CAP 8 CAP 8 - Concept Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name: Leave a Legacy

Description: A Pokemon that cannot be directly countered but forces the opponent to think around it because after it faints, there may be other consequences.

Justification: This is also a good way to learn about how underused abilities and moves such as those mentioned in the explanation can affect the metagame. All of the CAP Pokemon that we've created so far have SOME type of longevity, but this would allow us to test how a quick come-in-do-something-and-die Pokemon would work.

Explanation: By means of abilities such as Unburden, Aftermath, or possibly a custom ability, moves such as Memento, Lunar Dance, Explosion, Selfdestruct, Healing Wish, a custom move, or a combination of such. This is NOT meant to be a good suicide lead, but do a very similar thing midgame or lategame. For example, if the Pokemon has Aftermath as an ability and his lategame sweeper is on a roll, you might be able to use Memento, lowering both attack stats AND leaving him with 25% less HP. This way, it gives you another chance to end his sweep. The opponent would not be able to outright go and attack the Pokemon because these consequences of, requiring more thinking on his part, but in order to use this, you must know what you're doing.

I feel like this is kinda on the fence between allowed and unallowed but I'll post it anyways.

---

Name: Neglected Ability

Description: This pokemon will have an ability [or two] that is currently undervalued (but possibly very helpful) in the metagame but isn't used because the other pokemon with this ability don't have the stats or movepool to make it work.

Justification: This is probably one of the best ways to go about learning about the metagame. Seeing why certain abilities don't see much play and what we can do to make them more used is an easy way to learn about the metagame. There is also the possibility that this pokemon will have a beneficial effect on the metagame and/or will create a new niche in the metagame (or take the niche of an old pokemon that didn't see much play).

Explanation: There are plenty of abilities that we can base a concept around that don't see much play. I'm thinking things like Shield Dust (we all know how much I want a good pokemon to abuse this!), Shed Skin (though Rev has this covered imo), Simple, hell even things such as Solar Power or Forewarn. It would be silly of me to try and list out all the abilities we could use for this.

I like this concept because it doesn't restrict typing or stats or whatever. There are so many possible directions this could go in we aren't narrowing too much down, but at the same time I feel it provides just enough direction to keep the pokemon on track.

---

^__^

Concept: Berserker
General Description: A fast attacker that gets stronger when it takes damage.

Justification: No Pokemon in the game can benefit from having a large number of things that 2HKO it. Nothing benefits from Stealth Rock. This concept would be able to excel under conditions which are less than optimal for most Pokemon, thus filling a unique niche in the metagame.

Explanation: It would add type diversity to Hail/Sandstorm teams, assuming of course that it wasn't Ice, Rock, Ground, or Steel. Water would be an excellent typing- it takes normal damage from Stealth Rock, Spikes, Sandstorm, and Hail, while it's got good resistances and only two weaknesses to potentially elevate 2HKOs to OHKOs. The benefiting from damage would have to be a new ability, although it could use Reversal. The Water typing would also allow it to deal with Heatran and Scizor nicely, as it could be switched in on a Fire Blast or Bullet Punch and survive, provided Scizor hadn't been allowed to set up. It would need to have good Speed, but otherwise could have decent stats all around- Defenses and the attack stats it would use would make sense to start out in the 75-90 area, since it would need to be able to take hits without dying immediately, and it shouldn't be able to sweep until it takes some damage. Bringing it in would have to be an evaluation of risk-reward, since if it died it would be useless, and it would be thoroughly average before taking damage. It could use Double-Edge, etcetera effectively- taking more damage makes them more powerful.

Wow, Elevator Music, that is an excellent Justification. It should be used in the example in Doug's first post. Expect to get lots of support.

I'm seeing a lot of concepts that I really like, this is excellent.

Name: Infinite Attack

General Description: A Pokemon that can use multi-damage attacks to break down the opponent's Leads and tankish Pokemon.

Justification: With Stealth Rock leads and wall teams led by Fidgit and Arghonaut currently dominating CAP, the Infinite Attack Pokemon should be able to give players something to break down this heavy Stall that rely on you not critting or not breaking their subs without relying on stat-boosting and gives lesser known moves a chance. This also would stop Substitute and Endure (the latter is rare, I know).

