CAP 15 CAP 4 - Part 14 - Dex Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok so it's unbearable dullness time

My power is fading and I must preside over this... hoo-bloody-ray.

Some TL edicts:

Height: 2.1m / 6'11"
Weight: 193.0 kg / 425.5 lbs
Gender Ratio: 50% Male / 50% Female
Hidden Ability: Illusion

Interestingly, all BW CAPs thus far have been resistant or immune to both of Low Kick and Grass Knot. Why do we hate these moves so much?

Anyway, as much as I'd love to explain my reasoning, I can't be bothered to.

Oh alright fine then.

Height is above average for a pseudo-legend - less than Dragonite, but more than Tyranitar and Garchomp. Which is jolly fitting.

Weight makes so little difference to anything but... I went with 199 kg, which is about the same as Ho-Oh. Yeah I know what you're thinking, but just let me explain. I envisage the body being pretty feather-light, but the wings being heavy - they are, after all, made of gold. Thus, I did the following: First, I modelled the wings as being gold bars of 100 x 20 x 5 cm, which gives a volume of 10,000 cm^3. Assuming that they are pure, 24 karat gold Au (which has a density of 19.3g/cm^3), they should have a rough mass of about 193,000g, or 193 kg.

After that, you can make a guess at the fluffy body mass. I decided to make it a nice round number, but I kept it to 6 kg, so the overall mass was under 200, and thus that Grass Knot and Low Kick had 20 less BP (small, I know, but who cares) and to annoy people using Heavy Balls. Actually, scratch that. I'll leave it as 193 kg as a little easter egg for the people who know about the density of gold - which I think adds a bit of a nicer touch than the rather arbitrary addition for body mass.

Everybody believes in gender equality, so 50%/50% there.

Also Illusion is the Hidden Ability because let's face it it makes the least sense out of any of the abilities on Aurumoth and I really didn't want to spend time thinking about it too hard

Anyway, Dex Entry time!

And thankfully some kind soul bothered to update the Dex Entry Submission guidelines so that we could all know what we should be aiming for. I really should remember to thank that person. Wish I could remember his name...

The following rules must be adhered to by all submissions:

• Pokedex entries are 1-3 short, simple sentences.
  • Pokedex entries must be submitted as a Final Submission to be considered in the poll. You should make this absolutely clear so that the Topic Leader knows that it is your Final Submission.
  • Provide a Pokedex entry for Pokemon Black, Pokemon White, and a combined entry for Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2. This means that you need to submit three Pokedex entries, not just one. Usually, the Black and White entries complement the ideas of the other, but address different sides of the same coin, while the combined third entry combines the two ideas in some fashion. Check some in-game BW Pokedex entries for examples.
  • You may ask for advice, but bumping of any kind is not allowed. If people don't comment on your Pokedex entry, let the silence be your advice. You can revise it and repost it, but please don't ask for help in the thread.
  • Keep entries in good taste. If it happens on Animal Planet or in National Geographic it's fair game, but gratuitously violent or excessively disgusting entries will be warned and deleted.
  • One submission per user.

Example Submission: Serperior

Serperior, the Regal Pokemon
Black: It can stop its opponents' movements with just a glare. It takes in solar energy and boosts it internally.
White: They raise their heads to intimidate opponents, but only give it their all when fighting a powerful opponent.
Black 2 / White 2: It only gives its all fighting against strong opponents who are not fazed by the glare from Serperior's noble eyes.

-------

Below is CAP 4 so far:

Name: Aurumoth

Name: Risky Business (formerly "Living On the Edge")

General Description: This Pokémon is very risky to play, but very rewarding if played correctly.

Justification: Many of the Pokémon that are successful in OU are relatively easy to play or have great "safe" options (e.g. U-turn). Yet, many other Pokémon look very powerful, but are less successful than they could be because of some large risks involved (e.g. Hydreigon), and some aren't successful at all (e.g. Honchkrow). This self-balancing concept intends to explore what it takes for a risky Pokémon to be successful, and how much inherent risk a Pokémon can get away with. It should be emphasized that this concept is NOT about luck management, but rather, it is about what the user can afford to do given his/her opponent's options, and vice versa.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • What is the relationship between risk and potential consequences, both positive and negative?
  • What kinds of inherently risky tactics are successful in the OU metagame?
  • Do risky Pokémon need some form of safe options (e.g. switch-ins) to be successful in OU, or can it get away with having few really safe options?
  • How does Substitute, a well-known "safe" move with nearly universal distribution, impact how this Pokémon is built and played?
  • How do existing Pokémon use and deal with risky situations?
  • Can risky Pokémon be played well in the early game, or are they better off put into action later on?
  • How do different playstyles interact with risky situations?

