CAP 6 CAP 6 - Part 5 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Let's not forget Gengar and Rotoms. And yes, I thought about Volt Absorb, but it would open a huge can of worms I would rather have closed.
Yes, I obviously wasn't thinking too clearly when I mentioned Weezing as the only pokemon whose ability nullifies a type weakness. But, even with several other examples, I still don't think we should turn this pokemon's Electric weakness into an immunity.

I think X-Act's Shockproof is interesting. It's not overpowered at all, and it still allows stuff like Thunder Wave. As X-Act said, it may not be powerful enough for the average CAP voter's taste. I like it, though.

Im supporting both Trace and Special Intimidate. Both are fantastic abilities on this poke and to be quite honest I am not to thrilled about all the hype that unaware is getting.

EDIT: I entirely forgot about Filter, while it totally might seem broken depending on the stats this thing gets who knows it could be balanced

According to Smogon, Unaware only nullifies the stat ups of your opponent while still allowing your Pokemon to stat up.

"If a Pokemon with the ability Unaware is the target of an attack, all of the attacker's [Special] Attack boosts are ignored. If a Pokemon with the ability Unaware is attacking, all of the defender's [Special] Defense boosts are ignored."

If I'm mistaken, let me know, but if I'm right, Unaware is only that much better because it will nix Syclant Tail Glows, etc. while still allowing for a Bulk Up or two.
oh well in that case Unaware is better than I thought it was; I give 100% support to that as an ability

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Yes, I obviously wasn't thinking too clearly when I mentioned Weezing as the only pokemon whose ability nullifies a type weakness. But, even with several other examples, I still don't think we should turn this pokemon's Electric weakness into an immunity.
It's not even an immunity, it's a healing ability. The ungodly offspring of Poliwrath and Lanturn, run to the hills :(

Wouldn't a Water version of Solid Rock be better than Filter. A decease in damage by 1/3 seem better than 1/4 unless I'm mistaken on how those abilities work.
I don't think no one has answered you but, if I recall correctly, both abilities do the same, reduce SE damage by 1/4.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I would like to put Unaware up for discussion. half of CaP are known to have sets designed to take advantage of stat boosting for sweeps.

If we give CaP6 Unware then it never has to worry about coming on what it should be checking because the pokemon has gotten too strong from boosts.This would make it an extremly reliable check compared to others.
Agreed completely. I was going to suggest it but I wasn't on last night =/. However, if we were to give it Unaware we shouldn't give it another ability, because it's way too powerful if not.

I'm going to support Unaware for reasons mentioned already. Everything besides Heatran, CBTar, and Zapdos uses Stat Boosts to sweep, so this makes it so much easier to counter them, and allows us to EV it Offensively. (Who gets more use, Gyarados or Swampert?).

Besides that, I support Motor Drive (which I've been thinking of since it became clear Water would win) and Shockproof. I find Volt Absorb to be too much of a change because it basically erases all damage Zapdos has done if it mispredicts. Shockproof I'd only support if Unaware isn't selected, because Unaware is so much more useful than Shockproof, its like we're tacking on an extra ability for fun (come on, when will we get a one ability CAP?)

If Shockproof was chosen, would it have a side effect like Heatproof's reducing Burn Damage? Like, reducing the chance to be FP, or increase the speed that it gets reduced to? (Like, 3/7 of original speed rather than 1/4)?

I think the whole electric-anything abilities are only there to counter Zapdos only. That would, in my opinion, be a tad bit wasteful since this is trying to counter the top 5 -- not Zapdos.

I guess Unaware works, but it only does good for Rev and Tyranitar (Bulk Up and Dragon Dance) in the top 5. Edit: Woops, I forgot about Strata :x I guess it counters majority then heh.

I still stand by in the order of, Filter/Special Intimidate/Intimidate.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
An interesting ability that can help it beat these threats is Forewarn. Now I know that this has been discussed in previous CAPs, but I think it may actually have some merit on CAP6 by telling you what moves these top 10 threats are running, and thus beating them by allowing you to take them on with the rest of the team. Is Scizor running Superpower or X-Scissor, is Zapdos running Heat Wave, what elemental attack Blissey is running, if Tyranitar is running Focus Punch, is Heatran running Explosion, etc. I know it's a bit farfetched, and maybe not as beneficial as some of the abilities suggested such as Shockproof or Unaware, but it still has its merits.

No Guard is also a very interesting ability on this pokemon. Of course I'm not suggesting we give it Dynamicpunch, but No Guard will nevertheless help with attacks such as Hydro Pump, Cross Chop and Blizzard. It could be a serious consideration to make this pokemon a threat to the things its meant to counter without having to give it over the top attacking stats.

Solid Rock and Filter (which do have the exact same effect incidentally) will make taking Thunderbolts from the likes of Zapdos and Blissey a lot easier. Although neither Solid Rock or Filter really fit the aesthetics of the pokemon, it won't be too hard to simple rename them if we must.

And one last lol idea - Torrent. This could let it really break past things like Zapdos and Revenankh with boosted Hydro Pump / Surf if it needs to. Just a suggestion of an ability that is not too overpowering, yet still has its benefits.

LR.

oooo.... No Guard Hydro Pumps, Cross Chops and Blizzards??? Okay, I'm definitely supporting that because move BP is more important than the actual stat in determining damage.

