Funniest Pokemon Stories

Hmm... a few days ago, I was nuzlocking, and found a shiny Cacnea. It's my first (and only to this day) shiny.

It was on emulator...

Reactions: JES

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In a match, anytime an opponent throws out a preemptive and offensive GG, and then loses. My return GG always seems so satisfying o3o

In one specific case, my opponent did that and I survived with 4% HP and then KO'd back for the win.

He said "WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN???" ...you'd think he'd learn his lesson by now.

Also, this isn't my story, but it's still the greatest thing ever:

[youtube]-AlhaJF5Afw[/youtube]

i was about 6 and saw a drifloon. did you know you dont have to use a masterball to catch them?learned that the hard way!i threw my only masterball because that was my only ball and regret it to this day

I have several funny Pokémon stories.

After being able to get three Swords Dances off on my Scolipede, I was well on my way to 6-0 this random kid. He sends out Charizard. I laugh and use Rock Slide...which misses. I'm at low health so I'm scared. He uses Fly. I said out loud, "I need Fly to miss." I knew that it wouldn't, but I went ahead and stayed in. I naturally miss again thanks to being faster. Then, a miracle happened: Charizard missed. Both of us just started laughing in addition to the normal reactions (Me: "YES!" Him: "NO!"). I then proceeded to completely sweep.
EDIT: No, I'm not bragging about 6-0ing some kid. It's more the fact that we both missed with high acc moves in a row.

The story of my first rival's name is funny cause it was kinda stupid. A short time prior, I was really annoyed at someone on TV and called them a "Dummit". When I got Platinum for my 16th birthday, I wanted to honor the age old tradition of naming your rival something rude, but I didn't want to go with the obvious. So I named him "Dummit". Shame since I actually like Barry.
In relation to that, I've twice came up with alternate names for Blue that were in the same vein. Once I named him "Steven" after a friend of mine (we both called him various things that would end up as alternate names for Blue). Recently, after watching the trollfest that is known as School Days, I gave Blue the worst insult imaginable:

Well, we do see Blue on a Nice Boat.

Finally, this is a very recent one. I was looking up the soundtrack for Pokémon the First Movie. And I noticed one song called "Makin' My Way (Any Way That I Can)". It's best described as generic pop that wasn't actually in the film (or Pikachu's Vacation). But here's something that made me laugh: the singer is Billie Piper, best known for playing Rose Tyler in Doctor Who. This is further evidence that Ash Ketchum is really a Time Lord.
Added funny: every one in the comment section is geeking out over this fact.

The following is not my story, but it is hilarious:
Recently, YouTuber NateWantstoBattle was doing a randomizer Nuzlocke of Black 2. At this point, he had gotten the final badge and had just caught a Latias. He was pleased with his catch. After adding it to his party, he went to see what else would spawn on that route. This is the result (WARNING: ADULT LANGUAGE).
At least it wasn't Shiny.

Lanturn used thunder wave!
It bounced back because of Espeon's Magic Bounce!
Lanturn healed HP with it's volt absorb!
/ded
You just win.

Last edited:
Not necessarily in-game, but I just started a new Nuzlocke. My brother comes over and watches me, and then says "I want to play X. Can I use your game?" which I then firmly say no. He asks why not and I tell him I'm using it right now, and I want to use it for the future. I then tell him he could buy Y. He says no, saying he wants to save money. The thing is my brother hoards his cash it seems like, he has at least $200. So I start chanting "Get Y!" every time he walks over. Eventually this led to an argument about how he never buys anything, and how I'm pissed that he asked me to buy it for him AND give him my silly putty if he buys it on his own.

It's kinda funny now.

That was yesterday.

Years ago, I was helping my friend train his in-game Diamond team in the swampy route west of Pastoria city so he could beat Crasher Wake...I was watching TV while he was mashing A to beat the wild Pokémon, when suddenly I heard the shiny noise. He completely freaked out and cried out with joy when his eyes met the shiny Shellos on the screen, and his Staravia was gradually whittling its health with Quick attack, and when it was in the red zone, I reached over to his touch screen and pressed wing attack for him, knocking out the Shellos xD I was nearly crying with laughter, and he stormed out in a strop.
I felt bad after that, so I hacked him a brand new shiny shellos with perfect IV's and a modest nature, and we've been great friends ever since :)
Good thing you did that, otherwise I'd have clicked the dislike button...if there was one! I'm sure he appreciated the perfect IVs!

One of the funniest things I've ever seen is Chuggaaconroy have the audacity to taunt a Kyogre in an Emerald playthrough, and knock out his Blaziken not with Hydro Pump, not with a critical hit Double Edge, but with Sheer Cold:

To save time, just fast forward to 8:24. This isn't the first time Kyogre hit with Sheer Cold either!