Typing:
/

Abilities: Weak Armour / Illusion (DW) / No Guard
Base Stats: 110 HP / 120 Atk / 99 Def / 117 SpA / 60 SpD / 94 Spe
Movepool:
(14 moves, 6 VGMs)

-Dragon Dance
-Quiver Dance
-Tackle
-String Shot
-Silver Wind
-Sunny Day
7. Silver Wind
14. Sunny Day
21. Heal Pulse
27. Ominous Wind
34. Will-o-Wisp
41. Final Gambit
47. Ancientpower
54. Wish
61. Healing Wish
67. Tail Glow

There are a number of things going on in this Level-Up pool, so I'll start with the overall flavor I was going for when putting it together. I wanted to touch on the celestial themes of the art design, especially the connotations of protection ("guardian angel") and mysticism (a sense of "the unknown," as it were). Dante tells us that angels can be good or evil, and so I've thrown in a touch of both as they almost duel with one another as the Poke levels up, to make the flavor more complex. These elements not only reference the Psychic secondary-typing without being overt, they also play to the "pseudo-legendary" notion of our 600 BST stat spread by implying a greater backstory than meets the eye (not that I have a particular story in mind, but they should lead to plenty of good Pokedex entries). I also tried to experiment with text-blocking and visualization, wherein if you give the list of moves just a quick skim or passing overview, it should make four words jump out at you without you necessarily noticing: Dance, Wind, Heal, and Wish. That is because those words are all repeated more than once amongst the move names themselves and are often spatially situated either near each other (for impact) or far apart (for the reminder-effect). So, you should feel a subliminal sense of whimsy or lightness from those four words' connotations, even as you read through the list word-for-word. If it doesn't work, then oh well; it's a poetry thing, I'm not particularly familiar with it, and it's not super important.

Moving on, I use the Biblically-significant number "3" as the backbone for three consecutive sets of three moves each: Silver Wind / Sunny Day / Heal Pulse ; Ominous Wind / Will-o-Wisp / Final Gambit ; and Ancientpower / Wish / Healing Wish. The core of the movepool, these three sets all have similar progressions of [attack]-->[general aid]-->[specific aid]. The first set (presumably belonging to the "Basic" or "Baby" evolutionary stage) is much more innocent and subdued than the latter two, which focus on the more mature concepts of suffering (Will-o-Wisp to create suffering vs. Wish to remove suffering) and self-sacrifice (Final Gambit to hurt an enemy vs. Healing Wish to help a friend). The narrative of the learnset, based on this progression, is that while Aurumoth (or its pre-evolutions) can be robbed of its innocence and tempted with "evil" or aggression (@Ominous Wind/WoW/Gambit), as it grows and matures (evolves), it becomes more selfless and "good," in the end. I'm thinking if we go for a three-stage evolutionary process, we could choose any sort of method to flavorfully bring it all together, although I personally think activating evolutions at the learning of Ominous Wind and Ancientpower would be most acceptable in this case: the basic stage could be a cutemon, the middle stage emo or something, and the final stage, of course, would be Aurumoth itself (there are even precedents for evolution-by-Ancientpower, including Yanma-->Yanmega). Speaking of Biblical numerology, although less significantly, I also use a lot of the Biblically-significant number "7" in the Level-Up pool: attacks begin to be learned at L7, all attacking moves are learned at a level with a singles digit of "7", and most moves are learned seven levels apart, excepting Ominous Wind, Ancientpower, and Tail Glow, the three of which are learned six levels after their previous moves, for a touch of subliminal mystery (6-6-6 wtf!?). There are also 12 non-Heart Scale moves to be learned, and 12 is a major Biblical number as well.

The movepool as a whole is largely pacifistic, which I thought was appropriate for a seraphim design, and so the only attacks included here are Tackle (out of necessity for a generic starting attack), and then Silver Wind, Ominous Wind, and Ancientpower. I like these moves not only because of their individual flavor merits (irrespective of one another), but also because they are the three moves available that each have a 10% chance of raising all of Aurumoth's stats at once, but with only 5 PP apiece, which is my sort of tongue-in-cheek allusion to the concept, flavor-wise. Ironically, Aurumoth gets all of its best stat-boosting moves here as well, either by leveling up to Tail Glow or by going to the Move Relearner with a Heart Scale or two to unlock the secret Dancing powers it never knew it had.