Explanation: The are plenty of moves (Double Hit, Double Kick, Fury Attack, Icicle Spear, and even Beat Down) as well as plenty of abilities (Technician, Super Luck, Skill Link, ect.) that could help this work. These moves are underused because they are generally on useless Pokemon, but they are so helpful, especially if your team is constantly in trouble from Sub Pressure Pokemon (Zapdos) or even Lead Focus Sashers (Azelf). If the right Pokemon we given these moves, we could see a whole new change in the metagame (more teams relying on high power to boost Beat Up and attack, as well as less teams relying to Pressure Stall or flat out stall, as these moves have greater chances of Critical Hits).

come on, this idea has potential i think, this is the ultimate gamble mon and definition of high risk / reward and could bring an end from the terror of stall just outlasting you.

also as a side note, this is CAP 8 and 8 is an infinite loop, therefore the infinite attacker!

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Name:Late Game Save

General Description:This pokemon should be designed to take care of common late game sweepers.

Justification:Many teams have trouble with pokemon, who can come in late game, and sweep with or without any boosts e.g Empoleon.

Explanation:When I was laddering with a fairly successful team, on SU I wondered why there were little or no pokemon that could stop my Empoleon from sweeping at the end of most games(that was the reason why it was successful. Once I found a choiced pokemon or got something to lock into outrage, it was very easy to set up a win. This concept shouldn't be a wall, during the mid and early game, but should be able to work well in the late
game, stopping most late game threats. It could do this through an ability, moves, or just great resistances and immunities.

I'm really liking Pivot Point.

Ah ha! Had I not just had a doctor's appointment this would have been my post. But well worded zarator and good to see you again.

I am definitely supporting Hail Sweeper. I like the fact that it would be a new niche (the closest thing to a hail sweeper is Glaceon) a new dominant weather (hail has always been a niche usage) and would likely shift usage figures around Alot. It would also see hail used in a completely different way since hail teams have no choice but to be used for stall.

The best thing about this concept is that even though everyone can envisage the resulting CAP, no one can be prepared for how much the metagame would change during the playtesting of IceCAP!
Sorry if I anticipated you^^ But trust me, I'd not have really minded if you posted it before lol. Anyway, you catch a good point. I think, too, that while this Pokémon may be easy to see at a finished product (it isn't actually, but whatever), the way it could change the metagame around it is quite unpredictable.

However, as others have said, there are a lot of good ideas thrown around. After all, the introduction of the justification paragraph seem to have improved the quality of the submissions (even those not new to this CAP, like the one I posted) a lot.

And so we play once more here...

Name: Shapeshifter

General Description: A pokemon that changes strategy depending on an external influence or ability.

Justification: Quite a lot of teams in the metagame are reliant on stuff like weather or active abilities to win, and as many teams based around rain or sun would know, work incredibly well.

Explanation: This'll be pretty tricky to explain, so listen carefully. Taking a leaf from Castform, Arceus and Rotom, I've been fascinated by something that could be a wall one minute and a sweeper the next, then a supporter. This idea bases the fact that rain and sand teams are bloody hard to defeat, especially when Kingdra or Empoleon come in, primed to destroy anything in their paths, but what would happen if a pokemon who is pretty balanced for a start comes in and suddenly becomes a mighty mixed wall in the rain to stop Kingdra? Or if it enters the sand and becomes a special behemoth to put an end to Empoleon's reign of terror? This is what the idea is about. It could pull it off either by a special ability, much in the way of Multitype or Forecast, by hold item, such as with Shaymin or Giratina to Skymin and Giratina-O, or by some other factor, such as 'Appliance Interaction', in the way that Rotom and Deoxys can change forms ingame for wifi battles. This pokemon wouldn't be gimmicky as you can build it around countering entire teams, or even build it into a team for some tactical advantage.

Also, Elevator Music has a fun idea.

Name: Genocide

General Description: A pokemon that can come in on, trap, counter, and kill all members of a certain type.

Justification:
Allows us to learn about the metagame This is the biggest justification, as this will allow us to learn a huge amount about the metagame. With one type declining, types normally checked by this type will rise, changing a good portion of the metagame. We will be able to learn all about the dynamics of types, how they relate to one another, and just how important a pokemon's typing is.
Has a positive effect on the metagame This will seriously change around the frequency of alot of the pokemon in the metagame. Of the top 15 pokemon, only 3 ARN'T psychic, steel or fighting. Drastically hampering one of these types will change the basics of the entire metagame.

