CAP 16 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Note: A list of all the current submissions can be found here. Thanks to Quanyails for volunteering to keep this updated!
I want to encourage everyone to read this post. Historically, we hand out the most infractions of any CAP stage in this thread. This is definitely an open environment, and we encourage critiquing and giving feedback. However, there are some vital rules that must be adhered to, so please read on.

A final art submission consists of two things: a main design and supporting material. A main design is the only required element of a final art submission; supporting material is optional. Note that all material in both the main design and supporting material must be your own. Using another piece of art for inspiration is allowed, but blatant plagiarism will result in warnings or bans depending on the severity.

Newcomers can go to the smeargle's studio resource thread for tutorials, tricks and tips on art.

Main Design

The main design is intended to follow the same general posing and layout as the "Official Art" for existing in-game Pokemon. The main design is the definitive design for a given Pokemon and should be suitable for display in the CAP PokeDex section of the CAP Website and any other CAP propaganda where a picture of the Pokemon is needed. The comparison to 'Official Pokemon Art' is only applicable to the basic content of the main design; it does not imply any standards or guidelines regarding artistic style or rendering technique.

The following rules of content must be followed for the main design:

• It must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background with no parts of the Pokemon cut off by the canvas.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (ie. Conkeldurr's pillars), then it is acceptable.
  • Any 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing may be used. It must be in full color. 3D media and photos are not allowed.
  • It must have a distinguishable outline on the entire subject in contrast to the background. No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • The maximum allowed size is 640x640 and the minimum allowed size of 320x320.
  • It must be in a compressed digital format such as .png or .jpg.

The rules for main designs will be strictly enforced. Do not make comparisons to in-game Pokemon designs or to past CAP designs to determine if your design is in compliance with these rules. Some in-game Pokemon designs and past CAP designs do not conform with the current CAP art submission rules, and emulating those designs is not an acceptable excuse for breaking the strict interpretation of the current rules.

Supporting Material

While the rules for the main design are somewhat rigid, there are almost no rules when it comes to supporting material. Action scenes, movement studies, interaction with other Pokemon, animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips are all allowed. Virtually any supporting material you can think of is allowed, though keep it tasteful. Non-art supporting material is also allowed. This includes detailed descriptions of the art, background data, stories, etc. All supporting art and information must be related to the main design in some way. This rule is intended to prevent artists from posting unrelated art in an effort to gain more attention or promote other designs or artworks.

Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post in order to be considered for the art poll. The post must be titled "Final Submission". The post should have the Main Design at the top, and supporting material (if applicable) below it. All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 150x150. Do not include full images of supporting art in the final submission. Only make one (1) final submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and reposting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.

General Posting Rules

• Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Do not spam the thread with excessive amounts of artwork over a short period of time. Apparently, some artists think they will improve their chances in the poll if they overload the submission thread with their artwork. Doing so will result in your posts being moderated.
  • Do not post inconsequential "updates" to previously posted art. Only if you have made a significant change and have not posted art recently can you post an update in the thread.
  • No post can contain more than 800x800 pixels of included art, and no single picture can be larger than 640x640. Past those limits, artists should post links to the additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 150x150. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post, even if it passes the limit.
  • All posted art must be in a compressed digital format. High-resolution images will be deleted.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. Such posts are a weak attempt to "reserve" an idea, and serve no constructive purpose.
  • No design should be posted by anyone other than the original artist and no submitted artworks should be modified by anyone else for any reason.
  • Do not post images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to do your idea. This isn't an idea thread. It's fine for artists to post their own inspiration as supporting material.
  • No bumping or begging, especially for feedback. If your design is any good, people will comment on it. If your design gets no feedback, then your design is not very good. Consider the silence to be your feedback.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or say that anything "is clearly going to win". It's fine to post praise or support for an artwork, but don't make a statement indicating the results of a poll that has not been conducted. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not post that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". Such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted. There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon, so don't act like you know what a Pokemon should look like. If you like or dislike a design, that's fine, just say that.
  • Do not ask when this thread will close. CAP threads do not follow a set timetable. If you want to know the overall sequence of events in a CAP then go to the CAP website and read the process guide.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. This isn't a tutorial thread.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the main design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post. If the final submission contains no significant supporting material, then no link will be included in the poll below the main design. Art submissions for the art poll will be selected in a manner to be determined by the topic leader. There is no process for overturning the topic leader's decision. If you are not comfortable with this stipulation, then do not make an art submission. Do not post any complaints here or in later threads.