Aurumoth gets three recovery moves here: Heal Pulse, Wish, and Healing Wish, and while it can only benefit directly from one (and even then it doesn't necessarily benefit), the moves still offer that "guardian angel" vibe of taking care of its teammates, even if it's at a cost to Aurumoth itself. Other flavor choices include Sunny Day and Will-o-Wisp, which I added because of the angelic connection to fire and flame (Seraph literally means "burning ones"). In the case of these moves, Sunny Day represents more of the "clarity" aspect of the angel-fire relationship ("Clear Sky" is the Japanese translation of the move, and Sunny Day itself is a Fire-type move), while Will-o-Wisp offers the more literal interpretation of "creating fire."
(Bug Group; 9 moves, 5 VGMs)

Bug Buzz - Accelgor, Beautifly, Butterfree, Dustox, Escavalier, Galvantula, Illumise, Kriketune, Ledian, Masquerain, Mothim, Ninjask, Venemoth, Volbeat, Volcarona, Yanmega
Close Combat - Heracross, Pinsir
Counter - Crustle, Escavalier, Forretress, Gliscor, Heracross, Illumise, Parasect, Scizor, Volbeat
Disable - Ariados, Galvantula, Venemoth
Feint - Accelgor, Flygon, Gliscor, Heracross, Pinsir, Scizor, Yanmega
Hydro Pump - Masquerain
Megahorn - Escavalier, Heracross, Scolipede
Safeguard - Beautifly, Butterfree, Ledian, Scizor, Shuckle
Wing Attack - Gliscor, Scizor, Yanmega
Code:
[B]Legal Move Combinations:[/B]

Bug Buzz + Counter + Megahorn (Escavalier)
Bug Buzz + Feint + Wing Attack (Yanmega)
Bug Buzz + Disable (Galvantula, Venemoth)
Bug Buzz + Hydro Pump (Masquerain)
Close Combat + Counter + Feint + Megahorn (Heracross)
Counter + Feint + Wing Attack (Scizor)

[B]Illegal Move Combinations:[/B]

Bug Buzz + Close Combat
Close Combat + Disable + Hydro Pump + Wing Attack
Counter + Disable + Hydro Pump
Disable + Feint + Hydro Pump
Disable + Megahorn
Hydro Pump + Megahorn + Wing Attack
Note: not that it matters, but there are actually a few illegalities involving Safeguard; however, since Safeguard is also a TM, they aren't "real" illegalities, and as such I have not included Safeguard in either of these lists, since it is legal with all moves.

Whoa, so here's where the offense comes in. I put Aurumoth's hard-hitting STAB attacks and coverage moves here because, well, it needs them somewhere, and the Egg pool still runs on flavor, just with more leeway. The flavor additions I included are Disable, Feint, and Safeguard, which are all, to various degrees, good double or triple-battle moves (and since I already started with Heal Pulse, I thought I might as well toss in a few extra goodies), and also Wing Attack because lol it has six wings. They also fit thematically into the flavor priorities I gave myself for the Level-Up movepool, in terms of exploring protectiveness (or lack thereof; both Feint and Safeguard do this) and mystical powers (both Disable and Safeguard do this). Gengar has turned Disable into an intriguing move, to say the least, so I hope people experiment with it, especially considering how, should this movepool be chosen, Choice Scarf Pokemon may be commonly relied upon to check our CAP, and a Sub/Disable or, riskier yet, QD/Disable set might frustrate their gameplans.

The only notable move illegalities here are that both Megahorn and Close Combat are illegal with Hydro Pump, which basically means mixed sets will not have auto-Rain abuse built into them. While this doesn't change the fact that QD/TG are both legal with Hydro Pump (unavoidable in the case of Quiver Dance), or that Megahorn/CC are both legal with Surf, or that Thunder is legal with everything, it remains a move illegality that reigns in the power of Rain-bosted Hydro Pump at least a little bit. No, I didn't do this on purpose, but I can at least explain why it isn't a big deal that it turned out this way. So yeah, movedump.
(43 moves, 21 VGMs)

