CAP 11 CAP 11 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my submission for CAP 11:

http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac168/tacosr2yummy/?action=view&current=CCI07222010_00001.jpg

It's a monkey based on the character from Journey to the West. I think he manages to pull off the fighting type look pretty well, the dark part is harder to tell. I wanted to make his partner Altaria (The monkey from Journey to the West rides on a cloud), but Togekiss was a good second option.

P.S. Sorry that it is somewhat difficult to see, it's only a sketch.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

New pose. I kinda prefer this guy in his more relaxed poses, but if people prefer action shots I'll have to oblige.

Still need to decide on a final pose and colour scheme. All feedback appreciated.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Several people thought the voodoo doll idea was good, but thought my design was just too similar to the characters from "9". So, I've revamped the voodoo doll to get away from the general body shape that is familiar to "9", and hopefully take this design in a new, original direction.

I kept all the key voodoo elements of the design -- stitched body seams, button eyes, stick pins in various places, and a patchwork heart pierced by a sewing needle.

Unfortunately, I had to ditch the female look of the design. No matter how hard I tried, all the sleek or slim designs I came up with -- they all looked like 9 characters. There were a few slender designs that didn't look like 9, but they all were very ugly, and didn't look "cool" at all. And every time I tweaked the design to look "cooler" -- it invariably took me right back into 9 lookalikes. So, I decided to go with a more puffy voodoo doll -- which is more like a real voodoo doll anyway.

Big thanks to SEO, for turning me onto the short animation, "Sebastian's Voodoo". The animation is excellent, and it gave me motivation to try some puffy doll designs.

Anyway, I like this version quite a bit. This version is cuter, IMO -- in an intentionally ugly kind of way, if that makes any sense. The other design definitely fit the high speed stat better than this design -- but if we can make a 151 base HP shrimp, we can have a 100+ speed voodoo doll! This design is bulkier and easily supports the defensive side of the stat spread. The voodoo theme gives a magic element to the design, which opens up all sorts of possibilities with special attacking and support moves.

I may change up some of the details, but I don't plan to overload it with too much. I'd like to keep this centered on the key design elements I mentioned above.

I like this version too, its very cool.

I actually just thought of maybe making an Ibis like entry, and while I dont want to make it, I'd like to see someone try it.

I'll be working on a new stance for my entry. So look forward to it! ^_^

Doug, I love what you did with the design! Looking at your original it really does look like something out of 9 (except better xD). I can totally see him taking out the big pin in the center and using it for Night Slash or a really twisted Payback/Faint Attack xD Really can't wait to see a colored version or even just some supportig material. Definately one of my favorite designs so far!

Depending on the color scheme, I could also really see small, maybe slightly tarnished, sewed on boxing gloves (or even just one xD) fitting this design. It does seem to miss out just a bit on the fighting aspect while it does possess an obvious dark theme. But like I said, I don't know if the color scheme would support that or if it would simply make it fit the fighting look. Just want to see this do well in the polls!

@The Average Battler: The design is well-made and your sketches are very nice, but to me it seems to stray too close to Monferno and Infernape design-wise.

@bugmaniacbob: I like the streamlined appearance of it, but it seems to be a physically-offensive Dark/Steel Pokemon in contrast to the specially-offensive stats it will most likely have.

@DougJustDoug: Somehow, you managed to make it look both threatening and plush. I just happen to relate the occult with Ghost-type though, but I can understand how it would fit into the Dark/Fighting concept. :)

Here is my submission for CAP 11:

http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac168/tacosr2yummy/?action=view&current=CCI07222010_00001.jpg

It's a monkey based on the character from Journey to the West. I think he manages to pull off the fighting type look pretty well, the dark part is harder to tell. I wanted to make his partner Altaria (The monkey from Journey to the West rides on a cloud), but Togekiss was a good second option.

P.S. Sorry that it is somewhat difficult to see, it's only a sketch.
This is good art, but my main problem is the concept is exactly what Monferno and subsequently Infernape are... If it was a little more evil looking, then maybe you could differentiate it, but even your design looks similar to a combination of Monferno and Infernape and you probably weren't even trying because of the same source material.

Good luck, the rest of you! I'd try to enter but I seriously have no idea for a Dark/Fighting type...

Okay! I tweaked the color pallette on mine a bit, and just wanted opinions on it before I actually fully color it in.

So, It went from this:

To this:

I'm still not sure which I like better. CnC PLEEEEASE.

