First important question of the new year:

Is the . in -.- a nose or a mouth?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's clearly a mouth! The idea never even crossed my mind that it could be nose.

Same scenerio...

Not sure what to say about this, however.

I always thought that faces using letters such as n.n or 6.6 had the . as a nose and just showed the eyes, as a lot of expressions can be deduced from someone's eyes. I just assumed because of the shape of it and the relative distances, -.- was the eyes and the nose showing a superb amount of fucks being given.
Eh, could be either, but I maintain that it's a nose.

No serious, I remember looking at some the strips when I was 5 or somethin. We even have a couple of those large collections and he never turns enough so you see it sticking out mcuh, haha. Then in one of them, he mentions his nose, and I was like, "oh." Pretty easy to see it now.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
it's completely a nose. it's one of those faces where the mouth is going to be just as stone faced as the rest of the emote obv since it's - - for the eyes and the nose is just like .

if you want to see the mouth this is what it looks like -.-

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The dot on dogbert is a nose and if you disagree I am not sure what to tell you...

that's a dog see how his nose is a black dot?

the dogbert is clearly a nose but -.- is not dogbert, its a disgruntled "are you kidding me" look with the tightened lips of disapproval

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
At some point we are going to be forced to admit that images and symbols we see are interpreted individually by first impressions and earlier experience, thus making a definite answer unlikely if not impossible.

But I disgress, let's bash opinions for 5 more pages.

This isn't hard to see at all lol. It's definitely a nose. If it were a mouth I'm sure the face would be more like this -o- , It doesn't look cool but looks more like a mouth than -.-

This isn't hard to see at all lol. It's definitely a nose. If it were a mouth I'm sure the face would be more like this -o- , It doesn't look cool but looks more like a mouth than -.-
This isn't hard to see at all lol. It's definitely a mouth. If it were a nose I'm sure the face would be more like this -∆- , It doesn't look cool but looks more like a nose than -.-

canno

formerly The Reptile
It's a mouth, who the fuck has a nose that's just a dot? (fuck you, other animals)

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Moral of the story is: even people with the same name can often be split upon issues such as this one!

As I said before, I do believe it is a mouth, but I have a somewhat more educated opinion now. The emoticon -.-, like all emoticons, is meant to express an emotion, and the parts of the face that signify emotion are the eyes and mouth. There's a great quote from The Great Gatsby where Nick Carraway says of Meyer Wolfsheim, the jew who fixed the World Series, that he has a "very expressive nose." The oddity of this quote only proves my point! It's extremely odd to think of a nose as expressing an emotion.

Therefore, it is a mouth. Smileys just don't have noses in them :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)