Explanation: Remember Magnezone? Basically the same thing, for another type. It should have resistances to whatever type we want to pick on, or SE STAB attacks on it. Theoretically a way to trap (think magnet pull, but different), so it doesn't just chase them out every time, should be available. However, in order to keep from being broken, it could be given a kind of achillies heel, like equipting a steel with shed-skin for magnezone. This would alow our victim to type to avoid our pokemon, but at the cost of something else (ie, using up its item options or a move slot).

raverist, what is the idea behinde a possible tanking weather ability; +1 to Def and SpD in weather?
i think you missed a better example of a poke that changes:cherrim with it's flower gift.

Sorry for the wall-o-text...

I'm going to re-post and go into detail on some of my favorite ideas out of all these great ones (an honorable mention is DougJustDoug's example "Kingdra of the Sun," but I didn't quote it here because it was an example).
Name: Surprise Factor

General Description: A Pokemon who can do multiple kinds of tasks, make the opponent have little idea what it's up to and surprise the opponent.

Justification: Currently a lot of Pokemon just follow the specific sets, and occasional you will see a surprise... I don't doubt the same for this Pokemon will be following sets too, but the difference is that this Pokemon will be capable of dealing out many different type of surprises to the opponent that the opponent will have no idea of what's coming until some move has been used. This Pokemon will add a whole new level of surprise factors as the point is to have the opponent have no idea what is coming from it and a very hard time predicting, which is also a large part of today's metagame.

Explanation: This Pokemon is very flexible on how to use it, and can be used for almost all spectrums in the Metagame. It is a good idea to give it a large movepool so it will be capable of executing many things, weather offensive, defensive, support, set-up, or cleric, but try to make it a jack of all trades but a master of none so it is not overpowered due to its ability of accomplishing so many things. The idea is to give the opponent a surprise factor, and any player that isn't fully prepared for this will still go down.
This sounds like an OU Mew which, IMO, the metagame needs. EDIT: Perhaps the "lack of counter-ability" can be balanced by bad typing?

Okay, once again, it's concept time:

Concept: Bad, but in a Good Way

Description: A Pokemon that is built specifically to use and abuse a poor typing combination, hindering abilities, or underused moves (one, or a combination of any of the three).

Justification: This concept is, obviously, to help the community to learn about the affects of unorthodox stratgies on the metagame, as well as test the viability of moves and abilities that get no use on the server. Depending on how successful the project is, it could also provide new niches in the metagame, or have a positive affect on our metagame.

Explanation: Why doesn't Regigigas get any use? It has great raw stats, but a combination of horrible movepool and a terrible ability sets it firmly in the current NU. Change aspects of either of these could radically affect how it is played. For example, Trick Room and Protect to stall, or a less terrible ability to abuse it's massive attack stat. Another example could be Sableye, whose Stall ability could allow it to abuse "powered up if hit prior to moving" (albeit, Sableye needs better stats). This was already used when Skill Link Icicle Spear Cloyster was used to counter Garchomp, all that was needed was a creative solution. Why can't this work again? I propose we focus on one, MAYBE two of the above topics, create something viable out of it, and see how it affects the metagame.
I like this concept simply because I'd be able to help actively for once; during most CaP projects I've lurked, voted, and put in my two cents here and there. But, in the words of a dear friend, I "take the road less traveled" when it comes to battling, but I "take it with a map."