Last edited:
Good thing you did that, otherwise I'd have clicked the dislike button...if there was one! I'm sure he appreciated the perfect IVs!

One of the funniest things I've ever seen is Chuggaaconroy have the audacity to taunt a Kyogre in an Emerald playthrough, and knock out his Blaziken not with Hydro Pump, not with a critical hit Double Edge, but with Sheer Cold:

To save time, just fast forward to 8:24. This isn't the first time Kyogre hit with Sheer Cold either!
Of course it wasn't, it was a LP! You always have worse luck in a LP.

Let's not forget the infamous Nest Ball Groudon Scream.

Update on my story: Me and my mom went to Target to buy some cookies because she felt bad we were late to a doctor's appointment, and we saw Pokemon Y. Decided we should get it for brother because he's been helping to watch younger brother a lot because I keep needing to go Science Olympiad meeting, doctor appointments, etc.

He loves it.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
When my little brother and I were a lot younger, we both had Platinum and neither of us knew how trade evolution worked, so I had a Level ~75 Scyther and he had a Level ~75 Magmar. He was able to figure out that Magmar was somehow related to the Magmarizer, though, so he gave it to hold. One day we were Link Battling.
Scyther used Thief!
Scyther stole the opposing Magmar's Magmarizer!
He got SO MAD at me because he didn't know that he automatically got it back afterwards! He also thought that Pokémon in the Battle Frontier would be leveled down permanently, so he steered clear of that place.

A few months ago, I was playing an emerald randomizer nuzlocke and I had a Swalot with Ingrain. I was lucky enough to get Leftovers (I randomized the items as well) and the combination of Leftovers + Ingrain + lots of hp EV grinding let it stall past a lot of opponents. However, after using Ingrain against a mon I cannot remember, I realized that their attacks were a 3HKO. I assumed it could not do enough damage before they KOed it, so I tryed to switch out to a mon with a type advantage.

I couldn't switch out, due to Ingrain's trapping mechanic...

I was right about not being able to deal enough damage, and Swalot fainted soon after.

Apparently, Swalot used Destiny Bond before it died, since 1 mon died on Victory Road and my other 3 mons fainted at the Elite Four. I barely won against Wallace with my remaining 2 mons. Although I'm pretty sure that would not have happened if the champion was using fully evolved pokemon and I wasn't using a Dragonite :P

Oh did I mention the shiny I found in Black and White? Fun premise here...I was growing bored of my White, so I decided I would resart the game but not save. Sounds fun huh? Go through the storyline again and then go back to my original game.
So, I restart, and on Route 1, I am "grinding" a little to get an edge.
A shiny Patrat appears.
The first shiny I had ver found in Black and White was on a file I could not save...talk about irony
I'm no expert, but couldn't you have traded it away? I don't exactly know how the mechanics work.

Ok so I just created an account so I could make this, and I am ashamed that I had to look up the evolution of vullaby to complete registration ... don't tell anyone.
Ok so my first game was pokemon pearl. Btw, when I say first game, I mean literally the first interactive thing I have ever owned. Pokemon was my first and I am proud. So I was like six years old, I got the game after all the events ended and black +white was already getting remade. So I just played like any normal kid. Getting stuck, wondering what was what. I could read pretty well, so I didn't have too much of a problem there. my favorite type was imidately fire, because what six year old kid doesn't like fire? I named chimchar Firemonkey ('cause that is what it was). I caught about 3 pc boxes of ponyta, because they where pretty much the only thing i could find that looked like fire. So I was about 3/4 the way through the game, and I was at the safari zone, looking for some rare pokemon, when suddenly, a crogung pops out! I have seen them before, but this one is all glittery and sparkly- I WANT IT!!!!! Panicking, I just through balls at it, because mud is too evil. Then, it runs away! I am kind of upset, because it was special. I hang around that same area for the remainder of my entire safari zone carreir in hopes of finding it again, to no prevail. I continue my journey and go up that big mountain in the middle of the region, because the bad guys are doing stuff there. So I go up there, I am almost at the summit, and there is snow everywhere. I was following one of the baddies to the nest, but then he just disappeared into the side of the mountain! I look at it for a moment, and see nothing. After a couple of hours of investigating, I leave and train my pokemon. For a couple months, I just do contests, battles, that stuff.... I'm like seven at that point so I go back up there, hoping the bad guys didn't move a mucle in almost a year, and to my amazement, I find a little dark patch it the wall- A DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!!!!!!!!!!!! Hallelujah!!!! I go in and continue with the story, catch Palkia and give it some weird immature name and leave. When time comes to defeat the last gym, the whole place has a power outage, and I just wander for a couple more months, hoping they can fix it. I go and catch all the unkowns, hoping that does the trick, and a guy digs a tunnel, leaving way for me to catch the punctuation. i go back and they have the power on, so I am happy. I go and beat the elite four, and Cynthia is like " we need to preserve your pokemon forever!!" So she has the nerve to take away my pokemon without my consent and place them in a weird machine that looks like a psycopatic nurse joy would use, and then a ten minute cut-scene for credits. I worked so hard, and she STOLE THEM!!!! I start crying, hardcore. Tears covered my face. When I get back home, check my pokemon in the menu, and they are there!!! I slowly whipe away my tears, still sniffling, and start smiling, because it is good to know that my pokemon are still with me. I go fly somewhere with my starapter, and just do whatever for the next little bit. A few months- few years later, I am just wandering around sinnoh, happy. Then, a pokemon apprears out of nowhere! Well, technically from tall grass. IT'S A PINK BONSLY!!!!!!!! I actually know what shinies are now, so I want it! I name it pinky... it was just the cutest thing I have ever seen!. Later on, I got white 2 and transfer it. IT EVOLVES. I think it's gonna be even cuter now.... oh, wait- now it is the color if diahreah. Can I change its name? No.