Also, just some comments on the lineart would be nice too. :3

EDIT: @AlmondEyes, Maybe changing the blue to a dark red? It looks amazing, just tweak the colors a bit. :3
you know, it needs a little bit of work to be up to the quality of other CAP artwork , BUT, I REEEEAAAAALLLLLY like this concept for a dark/fighting pokemon.

The Evil look of the pokemon really helps the whole DARK image it's trying to portray, and the boxing gloves take care of the fighting part.
But something about it being a jester is absolutely PERFECT for portraying the whole idea of "fighting dirty" that a dark/fighting pokemon would center around.

And the cute factor or it being a jack-in-the-box keeps it consistent with the pokemon universe.

It's utterly perfect!

Final Submission

Main Submission:

Supporting Material:
Though people gave me plenty to think about and work on, I eventually came back to the original colour scheme and pose. Looking at all my work it seemed the best of the bunch in regards to typing, originality and personality. All comments on my work was highly appreciated regardless and helped work me and others towards making the best design for the job.

The design is a heartless raccoon. An emotionless trickster of tricksters that clears areas of ghosts and evildoers. As a side effect of this clean up it makes the areas habitable for Togekiss which tend to bestow gifts in return whether the raccoon likes it or not.

The image here showcases the raccoon getting into a fighting posture and faking a smile. I've added small nods to Togekiss in the design here and there but nothing too flashy or jarring. The colours I feel suit a raccoon-like Pokémon best with deep blue to help signify nightime and a little splash of brown since it's a popular fighting type colour. Dark types in particular such as Sharpedo, Sneasel and Honchcrow seem to enjoy deep blues along with their blacks as a common colour.

First up is a generic pose that I first used to showcase the design. It can be used as a guide for sprite artists since the pose is neutral and calm.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u65/wyverii/darkracoon.png

Second up is something I felt needed to be done, a pose showcasing the use of the potential abilities Motor Drive/Volt Absorb. The Pokémon heart cavity has been filled with lightning causing him a temporary artificial feeling of emotions. You could almost say they would seek electricity to cause this drug-like effect. This was the only ability I felt needed some sort of support to work with my design. I'm sure other submissions here could use a similar justification if needed.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u65/wyverii/motordrivecoon.png

Another interesting thing to note is trace on this Pokémon which is an ability that tend to be on emotional Pokémon which are the opposite of this concept. It's easily justified on the raccoon however since it has to read and copy emotions from other Pokémon.

I don't think it needs much more than this to showcase the feel of my work, but if I have time I can and will add to this post. Good luck to all the other entries here!

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey everyone. I'm a bit late finally getting to this! I'd love some C&C on this CAP 11 design. I went with a Hyena as my inspiration, since they are scavengers and scrappers, which to me say "dark" and "fighting".

To incorporate something more fighting-like and maybe to lean towards some special attacking strengths, I went with this tribal thing, and gave him some bone jewlery and piercings (not meant to be accessories, but features all pokemon of this type share). I would love to hear thoughts on if he seems enough like a special attacker. Also I'm hearing Volt Absorb being tossed around; haven't had a chance to read the Abilities threads yet, but I think that the bone "jewlery" could be construed as something that could ground him - I could play this up more too.

Great designs by everyone else too, these CAP art threads are so fun.

So I feel like it's kinda lame for me to make my first post over here, but my boyfriend has been submitting designs for this contest and I wanted to get in on the game, too! Mostly I poke at the smogon server on shoddy battle, so I'm not a total newbie.

I started off thinking of how I could capture "fighting dirty" in a pokemon and ended up with a thief, mugger, assassin-type thing going on. The pokemon who I first became inspired by were Toxicroak, my favorite fighting type, and Darkrai. You can see Darkrai's influence in his flowy-ness.
Why the goo? I was going for inky blackness of night. I imagine goo would be swift and silent, much like a dark fighter would need to be.
Why the spade mask thing? A thief or mugger would not want his true identity known, so I decided to go with something faceless and impersonal. The spade is inspired by the idea of a thief leaving a calling card, and taking "calling card" literally, I picked a spade, being the most blade-like suit.
Basically I picture this entity as an inky, silent shadow, then with just a flash of its silvery blade and a glimpse of its silent face, its goals are met and its gone.

My worries, however, is that its not much of a pokemon. I don't like kingdom hearts, but I'm reminded of the Heartless thingies now that I stand back and look at my guy.

Here's a picture of him on a different background: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/SuperMo0/inkypokeshopnavybg_little.jpg

Editing: I feel like getting my critique on, so I'll go up from my post and talk about what I see.

