Ferrothorn (Uber Analysis)

Topic Title: Ferrothorn Ubers Analysis

Ferrothorn

Done finally

[Overview]

<p>With Ferrothorn's excellent typing, defenses, and movepool, it can play a key role in any Ubers team. With its 10 resistances and 1 immunity, it can switch into many common threats such as Kyogre, Groudon, Palkia, and Zekrom with ease. In conjunction with its support movepool, Ferrothorn's typing helps it to easily switch into a large number of threats and set up entry hazards such as Stealth Rock and Spikes, and annoy opponents with Leech Seed. Its reasonable 94 base Attack also allows it to deal respectable damage to certain offensive threats such as Kyogre and Groudon. They take considerable damage from Power Whip, and many other sweepers such as Mewtwo and Darkrai fear Gyro Ball. Gyro Ball will almost always hit with maximum power thanks to Ferrothorn's minuscule 20 base Speed.</p>

[SET]
name: Uber Support
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Power Whip / Gyro Ball
move 3: Gyro Ball / Leech Seed
move 4: Stealth Rock / Protect / Thunder Wave
item: Leftovers
nature: Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Ferrothorn can be a great support Pokemon with its excellent movepool and typing. It can switch into many sweepers and users of Choice items, and set up entry hazards while the opponent either does little damage or switches. It can repeat this process many times, and can thus aid a stall team greatly. Due to its great typing and decent Attack, it can not only wall certain Pokemon, but also maim Pokemon with its attacks. Power Whip deals significant damage to Kyogre, Tyranitar, Groudon, and Palkia. Gyro Ball deals heavy damage to sweepers such as Mewtwo, Shaymin-S, Giratina-O, and Darkrai. This allows Ferrothorn to take down certain set-up sweepers attempting to boost up their stats while Ferrothorn sets up entry hazards. This makes Ferrothorn exceptionally hard to set up upon and take down. Its ability Iron Barbs allows it to wear down the opponent even further when the opponent makes contact with it. With a combination of Leech Seed and Protect, Ferrothorn can even stall out a sweeper.</p>

<p>Spikes is an obvious move for Ferrothorn. It can set up layers easily and wear down opposing Pokemon when they switch in. Power Whip takes down Kyogre and Groudon, which set up weather that may be undesirable for your team. Gyro Ball can deal heavy damage to frailer sweepers and prevents them from setting up. Leech Seed and Protect are useful for wearing down the opponent as well as providing self-recovery, making Ferrothorn exceptionally hard to take down. Protect can also scout for moves that can KO Ferrothorn, such as Hidden Power Fire and Fire Blast. If your team lacks it, Stealth Rock is vital to hurt any switch-in. Thunder Wave may be used to cripple an opposing sweeper, but should not be used with Gyro Ball as its power will be severely weakened.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The choice between Power Whip and Gyro Ball depends on whether your fear Pokemon that can set up weather, or fast but frail sweepers. If one prefers Ferrothorn to live longer and deal gradual instead of immediate damage, they should run Leech Seed and Protect over Gyro Ball and Stealth Rock. If a team already has a Stealth Rock user, then Ferrothorn may run Leech Seed over Stealth Rock. If Ferrothorn is not running Gyro Ball, a Careful nature may be used. If Ferrothorn's team fears physical sweepers more than special sweepers, then it may run 252 Defense EVs instead of Special Defense.</p>

<p>Rain support is very useful to weaken Fire-type attacks thrown at Ferrothorn. When considering Ferrothorn's immense bulk, it can survive Fire-type attacks that it would normally succumb to in the rain. This makes Ferrothorn even harder to take down. Toxic Spikes support aids Ferrothorn when stalling out opponents with Leech Seed. Giratina-O is a great teammate for Ferrothorn, as their typings complement each other well. Giratina-O can also take down Forretress, preventing it from using Rapid Spin. Ferrothorn fears the sun as it is then vulnerable to common Fire-type moves used by Pokemon such as Ho-Oh, Reshiram, Palkia, and Dialga.</p>

