Cloyster

Although it may be strong, priority totally kills it. It is weak to mach punch, and we see plenty of Roopushins and Breelooms running around. It is also neutral to Bullet punch, but with -2 Defenses, its pretty much dead. Priority moves kill it.

It also has a hard time with scarves. Cloyster isn't fast normally, so +2 can be outsped by scarffed mon. Doryuzuu also gives it a run for its money, seeing as it outspeeds it in SS.

Also, Ditto. Scarf Ditto outspeeds it, KO's it, and then sweeps your team.

It's rlly powerful, but it certainly has its problems

Rock Blast does the same thing without STAB, though, and only Steel types resist both.
Indeed, a Lapras couldn't take a Rock Blast. You do however only have 4 move slots. My post was mainly a response to the youtube video posted, as the fact there are many things that can actually take Cloyster down means it is no where near broken. I didn't do a great job of specifying that =/

Although it may be strong, priority totally kills it. It is weak to mach punch, and we see plenty of Roopushins and Breelooms running around. It is also neutral to Bullet punch, but with -2 Defenses, its pretty much dead. Priority moves kill it.

It also has a hard time with scarves. Cloyster isn't fast normally, so +2 can be outsped by scarffed mon. Doryuzuu also gives it a run for its money, seeing as it outspeeds it in SS.

Also, Ditto. Scarf Ditto outspeeds it, KO's it, and then sweeps your team.

It's rlly powerful, but it certainly has its problems
shell break is -1-1 defense. And if you wanted to, you could stick white herb on there, but that might take away too much from offensive power.

No one is claiming that Cloyster is broken or unkillable.

Just a really powerful sweeper, top tier OU quite possibly. Everything has a counter of some kind, and almost nothing except a pure wall/stall is a hard counter for scarfed Ditto coming in as a revenger. That it has counters doesn't mean it's supremely powerful, the latter fact being all the more impressive given that in the last couple of generations it's been decidedly ineffective (borderline useless) in the higher tiers.

Also, this:
Rock Blast does the same thing without STAB, though, and only Steel types resist both.
If you give it Hydro Pump for a water STAB as well, that's 7 types hit for Super Effective, and Fire and Rock definitely don't want to be on the receiving end of a shell break boosted HP.

O.O Nasty Plot + Swords Dance + Agility (with the debuff of -1 to both defenses like Close Combat)
I'd like to see this thing in combat, an extremely interesting buff cloyster holds, lets set if his sea legs can start running over teams, shall we?

O.O Nasty Plot + Swords Dance + Agility (with the debuff of -1 to both defenses like Close Combat)
I'd like to see this thing in combat, an extremely interesting buff Cloyster holds, lets set if his sea legs can start running over teams, shall we?
I use it on some teams and if you set up dual screens it's almost sickening. At around the third swept Pokemon I feel like I'm just hitting the kill button whenever something shows up on the opposite of me.

If you give it Hydro Pump for a water STAB as well, that's 7 types hit for Super Effective, and Fire and Rock definitely don't want to be on the receiving end of a shell break boosted HP.
Neutral coverage is far more important than super effective coverage.

For those playtesters, what is cloyster possibly setting up on?

Any fighting or rock physical move is going to decimate it, 180 def or no
Any special attack will basically kill it, resisted or not
Any wall that can't kill it will cripple it with status or just phaze it out
Any Taunt user stops it cold

Is there anything other than a weak choiced physical attack that it can setup on?

Anything that's originally faster than you, hits physically and gets outsped after a Shell Break.

It's not really that hard. Also, Memento Erufuun, I guess.

how is the text in-game coming up as english on the youtube video there?

I wish he'd shown some mischievous heart.

Priority fighting is shell break cloysters death, I think. So you'll have to revenge it.

Vacuum Wave might be able to revenge it, but Cloyster has pretty decent defense even after a shell break, and it can still survive even a Breloom Mach Punch. (well, before it got Technician)

VaccumWave has a great chance of OHKO'ng Cloyster after a Shell Break.....especially from the likes of Lucario and Infernape. So, I think it is pretty much50-50 for Cloyster to make it to OU.

According to a Japanese poll, Cloyster is the #1 video game character that looks like genitalia. Go ahead, try to unsee it.

Anyway, I was totally impressed at how this thing 2HK0d Bronzong after a Shell Break with Ice Shard (well, it would have 2HK0d if the user didn't inexplicably use Spike Cannon). That's a resist for pete's sake, and with great defensive stats to boot. Also, i'm willing to bet that Cloyster's physical defense is still pretty high after a -1.

Along with Venomoth, this is the 'old' pokemon that i'm most excited about...the good news about both is that I can raise them in Soul Silver and transfer them over ready to kick ass and take names.

Edit: Yes, I did mean Icicle Spear. Oops!

If it's forcing Lucario and Infernape to use Vacuum Wave, it's pretty much already shaping OU to its likes.
That is if it even makes it to OU, though I think why the Shell Break set is nice is that it STILL has great defense after -1 defense drop.