Paintseagull: I do love how cleanly your design is illustrated, and it's a very cute concept, but I have trouble seeing something based off a hyena as a special attacker. Hyenas are pretty stocky and built for ripping and tearing, and your little guy feels like he's meant for that, too. I feel like the tribal thing could be taken farther. You could get inspired by fantasy shamans or necromancers and have him possessed by spirits or visibly channeling some kind of ethereal energy. I also like how he's bipedal.

Dougjustdoug: I'm late in the game as far as checking out yer stuff, but I'm having trouble connecting voodoo to the dark type. To me, I think dark type pokemon are very much alive and malicious or selfish. A voodoo doll screams ghost-type for me, because it's just an avatar or vessel for something else. I will say that where you're going now is a lot better than what I saw briefly before. Putting aside the 9 thing, the patchwork look of your doll makes it feel like a witchdoctor's quick mock-up rather than something he would put a lot of time into. A longer, more female doll feels like too much attention to details.

I need an opinion here

The one on the left has an aura that is completely shadow, meaning that no shading detail will go into the hands or feet. Does everybody think it looks good like that? I personally enjoy it because it further solidifies that the aura is made of shadow instead of some foggy substance.

hark: If you think about it, shadows are just the absence of light. Something made of pure shadow would have no light in it, and with no light there's no highlights. ...That all made sense in my head. You could go the route of making all the outlines in the shadowy areas white (like lines between the fingers, etc). You also gotta think of how it will look as a sprite. His shadowbits will be much more striking if you go for solid black.

Since my old design was referenced to patrick star off "spongebob", i decided to make some changes. Most notably he now has hands! I kept his "martini" like look as it does actually tie in well with volt absorb as a possible ability.

(wow, he measured 637 pixels, 3 under the limit, lucky me!)

Main Submission:

Supporting Material:
Picture: here
This Pokemon has developed a sybiotic relationship with Togekiss and it's evolution line. By absorbing some of the Toge's aura for food, This pokemon is able to survive. In return for the everlasting food source, this pokemon has become a guard for the young and the old. With most of Togekiss's predators covered by this pokemon, both this pokemon and Togekiss have been able to survive in colonies undesturbed for years.

This pokemon uses the "Ribbon" on it's head to absorb and store electricity. The "ribbon" is actually an organ that works as a magnet. When a bolt of electricity slices throught the air, it's usually be drawn to the "Ribbon".

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I'm just going to say that Wyverii, I love your CAP submission. It "desperately" reminds me of Sly Cooper.

So... a while ago, i found a small village in which a new pokemon daycare had been opened. They claimed to offer a ground breaking new service called "Quadra-poke-care" meaning, in short, that they would care for up to four pokemon at a time. Excited as i was to see how this new service functioned, i left in their care the majority of my party at the time, being, if my memory serves, an ambipom, masquerain, probopass, and slakoth. Wishing them goodbye, i set off anew upon my adventure, not to return for over a year. When i did return, i was told the most horrid tale of what happened the day after i left, which i will now relate to you:
On the morning after my departure, it is said that the land lady of the daycare attempted to preform a ritual seppuku after making her rounds of the daycare, she was interrupted, however, by her husband, who allegedly suffered a nearly fatal heart attack upon looking out the back window. the daycare was mysteriously closed down, and the land sold to 6 consecutive companies, each of which went bankrupt within a month. Except the 3rd, who's employees all contracted a rare form of bubonic plague, and was forced to shut down. Also, they said no rain fell in the Sinnoh region for that entire year.
Upon revisiting the previous location of the daycare with hopes of finding my old poke-pals, i was dismayed to see the pens had been long since broken and they had all escaped, however, i did find this dude:

so i brought him home and maxed his speed and special attack EVs. We also won some contests in hearthome.

so yea. sorry about that. ...Anyway, here's my guy. I think he uses his feet for kickboxing, so he mostly walks on his hands. What do you guys think?

Edit: also, i really like the designs by Yilx, Buffalowings and Cartoons! really cool stuff guys.

Okay I have a choice to make as to which concept to use for the final submission; Monkey or Lizard.

Keep in mind this is just the concept to use for the FS, and the pose/colours are not solid.

W-wait a minute, Did Zantimonius do a better job at making a face with his pokemon than I did?

Fuck....

@C~dog: I prefer your monkey...I think it fits the typing better...

My favorites so far are Paras Hilton (either one), Hark, Wyverii, and Bag0k.

I think they all capture the essence of Fighting/Dark, and the style is perfect and unique, capturing both sides of the typing equally well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)