Chandelure

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I don't think Flame Body is ever needed over Flash Fire, because Chandy isn't that bulky but it could find some use on Sub sets to hope for a burn as they break your Subs.

And, by the way, if a check/counter made you switch out, it did its job.

My problem is that Energy Ball and Hidden Power are such pitifully weak coverage options that it almost offsets Chandelure's absurd Sp Atk. I know it can hit things, but I feel like Pokemon with access to stronger moves like Focus Blast, Earthquake, and whatever would be more premier options due to the added power.
Everything I didn't quote, Kefka, I agreed with.

If your opponent has Heatran, it'll be a problem for almost any Chandelure set (unless you're Specs with HP Fighting). That problem is not unique to SubCM.[/QUOTE]

I know, but the SubCM set is walled the hardest by heatran, which is why I brought it up. Also, without hp fighting, hydreigon also resists all of your moves.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I didn't realize Flame Body made you immune to Fire :O
I think that if Pory2 really gives you that much trouble(which he shouldn't in OU since he's not common at all), just run FB over FF.
It doesn't, but Flash Fire does which is the only ability anyone uses on Chandelure.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Additionally, it sounds kind of stupid to give up flash fire just because of one pokemon. I think the ubiquity of fire attacks in OU takes precedence over the rare porygon2.

It doesn't, but Flash Fire does which is the only ability anyone uses on Chandelure.
Well, I was being sarcastic...which I thought I made clear in the second part of that sentence x_x

Anyway, yes, Heatran will wall all of Chandy's sets. Woohoo.
NEARLY every pokemon in OU has SOMETHING that will counter all it's best sets(I think the only exception is Dnite and maybe Terrakion).

Btw @ Slim
Yes, you were forced out by your check, but assuming you were still behind the Substitute(which it should), your check would either get OHKO'd or take a ton of damage.
And don't worry about Chandy's counters. Gyarados can easily set up on the more common of the three ;)
(Or any bulky water, actually)

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Is this thing usable outside of DW OU at all? Sure, 145 base Special Attack might be the best non-legendary Special Attack in the game, but it's so slow! IIRC, it has 80 base Speed, which means it's going to be outsped by almost any offensive Pokemon in OU, bar Heatran which Chandelure can't even do anything to unless it happens to have HP Fighting (which means it then gets walled by a lot more stuff). Even in UU, a LOT of stuff outspeeds it.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Tyranitar is an excellent partner for chandelure. He doesn't mind taking the dark (except pursuit of course) and ghost type attacks (from faster ghosts) that chandelure fears and chandelure can switch in on a fighting move that could severely damage t-tar. Additionally, tyranitar takes care of heatran, who otherwise walls chandy completely.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The most usable set imo is substitute + three attacks, stabs + hp fighting. Deals a hefty chunk to tyranitar, can set up for free on chansey / blissey (but you can't do anything back to them really, so i suggest spamming flamethrower until you get a burn and pair with a pursuit user :) ).

Don't forget it's one of the better spinblockers out there.

It's not the greatest pokemon out there, but it's definitely usable.

Is this thing usable outside of DW OU at all? Sure, 145 base Special Attack might be the best non-legendary Special Attack in the game, but it's so slow! IIRC, it has 80 base Speed, which means it's going to be outsped by almost any offensive Pokemon in OU, bar Heatran which Chandelure can't even do anything to unless it happens to have HP Fighting (which means it then gets walled by a lot more stuff). Even in UU, a LOT of stuff outspeeds it.
So slow? But most things in this metagame are SLOWER.
There are tons of things in that 240 - 250 tier and Chandy out-paces all of them with 220 EVs in Speed and can go Modest.
Aside from Heatran, most offensive threats CAN'T switch in as they take a ton of damage from it's STABs alone and are then susceptible to priority.
Hell, assuming SR, Dnite(I think it can 2HKO even through MS, but I'm not sure) can't switch in on Chandelure safely unless it has EQ and even then, the SubLure set pretty much guarantees damage.

Even in UU? Well, guess what. This isn't UU, this is OU, where most of the offensive threats are bulky boosters, like Volcarona, Dnite, Conkeldurr, Reuniclus, Latias, Celebi, etc.

From those, only Latias will commonly out-speed Chandy(and more offensive Dnites), but NONE of them(aside from T-tar, Heatran, and Hydreigon) can safely switch in on SubLure without risking a OHKO or a ton of damage.

I just take advantage of those forced switches. Ferrothorn becomes a liability for the opponent when that Rotom-W keeps Volt Switching to Chandelure.

So do y'all recommend sub and three attacking moves, flame charge, sub and calm mind, calm mind and three attacking moves, choice specs, or choice scarf? I have gotten a different response from everybody!

Flame Charge is pretty boss. I should rephrase, though. I save it a late-game cleaner when counters are already dead. And who's dissing the CM set kefka? I'm just pointing at an obvious truth, a 4 slot syndrome. Not saying that's a bad thing.

Flame Charge is pretty boss. I should rephrase, though. I save it a late-game cleaner when counters are already dead. And who's dissing the CM set kefka? I'm just pointing at an obvious truth, a 4 slot syndrome. Not saying that's a bad thing.
Well, I never said it was you. Some people just say it sucks though.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
This guy works amazingly well with ferrothorn. They cover each other's weaknesses so well. Ferrothorn doesn't really mind the ghost, dark, water, and rock types (and ground type move to an extent) that chandelure fears, and chandelure can easily switch into a fire or fighting type attack.

It's the best thing since PB&J!!!

Chandelure @ Salac Berry
Shadow Tag
Timid

Substitute
Calm Mind
Shadow Ball
HP Fight

EV's:
252 @ Sp. Attack
252 @ Speed
4 @ Sp. Defense

Find the right mon to set up on and go go go!

Wouldn't a set set like this be perfect?

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Bold
- Calm Mind
- Flame Charge
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Comes in on a choiced Fighting or normal (or even something you resist) attack and calm mind up to +6. Flame Charge being physical is great really because it means you can get your speed up alot easyier because the opponent will take minimal damage. Then when your at +6 in the three stats sweep with your perfect coverage and your amazing defenses alowing you to take even a Choice Banded Azumarils Aqua Jet in the rain over 99% (you could just die if he gets highest possible damage).

Now this set is why people will never be using choiced normal and fighting moves for fear of being completely sweeped.

Even in 4th Gen, the use of Choice items on Pokemon that have STAB moves of a type that other Pokemon are immune to (I mention STABs because, for instance, it is very obvious that Dugtrio will have Earthquake but not necessarily all given nonSTAB moves) was looked upon as a poor planning because it gave the foe a free turn of setup.

There are plenty of Pokemon that use Choiced fighting moves and like i said he can also come in on resistances which he has alot of. I mean come on the most used pokemon right now (Scizor) most popular set runs a Choiced fighting move along with 6 other Pokemon i can think of right now in OU that do the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)