CAP 16 CAP 5 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of a close battle, Dracoyoshi8's snake convinced Yilx's pineapple banchou to eat itself or something. Now we strive to stop calling CAP 5 "CAP 5" and give it a name! Now, keep in mind that we have changed up the rules from previous projects. Here they are:

RULES:

Legal name submissions must meet the following standards
  • Names must start with a capital letter.
  • Names cannot be longer than 10 letters.
  • Names can only contain the following characters:
    • Letters A-Z
    • Numbers 1-9
    • Dash (-)
    • Apostrophe (')
    • Period (.)
    • Space
  • No more than two capital letters can be included in the name, and capital letters cannot be consecutive.
  • A maximum of two non-letters can be included in the name, and a maximum of one non-letter of each type can be included (ie. You can't have two numbers, or two apostrophes, but you could have one number and one apostrophe)

Work In Progress (WIP) Names can be posted at any time for comments from the community.

No more than three WIP Names can be posted by any individual person through the entire course of the submission thread. This limit applies to ALL posts made by a single person, even if previous posts are edited or deleted. This limit is intended to curb the tendency for some submitters to spam the thread repeatedly with lists of Names. This detracts from other submissions and makes it difficult for commenters to survey the submission thread.

Do not bump your WIP names by posting them repeatedly, or making minor spelling changes of a letter or two. Bumping will result in the disqualification of all names by the offender. Editing or deleting bump posts will not prevent disqualification.

Only ONE Final Submission can be made per person.

Name Final Submissions can only be posted after a CAP Moderator posts in the thread that final submissions are open. Any final submission posted prior to the Moderator notification post, will disqualify the submitter from the poll entirely. Even if the offending post is edited later or deleted, the submitter will still be disqualified for the remainder of the thread. This ensures that all submitters have equal opportunity to post final submissions without anyone unfairly "jumping the gun".

Final submissions must provide one sentence (25 words maximum) explaining the etymology of the name.

Final submissions must provide a common English pronunciation and a pronunciation in IPA. The common pronunciation can be made in whatever format you feel best conveys the pronunciation to most English speakers. For information about IPA and processing words into IPA read this guide: IPA For English. There are also numerous phonetic translation tools online that can help.

Name Final Submissions must be posted exactly in the following format and in the following exact order:
  • The first line of the post must have the words "Final Submission" in bold on its own line. No other text may be included before the bold heading.
  • A blank line
  • The Name submission in bold.
  • A blank line
  • A one line description of the etymology of the name or why it is appropriate for our Pokemon.
  • A blank line
  • "Pronounced: <common English pronunciation>"
  • "IPA: <IPA pronunciation>"
Below the Final Submission you can post other comments, explanations, etc.

Example final submission:
Final Submission

Syclant

A combination of "Icicle" + "Ant".

Pronounced: "SICKLE-ant"
IPA: sɪkəlænt

This name was originally submitted by Lawman on the very first CAP project. I think it's a great name, even though almost everyone mispronounces it!
Any Final Submission that does not follow the proper format will be disqualified.

Names! Let's do it!

CAP 5 so far:

Name: Type Equalizer

Description: A pokemon whose presence in the metagame increases the usage of one or more underused types and simultaneously decreases the usage of one or more overused types.

Justification: Take a look at the OU usage statistics for January and you'll see that 9 out of the top 10 pokemon have either steel, water, dragon or fighting as one of their types, and extending it to the top 20 shows 16/20 with those types. We should also be asking ourselves why these trends exist so strongly and what can be done about them. In creating this CAP, we'd have to discuss in depth many different aspects of what makes a type and opinions can ultimately being tested in the playtest.

Questions To Be Answered:

• Is a types usefulness relative to the metagame or is it intrinsic? (Ie. Can any type be the "best" type given the right circumstances or do type match-ups, available STAB moves etc mean some types will always be better than others?)
  • What exploitable weaknesses do "good" types in OU have? Are their currently pokemon that can exploit them and if so, how do they function differently to CAP5?
  • How (if at all) will the targeted types adapt to the situation created? Will people choose different movesets, abilities, etc or will they just use them more/less? How is this linked to the way CAP5 functions strategically?
  • What effects will the changes on certain types' presence have on the metagame?
  • Which members of the targeted types will benefit and suffer from this most and why?
  • By creating CAP5, have we learnt any new ways to counter good types or use bad types?
Typing: Grass / Dark
Threats: Link
Primary Ability: Harvest
Secondary Ability: Infiltrator
Stats: 115 HP / 100 Atk / 60 Def / 40 SpA / 130 SpD / 55 Spe

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I have two ideas I'm juggling in my head for a 'proper' name for Snapple:

Mallure (Mahl - LOOR, ˈməˈlʊr)
Mal + Lure/Allure

'Mal' and 'malus' are great words to use for this concept, as they can have a dual meaning of 'apple' or 'evil'. The serpent, in pop Christian culture, lured Eve with an apple as the perpetrator of the original sin. Mallure references this origin.

