Gen 3 Gen 3 on PS, final fixes

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
This was fixed over six months ago, but Gen 3 Wish was happening after weather damage, so that's fixed now. I had fixed the order in Gen 4 a while ago but forgot Gen 3 inherited from Gen 5 and not 4.
o.o i was playin a test game a couple weeks back and it didnt wokr properly

EDIT. just checked, it got fixed. idk what happened in that other game then...

I think the doom desire glitch is the only one left then if wish has been fixed.

I figured hp fire worked that way because last wcop, typhlito's regice's hp fire thawed out mcmeghan's frozen swampert... oops!

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
lol oh shit, owned :(

sorry dude, i was only relating the scenario to what ive been used to seeing since 2005 on Netbattle.

you know what they say about being raised the wrong way.

feels bad to have been lied to all this time though. almost as bad as Crystal_'s recent discoveries.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Except, it is a bug in Gen 3 and 4! Focus Punch starts trying to execute before checking if it can't. In Gen 5 it was changed to check first and then execute. You can tell it's executing because it loses a PP whether the user was hit or not prior to Gen 5, and this quirk subjects it to being Choice locked.
Gen 3; Gen 4 said:

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
wait wait so how exactly does focus punch work?
If you use it, get hit, you remain locked into it the next turn.. are you locked into it until you switch out, or only for that turn, or only until you get the move off?

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3oubeta-37857

Smurf. will confirm.

Around turn 8, T-Tar (CB) got hit while trying to tighten its focus for a focus punch. He was then able to change his move from Focus Punch to Rock Slide the following turn.

I think that's a bug.
Fixed!
wait wait so how exactly does focus punch work?
If you use it, get hit, you remain locked into it the next turn.. are you locked into it until you switch out, or only for that turn, or only until you get the move off?
Choice locking is choice locking; you're locked into it until you switch out.

Marty

Always more to find
Research Leader
I think you've misunderstood the problem here: this Focus Punch locking business only applies if you're actually holding a Choice item, and only in Gen 3 and 4.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
doom desire currently has bw mechanics, I noticed this when a swampert taking one resisted it.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Doom_Desire_(move)#Generation_III
This should be the last bug Joim, and I think I understand why it is bugged:

So if I understand the last fix correctly, this is trying to change this movetype when it should really be aimed at this movetype. The move isn't causing damage, the side condition is, and this particular side condition defines its own movetype, basepower, and format (physical, special, etc) without any help from the actual move's movetype, basepower, and format. I am unsure of how to fix this without a waste of space going towards rewriting the creation of the side condition in each gen mod, so I hoped you would know of a better way to do this. The same problem is in Future Sight of course.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)