TM03 - Psyshock
TM06 - Toxic
TM07 - Hail
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM13 - Ice Beam
TM14 - Blizzard
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM19 - Telekinesis
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM22 - SolarBeam
TM24 - Thunderbolt
TM25 - Thunder
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM30 - Shadow Ball
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Round
TM49 - Echoed Voice
TM50 - Overheat
TM51 - Ally Switch
TM52 - Focus Blast
TM56 - Fling
TM61 - Will-o-Wisp
TM67 - Retaliate
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM70 - Flash
TM76 - Struggle Bug
TM77 - Psych Up
TM81 - X-Scissor
TM85 - Dream Eater
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute
HM01 - Cut
HM03 - Surf

With the exception of Bug Buzz and Hydro Pump, Aurumoth gets all of its Special attacks here, including its primary Psychic STABs and Electric/Fighting/Fire/Ice coverage. It also gets a physical STAB attack in X-Scissor, which is a more reliable alternative to Megahorn. Additionally, Dual Screens are present, potentially pairing nicely with Healing Wish and/or Illusion. There is never a good way to talk about TMs, so I'll just say that I went through the list with an eye for the competitive VGMs I wanted, type-move and move-move requirements, Bug/Psychic moves, and generically-required TMs. After all that, there wasn't much left to add and so this is the result. Aurumoth learns 43 TM/HMs, with Sunny Day, Will-o-Wisp, and Safeguard as repeats from the LU/Egg pools, leaving 40 moves unique to this list.
(12 moves, 3 VGMs)

Bug Bite
Electroweb
Helping Hand
Icy Wind
Magic Coat
Magic Room
Recycle
Roleplay
Skill Swap
Trick
Wonder Room
Zen Headbutt

I'm glad we finally have tutor moves in BW2! This list is visibly focused on Aurumoth's Psychic movepool, featuring Magic Coat, Magic Room, Roleplay, Skill Swap, Trick, Wonder Room, and Zen Headbutt (over half the list). It also learns Bug Bite as a Tutor move, along with Electroweb, Helping Hand, and Recycle (because it’s what Jesus would do), for flavor.
Height: 2.1m / 6'11"
Weight: 193.0 kg / 425.5 lbs
Gender Ratio: 50% Male / 50% Female
Experience Growth: 1,250,000 EXP (Slow)
Base Happiness: 35
Effort Value Yield: 1 HP, 1 Attack, 1 Special Attack
Capture Rate: 45
Base Egg Steps: 10,240

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
First things first.

I don't expect you all to identify, but I do feel it's necessary to remember.

(minute's silence)

Anyway, now for something fun! you guys are going to hate me for this aren't you

Yes, that's right! This is going to be a themed Dex Entries Submission contest! What does it mean? What does it entail? Well, you lucky lucky people, you're about to find out!

Yeah so I'm tired of the same old dull-as-ditchwater, very occasionally morbid dex entries that perpetually seem to be cropping up. So, I'm going to be asking for Dex Entries that are a lot more in line with what I consider to be "proper" Dex Entries - namely, those with humour as their main modus operandi. So, that's your challenge - make me laugh with these Dex entries! And I can assure you, as someone with no sense of humour at all, that will be no small feat. Only the very best of the best will be slated - so I'd advise you to oil that funny bone and sharpen that dry, witty tongue of yours.

Here are some things that I'll be looking for: First, you should try to be witty within reason, but not go for all-out zany madcap humour.

If possible, dark humour is best for Black entries, while lighthearted humour or puns are better for White entries. Black 2 / White 2 can be whatever the heck you want them to be.

Have at it!

-----

BMB's obligatory Topic Leader footnote gimmick - My Top 15 Arthropods

#1 The Praying Mantis

Fascinating Fact said:
Were you surprised? Master of disguise, close enough to having swords for arms and scissors for teeth, and intensely powerful vision for such a wee thing. To be honest, most of you probably know all about them, as their little quirks are fairly well-known. But who cares? Different species can pretend to be leaves, flowers, grass, bark, stones, and some even pretend to be ants or other insects. Their claws and teeth, or at least in the larger species, can cut human skin. Oh, and they can also stay still for god knows how long.

Sure, this was predictable. But they're all so very extremely beautiful, be it as an example of antipollinator coevolution or simply for those gorgeous colours. The pink and gold ones are especially beautiful... and no, that says absolutely nothing about me.

FINAL SUBMISSION

Aurumoth, The Fortune Moth Pokemon

Black: If an Aurumoth allows you to harvest some of the gold from it's wings, that gold is considered to bring great fortune and luck to whoever possesses it.