Also, I don't know if pokemon go counts, but just now i used a lucky egg and evolved a bunch of pokemon just so I could get the level up bonus for pokeballs to catch a rapidash. I caught it, but then I was just frantically trying to earn more XP, so I just started fighting a zubat. It escaped every greatball I threw(keep in mind that i got 15 greatballs per level up). I leveled up again, and started battling a differant zubat..... and used up all my great balls on it. I don't think I can laugh about it yet. I dont even like zubat.

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Also why does it say fat in front of quotes?
A quick search gives me this:
Don't worry, the forum is not mocking you when it does this! It simply is adding the "fat" because of an old joke in which the quote box was changed to say fat, and it just kind of stuck. This naturally happens, no matter the quote, and there is no need to put any additional tagging to add it. This also means that this is unable to be removed, but don't let it bug you too much!
That was a cool story, by the way. Thanks for sharing it, and as everyone says, welcome to Smogon.

Okay. This one isn't about me, really, more like my older brother.

So, When I was about 8 and my older brother was ten, he started a game on his file of Pokemon Platinum> everyhting was going as normal until we realized that his Grotle was female. At the time, we didn't know about different egg groups and thought Pokemon could only be bred with one of their own kind. We basically freaked out, since getting another starter was basically unheard of (to us). We immediately got in touch with our young friend, who was nine at the time. We asked to borrow her Torterra from her copy of pearl, and she, being agreeable, gave it to him. I don't know if we ever got around to breeding turtwigs. My older bro set the game aside for a while, and we kind of forgot about it. Later, by older brother went to gamestop looking to trade it some games, and it doesn't take Bill Nye the science guy to figure out what happened Next. My older brother traded in the copy of platinum, in the process destroying my friend's torterra.

The funny part of all this is the insane amount of crap we gave him about it afterwords- even to this day, it's still a running gag between us.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: JES
This one was for my friend. we were all playing through gen 4 together, she's in forest with whats her face w the green hair
shiny wurmple. it was her first shiny
catches it, names it, adds it to her team
5 mins later her game freezes.
bye bye shiny

When people say 1st gen is the best i laugh oh these closed minded naive fools, all gens are great in there own way and bring something new to the table

One day I was bored and I figured I would go breed a shiny Zorua on Omega Ruby, so I went to route 101 to find a female to start breeding. While on my search I see a flash of particles and look at my 3DS to see a shiny Zorua! Granted, it didn't have the right nature or IVs, but it was definitely amusing.

I'll cop out and tell you that I basically almost got hit by a car for a Snorlax in Pokemon Go.
Instead I just bumped against the car as it started moving past the stop sign, but that would've been close.

Worst part is I didn't even catch the Snorlax.

Once again the battle maison AI sure can be quirky sometimes when you're just starting a streak, as I just completed a fight where a Typhlosion and a Gastrodon took turns setting up Sunny Day and Rain Dance over and over and over.

Then there's I don't know how many cases of setting up Trick Room just to overwrite it with another Trick Room. Especially on Mixed Doubles.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
I heard about this a long time ago, but some guy was playing Pokemon Colosseum, and he was on the final boss and all he had was Espeon and the other guy had only 1 mon. He knew Psychic wouldn't kill and that he lost, so he threw the controller at the wall and got a crit that won him the battle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)