Excadrill

You know, that's a good question. I don't think I've seen more than three teams set up rocks on me, and none of them have packed Dory. I know he survives Jolly's rock slide with about a third of his Hp, so I would assume he'd survive on Jolly, but not Adamant

You know, that's a good question. I don't think I've seen more than three teams set up rocks on me, and none of them have packed Dory. I know he survives Jolly's rock slide with about a third of his Hp, so I would assume he'd survive on Jolly, but not Adamant
Sounds to me like you've just been facing bad teams.

According to the Smogon calculator a +0 LO Adamant(405 attack) Rock Slide deals 51.2% - 60.5% damage to 0 Defense Adamant/Jolly Cloyster.. Not sure if that's with 4 HP or not, but it shouldn't make any difference since that's only 1 additional HP.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
He would be a shacky counter any way if he dont survives any +2 attack of dory (remember stab EQ got the same BP as SE Rock Slide and at +2 even return would KO i think).
And getting a SD boost isnt too hard with Dory thanks too numerous resistances.
Your best bets at countering him are Ropushin/Breloom and things like Gliscor/Skarmory/Hippowdon although Skarmory propably isnt the best counter as it cant do much except for phazing him and can get 2hkoed (but only SpDef variants i think) by rock slide wich got a nice flinch chance.

He would be a shacky counter any way if he dont survives any +2 attack of dory (remember stab EQ got the same BP as SE Rock Slide and at +2 even return would KO i think).
And getting a SD boost isnt too hard with Dory thanks too numerous resistances.
Your best bets at countering him are Ropushin/Breloom and things like Gliscor/Skarmory/Hippowdon although Skarmory propably isnt the best counter as it cant do much except for phazing him and can get 2hkoed (but only SpDef variants i think) by rock slide wich got a nice flinch chance.
I agree.
Though I'd point out Techniloom and Gliscor/Gligar above the others.
Techniloom's Mach Punch just hits like a truck and bypasses sand throw, while Gliscor/Gligar's immunity to earthquake allow for very safe switch ins and Sand Veil variants will love to take advantage of Dory's sand storm to make Rock Slide hidiously inaccurate.

Unfortunatly, unless you're running Jolly or using Sandstorm, its defences will probably end up destroying any potential sweeps it can do. It's a great Pokemon, just not without the aid of Sandstorm. Intially faster Pokes with super effective moves will render it harmless.

Unfortunatly, unless you're running Jolly or using Sandstorm, its defences will probably end up destroying any potential sweeps it can do. It's a great Pokemon, just not without the aid of Sandstorm. Intially faster Pokes with super effective moves will render it harmless.
Keeping Sandstorm up isn't unreasonably difficult.

Unless your opponent plans on using Ninetales to revenge kill Dory. Which is certainly a possibility, but it's still just one specific situation.

Good point. It'll be dominant in any Sandstorm team, I just believe without any Sandstorm support it won't be used as frequently.
I use Dory on both my regular and Baton Pass teams. Personally, having T-tar or hippo is almost necessary with Dory. Though you don't need to base your whole team around sandstorm, I only keep T-tar on my team as a precaution against rain, sun and hail teams. Doryuuzu its a great Pokemon to have; mine is responsible for a lot of my wins (though I have to give the MVP awards to Urugamoth and Togekiss). Dory NEEDS speed boosts either from Sand or from baton pass.

Also Balloon is the best item for dory seeing that one of his best revenge-killers is himself. Many times people just go to their earthquakes and expect a clean OhKO, the Balloon prevents it, it also allows you to set up a Swords dance or Rapid Spin away entry hazards. Balloon forces them to use non ground attacks, and considering the popularity of EdgeQuake, probably won't hurt all that much.

Personally, having T-tar or hippo is almost necessary with Dory.
You are not alone.

Also Balloon is the best item for dory seeing that one of his best revenge-killers is himself. Many times people just go to their earthquakes and expect a clean OhKO, the Balloon prevents it, it also allows you to set up a Swords dance or Rapid Spin away entry hazards. Balloon forces them to use non ground attacks, and considering the popularity of EdgeQuake, probably won't hurt all that much.
One of his other best revenge killers is Roobushin. And Technitop and Breloom. Also, there's a message saying "Doryuuzu is holding a balloon so don't earthquake it" whenever you switch it out on PO. And it pops. I like Chople.