Here's a concept I've been thinking of for a while:

Name:
True Steel Counter
General Description: A pokemon that can come in on a variety of steel types, and counter it, either by forcing said steel pokemon out, rendering it useless (eg. trapping and paralysing), or KOing it.
Justification: The metagame is dominated by steel types. By having a true counter (similar to Arghonaut 'the decentralizer) to steels, it would allow one to counter the steel threats in the metagame that have gone relatively unchecked for so long. This concept would hopefully have a positive effect on the metagame because this would in turn allow the pokemon that are countered by the said steels to step in, and so on. It would also help us to learn about the metagame without the usual influence from many top-tier pokemon.
Explanation:
MAR 2009 CAP USAGE
Battles: 993
+------+------------+--------+---------+
| Rank | Name | Usage | Percent |
| 1 | Metagross | 565 | 28.45 |
| 2 | Latias | 556 | 28.00 |
| 3 | Scizor | 537 | 27.04 |
| 4 | Salamence | 441 | 22.21 |
| 5 | Jirachi | 417 | 21.00 |
| 6 | Starmie | 388 | 19.54 |
| 7 | Tyranitar | 387 | 19.49 |
| 8 | Heatran | 358 | 18.03 |
| 9 | Infernape | 330 | 16.62 |
| 10 | Zapdos | 316 | 15.91 |
(Sorry about the bad formatting but its copied directly - hopefully you get the idea)
Steel types come in at 1, 3, 5, and 8 - 3 of the top 5 and 4 of the top 10 - CAP8 should probably at least be able to counter 2 or 3 of these. The challenge for the community here is how it would counter them. Typing? Ability? (Think Magnezone) A certain move? A combination of the three? There are so many possibilities.

This took so long, I goddamn hope it isnt illegal.
Discuss and flame away.
Just one word: YES. (It'd be three words if the other two weren't taboo.) EDIT: Now that I think about it, it'd pretty much need a Fire-type Vacuum Wave to decimate Mr. Bullet Puncher (aka Scizor).

Name: Viable Gimmick'Mon
General Description: A Pokemon that can use a gimmicky attack/ability to great effect.

Justification: Gives some of the less competitive more "just doing it for fun" players a reason to join the CAP server, and all around just fun to play.

Explanation: OK. During CAP6? I think it was, I posted an idea for a transforming pokemon. This is a broader version of that.
There are a LOT of gimmicky pokemon/attacks, but none of them get used much in competitive play (Shedinja, Ditto, Metronome, etc.). I want pokemon like that to get used more, because they're fun and unique pokemon, that fill a niche that no other pokemon can fill. I like the way they force the other team to kind of regroup and try a different strategy (Sweeping with Waterfall is slightly less effective against Shedinja, don't send out dragon pokemon with dragon attacks against Ditto, etc.), and there effectiviness relys a lot on the opponent, or on just plain luck (metronome). It would really boil down to giving a pokemon a new attack or ability, or giving it an old one, and changing it's stats/typing to make it more effective. (Dark/Ghost Wonder Guard O.o?)

I think that we would end up with a pokemon that is very fun to play with, and a challenge to deal with.
Maybe not so much on the "Wondertomb" idea, but this is what I had in mind suggesting "gimmick" moves like Me First and Assist for Kitsunoh; however, the only problem was Kitsunoh's low Special Attack. It would also give us a reason to change these "gimmick" moves for accuracy to the game, which is what Shoddy Battle should be about.

Name: The Monkey Wrench Arsenal

Description: A pokemon capable of using a wide range of offensive utility moves, like Heal Block, Snatch, Worry Seed ect., as well as potentially using weaker offensive moves with uncommon effects, such as multi hit moves or trapping attack moves.

Justification: Defensive support and utility moves, like wish, entry hazards, the screens ect., having always been fairly common because of their consistancy and usefulness in almost any team build.

However disruption utility moves, outside the status effects and one or two exceptions, are rarely used because of their highly situational nature. This is a fairly untapped area of strategy we can explore and a niche that doesnt seem to have any current pokemon filling.

Explanation: Fidgit is arguably one of CAPS most succesful pokemon. Providing an extremly flexible utility pokemon. However I think its one failing is how its defensive suppor movepool and ability has completly overshadowed its more offensive natured ability and support moves.

I think creating an offensive support equivalent to fidgit would be an excellent addition to the game.
True, but that's always the case for support; most people would try powering their own Pokémon (team) up before trying to power their opponent's team down.

Name: Leave a Legacy

Description: A Pokemon that cannot be directly countered but forces the opponent to think around it because after it faints, there may be other consequences.

Justification: This is also a good way to learn about how underused abilities and moves such as those can affect the metagame. All of the CAP Pokemon that we've created so far have SOME type of longevity, but this would allow us to test how a quick come-in-do-something-and-die Pokemon would work.