White: They are also called “Dowsing Flies” due to their tendency to gather above where precious metals and gems are buried. However, they are known to gather above gold and silver more than other valuables.

B2/W2: Even in situations that that require an utmost amount of attention, they are known to spontaneously stop, and stare at the night sky, as if searching longingly for something long ago lost.
--------------------
I'm finally happy with my submissions! :D

The first two entries go well with the "Fortune Moth" name, and the B2/W2 entry adds just the right amount of mysteriousness.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Edited my entries. I'll be fiddling with humor more.

Aurumoth, the Radiant Moth Pokémon

Black
: Their poor eyesight forces them to feel around with their six wings to get a sense of location. In ancient times, people copied this action as a dancing ritual.

White: Its abdomen glows with a blinding light, and for this reason, trainers' Aurumoth are typically cast as spotlights for performances.

Black 2/White 2: Its wings have consistencies like baguettes and taste like pistachios. An Aurumoth with only five wings had given a wing away to feed a famished soul.

Old entry
: It can navigate any environment regardless of its luminosity. At night, they frequently float into the side of sand dunes.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gonna take my crack at it. Going a bit dark here.

- - - - -

Aurumoth, The Seraph Pokemon

Black: Alchemists began poaching it after discovering it leaves a fine trail of gold powder behind it after it fights a fierce battle. It does not like humans as a result.

White: It can sense the feelings of humans, and is known to leave a trail of fine gold dust over the few it deems worthy of aid.

Black 2 / White 2: In ancient societies, Aurumoth gold dust and Skarmory feathers were used to fund and wage war.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Let's give it a shot...

Aurumoth, the Fallen Angel Pokemon

Black: This Pokemon was rumored to once have serviced in the heavens, but was rejected for its imperfections.

White: It likes to keep itself clean however possible. Nobody is quite sure why, though the answer might lie in its days of serving the heavens.

B2W2: Aurumoth constantly attempts to redeem itself for imagined wrongdoings, doing good deeds wherever and however it can.

I like the 'angelic' theme people thought of for this, as well as that direction with Korski's movepool. So I tried to go along with that.

Okay, let's take a crack at this. I actually enjoy reading dex entries so I might as well have a shot at writing some.

Aurumoth, the Mystic Moth Pokémon

Black: A solitary Pokémon that disguises itself by bending light with its reflective shell. It is provoked to fury if the shell is scratched or cracked.

White: In battle it can use its mighty powers of thought to calculate the trajectory of its attacks. This uses so much brainpower it loses the ability to defend itself.

Black 2 / White 2: It sometimes disguises itself as fierce legendary Pokémon to repel people, much to the chagrin of trainers who end up capturing it.

EDIT: Made edits to the B/W entries, so that they match all of its abilities a little better.

Why not, I'mma give this a go.

Aurumoth, the Seraph Pokemon

Black: It has the ability to manipulate light. It can use this ability to disguise itself in order to ambush prey, or to unleash a bright flash to escape from danger.

White: It reinforces the fragile gold in its wings with other, harder metals, though some Aurumoth prefer to keep their wings pure.

B2W2: It's golden wings have made it the source of many myths and legends. The discovery of Aurumoth is said to have formed the foundations of Alchemy.

The Black Pokedex entry explains it's ability Illusion, while the White Pokedex entry explains its ability Weak Armour. The B2W2 Pokedex entry simply provides it with more backstory, as well as hammering home the "HEY, IT'S WINGS ARE MADE OF FREAKIN' GOLD" idea.

What do you think? Too wordy?

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Aurumoth, the Celestial Pokemon

Black: Their wings are made of heavy gold. Mysteriously, the gold crumbles into dust when removed, and poachers have learned to ignore them over time.

White: This Pokemon is very difficult to train, and so most trainers release captured Aurumoth back into the wild. Rumors that they can psychically compel their trainers to release them have not been confirmed.

B2W2: For unknown reasons, this Pokemon is capable of hibernating for centuries at a time, encased in its golden wings. Past civilizations have mistaken them for mythological statues, often giving them religious significance.