Decerpent/Desirpent/Decirpent (Dee - SIR - pent, dɪˈsərpənt)
Deceive + Desire + Serpent

Not sure which spelling gives the most indication of its origins (if anyone favors one variation, mention it), but this name is more obvious with the inclusion of 'serpent' in its name as well as some words that reference the sinister serpent's temptation.

Let's do what Dracoyoshi8 wanted to go with.

Snapple.
Pronounced: SNA-pull
IPA: Snæpəl

Derived from Snake and Apple, for obvious reasons. Really rolls off the tongue, and Dracoyoshi8 suggested it (as a sort-of joke, but still). Surprised I managed to nab it :P

Hissin (Hiss + sin) was also thought up by me, then Matezoide over IRC suggested Hissyn, as Ys make everything cooler.

Frither
A combination of Fruit + Slither
Pronunciation: Frith-er
IPA pronunciation: frɪðər
Fruit + Slither
Fruit, obviously, referencing the fruit born from its tail. Slither referencing the way serpents move.
Also has the bonus of sounding a little bit like Fritter, as in Apple Fritter

Bacamba
A combination of Baca + Mamba
Pronunciation: Bock - om - bah
IPA: bɑxɑmbɑ
Baca is latin for berry. Berries are the item it will be harvesting the most. Mamba is a type of venomous snake. In fact, the Black Mamba is often purported as being the world's deadliest snake.

Nagaceit
A combination of Naga + Deceit
Pronunciation: nah-gah-seet
IPA: nəɡásit
Naga is a great snake in hindu/buddhist religions. Also, Naga is a cobra in the Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling, specifically the story of Rikki-Tikki-Tavi.

For now, I'm going to submit:
Envihiss
En-Vee-Hiss
IPA: ɛnvihɪs
Envious + Hiss

Envious, for the desirable apple that will lure it's prey, and hiss, because it's a snake.

I was thinking Sertempt (serpent+temptation) pronounced "Sur-tempt"

Serpent part is for obvious reasons, Temptation is because the apple in the story of adam and eve was a temptation to Eve in which she could not resist and therefore brought on original sin. Temptation is also widely known for bringing out the 'evil' in others.

(WIP Name)

Rattleseed

-Rattlesnake + Apple seed
-Pronounced: Ra-tull-seed
-IPA:
rætʌlsid

Alright, so I think it sounds kinda silly yet, I really like this for some reason, after I started brainstorming a few names. Looking at the picture, I think Snapple looks like a rattler, in a sense, what with the Apple dangling from its tail. One could imagine that its hollow, and it should rattle said apple and the seeds inside to attract enemies!

Just curious to see what people think of it. I know the name doesnt reference anything dealing with the great mythology Dracoyoshi has provided us (sin, temptation, creation story stuff, all that jazz), rather, the name is taken more from its appearance. But, It has a good ring to it (in my mind at least).

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pythonesis

Pronunciation: Pie-thon-eh-sis
IPA: paɪθɑnəsəs

A portmanteau of python + genesis. I think it's pretty sweet in that it brings up the design justification without being too on-the-nose. It also has similar structure to the word synthesis, evoking yet more images of creation, regarding the fruit.

Also, what do people think of Pythenesis instead? I'm starting to like it a little more.

Eriserpent
Pronunciation: eh-wris-err-pent
IPA: ɪər
ɪsər
pənt

Much simpler, flows better, and demonstrates the purpose of the golden apple pretty well. However, I'm not entirely sold on including serpent in the name given serperior...

I'm toying around with two, and I'd love feedback.

Serpenumbra: (Serpent + Penumbra)
To give that feel of a dark-type, and tying in well with the "Eden" touches of dracoyoshi's snake given that there is a "midrash", or story, that states that there was no Night in the Garden of Eden, and only after being banished did Adam and Eve first feel the touch of darkness).

