CAP 5 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my moon Pokemon was totally ignored.
I'll start from scratch.

What do you think of my idea?
Ok so ummm.... I just decided an evolution line based on chess pieces is the most ingenious idea yet. Pawn--Bishop/Rook/Knight--Queen/King.

AMAZING!!!!

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Ok so ummm.... I just decided an evolution line based on chess pieces is the most ingenious idea yet. Pawn--Bishop/Rook/Knight--Queen/King.

AMAZING!!!!
You don't gonna believe me, but, I had the same idea xD

Male Pawn Pokemon evolved to King Pokemon, and Female Pawn Pokemon evolved to Queen Pokemon, in the picture...xD

Well, just a coincidence.

By the way, I have another Easter Island Pokemon color scheme.

Well, I need some c+c b4 I get to color this guy....

Cartoons! helped me. We were brainstorming to find out which color scheme would suit him best. (Thanks for all the help Cartoons!)

V.I.P.S (very important post scriptum) This rendition fully belongs to Cartoons!

P.S.: Here's the original:
This is great I like it a lot, including the coloring too, reminiscent of a bald eagle , which is something we haven't seen in Pokemon.

The coloured version of my original design.

A slightly modified version with less crystals.

And finally, a brand new design: a sand serpent. Like a sea serpent, but in the desert.

Any comments?

Wichu just stole my vote completely. It gives an air of menacing reptilian-like stone, without appearing too draconic.

Wichu, is there any chance I can touch it up a bit on Photoship? I have this compulsion to edit all the awesome bits of art I see.

Sand Serpent entire head seem to be modeled after Giratina/Dialga/Palkia. That actually work out great in my mind because it give it a powerful and mysterious feel to his overall appearance. My only compliant is it's tail. Maybe instead of a huge orb, try a crystal tail blade or stinger. A tail blade won't make it look like a physical sweeper, and put some flare into it.

And finally, a brand new design: a sand serpent. Like a sea serpent, but in the desert.

Any comments?

Very nice. I like them both. For some reason though, the serpent is reminding me too much of Giratina origin form.

They're both gold around the eyes then the eyes are both black and red, maybe a different coloring would help?

Deucalion: Feel free!
And by the way, I based small parts of it on Steelix/Gyarados/Kingdra/Rayquaza/Ampharos, then just made it Rock-type o_o

Edit@Bluekikatana: What colours would you suggest?

Edit2@GT: Okay, I'll try it out after school.

I was actually thinking it needed a different colour scheme too, as it looked like a ground type. Perhaps making the gems a crystal blue, then the main snake an earthy brown-red colour would be better.

Feel free!

Edit@Bluekikatana: What colours would you suggest?

If you can digitally color it that would help a lot to try different color themes and just give you an idea first of what looks better on it. The gold and black, with a head like that will keep looking like a pre-evo of Giratina, so like Gothic Togekiss said maybe even the head could be changed a bit. Nice designs though, you got the Pokemon style down, just go for whatever satisfies you as an artist.

The gold and black, with a head like that will keep looking like a pre-evo of Giratina, so like Gothic Togekiss said maybe even the head could be changed a bit.
LOL, I never said it looked like a pre-evo form of Tina though a baby form of Tina would be cute. I said it looked like it was modeled after him, which I now is not true lol. I do agree with you that a slight color change would help and how he got the Pokemon look down.

I like the Easter island Pokemon since the beginning.
But now its awesome.

I cant believe my Pokemon got a bit attention.
Do you have an idea of how to improve it.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I posted three sketches earlier. I decided to go with my favorite -- the "Planet Pokemon". Unlike many of my previous CAP designs, I don't have a lot of backstory to go with this one. I just thought that this design captures the essence of a fast, special attacking, rock-type pokemon.

Looks like the goggle eyes are back from the first one doug :P

My favourites so far would have to be either Kopies, Regi's or Dougs.

Well I know I'm not going to win with this but might as well get you guys to give me some crit. I'm new here and yeah:

If you guys say it's good I just might colour and shade it :D

It seems that despite my warning to disregard any perceived similarities to Rapidash, there will be people who get caught up on the fiery mane + tail.

Let me begin by saying: making an equine not look like Rapidash is frickin' hard. Their bodies are what they're supposed to mimic, only with adornments that make them different enough to pass as Pokémon.

The inspiration for my concept was Eohippus, the "dawn horse." IIRC, it ran around on mountain/rocky type places and was a neat li'l fragile dude. Incorporating crystal themes mentioned elsewhere in the thread, I took it's "dawn" inspiration and made it give off a light that I imagined would be pretty sweet to see running around on a mountainside @ night. Having just crystals looks weird. Kind of like Girafarig. He needs a mane of light, and I decided to go ahead and make it of flames so that it would have shape and direction (you really can't control a general glow to form a mane and tail, now can you?).

To avoid to many similarities, you will notice that I made the shape of both mane and tail completely different. They are shorter, more pony-like, and are of less violent flame.

That being said, the judgement should not be based upon similarities. Such standards would have struck down the inclusion of Beautifly, Seviper, Beautifly, and Mothim, among others.

i've seen a lot of posts in this thread saying something along the lines of "the latis have wings, and they arent flying types"

if you stop to think about all the winged pokemon with levitate you may find that thats because all these pokemon are dual typed. latias is dragon/psychic, flygon is dragon/ground. mobviously nintendo didnt want to change these pokemons typing in order to make the wings make sense, hence levitate.

the reason this concept doesnt translate so well to our little rock type is due to it being voted as PURE rock. in this respect, theres an extra type slot to make our pokemon a flying type if it has wings.

the concept of wings is fine, as some people have pointed out, we could put flavour text in to say that the pokemon is too heavy to use them. Levitate however, should only be on pokemon who are in fact actually levitating this time, like the pokemon with the claws and the full evo line (sorry, i forget who drew it). and the saturn concept above

i also know this post will probably be disagreed with and ignored, but i feel that this dose of common sense should be put out there

Eh. I suppose, once again, my idea/design/drawing is cool, but not the right thing for the CAP at this point, am I right? I'm trying to draw it again, cleaner, but honestly... I'm liking my original drawing in the pose better, despite being drawn on lined paper.

(does no one else think anything of it, of the meteor/comet fast design?)

I really like this one, a lot. If you add a bit more detail to the tail (like crystals in your first one), it will have my vote for sure.

@ Caladbolg: Don't take it the hard way, I'm just letting my point get through. It's an amazing drawing, I just don't feel like its pokemony enough. If my drawings don't look like a pokemon, oh well? Everyone has their own opinions, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)