Features you'd like to see in a Pokémon simulator

So, I've started work on a Pokémon simulator. G5, written in Python. Currently nothing worth releasing- working on very, very low-level stuff right now.

My aim in this simulator is to maximize the amount of the workload which is done serverside. As in- not only does the client download Pokémon/moves/items/abilities from the server, but the server performs all calculations. So, the same small client can be used for G5, G1, CAP, and even more esoteric custom servers. Hypothetically, you could, say, add a weather condition. Or change the damage formula. Or replace Pokémon with Star Wars characters. Client mods for that type of thing are unbelievably cumbersome, so by taking this development direction I can create a very powerful, if not quite so easy to run server and a lean, lightweight client.

Of course, while this is something that may be of interest to people like DougJustDoug, it's not relevant to the individual whose sole involvement in the server is as a user! So- I've made this thread to figure out what features are important to people in a Pokémon simulator. I aim to have basic, essential features, of course- battle engine w/ sprites and other fancyness, multiple tiers/ladders, some kind of rating system, chat, support for clauses implemented server-side (probably with Sleep Clause/Species Clause implemented stock; not going to bother with anything which isn't so general to all likely servers yet.) But, beyond these? I'd like comments both from users and administrators- while I don't intend to do dead-simple things like implementing RBY mechanics (something which is entirely possible by editing the pokecalc library and the databases) I'm willing to spend time on something more substantial, if there's sufficient demand.

When I have a working client/server setup, I'll put this up on Sourceforge. Right now, I need to get something usable together. At the moment, I'm still working on the pokecalc library- that's responsible for pretty much every routine (and not so routine, for that matter) calculation you'll encounter in a Pokémon match.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
On the level of "standard fare", I'd love animated sprites for us supercomputer freaks.

On the hacking level, making sure abilities could be made from scratch would be nice.

Animated sprites are probably doable, though not at all high priority.

Yes, you can make abilities. Server customization is the whole point of this thing.

What would a competitive competitor need? An implemented damage calc!!
That's all we need to be happy.

Move animations waste time. No.

For that matter- I'm making a simulator. Not going to give Flygon Dragon Dance. Or Flareon Flare Blitz and a 115 base Speed stat.

Rotation battles are reasonable- I'd been wanting to see a Rotation meta. I can put a damage calc based on the simulator's source up fairly easily, so why not.

It would be better if you made the damage calc accessible from within the simulator (i.e. click a button in the battle window to automatically fill all known information about the current battle state in).

I would love a little button to activate something that checks your team for a few errors such as:

1) Duplicate pokemon
2) Massive type weaknesses (such as 4 ice weak or something)
3) If you didn't give one of them an item.
4) If you forgot to change the nature to one that actually does something.

A button that delivers you pizza through your computer.

All jokes aside, probably a nice feature would be the ability to turn team preview on and off.

I would love a little button to activate something that checks your team for a few errors such as:

1) Duplicate pokemon
2) Massive type weaknesses (such as 4 ice weak or something)
3) If you didn't give one of them an item.
4) If you forgot to change the nature to one that actually does something.
Also:
5) They all have 4 moves
6) they all have max evs
7) make us give them an ability rather than having a default one (I always forget to change it)

maybe something like a coverage calculator? like something where you can put in a few moves, and it can calculate what moves will give you the best coverage with them.

Like, Fighting, no access to ghost. The machine tells you Rock and Dark.
Or like Fire and Ground, and the machine tells you Rock.

maybe something like a coverage calculator? like something where you can put in a few moves, and it can calculate what moves will give you the best coverage with them.

Like, Fighting, no access to ghost. The machine tells you Rock and Dark.
Or like Fire and Ground, and the machine tells you Rock.
Though that may be complicated as you don't want to include crap like Surskit when you make that, or more rare pokemon like Cryogonal.

breh

強いだね
for evs:

make them only come in intervals of 4 (so, on a slider, you can only select multiples of 4... I.E. no 153 evs or similar), make the maximum value per stat 252, and make the maximum spendable 508. It reaaaaally pisses me off when I have to fiddle around with PO sliders. Yeah, it's a really minor issue, but definitely one that grinds my gears.

Follow PO's move and have item icons where your pokemon are.

Seconding that neutral nature idea.

I've always wanted a 'hax-free' tier. Completely remove critical hits, 'full paralysis', confusion, freeze, flinch, and sleep, and all evasion items, abilities and moves, and quick claw from the game. Pure strategy, except for move accuracy. That would be really, really cool.

That's a highly subjective thing though, so just rotation and double battles would be nice.

I personally would like an AI battle option. It'd be something to pass the time with when you get tired of fighting other people, or for testing your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)