such gigantic stats (I mean it makes more sense to me than Pyroak and its 570 BST). Not that it matters much in the end but hell this poll is flavor-only so I'm going with the cute one.

voted aragornbird, because the presence of an angler fish, though not as original looking, is already present in the game (lanturn) No shrimp pokemon have been made, and the shrimp's soft but durable shell is kind of a counter in itself. Allows it to move and be defended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)