CAP 6 CAP 6 - Part 14 - Name Discussion / Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My support goes out towards Captain, Krook,and Arghonaut. I just wish Captain Krook could have been a Pokemon name. Cpt. Krook just rolls right off the tongue.

"I choose you, Cpt. Krook" - Fuck Yeah.

Hmm...lemee think now.

Naramaul.

A congregation of the Narwhal, Maul and Samus Aran, famed as a demolisher of space pirates, but you alreasy knew that.

Second name?

Scutlord.

It combines Scuttle, a motion I can see this squid using to move around, Cutlass, a pirate's sword, and either Lord, typically the high rank suffix, or Squidword, the guy from Spongebob Squarepants, who is, in fact, a squid.

I've thought of my 2nd and final suggestion. Along with Calikraken (Calico Jack or Calimari + Kraken, I've thought of Abyssquid. Abyss + Squid obviously.

Of the other names, my favourite is Nemesquid.

1.Swooktopus ( Swok-to-pus)
Sw - Sword on his arm
ooK - From its hook
topus - From Octopus

2. I like Cpt.Krook so I vote that one aswell.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
No offense to you guys, but seriously, what is up with some of the overly complex names? In my opinion, Pokemon names should be somewhat simple, lighthearted, and easily understandable. Really, (not trying to point fingers at anyone here) names such as Argiteuthis may seem innovative, but I seriously can't understand them.

So far, my favorites are Mag's Nemesquid and Beej's Brawlimari. They are both fun and simple, and the the pokemon design is very easy to understand from each part of each name.
I agree. Don't go into Latin/Greek roots, it's way too complex and won't appeal to the masses. However, something like Captain is too simple, and doesn't really make sense. I like Arghonaut really, and Scaliwack. Simple, rolls off the tongue, and sounds like something Nintendo would come up with. However, this is a bit ridiculous. I'm going to propose new regulations on this thread once this CAP is over, like the art thread. One submission, supporting info allowed separately, and no bumping it with posts like Mordock and others are doing.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm totally supporting Arghonaut.

The mythology reference is cool, and the embedded "Argh!" is just too clever and funny!

I think my favourite name so far is Calimarri. It made me laugh.

I sort of feel that this is so hard because the best name for this Pokemon would be Tentacruel, the second best would be Octillery and them are taken.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think I would name it...

Carmolée or Epolace.

Both names are amalgamations of Carapace, Mollusc and Epée, representing the parts of the pokémon; Carapace for the shell, Mollusc for the squid, and Epée for the sword.

Have been following this CAP from a distance like 4 and 5 and its been going really well. I'd just like to submit two simple names, I agree with Bass and Tennis about the whole complexion thing.

Capper
Villarine

Capper from the fact it looks like a pirate captain and villarine from the fact it looks quite evil (but cool!)

Duelusk/Duellusk (Mollusk/Mollusc + Duel)

There, not as complex and thoughtless as what Bass described and it does rolls right off the tongue...well when I say it it does.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
This came to me: Buckbaird

A buckbaird in mythology was a flying monster whose body was comprise of matted black hair and had a single huge bloodshot eye. Well, this nautical nuisance has a single eye and a beard, so the name isn't completely out of the ballpark.

Also, since we can't leave the name as is, a slight tweak to Buckbeard is probably the most awesome thing I can do to this name submission, as it keeps the origin intact while making it more appropriate to the pokemon. (Buccaneer? Check. Beard? check)

So yea, Buckbeard is my submission.

StrangerDanger

RETURN TO COMPETITIVE POKEMON ISLAND
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Posting to throw my support behind Arghonaut.

Runner's up would have to be Scuttlefist, and Nemesquid.

After seeing the names Calimelee and Brawlimari, I just can't help but think the evolution line would go like this

Scallismash-->Calimelee-->Brawlimari

Where Calimelee would be much less bulky, but be faster and have the ability Technician...>_>

On a (somewhat) more serious note, I rather like Arghonaut and Cpt.Krook for this pokemon. Nemesquid is good, too, but I don't think it emphasizes the pirate angle enough.

Anyways, good to see support for Scuttlefist (or Scutlefist or Scuttlfist or Scuttlefst, depending on if/how we enforce the 10 letter limit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)