--------------------

For some reason I decided to take the "angel on earth" idea and turned it into a narrative about how Aurumoth doesn't like to bother itself with humans or their petty wants or battles or anything like that. And so, there are a lot of things that "mysteriously" happen or are "unknown," and people's knowledge of Aurumoth is based on "rumors." One the one side, the Black entry is about how Aurumoth has little value to profiteers, getting into the Weak Armor business in the process. On the other side, the White entry is about how Aurumoth has little value to trainers too, referencing its Psychic powers in a self-aware sort of way. The B2W2 entry is similar to the first two and gets into the Illusion idea a little. It also brings the first two together by noting that Aurumoth spend hundreds of years essentially hiding from humanity. Aurumoth's internal clock runs on a much larger scale than humans, and so humans' cares seem much smaller and insignificant to Aurumoth.

In terms of the connection to religion, the Black entry could be interpreted as humans creating a "false idol" out of Aurumoth ("fools' gold", even), the White entry hits on elements of rumor-based "knowledge" (are Aurumoth actually difficult to train or is that just assumed because Aurumoth hypnotize their trainers?), and the B2W2 entry literally mentions people mistaking Aurumoth for religious symbols as the Aurumoth try their best to ignore them.

EDIT: I really like UllarWarlord's theme of "Fallen Angel." It's pretty clever.

Final Submission

Aurumoth, the Golden Wing Pokemon
Black: It ambushes its prey by diving from high cliffs, armored by its tough, golden wings. This surprising technique often causes small, scared Pokemon to migrate away from its hunting grounds.
White: Aurumoth's heavy, shining wings are made of pure gold. These wings can be used to cover Aurumoth's one weak spot, its fluffy thorax.
Black 2 / White 2: Aurumoth use telekinetic powers to manipulate their golden wings. If a wing is knocked away by a strong attack, Aurumoth panics, attacking everything in sight until it is retrieved.

I'm not submitting anything, just dropping by to say I'm liking Verminator's submission so far. I like how the white and B2/W2 dex enties alludes to No Guard and Illusion, respectively. Maybe the black dex entry could be rewritten so that it could relate to Weak Armor? That way the three entries are based on Aurumoth's abilities. Never knew if there's precedence on that, but it's a nice touch.

I'm used to reading the entries for information, not a laugh. One usually doesn't go to a library instead of a concert if they wish to be entertained. If humor is going to be the strongest point of slating our entries, can we at least slate the other unfunny but still well written ones?

-------------------

Aurumoth
, the Seraph Pokemon

Black:
Aurumoth are often portrayed in myths as assistants to the "Original One". They created shadows and illusions to communicate with their creator.
White: The shape of Aurumoth's shadows as they fly in the sky is often mistaken for disembodied hands. They scare off others from their territory using this deceit.
Black 2 / White 2: After millennia of not not requiring their abilities of fire to survive, Aurumoth adapted methods of flight using the aerodynamics of their husk-like wings.
Extra: According to myth, Aurumoth were said to once be spirits of fire. Their powers of kindle were extinguished when the Original One finished creating the universe.

Justification and etc.
I wanted to go for entries that involve major opposition in perspective. Black's entry looks at Aurumoth via the lore told about them, alluding to the fact that as Seraphs they could have very well been the helpers to Arceus itself. White's entry on the other hand looks at their celestial behavior in a more scientific manner. Additionally, the reference to being shaped like hands perfectly alludes to Arceus' myth of shaping the universe with its one thousand hands. Given how that thing has no hands let alone 1,000, I thought Aurumoth could easily fill in that gap that many have wondered since Arceus' unveilment.

tl;dr, Black and White entries' perspectives are total opposites that work on a totally meta-level

BW2's entry is more simplistic, as it explains why Aurumoth has Overheat and references the fact that Seraphs are supposed to be angels of fire. Two birds with one stone, basically. My extra entry is there if we decide we want to do four entries instead of just 3, as well as yet again acts as an opposite on the religious-scientific debate of Aurumoth's history. Again, it shows that only humans wrote about Aurumoth and that we don't fully comprehend it yet. That's a way to give character to a Pokemon, in my modest opinion.

Anyway, critique is gladly appreciated. I won the last poll and I'd sure love winning the second one with the best possible dex for our celestial bug.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
I'm used to reading the entries for information, not a laugh. One usually doesn't go to a library instead of a concert if they wish to be entertained. If humor is going to be the strongest point of slating our entries, can we at least slate the other unfunny but still well written ones?
Nope

I think some of you are slightly missing the point of this exercise

There is a particular style of dex entry that I'd like these to be modelled on - as I have already demonstrated - and one that has been neglected in CAP basically ever since we started taking this stage seriously. Go back and look at some of Syclant's Dex Entries, for example.