[SET]
name: Uber Choice Band
move 1: Power Whip
move 2: Gyro Ball
move 3: Bulldoze
move 4: Explosion / Spikes
item: Choice Band
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While it seems absurd to slap a Choice Band on such a defensive Pokemon like Ferrothorn, it is surprisingly powerful and can take down many common switch-ins. Ferrothorn has a very reasonable base Attack of 94, which seems low in the Ubers tier until one realizes the power of its STAB Power Whip and Gyro Ball. Due to Ferrothorn's exceptionally low Speed, its Gyro Ball can almost always reach its maximum Base Power, and OHKO many offensive threats such as Mewtwo, Darkrai, and Shaymin-S, while 2HKOing some defensive threats such as Arceus, Lugia, and Giratina-O. Even Chansey is 2HKOed by Power Whip. With such powerful moves, Ferrothorn can easily prevent bulky Calm Mind sweepers such as Kyogre, Arceus, and Giratina-O from setting up on it, and 2HKO common switch-ins, expecting the support set.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Due to Ferrothorn's unimpressive offensive movepool, the last two slots are mainly fillers. Bulldoze can deal reasonable damage to Steel-types that resist both Power Whip and Gyro Ball, such as Dialga, Jirachi, and Steel Arceus. Explosion is a powerful suicide attack Ferrothorn can use at low health, and can be used to prevent Ferrothorn from becoming set-up bait. Leech Seed may also be used for self-recovery and to wear down opponents, but being locked into it would cause obvious problems, and likely force Ferrothorn to switch out. Despite running an offensive set, Ferrothorn is still very bulky, as no Speed EVs are required due to its inablility to outrun anything. This allows it to effectively sponge hits while unleashing powerful attacks.</p>

<p>The following calculations prove how powerful Choice Band Ferrothorn is:</p>

<ul class=”damage_calculation”>
<li>Gyro Ball vs. 4/0 Mewtwo - 99.4% - 117.2%</li>
<li>Gyro Ball vs. 4/0 Darkrai - 125.3% - 147.7%</li>
<li>Gyro Ball vs. 4/0 Shaymin-S - 119.6% - 141.1%</li>
<li>Gyro Ball vs. 4/0 Arceus - 72.3% - 85.1%</li>
<li>Gyro Ball vs. 0/0 Giratina-O - 66.7% - 78.5%</li>
<li>Gyro Ball vs. 32/0 Rayquaza - 89.4% - 105.3%</li>
<li>Gyro Ball vs. 4/0 Reshiram - 47.1% - 55.6%</li>
<li>Gyro Ball vs. 252/64 Lugia - 53.4% - 63%</li>
<li>Power Whip vs. 4/252 Chansey - 58.1% - 68.4%</li>
<li>Power Whip vs. 4/0 Kyogre - 149.7% - 177.2%</li>
<li>Power Whip vs. 252/252+ Groudon - 66.8% - 78.7%</li>
<li>Power Whip vs. 0/0 Palkia - 81.6% - 96.3%</li>
<li>Power Whip vs. 0/0 Tyranitar - 112.4% - 132.6%</li>
</ul>

[Other Options]

<p>Ferrothorn does not have many other options due to its limited movepool. Thunder Wave may be used to cripple common switch-ins to Ferrothorn, at the cost of a weakened Gyro Ball. Explosion may be used as a last resort move or when Ferrothorn has fulfilled its job of setting up entry hazards. Extra Attack EVs on the support set may help in taking down some set-up sweepers. A Curse set is also usable due to Ferrothorn's great bulk and decent power. Such a set could work well with rain support, which weakens Fire-type moves. However, Ferrothorn lacks a reliable recovery move, making it hard for it to survive long. Toxic is useful for crippling opposing Pokemon, preventing them from setting up on Ferrothorn as they will inevitably be worn down. Rest may also be used as it is the only way for Ferrothorn to recover HP aside from Leech Seed, allowing Ferrothorn to regain health in order to set up again. However, using a cleric along with this set is advisable. Rocky Helmet is also an option in order to deal solid damage every time a physical attacker hits Ferrothorn. This is best used in conjunction with Leech Seed and Protect.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Pokemon that resist Ferrothorn's dual STAB attacks can comfortably switch in and set up or KO it. This includes Skarmory, Forretress, Steel Arceus, Ho-Oh, and Reshiram. Just be aware that turns spent switching in or setting up are turns Ferrothorn can use to lay down entry hazards. Any Pokemon with Fire-type attacks in the sun can KO Ferrothorn easily. This includes Pokemon such as Palkia, Dialga, and Rayquaza. However, in the rain, Ferrothorn is a little harder to take down even with Fire-type attacks. Forretress can easily spin away anything Ferrothorn sets up and barely takes any damage from Ferrothorn's attacks. Bulkier Pokemon can also set up on Ferrothorn, provided they have a recovery move and decent defenses. This includes Ghost Arceus and Lugia.</p>

Combine both and just slash the moves. Power whip and spikes are mandatory. Then add Gyro ball / Leech Seed or Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave / Protect

Also Choice Band Nattorei needs to have a set. It 2HKOes most Arceus formes at worst with Gyro Ball.

