Pokémon Ferrothorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
How in the hell wasn't there a theard about him yet?
I think it's because little has changed for him so there's little to discuss. All the changes are very minimal to his job. True, you'll need to play around his Fire weakness a bit more as you're unlikely to cover it with rain, but he plays his job extremely effectively. The nerf to Steel doesn't hurt his viability at all...though that same nerf also leaves my team completely neutral to Ghost and Dark.

As a general thought, what do people think make good teammates for Ferrothorn? I've always liked Heatran (simple coverage concept outside Fighting) and Gliscor (Taunt from Gliscor tends to shutdown many common Defog users which ruin Ferrothorn's set ups and, as Clair mentioned above, Ferrothorn can't deal with a lot of them on his own). A detailed report of combinations notes Tentacruel and Jellicent are popular options.

Curious if anybody else has thoughts on how to add team synergy with Ferrothorn.

Ferrotrap:

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Impish + 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpDef
- Power Whip / Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

This is the set I most commonly use. The idea is to create a good switch in opportunity for Ferro, usually coming from any type of physical attacker. Once this happens (do avoid obvious fighting attacks unless it's a weak mach punch from something), switch ferro in, sponge the hit and watch the target rack up iron barb + rocky helmet damage. If the target can be forced out, strike whatever comes out to deal with Ferro with thunder wave, leech seed or set up your rocks, then swap out into something else or stall them out if they prove to be helpless. Power Whip / Gyro Ball is simply there to prevent it from becoming complete setup fodder. Power whip makes Rotom-w, Quagsire and some other threats it walls cry, while Gyro Ball is preferred to hit fast sweepers on the switch. Rotom-W works wonders with this guy. Also has nice synergy with anything that can pass wishes to it.

I've just finished a Band Ferrothorn.
248HP/252Atk/8SpD, Adamant
Poison Jab
Power Whip
Gyro Ball/Iron Head
Payback

Payback seems like a good idea on banded Ferrothorn, as his low Speed nearly guarantees going last or near last, and offers some okay coverage to boot. I may replace Poison Jab with something else in the future.

Ferrothorn isn't nearly as popular this generation, which is a shame because he's still pretty good. I mean, last generation he was practically a god due to how hard he was to fucking kill on rain teams, but he still has his niches this generation.

I think the biggest thing that's hurt him isn't the loss of perma-rain (though that hasn't helped) nor the increase in powerful Flying- or Fire-type attacks (though that hasn't helped) nor losing his resistances to Ghost and Dark (though that hasn't helped). What's really done the poor thing in is the prominence of Defog, and how much easier in general it is to get rid of hazards this generation. Spike-stacking was Ferro's big niche last generation, as it had plenty of opportunities to switch in and lay down hazards, especially if rain was up. Now, getting rid of those hazards is easier than ever, and Ferrothorn has to find other ways to remain relevant.

Personally, I say Spikes on Ferro is not worth it anymore. Spike-stacking is really only relevant on DeoSharp teams nowadays, and Ferrothorn can't beat the most common Defoggers and it doesn't pair too well with other Pokemon that can prevent it. His best hazard responsibility is probably Stealth Rock, as with his bulk and semi-reliable recovery in the form of Leech Seed, he can set Stealth Rock and stay alive long enough to set it up again if need be.

Just a couple calcs involving a few of the metagames more dangerous threats, just to illustrate Ferrothorn still has some viability left in him:

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 48+ Def Ferrothorn: 141-167 (40 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gyarados: 228-270 (68.6 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 204 SpD Ferrothorn: 152-179 (43.1 - 50.8%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 246-290 (72.1 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
200+ SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 204 SpD Ferrothorn: 109-129 (30.9 - 36.6%) -- 4.2% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (106 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 218-258 (55.6 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Yes, there is admittedly quite a few threats he fails to stand up against, but if you need the defensive might that having a Grass-type on your team brings with it, don't forget about Ferrothorn.

Reactions: 56k
Poison Jab
Power Whip
Gyro Ball/Iron Head
Payback

Payback seems like a good idea on banded Ferrothorn, as his low Speed nearly guarantees going last or near last, and offers some okay coverage to boot. I may replace Poison Jab with something else in the future.
Run Knock Off instead of payback, it's so much better. The best option for the last slot is probably Explosion, or Bulldoze against Heatran.

phil

could do worse
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've found Ferrothorn to be very good this gen, either in a defensive core with a specially bulky mon (I like Sylveon for doing this, but you need to accompany it with a Lando-T or something to be able to deal with physical fires (HP fire Latios is also a small issue). It can switch in on a lot of things (Azumarill assuming it doesn't carry Superpower or bands itself into another move, Lando-T, Megasaur assuming it doesn't carry HP fire and you have spikes to stack etc.), and allows you to set up rocks if your team lacks a rocker, Leech seed to hurt mons coming in, Thunder Wave to cripple stuff like the Zards and Keldeo, and obviously Spikes and Stealth Rock.

Here is my preferred Ferrothorn set (I don't rate Rocky Helmet at all, I feel Leftovers recovery is too good to miss out on).