So yes, I'd like to see something that makes me chuckle. More to the point, I'm ONLY slating things that make an effort to do that. You can provide information at the same time as amusement, remember. Just note that I'm not even remotely inclined to slate anything that has been posted thus far, with the exception of Quanyails', which is at least trying.

C'est Feedback Time.

Professor Shroomish - I feel calling it the Golden Wing Pokemon showcases the wings whilst detracting the main body of the pokemon. I'm not to keen on that intention, and so I'd stick with a word or two which sums up the whole of Aurumoth. I'm more than a little sceptical on your Black entry. It seems unnatural for a pokemon with the graceful prowess of Aurumoth to be diving. Gliding or floating is much better. Even then, though, I feel you should decide on a new description; this one seems a little odd and uncharacteristic for Aurumoth. The White entry seems too ordinary. Interesting descriptions means a chance of being slated! Your Black 2/ White 2 is the only description I have no problems with.

Korski - Celestial implies space and stars, which I find unfitting for Aurumoth. Although I think the "mystery" aspect of your descriptions have the potential to become scapegoats, I'm alright with this idea for the moment. Your entries are good, but I feel you should add a "yet" before "been confirmed", to imply that it is being studied.

RabidChipmunk - I love your descriptions the most so far, good job. The "Bright Flash" description has been used too many times before however. Try brainstorming for a more unique addition to the first part of the description.

Verminator - Not too sure about these, I'm afraid. I think you're trying too hard to include the abilities. Either imply the abilities in a subtle way, or talk about Aurumoth's actions differently. The Black description makes it sound like a stroppy teenager, and the White description... is better. By the way, the second sentence on the White description should start with "Its" instead of "It".

UllarWarlord - I like the unique twist you've taken to differentiate yourself from other descriptions. Nothing much else to say.

Deck Night - Good so far, but you could include variety by describing other attributes of Aurumoth. I feel the Black entry is awkwardly worded, but I'm not sure how I can suggest to improve it.

Quanyails - Eh, too much to do with light. I think you have a knack for descriptions though (Oh, you and your big, fancy words) and so I suggest taking a new direction when describing Aurumoth.

fryfrey - Good, all-round descriptions. I particularly like the B2/W2 entry, although it does limit pre-evo art (If we decide to take that route).

Final Submission

Aurumoth
, the Holy Aura pokemon.

Black: A fully matured Aurumoth has no need to search for prey; the duty of providing food falls upon the lesser beings within the conclave.

Holier than thou (inspired by paintseagull.) Also this hints at the idea of Aurumoth's residing in groups which posses a particular social hierarchy.

White: Wild Aurumoth have been known to vibrate their wings at incredible rates, producing a melodic hum in praise of their master, Arceus.

Only humorous in that it deifies Arceus; playing on the idea of angels singing hymns of praise to God.

Black 2/White 2: When trainers discovered Aurumoth's wings were pure gold, inflation enveloped the region to a point where, for a time, one would beg to buy Magikarp for 500 Poké Dollars.

I can't make the symbol for Poké Dollars on an iPad; work with me. Also, in case you didn't realise, this is poking fun at the Magikarp salesman.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Edit 1: Format Fail.

Edit 2: The species name warmed up to me.

Edit 3: Changed the Black entry.

Swapped the White and the Black 2/White 2 entries... and I suppose I'll finalize this now.

If you don't mind me saying, I'm not really a fan of the idea of dex entries being obvious, in-your-face jokes. Even obvious joke Pokémon such as Wobbuffet, Farfetch'd and Stunfisk don't have dex entries that come off as trying to be humorous. Subtle humour is fine by me, but out and out just having the dex entry be a joke just seems inappropriate if we're trying to maintain an air of authenticity, especially on a poke with pseudo-legendary stats and a menacing appearance.

Aurumoth, the Disguise Pokemon

Black: Its wings are made of pure gold. If an Aurumoth is ever killed or a wing stolen, the crook will contract a mysterious disease with no known cure and die.

White: It will only reveal itself to a kind-hearted trainer. Whenever a cruel trainer searches for one, it disguises itself as a weak pokemon, and in some cases shoots string at the trainer as if mocking them.

B2/W2: Only kind-hearted trainers are ever able to train it. If a cruel trainer somehow captures it, it will never listen to, and usually escape from or hurt, their trainer.