You got my full support on Unaware and No Guard. Unaware has been discussed to death about it's usefulness and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't have it by now. No Guard because like what Hyra said, a move's BP is more important than a Pokemon's actual stat when it comes to determining damage. It also because throwing around 100% accurate Blizzards, Cross Chops, whatever would be wicked awesome.

I like No Guard because of it's tradeoff between having all you moves be full accurate, and having all your opponent's moves be likewise. It will help balance it out.

Time for my view on the subject.
Unaware is a very nice idea, as many others have said, so I support this.
I don not think all of these Electric-related abilities are good ideas. They are just there for Zapdos, and this doesn't need to counter all 10 Pokemon, thats what the other five Pokemon are for.
No-Guard; are you kidding me? I really think this is a bad idea. The merits are obvious but the fact other Pokemon can abuse it scares me.
Filter could be very useful, but not as good as some other abilities. I support this, but not fully.
Forewarn, however, is the ability I most full support. The benefits are amazing, and it has no flavour issues in my opinion.
Anticipation is like a beaten down Forewarn, and I don't think its that useful, though I like this ability.
Frisk is the item version of Forewarn, and I support it just as I support Forewarn. What can I say; knowing the opponent's strategy before-hand is sexy.
Synchronize is interesting too, though not that good, but I wanted to bring it up.
Trace is very neat, and I support it, not only for the competitive value but for the fact it could be fun as hell (if somewhat broken.)

Legacy Raider

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What exactly is going to be abusing No Guard againt CAP 6? Ok, so Heatran has a 100% Fire Blast, Zapdos has a 100% Heat Wave, and Tyranitar won't be missing with Stone Edge. CAP 6 resists all those attacks. It's not like if CAP 6 got No Guard Blissey will start running Thunder or something.

LR.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I believe No Guard would be disastrous.

Tyranitar's Stone Edge and Heatran's Fire Blast, especially boosted, only have the drawbacks of Low PP and imperfect accuracy. Every time you switch in you would be guaranteed to get pegged by them. I doubt this will like Burn any more than any other physically oriented Water or Fighting pokemon, and No Guard would open the door to Will-O-Wisp. Even Revenankh's primary STAB attack has 90 Acc.

Resistance is futile. Tyranitar pegs you with a CB Stone Edge, then runs away. Even Hariyama, the definitive Tyranitar counter can't switch into boosted Stone Edges forever. Same with SpecsTran, and that has a Burn chance to boot. Last thing you want is to be burned when you come into Fire Blast. Say goodbye to reliable Heatran countering.

In order to counter the Top 10, it would be helpful if you didn't always get pegged by every Stone Edge, Fire Blast, Hammer Arm, Blizzard, and Focus Blast, and for status, you always get nailed by Will-O-Wisp and Toxic. I don't care how good your stats are, unless you're running Rest Talk These statuses will kill your walling ability.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Tyranitar's Stone Edge and Heatran's Fire Blast, especially boosted, only have the drawbacks of Low PP and imperfect accuracy. Every time you switch in you would be guaranteed to get pegged by them. I doubt this will like Burn any more than any other physically oriented Water or Fighting pokemon, and No Guard would open the door to Will-O-Wisp. Even Revenankh's primary STAB attack has 90 Acc.

Resistance is futile. Tyranitar pegs you with a CB Stone Edge, then runs away. Even Hariyama, the definitive Tyranitar counter can't switch into boosted Stone Edges forever. Same with SpecsTran, and that has a Burn chance to boot. Last thing you want is to be burned when you come into Fire Blast. Say goodbye to reliable Heatran countering.

In order to counter the Top 10, it would be helpful if you didn't always get pegged by every Stone Edge, Fire Blast, Hammer Arm, Blizzard, and Focus Blast, and for status, you always get nailed by Will-O-Wisp and Toxic. I don't care how good your stats are, unless you're running Rest Talk These statuses will kill your walling ability.
I wholeheartdly agree with you, Deck. I think everybody here forgot No Guard is a double-edged sword.

And that's why I'm with the Unaware crew. The unholy offspring of Poliwrath and Bibarel!

I totally agree, No Guard would destroy the concept. I support Unaware and Marvel Scale more, together they would give the Pokemon two very different sets, both could ebenfit the metagame.

re: No Guard guys wouldn't Compound Eyes do more or less the same without Deck's concerns and being a remake of Machamp.

Legacy Raider

Yeah, compound eyes works great too. I just wanted something that can let it abuse high powered special attacks so it would not need so high a SpA stat to still take down things like bulky Zapdos / Celebi, etc.

I just thought No Guard fitted it better, and that the 100% accurate opponents' moves would be a sort of check for it. But I guess people don't like that now. Funny, before Deck Knight posted, everyone was up for No Guard.

meh

I think Volt Absorb is a definite option. It can check Zapdos, and even though Electivire's not in the top 10, it would still be a threat. also, i don't know if you guys saw the art submissions, bu Caladbolg's awesome Trident Harpooner would go great with Volt Absorb.

Technician would be a good idea. So far all the stat spreads have the pokemon looking a bit slow, so a cool movepool option would be to give it Aqua Jet and Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
How can any of you justify Volt Absorb again? Just to check Zapdos? Sorry man but there are no Electrivires on the CAP Server, you're more likely to find a Rotom form or HP Electric (Bulky Water). It seems tacked on and arbitrary to me, not unlike Mountaineer on Syclant, which I am still vehemently against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)