CAP 8 CAP 8 - Part 15a - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The purpose of thegamers post wasn't to say that Doug's sprite is breaking the rules Darkie, it was saying that he felt it was too drastic a change from the original artwork for him to vote for it.

...First draft.

Coloring this beast was a lot easier than making the damn lineart. *_* I know that my cloud texturing isn't as good as some other people's but I love the way the heads game out. Crits appreciated!

Shinies verrry subject to change. I just threw down the first colors that came to mind. =P

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Great job to everyone, but my favorite ones so far are Doug's (badass) and Clawed Nyasu's (beautiful).

Both did a great job, and whatever people say, Doug's Shiny sprite is totally wonderful!

Yay procrastination!

Instead of working on a final paper I did a backsprite. I'm not to sure on the shading (will probably redo it all), but the lineart was easier than I anticpated.

If there's no more objections i'll be making this my final submission.
Actually... On the back sprite. The middle face is bugging me. The cheek's shading looks strange when the mouth is open like that...
Personally, I think it looks like the mouth doesn't really need to be there on the back sprite. It looks out of place.
If you look, the middle-shade on the spike (the one closest to it's mouth) seemingly ends abruptly. Compare that spikes on the other two heads...
It looks awkward... I tried tinkering with it on Paint (and removed the mouth) and it looked better IMO...

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Doug, I know you're trying to make the Pokemon more Dragon-like, but I'd suggest sticking with what the art's purpose is. The art makes the Pokemon both cute and powerful and you're making it solely based on looking powerful. I see no cuteness. I haven't talked about CaP a lot, but IF I could sprite, I'd stay within the lines of the art, not overlook anything.
Yes, I took some artistic license with the design. That was not an accident. I mentioned it in my first post of my sprite. I didn't actually sit down and say "Let's see how much I can change up Cyzir's original design" -- it just turned out somewhat stylized. I realize the look of my sprite will not appeal to everyone, but it IS the direction I intentionally took.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Originally Posted by Fat Clawed Nyasu
This looks really cool and has tons of potential. The only criticisms I have are that the front-right paw is turned too far inward (it looks pigeon-toed), and the cloud could be a bit lighter gray. The positioning of the heads is stellar, though (although the middle one could be looking at whatever the other two are looking at, so that it looks more intimidating).

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Man am I glad I didn't leave, otherwise I wouldn't have finished up these little gems. <3

Complete sheet for convenience

Did some major facelifting. Raised the furthest head up and changed its direction as well as repositioned the other heads a bit too. Also fixed shading on the cloud and fixed up the glow effect on the body. Palettes and everything is all finalized and this is the final version of my sprites. Man, I'm exhausted...

Editing my Final submission post now.

...First draft.

Coloring this beast was a lot easier than making the damn lineart. *_* I know that my cloud texturing isn't as good as some other people's but I love the way the heads game out. Crits appreciated!

Shinies verrry subject to change. I just threw down the first colors that came to mind. =P
I had a feeling I would like this sprite.

KoA, MUCH better sprites now, I adore them.

And Nyasu, damn those are good. It is going to be tough to vote for a sprite.

You are my new favorite! This is exactly what I was thinking the sprite should look like when I saw the art. There is maybe something about the shading of the cloud that I find odd, but I cannot really put my finger on it... nevertheless, it does not bother me so much; this is what I am voting for!

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
KoA, you've stolen my heart with these. I absolutely adore how you did the cloud body in the front sprite, we understand its a cloud, but it still doesn't go to an extreme (swirls and stuff). There is still a bit left in this thread, but it's not too far off to say you have my vote.

Wow, KoA, looking good dude!

The first thing that comes to mind is Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon, or is that just me?

@Lostmyth: Those designs look pretty cool, but they only have 2 legs...

@Dragonzrule: I really love that action pose, it looks so cool. The only thing is that the head on the right is where the legs are, so it looks a bit weird there. The leftmost head looks fine to me.

@Agentlym: Very nice design. The colors and the glow of the toes are just perfect. But, like Dragonzrule, the far right head seems to be spazzing out a bit lol. The pose and camera angle do a good job of displaying everything, well done.

EDIT: wow sorry i just commented on the posts on the first page without realising that there are now 11 pages... so my comments are really old and you can ignore them =\. Im about to update this post with comments on more recent submissions though.

EDIT: Alright some comments on some more recent submissions...

@DarthVader317 - That's a really nice backsprite. looking forward to seeing the front one

@KoA - The lineart is fine but the colours just don't seem quite right...

@Clawed Nyasu - Wow those things are excellent! It makes the whole pokemon design more appealing to me than the original submission =]

Man am I glad I didn't leave, otherwise I wouldn't have finished up these little gems. <3

Complete sheet for convenience

Did some major facelifting. Raised the furthest head up and changed its direction as well as repositioned the other heads a bit too. Also fixed shading on the cloud and fixed up the glow effect on the body. Palettes and everything is all finalized and this is the final version of my sprites. Man, I'm exhausted...

Editing my Final submission post now.
The middle head still looks off; still, great job! You just turned your submission into one of the top contenders :)

I think Aragornbird has done the finest job so far. The pose, drawing and colouring are just great. I also like Wyverii's sprite, as well as Nyasu's. KoA's work is cool, too, but i don't really like the colouring. Other than that it's nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)