Viperebus: (Viper + Erebus)
Viper, obviously, and tying it together with Erebus, the Greek god of Primordial Darkness, the darkness before creation.

Edit: Make that three.

Aconithiss: Aconitum + Hiss
Aconitum is the latin genus name for Monkshood/Wolfsbane, a very poisonous plant renowned as a assassination agent in the middle ages. This is a more circumspect way of indicating the mon is a snake, so it's got a different sort of appeal.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission:

Adderice

Adder + Eris + Avarice

Pronounced: "Add - err - iss"
IPA: ædɛrɪs

Adder is a serpent. Eris is the Greek God of Chaos that tempted men with a golden apple. Avarice is an insatiable greed for riches.

Thanks to SubwayJ for help on the name base.

There's been a name I've been considering for a while, so here it is.

Disconda
(Discord + Anaconda)

This name references CAP5's malicious nature and ties to the Apple of Discord, as well as it's tendency to coil around it's prey.

Kadew

*bird sounds*
is an Artist Alumnus
Serpentice
Pronounced Surp-in-tice, rhymes with nice (not nice)
IPA: ˈsɜrp ɛnˌtaɪs
Serpent+entice

Pretty simple, serpent for snakes and the often references to the devil as a serpent, and entice meaning to lead on or tempt, fitting in well with the apple of general evil allure. And, the two words lead into eachother cleanly, no funny spellings or pronunciation acrobatics. Also, it sounds somewhat like serpentine, so that fits in too I suppose.

(My first non-art CAP sub, yay)

Ouroboa

Ouroboros + Boa
(Or-oh-boa)
The Ouroboros is symbol depicting a serpent eating its own tail, representing cyclicality or rebirth, which fits with Harvest as an ability.

Malzana

Pronunciation: (Mahl-SAH-nah)
A combination of mal (from the apple genus' malus, but also meaning evil) and manzana (spanish for apple). Plus the "z" on the name reminds me of a snake's hiss.

EDIT: thanks for feedback RavensNation

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Elapidark

A combination of "Elapid" + "Dark".

Pronounced: el-LAP-id-dark
IPA:ɛlæpɪdɑrk

Elapidae is the family of venomous snakes to which cobras belong.

Blackhawk11

one on one
Leafssifur or Leafsiffer or Leafssifer, etc

Pronounced Leaf - sih - fur

Leaf + Hiss + Lucifer

So far my favorites are: Sertempt and Mallure

Whoo hoo. Finally something I'm ok at.

OK, so my ideas so far:
Lepporochi: Leppa + orochi: Leppa is a berry, referencing its Harvesting powers, and spells "appel", which sounds close enough to "apple", when written in reverse. Orochi is [a legendary Japanese demon snake] and also a word often used in reference to snakes.
Pronunciation: Lep po RO chi
IPA: lɛ.po.ro.xi

Devicoil: Devilish + coil: Devilish references Snapple's behavior as a mischievous and deceitful Pokemon. The fact that it can also be read as "devil" further drives home the Dark-type aspect of the name. Coil is a move mostly reserved for serpentine Pokemon.
Pronunciation: DE vuh coil
IPA: dɛ.və.kɔɪl

Harvorus: Harvest + Ouroborus. Harvest is pretty obvious, I think. Ouroborus is the legendary guardian snake that eats its own tail. The Ouroborus is also a symbol of eternity, which ties into Snapple's concept of the Garden of Eden because the devil, disguised as a snake, "robbed" mankind of an eternal life in ignorance and bliss.
Pronunciation: Har VO rus
IPA: hɑr.vo.rʌs

I'm no good with IPA, so if anyone wants to help...

Apfermin (WIP)

Apfel, meaning apple in German, and vermin fused together to create "Apfermin".
Pronounced: Ahp-fuhr-min.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Time for an obvious suggestion

Applesnake

A combination of "Apple" + "Snake;" evokes Rattlesnake, which makes sense since our CAP is, well, a rattlesnake with an apple for a rattle.

Pronounced: "AP-uhl-SNEYK"
IPA: ˈæpəlsneɪk

Lucither

Loo-SITH-err

Combination of Lucifer and slither.

The more I say this name in my head the less I like it, so it will most likely change soon.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
wip:

Caspanova
casanova to go with the tempter/tress thing the snake has going on (as well as the tradition of eve being a temptress) and then asp because it's a snake...

Serrepent
serpent, repent, etc

e: can we name it 'allahconda' and give it explosion please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)