Pokémon Garchomp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but the problem is Fire Blast/Thrower hits hard Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Forretress. Brick Break hits decently only Ferrothorn. About ice types, they're already covered by Iron Head.

Yeah, but the problem is Fire Blast/Thrower hits hard Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Forretress. Brick Break hits decently only Ferrothorn. About ice types, they're already covered by Iron Head.
thats true, you can tell I am completely alert and on the ball today, I would go with Flamethrower then, its dependable and even though its a SpAtk move, it makes most pokemon like Ferrothorn and Forretress cry with a x4 boost on them, and it makes Skarmory cringe

Does mega Garchomp count in this thread? Because I like to use it more than the regular Garchomp. Don't get me wrong Choice Scarfed Garchomp is good and even deadly as a setup sweeper but Mega Garchomp is my preference.

I want to try running a defensive garchomp and your post looks effective, especially judging all the likes it got.

I'm used to a defensive mon running full HP and defensive ev's could you just humor me and explain why defensechomp runs a lot of speed ev's?
I can't see that anyone has answered this for you.

Those Speed EVs were for outspeeding base-forme Lucario before it megavolved and OHKOing it with EQ, before M-Lucario got booted. I've since scaled back my speed EVs to let it outspeed Jolly Excadrill, and invested those few extra EVs into bulk. As useful as it is to be able to tank a hit, it's still more useful to outspeed the opposing threat and knock it out before sustaining any damage.

well, even though its a SpAtk move, Flamethrower is always an option for Garchomp but I think I would run one with Brick Break serving a dual purpose, letting it take advantage of combining its x2 damage on pesky ice types, and giving it the ability to break barriers that otherwise would be very annoying for him
0 SpA Garchomp Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 146-172 (43.7 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 176-208 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

If you can't 2HKO the thing you're trying to lure, and it just roosts off the damage / defogs / sets up rocks then you haven't accomplished a thing.

Last edited:
What would be a good EV spread with Mega Garchomp? I've only used scarfed Chomp, si I have almost no experience with this thing. Would a 252 in HP and Atk, 4 in SP attack and Brave nature or do I need the speed?

And is Fire Blast a good option with Sword Dance, or should I go for Edge-Quake + Dragon Claw

My current setup with Garchomp is,

Naughty Nature
Item: Garchompite

Dragon Rush
Earthquake
Sandstorm
Hone Claws

I use a baton passer to give evasion and agility before passing, and then start with mega evolution and Hone Claws. Then I buff up with Sandstorm before alternating between Earthquake and Dragon Rush depending on type of opponent.

I keep Snorlax sidelined for extra support and yawn if needed for setup. It involves a bit of extensive setup, but the evasion from baton pass makes it a sinche. Biggest concerns are never miss moves, and priority attacks in the first two turns.

Last edited:
My current setup with Garchomp is,

Naughty Nature
Item: Garchompite

Dragon Rush
Earthquake
Sandstorm
Hone Claws

I use a baton passer to give evasion and agility before passing, and then start with mega evolution and Hone Claws. Then I buff up with Sandstorm twice before alternating between Earthquake and Dragon Rush depending on type of opponent.

I keep Snorlax sidelined for extra support and yawn if needed for setup. It involves a bit of extensive setup, but the evasion from baton pass makes it a sinche. Biggest concerns are never miss moves, and priority attacks in the first two turns.
You are missing out on a great amount of power and coverage (The well known Edgequake) by not using Stone Edge, a Sand Force SE coming off 170 attack is deadly and it allows you to 1hko the likes of Salamance on the switch (Who outspeed Mega Garchomp)
And that 120 base special attack is too good to to be used, and allows you to take care of Skarmory.

I've been using this Mega Garchomp recently, protected by Dual Screens. It doesn't like burns but its not completely useless with a burn as it can hit hard with Draco Meteor and Fire Blast.

Confused Shark (Garchomp) @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 236 Atk / 248 HP / 24 SAtk
Brave Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

I think this set would work for a speedy M-Garchomp too.

That could work, but it helps to have some utility with a Garchomp. The goal of mine is to not take any hit's during set up. That way I can focus on getting as much damage output as I can.

While his SAtk is nice, it's nowhere near that Atk. Or the possible boosts he can get from it. I tend to favor something that will probably guarente a 1-3 hit K.O. over risking not having stab or a sufficient power to back it up.

That could work, but it helps to have some utility with a Garchomp. The goal of mine is to not take any hit's during set up. That way I can focus on getting as much damage output as I can.

While his SAtk is nice, it's nowhere near that Atk. Or the possible boosts he can get from it. I tend to favor something that will probably guarente a 1-3 hit K.O. over risking not having stab or a sufficient power to back it up.
If you want your Sandstorm, why not have someone else setting it up? This way you could get another coverage move like Stone Edge or a special move like Fire Blast to take care of Skarmory.