--------------------

Below is CAP 5 so far:

Name: Type Equalizer

Description: A pokemon whose presence in the metagame increases the usage of one or more underused types and simultaneously decreases the usage of one or more overused types.

Justification: Take a look at the OU usage statistics for January and you'll see that 9 out of the top 10 pokemon have either steel, water, dragon or fighting as one of their types, and extending it to the top 20 shows 16/20 with those types. We should also be asking ourselves why these trends exist so strongly and what can be done about them. In creating this CAP, we'd have to discuss in depth many different aspects of what makes a type and opinions can ultimately being tested in the playtest.

Questions To Be Answered:

• Is a types usefulness relative to the metagame or is it intrinsic? (Ie. Can any type be the "best" type given the right circumstances or do type match-ups, available STAB moves etc mean some types will always be better than others?)
  • What exploitable weaknesses do "good" types in OU have? Are their currently pokemon that can exploit them and if so, how do they function differently to CAP5?
  • How (if at all) will the targeted types adapt to the situation created? Will people choose different movesets, abilities, etc or will they just use them more/less? How is this linked to the way CAP5 functions strategically?
  • What effects will the changes on certain types' presence have on the metagame?
  • Which members of the targeted types will benefit and suffer from this most and why?
  • By creating CAP5, have we learnt any new ways to counter good types or use bad types?
Typing: Grass / Dark
Primary Ability: Harvest

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

Going with 2 designs again. I had a third one, but it didn't seem very popular so here are mine for now.

The Cactus Flower was really based off a silhouette I really liked when I started sketching so I developed it further. I kind of "revived" my other entry for Necturna with the Bleeding Heart Vampire dude.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
With permission from Birkal and DougJustDoug.

Adams

Agile Turtle

Antarctros

Arkeis (Final Submission)

Athel (Final Submission)

Birkal (Final Submission)

BlueConcept (Final Submission)

Blue Frog

Buffalo_Wings

Bummer

Calad

Cartoons! (Final Submission)

Cheeno (Final Submission)

Cheeseball504

Chomz

Chris900

Collol

CommanderZorvox (Final Submission)

CyzirVisheen (Final Submission)

Doran Dragon (Final Submission, invalid)

DougJustDoug (Final Submission)

Dracoyoshi8 (Final Submission)

elcheeso (Final Submission)

Eol (Final Submission)

erisia

Furosuto

Golurkyourself (Final Submission)

Green Dweeb (Final Submission)

Gun6

gwheeler17

HappyJames

Harle (Final Submission)

Hollymon (Final Submission)

invalio

Juicy Fruit

Kadew (Final Submission)

KoA (Final Submission)

levren

Magistrum (Final Submission)

mcFlareon (Final Submission)

Menshay (Final Submission)

Mos-Quitoxe (Final Submission)

Myaora

Nastyjungle

NeLLY979

noobiess (Final Submission)

nov

OldManDugan (Final Submission)

Orivexes

paintseagull (Final Submission)

pianosaurus

pkmn-taicho321

Quanyails (Final Submission)

Original post:
(First drawing)
My current design-in-progress. It's gone through many variations from its original design (when it was Electric/Dark and very reaper-y). Currently, it's a treant with ginkgo blades and shelf fungus ribs.

QuimicVital

RegiFlame150

Rocket Grunt (Final Submission)

Scorpio

ShadowLime (Final Submission, invalid)

Shanimanim

ShyGuy1221 (Final Submission)

Steampowered

sucker_puncher

the flexistentialist (Final Submission)

TheSilverShadow

The Steam Punk

Timeblaze

Trollpriest

VYT219 (Final Submission, invalid)

Wyverii (Final Submission)

XDaylon

Yilx (Final Submission)

YourFavoriteEgyptian

ZirraNova

zyrefredric

This time around, I present to you a grumpy garlic bulb! (who looks like wario completely intentionally)

Electing to avoid grim darkness this time, I decided to go for the more visceral, boisterous bully aspect of the Dark type, akin to Krookodile or Honchkrow. Not for nothing does this fellow have an evil, Wario-style moustache!

other arts here!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
As many of you know, I am doing a new rendition of a design I made a year ago in CAP 2. In my notebooks, I've done a bunch of edits, improvements, and strategies to make it look more Dark-type. Also, I've been without a pen for my tablet for a few months, but I finally bucked up and bought one. You can click on any of the thumbnails below to see the supporting art I drew back then. Again, I have a lot more to add and edit, so sit tight until my pen comes in the mail. Once it arrives, I'll show you all the updates I've added. Let me present to you: Cornmon!

