1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Counter that Pokemon - Mk III [Silvershadow234 vs. New Breed]

Discussion in 'BW RU' started by Cherub Agent, Feb 2, 2013.

1. speed ghilliesniper

speed ghilliesniper

[​IMG]
    Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 SAtk
    Modest Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Thunderbolt
    - Stealth Rock
    - Flamethrower

I think everyone know what Nidoqueen does: smash faces. Flamethrower still 1HKO's Escavalier while not making someone bang their face into the keyboard with a miss, although if Fire Blast would really be better I'll change it. With all the switches she forces Nidoqueen has plenty of opportunity to set up Stealth Rocks, and Stealth Rocks are the most important hazard in RU right now, dealing some much needed residual damage to the other team while they switch and keeping dangerous threats like Moltres out of consideration without a spinner. Thunder Bolt hits Slowking hard, with the current spread on Slowking it'll do 62.69 - 73.85%, meaning that with LO damage it'll be quickly worn down to the point to where it's vulnerable to being ko'd. Earthpower is a solid STAB that gives it good coverage in the tier.

Some other points, with this pick it put's huge pressure on the other's teams picks as they either have to focus on using TR setters that can live through the Queens assaults or shift up to using faster sweepers that can check or revenge Nidoqueen, or use an Uxie. Keep in mind though with an Uxie this is stacking a dark/bug weakness, something that Absol and Accelgor would love to happen.

TL;DR: Nidoqueen is a beast, sets rocks, puts on heavy offensive pressure. If the other team uses an Uxie (one of the only "counters" to Nidoqueen) it stacks a dark and bug weakness that means Absol beats 1/2 the other team handily and that Accelgor can do a lot of work too late game.
  2. Bluwing

Bluwing

[​IMG]
    Qwilfish (F) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Spikes
    - Waterfall
    - Taunt
    - Pain Split

So this is basically the set New Breed introduced in the last round so im not going to take all the credit for this suggestion as it originally was New Breed's idea, anyway I think this set fits team 1 perfectly. The reason for Qwilfish beeing such a good choice right know is that it walls Escavalier two STAB moves which just annihilates both Absol and Accelgor, it also provides the team with entry hazards in Spikes which will help both Absol and Accelgor netting some easier ko's. What Qwilfish also do is too shut down Slowking if tries to TR and it will always be a mindgame when it faces Qwilfish as if Absol comes in freely on a predicted Psyshock something is getting dented for Accelgor to clean up late game or even Absol pulling of a sweep himself with his awesome coverage.
  3. Cherub Agent

Cherub Agent come at me winter
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

OK, here are the submissions!

[​IMG]celever's Qwilfish
    [​IMG]fryfrey's Amoonguss
    [​IMG]Silvershadow234's Golurk
    [​IMG]dragontamer74pe's Emboar 1
    [​IMG]DittoCrow's Druddigon 10
    [​IMG]DrRobotnik's Magneton 2
    [​IMG]speed ghilliesniper's Nidoqueen 8
    [​IMG]BROStime's Qwilfish

---

I'm voting for DittoCrow's Druddigon as I really like how it is bulky, already provides the team with Stealth Rock, and can beat both Escavalier and Slowking 1 on 1 as well. It's typing is phenomenal, and I like how it can use Slowking's own Trick Room against ti once it brings Slowking down. I'd probably go for Earthquake on it though, as it covers a wide range of threats than Sucker Punch does. speed ghilliesniper's Nidoqueen is a close second though, as it shares many similar traits with Druddigon, such as bulk and power, but resists none of FWG and can't switch into Slowking :/ still a very solid option though.
  4. dragontamer74pe

dragontamer74pe

Ok I'll post the good and bass about these:
    Qwilifish (both)
    Good: Beat escavalier and lay down spikes.
    Bad: Team 2 can choose a spinner and they will with spikes this early and it is easily beat by slowking
    Amoongus
    Good: Can take an attack and super effectively hit both members
    Bad: Not the hardest poke to counter and can't beat either with trick room up.
    Golurk
    Good: Can heavily damage both members of team 1
    Bad: It has good bulk but is 2hkod by both members
    Emboar
    Good: Easily beats escavalier and beats slowking too if not under trick room
    Bad: Choice locked and cant switch into slowking
    Druddigon
    Good: Walls slowking and can beat escavalier too
    Bad: Has to rely on outrage to beat slowking if it doesn't have sucker punch, can't switch in on escavalier and easily predicted around. Also druddigon falls to escavaliers megahorn.
    Magneton
    Good: Can trap escavalier, provide momentum and beat slowking if there is no weird dimensions.
    Bad: Not hard to counter and doubles up on a common attacking type weakness in fire and fighting.
    Nidoqueen
    Good: Beats both members of team 2 with no dodgy dimensions.
    Bad: Is 2hkod by both members and while rocks is great it gives up important coverage on a nidoqueen.
    I'm going to vote for my own suggestion; dragontamer's Emboar as it easily beats both and is very hard to counter with its great coverage and is bulky too.
  5. scorpdestroyer

scorpdestroyer is a pious radio
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