And anyway, Infernape have some priority, either Vaccum Wave or Mach Punch. I agree that not too many Lukes carry Vaccum Wave.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
According to a Japanese poll, Cloyster is the #1 video game character that looks like genitalia. Go ahead, try to unsee it.

Anyway, I was totally impressed at how this thing 2HK0d Bronzong after a Shell Break with Ice Shard (well, it would have 2HK0d if the user didn't inexplicably use Spike Cannon). That's a resist for pete's sake, and with great defensive stats to boot. Also, i'm willing to bet that Cloyster's physical defense is still pretty high after a -1.

Along with Venomoth, this is the 'old' pokemon that i'm most excited about...the good news about both is that I can raise them in Soul Silver and transfer them over ready to kick ass and take names.
lol I think you mean Icicle Spear. That would be unreal if Cloyster could 2HKO a bulky-ass resist. xD Just for reference, Icicle Spear does 44.4% - 53.3% with a +2 LO Icicle Spear to a 252 HP/252 Def Relaxed Bronzong, which I doubt anyone would ever use. Against a more practical spread like OTR Bronzong's (252 HP/0 Def), it's doing 62.1% - 72.5%, meaning that Bronzong can't switch in at all - in fact, neither can most resists. I was serious when I put in the analysis that it can destroy every physical wall after a Shell Break. Even a 252 HP/252 Def Bold Cresselia is taking 67.6% - 81.1%. Or how about 252 HP/252 Def Bold Suicune, who's taking 37.1% - 44.6%, which is a possible 2HKO after Stealth Rock, and is guaranteed to be 2HKOed by Rock Blast. Shell Break Cloyster is very powerful indeed, and because nothing can really directly switch in after a Shell Break, revenge-killing is needed.

However, regardless, bulky Waters are still a bit of a problem since many of them have HP Electric, and I don't think many of them are OHKOed after Shell Break. Therefore, if they switch in on the Shell Break, you're at a high risk of losing your sweep. Same goes for bulky Steels, though they don't often carry special attacks, so Cloyster can still take a hit from them and 2HKO.

Anyway, I was thinking that Cloyster can still be a great supporter to the team, regardless of his sweeping abilities now. Because it would be insane to switch in a Ghost on Cloyster now since the walling ones get destroyed by Icicle Spear after Shell Break, and the frail ones can't ever switch in on Choicester's Icicle Spear, Cloyster seems like it would have a lot less trouble getting a successful Rapid Spin off now. That, plus Spikes/Toxic Spikes are always useful. The problem of course, is that he's SR weak and people don't tend to like Rapid Spinners who're SR weak, but since he really discourages Ghosts from coming in, he may still be a good one in Gen 5.

And anyway, Infernape have some priority, either Vaccum Wave or Mach Punch. I agree that not too many Lukes carry Vaccum Wave.
Well, after Infernape's Dream World ability (Iron Fist) comes out, it's probably not going to be using Vaccum Wave very much, since Mach Punch will be much more useful due to the higher BP. However, if -1 Cloyster can (just barely) survive Breloom's Technician Mach Punch after a Defense drop, I doubt Infernape's will do much better (for reference, a 52 BP Mach Punch does 69.7% - 83% to -1 Cloyster).

I'm guessing it's probably been mentioned somewhere in here but it's worth nothing that anything scarfed with over 319 speed will outspeed a Shell Break Cloyster, and that's assuming Cloyster has max speed EVs (with a neutral nature, surely you'll want your nature to boost attack). So any sort of special attacker or super effective physical attacker can switch in on the setup and most definitely KO.

VaccumWave has a great chance of OHKO'ng Cloyster after a Shell Break.....especially from the likes of Lucario and Infernape. So, I think it is pretty much50-50 for Cloyster to make it to OU.
That's right, because almost every Pokemon has and will want to use Vaccum Wave.

Oh wait...

I think shadow tag shandera might be a good partner for cloyster since he can take priority fighting and steel attacks and then kill infernape, breloom, lucario(if locked into vacuum wave, watch out for crunch), hitmontop, and scizor (unless he u-turns, which shandera 4x resists)

Okay. Literally. The. Best. Pokemon. This. Generation.

My friend did some damage calcs. OHKOes 4 HP Arceus after 1 Shell Break with Icicle Spear. What is this? 252 HP Kyogre takes 63.1% - 74.3% from it. This is the best Pokemon this Generation. I have been excited about many new Pokemon this Generation, but seriously. Cloyster = best Pokemon in the world.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
the problem is he can be easily revenged by priority and 70 base speed means even at +2 many scarfers can outspeed and revenge kill him.

he is effective, but he needs some team support and be played to his strength if you just throw him on a team and boost up you have most likely wasted a team slot.

Revenge Priority is certainly looking like the best hard counter to Cloyster - if it sets up before you can do some damage to it at least, you've likely got a problem on your hands.

Everything in OU is beatable though, and as with everything else in there, people who throw Cloyster in without demonstrating at least some common sense will lose it easily. He's hardly the only one with that issue though. Uses sensibly - very very dangerous Poke.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)