Gen 3 Gen 3 on PS, final fixes

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
It's not as simple as just changing the type though. Before Gen 5, Doom Desire and Future Sight calculate damage when they're used instead of when they hit. So if the target switches out, whatever is in that position after will take whatever damage it would have done to the original target. Also, because the damage is calculated on use, the user doesn't have to be on the field to have the hit boosted by its stat stages, Ability, or item like it does in Gen 5 and 6.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's not as simple as just changing the type though. Before Gen 5, Doom Desire and Future Sight calculate damage when they're used instead of when they hit. So if the target switches out, whatever is in that position after will take whatever damage it would have done to the original target. Also, because the damage is calculated on use, the user doesn't have to be on the field to have the hit boosted by its stat stages, Ability, or item like it does in Gen 5 and 6.
Thought that was dealt elsewhere already, let me double check that and if necessary implement it.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Thought that was dealt elsewhere already, let me double check that and if necessary implement it.
How could that be dealt with elsewhere? If it were dealt with elsewhere, changing the type of moveData in the effect wouldn't do anything since it'd be dealing residual or direct damage instead of move damage.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
How could that be dealt with elsewhere? If it were dealt with elsewhere, changing the type of moveData in the effect wouldn't do anything since it'd be dealing residual or direct damage instead of move damage.
Long story short, which by the way I think is pretty much irrelevant here and there's this nice feature called conversations, is that I though that 1. target and source are saved 2. so onHit would check for gen and calculate with proper source/target. I obviously didn't read it before, just ran the tests with the aforementioned change, checked effective and stab messages.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Long story short, which by the way I think is pretty much irrelevant here and there's this nice feature called conversations, is that I though that 1. target and source are saved 2. so onHit would check for gen and calculate with proper source/target. I obviously didn't read it before, just ran the tests with the aforementioned change, checked effective and stab messages.
Well, source and target could've gotten +Atk or -Atk or +Def or something since then, which shouldn't affect it, so source and target shouldn't even be saved.

For instance, Veekun's description (only accurate for gen 4 and earlier) says: "Damage is calculated at the time this move is used; stat changes and switching out during the delay won't change the damage inflicted." Just knowing the description would have been enough.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey Joim playing tesung on smogtours and this happened. hp grass went through protect!! D:!
Turn 1
You have 300 seconds to make your decision.
★Tesung: gll
Tyranitar, come back!
Go! Swampert!
The opposing Metagross used Meteor Mash!
It's not very effective... Swampert lost 26.9% of its health!
The sandstorm is raging.
Swampert restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 2
You have 300 seconds to make your decision.
★pokeaim: u2
Swampert used Protect!
Swampert protected itself!
The opposing Metagross used Hidden Power!
It's super effective! Swampert lost 52.9% of its health!
The sandstorm is raging.
Swampert restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

a quote from the battle:
★pokeaim: bro i though i was good
Player 2 has 240 seconds left.
★pokeaim: scouting for hp grass
+CrashinBoomBang: every thread i posted in
+CrashinBoomBang: LOL
★pokeaim: turns out it didnt matter
★pokeaim: LOL
+CrashinBoomBang: u got fooled

edit: ninja'd lol

I have not saved a replay of it because I didn't think to (sorry) but my Skarmory's Whirlwind went through an Umbreon's Protect. Not sure if it's related to the above Protect bugs or if it's an forgotten XY feature.

Also, the sim announces when Quick Claw activates which I'm fairly sure should not happen.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Quick Claw does announce in gen 3, but there is no animation with it in game. Marty D, could you check on this when you get the chance?

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Fixed!
I have not saved a replay of it because I didn't think to (sorry) but my Skarmory's Whirlwind went through an Umbreon's Protect. Not sure if it's related to the above Protect bugs or if it's an forgotten XY feature.

Also, the sim announces when Quick Claw activates which I'm fairly sure should not happen.
Fixed next update! (Also you're right, Quick Claw didn't show a message until Gen 4, that is also fixed next update)
It's a lot less obvious how to fix this one, I'll see what I can do. Pursuit is a strange thing (this only happens with Pursuit).

I can't find the replay. But today during a match with mael, my Blissey's Thunder Wave actually hit Swampert and paralyzed it. Might wanna get that checked out.

Joim

Marty

Always more to find
Research Leader
During two ADV matches, using Skill Swap displayed an error.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3ou-83887
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3ou-83888

This occurred with Venomoth vs. Flareon and Murkrow (replays stop at that point), but I don't think that has anything to do with the error.
The matches were able to be played to completion, although it wasn't confirmed whether Skill Swap applied correctly.
Thanks, it'll be fixed next client update! It was a purely visual bug; the Abilities did swap properly. Until then, you can continue watching the replays after they stop by clicking 'Resume' or 'Play' again.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
well you can then click resume when it hits skill swap and it plays fine, but with the error message remaining.

e: greininja'd by marty

Deleted User 108547

Banned deucer.
Hi, I was trying to find some bugs on PS when I found one related to the move beat up.

Räikkönen sent out Houndoom!
Lhions sent out Blissey!
Lhions: no habia mirao las clauses
Räikkönen: xD, haz cualquier move

Start of turn 1
Houndoom used Beat Up!
Houndoom attacked!
The foe's Blissey lost 8% of its health!
Xtress attacked!
The foe's Blissey lost 7% of its health!
Whopper attacked!
The foe's Blissey lost 10% of its health!
Aerodactyl attacked!
The foe's Blissey lost 9% of its health!
Tanathos attacked!
The foe's Blissey lost 12% of its health!
Tiamatria attacked!
The foe's Blissey lost 12% of its health!

The foe's Blissey used Soft-Boiled!
The foe's Blissey regained health!
Battle between DuncanTop3History and Bernd Maylander started!
DuncanTop3History sent out Blissey!
Go! Houndoom!
Turn 1
Houndoom used Beat Up!
The opposing Blissey lost 3% of its health!
The opposing Blissey lost 2% of its health!
The opposing Blissey lost 4% of its health!
The opposing Blissey lost 4% of its health!
Hit 6 times!
The opposing Blissey used Soft-Boiled!
The opposing Blissey regained health!
The first log belongs to PO, while the second one belongs to PS. As you can see, the damage in the second log doesn't match with the first one. The move beat up has a singular mechanic, so I'm sure something is wrong with this.
Just quoting some old bug I found. Is it solved?

Is this a legit hard thing to fix? I'm working on a gen 3 mod where Doom Desire is actually important and I'm not sure whether I should try tackling the problem myself, lol.

Incidentally, Beat Up has all sorts of bad stuff going on I think. Is it just working off of modern mechanics or something? I can't really tell, it seems to do more damage based on the physical attack of each individual member for each hit, but also is definitely based on the special attack of the actual user of the move? Also seems affected by statboosting attacks? e.g. Sneasel will do more damage with Beat Up after CMing. Also I'm pretty sure it's treated as a dark type move, with resistances and whatnot, presumably STAB as well. Not that anyone uses Beat Up in RSE.

Posting here because it's relevant to Gen3:

The following replay shows a Skarmory with Whirlwind + Drill Peck (revealed on Turn 51).
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-291672479

That was always an illegal set. Roar + Drill Peck and Whirlwind + HP Flying were the standards. What is going on here?! Not super familiar with Showdown Gen3 stuff but I knew and played the game very well years ago on the old simulators.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)