Explanation: By means of abilities such as Unburden, Aftermath, or possibly a custom ability, moves such as Memento, Lunar Dance, Explosion, Selfdestruct, Healing Wish, a custom move, or a combination of such. This is NOT meant to be a good suicide lead, but do a very similar thing midgame or lategame. For example, if the Pokemon has Aftermath as an ability and his lategame sweeper is on a roll, you might be able to use Memento, lowering both attack stats AND leaving him with 25% less HP. This way, it gives you another chance to end his sweep. The opponent would not be able to outright go and attack the Pokemon because these consequences of, requiring more thinking on his part, but in order to use this, you must know what you're doing.
Hmm... Aftermath doesn't quite work that way, but the point stands; a Pokémon that can "do-something-and-die" can be of value.

I feel like this is kinda on the fence between allowed and unallowed but I'll post it anyways.

---

Name: Neglected Ability

Description: This pokemon will have an ability [or two] that is currently undervalued (but possibly very helpful) in the metagame but isn't used because the other pokemon with this ability don't have the stats or movepool to make it work.

Justification: This is probably one of the best ways to go about learning about the metagame. Seeing why certain abilities don't see much play and what we can do to make them more used is an easy way to learn about the metagame. There is also the possibility that this pokemon will have a beneficial effect on the metagame and/or will create a new niche in the metagame (or take the niche of an old pokemon that didn't see much play).

Explanation: There are plenty of abilities that we can base a concept around that don't see much play. I'm thinking things like Shield Dust (we all know how much I want a good pokemon to abuse this!), Shed Skin (though Rev has this covered imo), Simple, hell even things such as Solar Power or Forewarn. It would be silly of me to try and list out all the abilities we could use for this.

I like this concept because it doesn't restrict typing or stats or whatever. There are so many possible directions this could go in we aren't narrowing too much down, but at the same time I feel it provides just enough direction to keep the pokemon on track.

---

^__^
Again, I like this idea because of how much I'd be able to help; I love trying to emulate what so many on YouTube record themselves doing on Pokémon Battle Revolution: winning with original or "underpowered" strategies. And the level of freedom is a definite perk.

So yeah, I originally thought I'd post links to the posts instead of multi-quoting them like this, but posts have been bigger, right?

That's right, good reason I left Cherrim out: Flower Gift is designed for double battling, and therefore isn't a proper example.

Also, it's not just a tank in weather, or it might not be: It could be a special wall in the sand, a physical sweeper in hail, and a scout in rain, or anything in any weather type, hence it being a shapeshifter.

That's right, good reason I left Cherrim out: Flower Gift is designed for double battling, and therefore isn't a proper example.

Also, it's not just a tank in weather, or it might not be: It could be a special wall in the sand, a physical sweeper in hail, and a scout in rain, or anything in any weather type, hence it being a shapeshifter.
cherrim also gives that bonus to itself making itself somewhat of a special wall in the sun.

and the ability, as you are thinking of it, would require too much programming and wouldn't be implimented

Name: Parasite
General Description: A pokemon that utilizes health stealing moves to a large advantage.

Justification: Helps learn the benefits and downfalls of these moves, possibly putting them to play in with other pokemon.
Explanation: Parasite has been in Concept for 3 CAPs now, and it's made it to the 3rd poll (I believe). But back to the topic, I believe that a pokemon could utilize these moves somehow, uzing STAB or something else to boost their low BP to help leech further help.

Maybe not so much on the "Wondertomb" idea, but this is what I had in mind suggesting "gimmick" moves like Me First and Assist for Kitsunoh; however, the only problem was Kitsunoh's low Special Attack. It would also give us a reason to change these "gimmick" moves for accuracy to the game, which is what Shoddy Battle should be about.
Well, glad to see that my idea is a good one! Wondertomb was mainly poking fun at poke-hackers. I've fought one and beaten it before.

It would be nice if more people posted what they thought of the ideas that have been posted so far [AKA mine ;)].

Well, I've been makin' poopies for a few minutes, and have brewed over an idea I personally like (this time with less redundancy, I think!).

Name: The Reverse Regigigas

General Description: A Pokemon which can perform its role in a team with extreme proficiency, but by either ability, move pool, or other means, quickly loses efficiency.