Very rough WIP, based on the Drosera genus of carnivorous plants (which by a lucky coincidence are also named sundews). (The x4 weakness to bugs might be an issue for the concept, though.)

I'm planning a green/red colour scheme, see the pictures on the above article for examples.

Please ignore the inconsistent hand designs since they're not finalized at all, though the ones in the upper right right now seem the most interesting. I currently lack good ideas for its legs, face, neck area and body, though the body shape feels decent.

The five tentacles on the head and the hands, are meant to vaguely represent sun rays, plus they ended up being similar to a jester's hat and reinforcing the whole dark/creepy clown aspect.

Uh, I guess I'll be the combo breaker and post my WIP design that is more animal than plant-based! Still working on something different to do with the tail/s, they could use something less Tauros-like/more interesting.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Bouncing around some ideas but here is one that's in my comfort zone. For now it's just a mockup in my own style, I still need to pokemon-ify it, but haven't figured out how I want to do that yet. It's based on a binturong (though a bit too heavily for now - need to stylize more) and is supposed to be moss-covered.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
use
tags hollymon

This is snakey. Based off the snake in the Garden of Eden who tempted Adam and Eve with the forbidden fruit. Seemed dark to me :B

More on this later.

use
tags hollymon

snake

This is snakey. Based off the snake in the Garden of Eden who tempted Adam and Eve with the forbidden fruit. Seemed dark to me :B

More on this later.
OOO, I love Adam and Eve references.

Might I suggest adding arms and legs? The Snake in the Adam and Eve story is often depicted with arms and legs, which were taken from him after the events of the Garden of Eden story.

wow this thread fills up fast.

It's a deer-thing being overgrown by some kind of cursed wooden armour I guess. I'll have to simplify this A LOT, which is a problem I seem to have far too often - too much detail and not much of a concept. We'll see.

Comments: TBH, none of the concepts so far really strike me as particularly impressive, but then again it's still the first day. Pkmn-taicho's is probably my favourite so far, though it reminds me quite strongly of Victreebel and Mawile for some reason. Paintseagull's looks a bit bland ATM, but could become the one to beat after adding some cartoon-y flair and a bit of clean up. Keep it up guys!

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I really just want to submit my Tiki monster that I used for CAP13. I mean, it's already complete. Doesn't it look Grass/Dark to you?

I'm working on a sketch of another one just in case:

It's a Tanuki. A popular part of Japanese folklore, often depicted wearing a leaf on its head, and has a mischievous nature.

With such brilliant artworks we're getting this early on, it takes a great deal of courage for me to share this humble work of mine.

Very simple concept. A tree that caught on fire, thus turning its branches into charcoal. The branches resemble scary gnarled hands. It has elements of the Grass/Dark typing, and with the sunny weather (forest fire?).

@Arkeis above, I remembered how I was a fan of that Tiki monster of yours, and I can easily see it as Grass/Dark as well.However, that Tanuki is looking splended, specially with the right color scheme!

So I started off with the concept of a moss-covered bigfoot, and I before I knew it, I had a bear.

I guess this requires a bit of explanation--I like the idea of Dark-typing to be more sneaky and mischievous rather than ill-tempered and "evil", so I went with a rogue-esque concept of a bear that likes to steal food for its young/other forest pokemon.

I've been calling it "Picklebear" too. (EDIT: Not actually a "pickle"-based mon! I just liked how his arms reminded me of pickles. I mean, if you like that interpretation, I will run with it!)

@zyrefredric I love the idea of a tree monster, a la old fairy tales.

@Orivexes if he's gonna be called picklebear, he might need some greater connection with pickles mayhaps?

"type equilizer"

well, i think i know the perfect concept for this. Baphomet. This is just kind of a preliminary sketch ive got a lot of work to do for this guy.

