Ditto (QC 3/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ditto

This is clearly not an especially complicated analysis, so the skeleton is going to be short. The analysis will be really short too if kept entirely serious, which it probably won't be (unless people want it to).

Also, I'm not quite sure how to format the set with only one move, so if someone could tell me that would be nice.

[Overview]

• Imposter is great – free transform, copies everything except HP and Hidden Power type, even stat boosts.
  • Revenge kills virtually every setup sweeper in the game with Choice Scarf, and if the opponent sets up carelessly, sweeps the opponents team with their own pokemon.
  • Basically, therefore, the opponent probably won't set up until ditto is eliminated.
  • Can also be a bit of a pain for non-offensive teams by stealing hazards, rapin spin etc.
  • Appalling stats include meagre base 48 HP. However, with maximum EV investment, it reaches 300 HP, equivalent of a base 79 pokemon with only 4 evs invested (e.g genies). This means that Ditto will have comparable bulk to the offensive pokemon it is checking.
[SET]
name: Imposter (accepting suggestions!)
move 1: Transform
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Imposter
nature: Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
ivs: 31/31/31/3/31/2

[SET COMMENTS]

• Imposter!
  • ---How imposter works---
  • Checks setup sweepers.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Max HP stat as only stat that does anything after imposter
  • IVs can be important if you copy Hidden Power. Hidden Power Ice is probably the most effective one overall (hitting Grass types which often use HP). HP Fire is also good
  • Slow speed because it helps in ditto vs ditto PP stall. Max SpD to help against surprise Zoroarks. These are really the only situations in which any of Dittos stats but HP makes any difference.
  • err...lefties?
  • Focus Sash + Rapid Spin/Magic Bounce support. Will sometimes allow a sweep copying a boosted pokemon.
  • Keeping hazards off the field may be a good idea anyway, since Ditto may want to come in several times througout the match. Tentacruel is a good option because it absorbs toxic spikes, and is in danger of becoming setup bait without ditto.
  • Use it if your team doesn't like setup sweepers.
  • Find a way of dealing with bulkier setup mons because they might beat Ditto.
[Other Options]

• No.
[Checks and Counters]

• No real counters
  • Don't set up unless the pokemon you have out can handle Ditto (which is rare for fully offensive sweepers)
  • Bulky pokemon, especially those with higher hp, can handle ditto
  • Substitute blocks Imposter and lets you set up
  • Not especially important, but Zoroark screws Ditto over because Illusion blocks Imposter.
  • Any pokemon heavily reliant on its item performs well against ditto.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Maybe mention Focus Sash with Rapid Spin / Magic Bounce support... This enables Ditto to copy a poke's boosts, without getting locked into a move, so then it is able to sweep easier than the scarf variant. And you still have a 50% chance to outspeed and keep your sash intact, assuming you kill the opposing booster.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Man I have this idea for the set name: The Only One They Have Ever Feared. Obviously, I'm shouting-out to Harry Potter and how Dumbledore was the only one Voldemort ever feared, and I thought it's kind of fitting with all the dangerous sweepers running amok in the metagame, that they and their teams fear Ditto reverse sweeping them. Just an idea.

Anyway, not much to say. QC APPROVED 1/3. I actually forgot I could do that, lol.

you should mention Scarfed Pokemon in general but also Dragon and Ghost types as Checks since they can hit themselves (and thus Imposted Ditto as well) with Super Effective STAB moves. It's more of a gamble to switch in on such opponents due to the speed tie.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Make sure you specifically mention Ditto's vulnerability to entry hazards (its going to be switching multiple times in any given battle; assuming it hasn't copied a boosting sweeper of course).Teams that rely on a ton of hazards are Ditto's worst nightmare, so carrying a spinner (like Tentacruel) couldn't hurt. You also need to mention that Ditto is complete dead weight against Stall-teams.

QC APPROVED (2/3)

The set name is entirely up to you, so make sure you choose a fitting name ;o
PS: In the overview you mention Illusion instead of Imposter.

QC Approved 3/3

Not really anything else to mention that hasn't been already been said. I agree with what you have to say regarding HP:Ice and Fire too.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the comments and stamps guys.

I'm hesitant to mention scarfed pokemon, since they will usually already be locked in when Ditto comes in, and a speed tie can hardly be considered reliable for countering.

As for hazards, I can see them being somewhat annoying, so I'll mention spin/magic bounce support. I'm hesitant to mention any particular spinner though since Ditto doesn't really have "synergy" with anything in particular. As for the stall thing, I mention in the overview the use that Ditto has against stall - it can be a one mon spinner/hazard setter/cleric/whatever. Not as effective, but not useless either. Thanks for that catch in the overview though!

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Thanks for the comments and stamps guys.

As for hazards, I can see them being somewhat annoying, so I'll mention spin/magic bounce support. I'm hesitant to mention any particular spinner though since Ditto doesn't really have "synergy" with anything in particular. As for the stall thing, I mention in the overview the use that Ditto has against stall - it can be a one mon spinner/hazard setter/cleric/whatever. Not as effective, but not useless either. Thanks for that catch in the overview though!
I mentioned Tentacruel because it can also absorb Toxic Spikes (which are really annoying for the Ditto player).

Maybe you should add how Ditto screws over Baton Pass teams, if manages to steal all their boosts and pass it to another Pokemon. On the other side I don't know wether Baton Pass teams should get a mention in a competive analysis.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It prolly screws over SmashPass more than standard Baton Pass. SmashPass is traditionally much faster paced, and actually lacks Substitute most of the time, which lets Ditto switch in and steal boosts with ease. With that said, actual Baton Pass teams will have an easier time against Ditto, since they can run Substitute on pretty much everything (to stop Critical Hits) which means Ditto cannot copy the boosts as easily.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The set name should be "The Bestest Set Ever", playing off the name of the old Ditto analyses which had the name "The Best Set Ever".

248 HP EVs is better than 252 HP EVs in this situation, as it allows an extra switch-in when hazards are on the field.

I also think that this analysis should mock the old Ditto analyses that made fun of him. Ditto's Revenge could be a fitting set name (considering Ditto is a revenge-killer and Smogon dissed it for the past few years).

not really, its not weak to rocks and unlike other pokemon it can't throw the ev's into another stat since it has no other stat to put the ev's in to. It does hazards before transforming, yes?

Something worth mentioning (that happened to me the other day), if your opponent has Ditto, don't get cocky with stat boosts. I have nothing else to say bar reconsidering the HP EVs in terms of passive damage.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For IVs, 30 Spe gives a base 70 Hidden Power Ice, while 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe gives a base 70 Hidden Power Fire. Hopefully that will help.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Then why not just make it 2? You still have HP whatever 70, but you also get the absolute lowest speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)