Justification: I've often wondered how the metagame would change if before a game, both players could choose to remove a single Pokemon from the other team. Would it become a more defensive game as players struggled when their heavy hitters were taken out of the equation? Would it become more offensive, with players playing all-or-nothing, brute force strategies, knowing that a more balanced team's keystone could be removed at any time? Would it possibly descend down some unforseen path, or remain relatively similar with people simply designing their teams with extra redundancy? This is my attempt to manifest such an idea as a tangible force in the game.

Explanation: While the idea lends itself to a "perfect sweeper", so to speak, who can take out essentially any single Pokemon in the game and then succumb to some sort of downfall as part of an ability, I think this Pokemon could also work on a defensive bias, stepping in to stop a sweep stone cold (relative to my previous quasi-submission) and then being shut down immediately after. I think the idea also lends the Pokemon to a neutral physical/special bias, since the Pokemon should be versatile enough to be nigh-on guaranteed to be able to counter essentially any threat the player deems a worthy expendature of the Pokemon's power.

I like how EM put the ability concept. It's sorta what I was going for, but I left mine maybe a bit more open ended. I don't really care if the project turned to ability, moves, or typing, but make it something underused and possibly laughable if used by any other thing but CAP8.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm unsure about EM's ability concept because it seems like we've done this already.

Unaware, for instance, was a great ability made underused by the fact that it was only on Bibarel. Then we made Arghonaut and it was brought into the spotlight.

Shed Skin. Used to be on Metapod and stuffs. Hey, Revenankh made ths usable. Heck, Air Lock. It was virtually unseen with basically Golduck (Cloud Nine is essentially the same thing, I guess), and Rayquaza unseen in OU. It wasn't really popular on Rev, but it was there.

If you want to use EM's Forewarn example, we gave Kitsunoh underutilized Frisk. Very much a simpler ability, but also useful.

We've kind of been doing this before.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What I was thinking was really similar to Elevator Music's submission, though I'd rather have things like Magic or Wonder Guard with things that can actually function in OU (for example, the wonder guard poke could have a bunch of weaknesses and/or mediocre stats, as long as it can SWITCH IN without dying [shedinja] it'd be cool).

But yea at the moment I like EM's a lot, even if we go with one of the abilities he mentioned.

I'm unsure about EM's ability concept because it seems like we've done this already.

Unaware, for instance, was a great ability made underused by the fact that it was only on Bibarel. Then we made Arghonaut and it was brought into the spotlight.

Shed Skin. Used to be on Metapod and stuffs. Hey, Revenankh made ths usable. Heck, Air Lock. It was virtually unseen with basically Golduck (Cloud Nine is essentially the same thing, I guess), and Rayquaza unseen in OU. It wasn't really popular on Rev, but it was there.

If you want to use EM's Forewarn example, we gave Kitsunoh underutilized Frisk. Very much a simpler ability, but also useful.

We've kind of been doing this before.
While all this is true, I disagree that this would be the same as before. All of the above examples were created either out of the necessity of the role the pokemon was to play, or simply stylistic. Revenankh has Shed Skin because of the bandages. Arghonaut has Unaware becaus eit was necessary to counter the stat boosting frenzy that needed decentralizing, and Kitsunoh has Frisk because it's the ultimate scout ability.

Now the ability concept can be viewed more as an experiment to see if a pokemon can be built around an underused ability, and not so much about using an underused ability because it truly benefits a concept a pokemon is built around.

While it may bring up memories of the prank, please read through the whole thing.

Name-The Anti Hax

Description-A pokemon that helps to eliminate "hax" from the game.

Justification-This pokemon would have a positive effect on the metagame because it would give someone the ability to keep luck from controlling they're battle. While bad hax can be played around, it makes it that much more difficult. And also, unlike most other thing in the game, there is no sure way to keep hax from getting to you.

Explanation-Hax is inevitable. People complain about it all the time. Stuff like Togekiss and Jirachi plague us with redundant flinches and FP. However there are many ways around this. Sadly most pokemon that have these abilities are too frail, much better at something else, or all around bottom feeders. Here is a list of anti-hax abilities that currently exist:

Battle Armor/Shell Armor-Prevents Critical Hits
Inner Focus-Prevents Flinching
No Guard-Prevents misses from both players
Shield Dust-Prevents all secondary effects.