Crit, Im not trying to control anyone here so please dont take it the wrong way
Yilx - I personally like the cactus flower, but id like to see you try to make it less humanshape. the bleeding heart one is pretty cool, but its a little hard to see whats going on with face.

Quan - I...really like this, its really cool looking, i would like to see you try different types of blades for the arms, just to see what the posibilities are.

Mos - personally, im not too thrilled with this, but as a design it has some merit. The nose and the mustache seem odd.

Birkal - Cornmon is cool, but lets see what else you can come up with?

Menshay - Sundew hell yes, looks cool, but as you said, the bug weakness kind of puts off the idea, but id say continue working on this, and maybe try a few other designs

Taicho - great art, cool design, already have carnivine. Definitely keep working on this, but as with the above, why not try other ideas as well?

Elcheese - is it just a leaf covered sabertooth ram? i mean thats cool, but i suggest looking up some mythical creatures, have you heard of the barnacle sheep? check em out.

Paint - wow thats really cool. is there any reason its dark though? I havent read up on the animal yet, but i'd say it looks pretty cool. keep going.

Draco - this has alot of potential, and id love to see you continue to expand on this.

Hollymon - cute, but seems a bit uninspired. I get the holly, but why is it dark type? can you give us some more details on its concept?

Chomz - Damn nice, you have some good art there. i like the concept too, its simple and effective. Look up the Windigo, maybe see if you cant bring some inspiration from there?

Arkeis - id say go with the tiki monster, but dont give up on the tanuki.

Zyre - looks more like a grass/fire type, not to mention a tree trunk is a bit uninspiring. Look up treants, maybe try to make it more golem like or something.

orivexes - cute, definitely cute, looks rather...generic. though that my personal opinion, but thats because it reminds me of other grass panda pokemon. Why not try raccoons?

Green - looking cute, but it also looks like a prevo of something. im afraid i dont know where you can go from here, but perhaps you could try something with puppets?

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I really just want to submit my Tiki monster that I used for CAP13. I mean, it's already complete. Doesn't it look Grass/Dark to you?

it's funny because we were talking on #cap about how a few of the cap2 subs could be resubmitted with no changes and make a strong showing and yours topped the list

do iiiiiit

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I wanted to make a mon that was dark by concept rather than by design, so I wanted to avoid black and grey colors and evil looks. I also wanted to draw my concepts from biblical and mythological history.

My main dark type inspiration was the story from the bible of the false idol made for the Israelites by Aaron which took the image of a golden calf (called the sin of the calf). I equated sin and false idols with the opposite of god, aka "evilness" or "darkness".

Images of the golden calf: 1 2 3 4

As can be seen from a couple of those photographs, often times cows were worshipped and adorned with laurels and flowers, which is where I drew the imagery for a grass type.

Images of cows wearing fauna: 1 2 3 4

I chose to make the bull stand upright, akin to the minotaur, the evil half bull man of Greek mythology. I also gave it a pattern reminiscent of a tree, specifically referencing the original sin that occured at the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

yay

btw there are too many mons based on the feminine figure already, lets get some mens up in here

Here is my submission. The cave dwelling Xenomushroom. Critique is appreciated. I'll try to upload a face view when I get the chance.

Edit: Updated post here.

This thread fills up so quickly it's ridiculous

Um so, this is my initial sketch, it's a mink/fisher/marten, it uses boreal based plants because I feel like most grass type Pokemon are all southern based plants

Comments and criticism are appreciated

This is a design I'm working on based on a gypsy... It's essentially a living lily pad that hides its face in the big fuzzy pollen puff in the center of its flower. Insects come to eat, but are instead eaten. It's got a bad attitude though, heh, being based partly on a gypsy fortune teller. Just like it tricks bugs, it tricks people by leading them to believe it can see the future in its "magical" dew drop (crystal ball). It can't really see into the future, it just takes whatever form of payment one gives a fortune telling Pokemon and runs away. It has a strong distaste for other living things, which is partly why it enjoys swindling them so much. The lower half is a disguise used to fool humans. It uses a hollowed out nut to look like a face and wears its lily pad body like a hat, with two long leaf-life appendages as arms... All of these things being controlled by its roots.

Feedback very much welcome, of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)