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spikes/Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

The set pretty much explains itself, I don't run Protect purely because I can't fit it on, it's not 100% necessary and the other 4 moves are more important.

ferrothorn is getting scarier as the metagame shifts. there are very few offensive fire types in ou, and with talon and zard steadily becoming less popular as people explore other stuff, ferro is on the incline. if you have no answer to it other than, say, garchomp EQ or thundurus focus blast, then it becomes very difficult to kill. very few defensive pokes make themselves such a priority threat imo

Crooks

Banned deucer.
Efficient set-up and does the job it's supposed to do every battle.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Power Whip

Ferrothorn has lost it's usage because mega venasaur can wall it for days and simply mega venasaur can do all the things Ferrothorn does but better aside from putting rocks up. And lastly one fire move doesn't put venasaur to the gutter like it does to Ferrothorn

phil

could do worse
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ferrothorn has lost it's usage because mega venasaur can wall it for days and simply mega venasaur can do all the things Ferrothorn does but better aside from putting rocks up. And lastly one fire move doesn't put venasaur to the gutter like it does to Ferrothorn
Mega-Venusaur doesn't really wall it as much as Ferro walls it, assuming it's not carrying HP fire. If you're running Spikes and/or TWave you can take advantage of it very quickly.

Mega-Venusaur doesn't really wall it as much as Ferro walls it, assuming it's not carrying HP fire. If you're running Spikes and/or TWave you can take advantage of it very quickly.
With clerics and defoggers running around I feel like that's not a big issue to be honest cause most Ferrothorn sets are rocks gyro ball leech seed and filler

up till now does ferro get knock off or not? still wondering about it
It does get Knock Off last gen. But apparently, Ferrothorn cannot get Knock Off now in gen 6.

Efficient set-up and does the job it's supposed to do every battle.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Power Whip
You would want to partner that set with a Flash Fire user that doesn't get any super effective attacks against Fighting.

~Caitlyn ♥

Poison Jab
Power Whip
Gyro Ball/Iron Head
Payback

Replace it with bulldoze. You lure in Heatran and then BAM!

Replace it with bulldoze. You lure in Heatran and then BAM!
252+ Atk Choice Band Ferrothorn Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 328-388 (84.9 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
(328, 332, 336, 340, 344, 348, 352, 356, 360, 364, 368, 372, 376, 380, 384, 388)

4 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Ferrothorn: 376-448 (107.1 - 127.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(376, 384, 388, 396, 396, 400, 408, 412, 412, 420, 424, 432, 432, 436, 444, 448)

Unless you are assuming prior damage on heatran or rocks, you still lose.

252+ Atk Choice Band Ferrothorn Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 328-388 (84.9 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
(328, 332, 336, 340, 344, 348, 352, 356, 360, 364, 368, 372, 376, 380, 384, 388)

4 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Ferrothorn: 376-448 (107.1 - 127.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(376, 384, 388, 396, 396, 400, 408, 412, 412, 420, 424, 432, 432, 436, 444, 448)

Unless you are assuming prior damage on heatran or rocks, you still lose.
I'm factoring rocks
Because I ALWAYS use them(dont know about other people)

I'm factoring rocks
Because I ALWAYS use them(dont know about other people)
You won't always have the chance to get rocks up before you'll need to put your set to the test. Yes, rocks is un-arguably one of, if not the, most important parts of the metagame, but with defog' new buff it gets harder to keep the rocks in play that your calc are depending on.

You won't always have the chance to get rocks up before you'll need to put your set to the test. Yes, rocks is un-arguably one of, if not the, most important parts of the metagame, but with defog' new buff it gets harder to keep the rocks in play that your calc are depending on.
Oh. OK. My Deoxys Speed usually gets some rocks up.

Ferrothorn is godly, dismissing all of the haters on this thread I'll share my set.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet

252 Def. 252 HP 4 Att.
+Def -Speed

Leech Seed
Stealth Rock
Protect
Gyro Ball

I use him in OU and he's an amazing lead. Regardless of the ever present fire typing in OU he doesn't give a damn. Awesome defenses coupled with the Rocky Helm/Iron barbs duo he's nothing to fuck with. I'm not big on damage calculations because I'm not a nerd but he can tank hits nicely (aforementioned). I use him as a lead in every game which is painfully obvious to the opposition but regardless of the ever present darma and victini he can easily just set up a leech seed and take a nice fire hit to the chest while doling out item and ability damage and then regaining some with leech seed. He can then precede to use protect on the next obvious fire move and gain more HP. Then he switches out into a better match up and can be used as death fauder later against a physical mon thus doling out more ability and item damage. However I know some fuckin garchomp cocksucking nerd is going to reply to this comment with a bunch of calculations and reasons why ferrothorn is the failest mon ever so I guess none of my aforementioned information and sets are highly regarded. Thanks for your time for those of you who read this post and enjoyed it. Cheers

EDIT: Also, against a dragon dancer and baton passing Ninjask/Yanmega his gyro ball is fuckin godly. There's been many a time where I OHKO a +2/3/4 speed booster with this big sack of steel and pumpkin seeds.

Thunder Wave and Leech Seed have always been my favorite things about Ferrothorn. With the amount of things that he walls it is so beneficial to paralyze or seed the wall breaker they will switch to. While Rocky Helmet can be devastating, the constant recovery from Leech Seed, coupled with Leftovers, increases your longevity just soo much, it's really worth it. I'm thinking about making a set with Iron Head though. If you have trouble with Clefable for instance, Thunder Wave fortunately still affects Clefable regardless of his ability, and this allows you to hit with SE Iron Head. Even if it got a Cosmic Power or two in, between Leftovers, paralysis and Iron Head flinching, the odds are in your favor. The issue is the third slot. Power Whip is great for Rotom-W, Hippowdon and Keldeo, Protect can provide vital periods of free health as well as scout, and the ability to lay Stealth Rock can leave a slot open on your Heatran, Landorus-T, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)