You can use Hippowdon with that Sand Rock to make the Sandstorm last for 8 turns.

You are missing out on a great amount of power and coverage (The well known Edgequake) by not using Stone Edge, a Sand Force SE coming off 170 attack is deadly and it allows you to 1hko the likes of Salamance on the switch (Who outspeed Mega Garchomp)
And that 120 base special attack is too good to to be used, and allows you to take care of Skarmory.

I've been using this Mega Garchomp recently, protected by Dual Screens. It doesn't like burns but its not completely useless with a burn as it can hit hard with Draco Meteor and Fire Blast.

Confused Shark (Garchomp) @ Garchompite
EVs: 236 Atk / 248 HP / 24 SAtk
Brave Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

I think this set would work for a speedy M-Garchomp too.
Ugh, no offense, that's a terrible set, you are just way too slow to even function. Just use Naughty max SpA and Spe

Ugh, no offense, that's a terrible set, you are just way too slow to even function. Just use Naughty max SpA and Spe
No offense taken. I'm always up for suggestions.

Using neutral nature drops attack from 482 to 439. With maximum HP it can survive a Dragon Claw from Charizard X and 1hko back with EQ or take a Dragon Claw from Dragonite and 1hko with Stone Edge or Draco Meteor after Stealth Rock. I could go for Lonely nature, which makes its Def and SpDef almost equal without a speed drop.

I'm trying to run a mixed mega Garchomp with no speed. The way I see it, 120 attack is too good not to use while the 10 drop in Speed can put mega Garchomp in an awkward speed tier even with full investment so I better go for bulk and full attacking power on both sides rather than speed.

Choice Scarf Garchomp pls: Outrage or Dragon Claw / Stone Edge / Dual Chop or Dragon Claw or Fire Blast or Poison Jab / Earthquake and also banded Garchomp with the same moveset.

Is Adamant a better nature than Jolly though? Also is Rough Skin a better ability given that sandstorm only lasts five turns now even with sandstream?

Is Adamant a better nature than Jolly though? Also is Rough Skin a better ability given that sandstorm only lasts five turns now even with sandstream?
If it's on a team with either Hippowdon or Tyranitar, Sand Veil is probably the superior ability, otherwise rough skin is better. Always go with jolly as it allows it to outspeed 89-101 positive natured mons, which encompasses so many offensive mons, and is way more important that a little extra damage from adamant.

I'm curious: are there better Sand Force users than M-Chomp?
Landorus-I is debateable, it's a nice surprise since most run Sheer Force so you can often grab a free Swords Dance, Rock Polish, or extra hit when your opponent sends out the wrong mon.

In the end, though, MGarchomp is really the only real Sand Force abuser in OU, so it doesn't exactly face a ton of competition. There's Lando, who generally runs Sheer Force because it's godlike, and there's Hippowdon, who runs it because Sand Stream can mess up it's own team sometimes and Hippowdon doesn't really need SS to function.

This is the Mega Garchomp set i use on my sand offence team and it's been working fairly well at busting things open.

Garchomp @ Garchompite
EVs: 84 Atk / 252 SAtk / 172 Spd
Naughty/Lonely Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

172 speed outruns max speed Adamant Landorus-T pre mega-evo, outspeeds neutral base 80s after mega-evoing as well as outspeeding max speed jolly Breloom (which is a very good check against sand). Max Spa to nuke with Draco Meteor against physical switches with the rest dumped into Atk with a + Atk nature. You could run less speed (or even SpA since only 200 SpA is required to ohko Skarm with rocks up) and pump more into Atk but i find that this set has a nice balance . Classic mixed wallbreaker set.

Edit: Updated spread with more speed to outrun Breloom.

Last edited:
What can't adamant Scarfchomp outspeeds that jolly does? I thought that everything but Deoxys-S, but I mean monsters at +1 speed.
Thanks!

I've been reading through here a bit and was thinking of a quick way to set up for Mega-Chomp and then it dawned on me, stick an eject button on either tyranitar or Hippodown. Switch em in real quick into a hopefully resisted move, set sandstorm, and then get bounced out as soon as they are hit. Out comes ol Chompy, go mega, and sweep for 4 turns. Thoughts?

I've been reading through here a bit and was thinking of a quick way to set up for Mega-Chomp and then it dawned on me, stick an eject button on either tyranitar or Hippodown. Switch em in real quick into a hopefully resisted move, set sandstorm, and then get bounced out as soon as they are hit. Out comes ol Chompy, go mega, and sweep for 4 turns. Thoughts?
The problem is that eject button is one-use item, so the strategy can only be used once. Also, Smooth rock increases sand's duration to 8 turns (actually 7, with the turn used switching in) and allows chomp to have the sand for 6 turns, outdoing the eject button anyway. Also, megachomp generally shouldn't be staying in for 4 turns. It should try to get in, KO something, and get out.

Hope I was helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)