I've yet to decide if I prefer Hippowdon, or Tyranitar as Doryuuzu's 'must have' partner. While Tyranitar shares the horrible Fighting weakness, Tyranitar can actually eliminate Skarmory, whereas Hippowdon suffers. Hippowdon on the other hand can actually switch into priority Fighting attacks..

I've yet to decide if I prefer Hippowdon, or Tyranitar as Doryuuzu's 'must have' partner. While Tyranitar shares the horrible Fighting weakness, Tyranitar can actually eliminate Skarmory, whereas Hippowdon suffers. Hippowdon on the other hand can actually switch into priority Fighting attacks..
Use both. It's handy having a back up for setting up weather, and they're good Pokemon in their own right.
If you include both Tyranitar and Hippowdon as partners for Doryuuzu, then you'll be increasing your weakness to Water attacks. I'd rather have one of them as a partner, depending on what my team fears more (Skarmory or Fighting priority moves).

From playing around, I've found that in addition to Balloon, CHOPLE Berry is also quite effective. When I wasn't using Doryuuzu myself, I typically found myself resorting to Mach Punchers like my trusty Bulk Up Roobushin to take out the mole. I never saw a Colbur Berry, but thought I'd try it out. I took a Mach Punch and KO'd with a +2 Earthquake against various punchers like Infernape, Breloom, and Roobushin. I don't have access to calcs at this point, but it's been an interesting option. Colbur Berry also doesn't announce to the world "Hi guise, i im floatingz!", which can lead to a surprise in some cases. I also save Doryuuzu for the absolute last if I can, possibly not even setting up sandstorm with my ScarfTar until lategame when it's necessary.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: There. Fixed the berry name. Whoops!

Unless ditto is banned, this thing has a 100% counter, which can go on to sweep the rest of their team. Furthermore, its weak to aqua jet, mach punch and vacuum wave and can't to jack to skarmory, who just laughs and sets up spikes

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, and Aqua Jet do not OHKO. Ditto does not counter a Doryuuzu holding a Baloon. Before you spout random information, like what it's weaknesses are, think more about what they entail. The only priority moves capable of OHKOing outright are Breloom's Mach Punch, Hitmontop's Mach Punc or CB Azumarill's Aqua Jet. And if you're truly prepared to use Azumarill or Hitmontop in OU, then you are a braver man than I.

Only breloom seems to be a viable counter outside of weather changers, but breloom can be dealt with by switching in a fighting resist or immunity and outspeeding it, which is easily done. Walls get swords danced on, dory can run adamant because it is so fast and just attack thru them. If you roar/haze ect. dory out, sandstorm will still be up and come back in and sweep. Average defensives + steel typing and always attacking first means 1 swords dance a game with ease, compare it to rapid spin starmie: higher defensices stats, more resists and is faster. Skarmony can't exactly set up spikes all day. This thing is an un-stoppable beast.

Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, and Aqua Jet do not OHKO. Ditto does not counter a Doryuuzu holding a Baloon. Before you spout random information, like what it's weaknesses are, think more about what they entail. The only priority moves capable of OHKOing outright are Breloom's Mach Punch, Hitmontop's Mach Punc or CB Azumarill's Aqua Jet.
Alright, fair points, but skarmory can pop the balloon, if you're carrying one. If you don't have skarmory, its sometimes possible just to U-turn out with a faster poke. I'll admit I overstated ditto's use here, but he is a very solid revenger of Dory, still, if you're packing Skarmory, he's not really too much of a problem.

if you haze dory out with a wirlwind sandstorm is still up and skarmony just took a +2 adamant rock slide of 134 attack stat. Dory is free to come back in (with a sr resist) anytime and sweep again or rapid spin hazards away, brave bird is not going to leave a dent.

No, but the point is, it pops the balloon. Also, if you have spikes up, and maybe a rugged helmet, Dory isn't gonna be doing very much to skarmory

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
From playing around, I've found that in addition to Balloon, Colbur Berry is also quite effective. When I wasn't using Doryuuzu myself, I typically found myself resorting to Mach Punchers like my trusty Bulk Up Roobushin to take out the mole. I never saw a Colbur Berry, but thought I'd try it out. I took a Mach Punch and KO'd with a +2 Earthquake against various punchers like Infernape, Breloom, and Roobushin. I don't have access to calcs at this point, but it's been an interesting option. Colbur Berry also doesn't announce to the world "Hi guise, i im floatingz!", which can lead to a surprise in some cases. I also save Doryuuzu for the absolute last if I can, possibly not even setting up sandstorm with my ScarfTar until lategame when it's necessary.

Just my 2 cents.
You mean Chople Berry right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)