I hope you like them! I tried to make them funny, and I'm not really sure if I succeeded. I will most likely edit them all, including the species name.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Hmm... might as well give this a go, I'll see what I can pull off in the humor department.

Aurumoth, the Judgement Pokemon

Black: Good luck charms are made from their golden bodies. Though usually of great value, they will become dull and brittle when around negative influences.

White: Aurumoth is said to be able to reveal anyone's true self. Pieces of their armor are often collected for charms, however sometimes Aurumoth wants these back.

B2 W2: Charms made from their shells for good luck are said to reflect the nature of their owner. Whether a good or bad fortune is granted depends on how badly Aurumoth wants its shell back.

Aurumoth, the Glorified Moth Pokemon

Black: In recent times, Aurumoth fell off its position of the most popular Pokemon because new trainers cannot stand raising it after it molts.

White: Stories say that long ago, Aurumoth was so wanted that Poke Balls ran out of stock and young trainers had to use bottles to catch it. As a result, Aurumoth became known as "the first lanturn".

Black 2/White 2: Aurumoth first came down from the skies as snowflakes. The first trainers to find it reported unusual noises, almost like words. After a while, all of the Aurumoth gave up trying and now mute.

Aurumoth, the Seraph Pokemon

Black: Its gold is often used to coat Magikarp caviar as a gourmet dish. Once eaten, many experience a sense of pure gratitude,
and a sickly sweet aftertaste.

White: Although scientists have yet to uncover its prominent attributes, it is rumoured to roam near bright lights, harshly headbutting them repeatedly.

B2/W2: Its stinger changes colour in seemingly random patterns. For this reason, they are often used as Christmas decorations, providing spectacle and wonder.

I'm pretty happy with these entries, although they are still subject to change. I feel my reasons are blatantly obvious:

Gold wings equals gold leaf
Moth equals attraction to lights (allegedly)
Stinger is shaped like a christmas decoration.

Feedback?

Aurumoth the Golden Moth pokemon

Black:
Because Aurumoth's wings are extremely heavy, it uses telepathic powers to keep them afloat. When Aurumoth loses concentration, the wings fall, sometimes harming innocent passers-by.

White: Young Aurumoth are often seen trying to fly by flapping their solid gold wings. The wings are very heavy however; this causes the Aurumoth to flop around hopelessly.

Black 2/White 2: An Aurumoth's tail produces light based on how healthy it is. An ill Aurumoth will only show a small glow whereas a healthy Aurumoth has the ability to blind whole cities.
-----------------------------

Okay, I wanted to keep my entries somewhat serious, but funny at the same time. So I put in what I would consider "serious dex format" and added a little bit of humor into it. I like these entries and I hope you do too. I may change either my white or black so they aren't both about the wings but IDK. Feedback please!

Because Aurumoth's wings are extremely heavy, it uses telepathic powers to keep them afloat. When Aurumoth loses concentration, the wings fall, sometimes harming innocent Delibird, who then sell the wings for huge profit.

Final Submission

Aurumoth, the Justice Pokemon

Black: Aurumoth hold a strong hatred of corruption and seek to expose liars whenever they can. Some say they can telepathically command a mob to overthrow a selfish king.
White: This Pokemon has been pushed towards extinction due to habitat loss and long hunting seasons. Politicians have been slow to change these practices.
B2/W2: In ancient times, Aurumoth sightings were viewed as a sign of the apocalypse. In contemporary times, their lights are often mistaken for spaceships. They have become the mascot of the History Channel.

Completely unserious:

Aurumoth, the Heavenly Pokemon
It is a common misconception that their species name comes from a relationship with angels. It actually refers to the taste of ground Aurumoth shell served with mint sauce.

Bull of Heaven

Aurumoth, the Golden Pokemon

Black: It disguises itself as a common Pokemon to avoid attention. Many trainers shoo away the very Pokemon they were hoping to catch.
White: It manipulates light to hide its strength. There are reports of young trainers giving up their journeys after trying to catch disguised Aurumoth.
B2/W2: Its heavy wings restrict its movements in battle. It is said that it sometimes encourages opponents to break the wings.

Serious WIP here. I don't love having two entries about Illusion, but I haven't been able to choose one yet. The Black entry plays on everyone's habit of running away from random Rattata and such in the games (though I've had a lot of trouble with the wording of the second sentence), while the White entry shows what might happen to a new trainer that actually wants that Rattata.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)