Cooky

Banned deucer.
The Choice Band set should have Spikes and Stealth Rock slashed over payback, which is completely useless given that Gyro Ball / Power Whip hit everything harder. For reference Nat's CB set is absolutely ferocious, Gyro Ball can OHKO Shandera after SR...

Edit: yeah actually explosion seems like a good idea as well.

Power Whip doesn't 2HKO Support Groudon though. Other than that, I like it :D
Toxic might be useful for crippling walls.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A few too many slashes in my opinion.

name: Support
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Power Whip / Gyro Ball
move 3: Leech Seed
move 4: Protect / Thunder Wave

Is how the first set should look in my opinion. Just mention Gyro Ball can go over other stuff in the Additional Comments section. Stealth Rock i've always found to be a bit of a waste... I think it's AC worthy though.

Mention the fact that the CB set can run Leech Seed in AC IMO.

I also suggest putting up some calcs on CB Nattorei. Gyro Ball vs Reshiram and Power Whip vs Groudon, etc.

QC 1/2.

I'm not too sure on that. The set I ran on natt was SR spikes gyro ball and power whip. I personally think that power whip is vital and stealth rock is still good enough to make it as a slash. I'll mention leech seed.

EDIT: Calcs done. Can someone properly format this?

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You may want to recheck the Gyro Ball vs Reshiram calc. I get 47.1% - 55.6%
from CB Gyro ball using the EVs/IVs listed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Reshiram. I get your current value when I give Reshiram a +1 Def boost. Also, Toxic wouldn't hurt as an OC mention. Good for wearing down stuff like Lugia and works well alongside Leech Seed. Not sure if you were going to make a mention of it, since you didn't include an OC skeleton.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Payback on the CB set is worthless. Every other move hits Payback's targets harder.

I'd change the 4th slot slash order to Explosion/Toxic/Spikes. Explosion with 94 base Attack and CB will still leave huge holes in stuff, and Toxic is great for crippling walls/Ho-Oh switch-ins. Spikes should be the last slash IMO as it makes you total set up bait for practically everything.

Why the F**k would you max out EVs for a Gyro Ball Nattorei? In my opinion Forretress is a much better option.

Lolwut? Natt and forry are totally different.

What defensive pokes do you have in mind? The last time I checked, chansey was a defensive poke.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For the damage calculations, the format is the following:

<ul class=”damage_calculation”>
<li>Calc 1</li>
<li>Calc 2</li>
<li>etc</li>
</ul>

Finished calcs. Can someone tell me whether this is right and whether there should be level ground calcs that aren't too convincing?

Yeah, but there is no overall difference as they both 2HKO after SR and that just proves how powerful Natt is.

Due to Nattorei's exceptionally low speed, its Gyro Ball can almost always reach its maximum power and OHKO many offensive threats such as Mewtwo, Darkrai, Shaymin-S Kyogre as well as 2HKOing some defensive threats such as Arceus, Chansey,
Might wanna remove mention of Chansey there.

I don't think you should leave the Level Ground calcs there, Dialga seems like the only useful one to hit with it and you don't even 2HKO max HP Metagross. I think you should elaborate more on it being used to hit Magnezone and maybe Shandera, because Shandera takes about the same amout from a resisted Gyro Ball anyway.

Needs a Curse set, IMO. My Drizzle team got royally raped by a Curse Nattorei with like, Leech Seed, Power Whip, and Gyro Ball or something the other day. :O

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Does anyone think a swords dance set would be viable?
No; Ferrothorn is probably better off immediately attacking rather than setting up Swords Dance because it usually goes something like this:

1. Switch in Ferrothorn
2. Opponent switches to something with a Fire move
3. Ferrothorn sets up SD
4. Opponent barbeques Ferrothorn / Ferrothorn is forced out

If Ferrothorn actually gets a kill, it is a prime target for getting revenge-killed due to its abysmal speed, a somewhat common 4x weakness (outside of rain), and no reliable recovery option. A Choice set gives the advantage of hurting switch-ins for massive damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)