Voting speed ghilliesniper's Nidoqueen. IMO Queen is better than Drudiggon atm by a tiny bit because it resists Escavalier's Megahorn, unlike the rest of the team thus far. It is also hard to switch into and it smashes faces.
  6. Bluwing

Bluwing

DittoCrow's Druddigon
  7. DrRobotnik

DrRobotnik

Qwilfish: Same problems as before, it shuts down Escavalier but isn't great against Slowking.

Amoonguss: It barely hurts Slowking and just barely two-shots Escavalier, it offers nothing type wise and can easily be countered by any fire type, probably Magmortar.

Golurk: Earthquake destroys this team, and he can take a hit from everything but Slowking's surf. Although, he's band locked, isn't the best fit type wise and Trick Room Slowking takes him easily.

Emboar: Can take out both effortlessly. However, he's band locked, so Slowking can easily switch in on him if he's using anything but Wild Charge or Head Smash. Also dies in Trick Room.

Druddigon: Good against Escavalier and Slowking individually, but can't deal well with them is they switch (Outrage and Sucker Punch do nothing against Escavalier, Fire Punch does nothing against Slowking). Rocks help, though.

Magneton: Destroys both, traps Escavalier. However, it's one-hit by Slowking's Fire Blast and is a victim of Trick Room.

Nidoqueen: Good against Escavalier, but it can't OHKO Slowking who hard counters it in terms of offensive typing.

I'll vote later.
  8. Double01

Double01 Hate it or love it the under dog's on top

Ghilliesnipers Nidoqueen
  9. Celever

Celever

I'm voting for robotnik's magneton.

But no love for the fish of quills? Yes, they can put on a spinner, we can put on a spin blocker.
  10. DrRobotnik

DrRobotnik

DittoCrow's Druddigon. Main reason being that Nidoqueen gets OHKO'd by Slowking.
  11. cbt

cbt subtle body
    is a Pokemon Researcher
    Mentor

D_C's Druddigon
  12. Molk

Molk rip houndoom
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    RU Co-Leader

speed ghilliesniper's Nidoqueen
  13. Slory

Slory

Dittocrow's Druddigon
  14. dragontamer74pe

dragontamer74pe

It looks like escavalier will run through team 1 ATM do all team 2 has to do is pick a poke that beats Magneton endlessly and limit team 1's options. Having no safe switch in for escavalier is going to hurt us as it can ohko every member if druddigon is chosen.
  15. Cherub Agent

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

yes but it would be outsped and OHKOd by druddigon and absol, meaning that it won't ever "sweep". team 1 is an offensive team, which has no problems sacking pokemon to get another one in for free until something does find the opportunity to sweep.
  16. DrRobotnik

DrRobotnik

It's 4-3 DittoCrow, this one's coming down to the wire (for once). Either one is fine, I've got a nice counter to both.
  17. fryfrey

fryfrey

DittoCrow's Druddigon
  18. Oglemi

Oglemi We broke it. Yes, we were naughty. Completely naughty.
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

19. lolazo

lolazo

20. DrRobotnik

DrRobotnik

Oh shit, it's a tie! I'm gonna change my vote to something useful.

21. speed ghilliesniper

speed ghilliesniper

I feel weird doing it but I'll vote for my own Nidoqueen to try and put it over the top.
  22. Kenny

Kenny don't expect me

23. TROP

TROP *tips fedora*
    is a Tiering Contributor

24. Texas Cloverleaf

Texas Cloverleaf meh
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Druddigon

Imo Queen is too easy to counterpick atm and is much more effective as a 5th or 6th slot pick
  25. Cherub Agent

Until one of the Pokemon has a more distinct majority. And I'm not allowing any more changes of mind, once you put down your submission, it stays like that. If you try to edit it I won't count it from now on, as I'm not crawling through every post to see if something changed.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)