This pokemon will also help the project as a whole. Seeing as this concept could be done very simply, we wouldn't have to devote the ENTIRE pokemon to this niche, like CAP7. That way we could end up with something that actually fufils its concept well, as it is not that hard to do.

Why you should support this concept:
1. After 2 VERY difficult CAPs in a row, this niche is easy to fufil, and gives us more room to stretch.
2. It offers an answer to something that the many people find to be bad, while not eliminating it completely. It also allows us to tell people who complain about being overly haxed that there is an answer to it, you just didn't use it.
3. It DOESN'T involve coin flips to deter hax.

There are MANY interesting concepts, with just as many horrible concepts in this thread, but hydrolphin has a great idea going for him. His Anti-Haxmon and Infinite Attacker stand out the most, with hydro's being my favorite so far. Realistic, reliable, and definitely going to be an interesting Pokemon to create and use.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, I've been makin' poopies for a few minutes, and have brewed over an idea I personally like (this time with less redundancy, I think!).

Name: The Reverse Regigigas

General Description: A Pokemon which can perform its role in a team with extreme proficiency, but by either ability, move pool, or other means, quickly loses efficiency.

Justification: I've often wondered how the metagame would change if before a game, both players could choose to remove a single Pokemon from the other team. Would it become a more defensive game as players struggled when their heavy hitters were taken out of the equation? Would it become more offensive, with players playing all-or-nothing, brute force strategies, knowing that a more balanced team's keystone could be removed at any time? Would it possibly descend down some unforseen path, or remain relatively similar with people simply designing their teams with extra redundancy? This is my attempt to manifest such an idea as a tangible force in the game.

Explanation: While the idea lends itself to a "perfect sweeper", so to speak, who can take out essentially any single Pokemon in the game and then succumb to some sort of downfall as part of an ability, I think this Pokemon could also work on a defensive bias, stepping in to stop a sweep stone cold (relative to my previous quasi-submission) and then being shut down immediately after. I think the idea also lends the Pokemon to a neutral physical/special bias, since the Pokemon should be versatile enough to be nigh-on guaranteed to be able to counter essentially any threat the player deems a worthy expendature of the Pokemon's power.
This is a cool idea, but maybe instead it can only preform an act for two-three turns then it becomes useless. This way it could only sweep for two-three turns, making the prediction count. Unlike Regigigas who needs to last five turns in order to sweep. Five seems a little to long for the reverse effect though.

hydrolphin, i'm sorry, but what you are saying is that you don't like innate game mechanics.
these are all very much part of the game and of some poke's strategies and it isn't that a couple of moves this would have an effect on, but instead is all but 30 moves (yes i counted).
there is a specific reason why all the abilities you listed are limited.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
While all this is true, I disagree that this would be the same as before. All of the above examples were created either out of the necessity of the role the pokemon was to play, or simply stylistic. Revenankh has Shed Skin because of the bandages. Arghonaut has Unaware becaus eit was necessary to counter the stat boosting frenzy that needed decentralizing, and Kitsunoh has Frisk because it's the ultimate scout ability.
That doesn't mean they're not applying an underused ability. In Arghonaut and Rev's case, they're integral part of the Pokemon. Quite a bit of Rev's fearsomeness was in its ability to utilize ShedRest. Regardless of "style" choices, this proved to have a huge effect and is arguably half of Rev's effectiveness.

Now the ability concept can be viewed more as an experiment to see if a pokemon can be built around an underused ability, and not so much about using an underused ability because it truly benefits a concept a pokemon is built around.
To be honest, it's really difficult to build a Pokemon out of an ability rather than the other way around. Shield Dust, for instance, is applied as a secondary thing. You cannot build a Pokemon to use Shield Dust unless your goal was to counter Togekiss entirely or somesuch.

Precious few other abilities could be built around, I guess. You could make a Wonder Guard Pokemon (To be honest, we'd really have to be careful about what abilities we use - which further limits options) or maybe a Pokemin intended to use Magic Guard, but that kind of pushes it. And then for anything less than what's practically a game-altering really can't be built around.

Overall, it's almost prohibitive attempting to build a Pokemon around an ability. I think we could do something slightly more productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)