Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is, the more new mechanics they introduce the harder it will be for me to understand what's going on. And then there are other mechanics which we don't even know they're gonna keep up like mega evolutions.
At worst we are not getting new Megas. The existing ones are not being dropped, especially just the following generation after being introduced.

There, I've (hopefully) used up my last Mega Poke' comment quota.

Moving onto something that was discussed earlier, I didn't post my thoughts on it before, but I'm glad that they're giving us a side job to allow players to make a bunch of money. I hope they introduce more stuff like this in the final game to make money issues a non-issue like they were in ORAS.

Anyway, let's move on. So we know we're getting new info in like, 20 days if I remember the post correctly (I'm too lazy to look back lol.)

I already talked a little bit about what we could see. More info on z-moves and hyper training would be appreciated, especially for people who don't want to know too much about the game itself before playing. We still don't know for sure if there's gonna be physical/special z-moves, and if there's gonna be more bottlecaps.

Also, something that we know for a fact is coming back (at least to an extent) is trainer customization. And it makes sense. Trainer customization was very popular, allowing for diversity both in race and clothing. I'm really hoping we get more information on it, like if we'll be able to change hair and eye color, clothes, etc. It wouldn't really make sense to only give us the option to pick our skin tone, though I guess in this gen, anything could happen.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Also, something that we know for a fact is coming back (at least to an extent) is trainer customization. And it makes sense. Trainer customization was very popular, allowing for diversity both in race and clothing. I'm really hoping we get more information on it, like if we'll be able to change hair and eye color, clothes, etc. It wouldn't really make sense to only give us the option to pick our skin tone, though I guess in this gen, anything could happen.
Customization is pretty much confirmed by now, plus with the ability to remove our hat! We could discuss how more indepth they could go but that could really hurdle into wild speculating/wishlisting territory (I myself could list a whole batch of detail I'd like to see added).

Do you guys think that they might actually introduce more jobs than just throwing cucumbers into the sea?
I remember images of fire trucks and ambulances for example.

Also, if the "no gyms because you create your own league" leak is true than that might explain why you earn 20000 for clearing the beach. Starting a Pokémon League can't be cheap. lol
I think that was just to show some other types of careers in the pokemon world. I doubt they'd let your child or teenage character drive an ambulance to a crime scene or something lol

The money could be for anything. But I think the island challenge is meant to replace the league as a whole, so I see no reason to start one up.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Okay, looks like discussion needs to be steered. And I think I've got a good idea here:

As of right now, according to Bulbapedia, 39 Gen VII Pokémon have been revealed. Some full evolution lines (Yungoos, Grubbin), some legendaries (Magearna, Tapu Koko), a lot of unevolved Pokémon, and quite a few presumed two-stage evolution lines. But do you think any of the Pokémon we've seen so far are middle evolutions? Charjabug nonwithstanding, of course.

During the XY pre-release period, we only saw five middle stage Pokémon: The starters, Spewpa and Doublade. There are few enough new three-stage evolutions in Gen VI that I can walk you through every one:

Starter lines
: First and middle stages revealed pre-release (missing final evolutions) - middle stages revealed one month before game release, for the record
Fletchling line: Fletchling and Talonflame revealed pre-release (missing Fletchinder)
Scatterbug line: All three revealed pre-release (together, if I'm not mistaken, or at least over a short time span)
Flabébé line: Only Flabébé revealed (missing Floette and Florges)
Honedge line: Honedge and Doublade revealed (missing Aegislash)
Goomy line: Not revealed at all before release

It's a safe bet that the Alola starters are three-stage. We know Grubbin evolves twice. Pikipek is also likely to do so. These, however, are quite formulaic evolution families. Kalos gave us three "non-formulaic" three-stage evolution lines, and arguably early in the pre-release period we got news of two of them: Flabébé in June, Honedge in July. For reference, the games themselves were announced in January, but the "dry spell" of XY news (during which only Sylveon was revealed following the announcement) was broken in May's CoroCoro.

To recap, for XY, we had seen members of all but one of the 8 three-stage evolution lines three months before the games were released. However, only Scatterbug's evolution line was truly confirmed to be a three-stage line. When we saw Honedge and Flabébé, we had no idea they would evolve twice. Doublade was announced rather late (late September) and thought to be Honedge's only evolution.

My late-night logic dictates that there should be a "Honedge" or two among the Gen VII Pokémon we've seen so far. A Pokémon which is a member of a three-stage family, but without announced evolutions - or with one revealed evolution, currently thought to be its only one. Do you have any idea which?

I think that was just to show some other types of careers in the pokemon world. I doubt they'd let your child or teenage character drive an ambulance to a crime scene or something lol

The money could be for anything. But I think the island challenge is meant to replace the league as a whole, so I see no reason to start one up.
So... where is the police when the Pokémon world needs to be saved?
You mean the authorities would stand back and let a little kid deal with organized crime syndicates and apocalyptic scenarios but tell you and your Pokémon to get lost while a house is on fire and people are in danger or something?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Morelull probably has a single evo if it's continuing the trend of previous mushroom Pokémon. It looks too small and cutesy to be evolved itself.

Similarly, Crabrawler probably has a prevo since all of the crab families have two members, and it looks too "complete" to be a prevo.

Wimpod might have two evos, but it could also have a single one because there's no evidence pointing either way. Regardless, I think it will evolve just because it doesn't have the finality of a single-stage design.

There might be a middle stage between Fomantis and Lurantis. The latter gives me some Leavany vibes with the design, and there's a bit of a disconnect between them.

So... where is the police when the Pokémon world needs to be saved?
You mean the authorities would stand back and let a little kid deal with organized crime syndicates and apocalyptic scenarios but tell you and your Pokémon to get lost while a house is on fire and people are in danger or something?
What I really meant is that it won't be an official job to you. You won't get paid to help, I feel. After all, when the player character ever truly rewarded for what they did in past games? I can only think of gen 6, but you didn't get any money.
My late-night logic dictates that there should be a "Honedge" or two among the Gen VII Pokémon we've seen so far. A Pokémon which is a member of a three-stage family, but without announced evolutions - or with one revealed evolution, currently thought to be its only one. Do you have any idea which?
I think Drampa is a good contender. Drampa could possibly be a pseudo legendary for the game, the majority of which are dragon types. One thing they all have in common is three stage evolution.

I agree with Karxrida about on Morelull. I think the same thing could be said for Bounsweet. It gives me Cherubi vibes.

Pikipek is very likely as well. In fact, I think it's a given. It'll either have one evolution, like Taillow, or two, like Fletchling.

Fomantis and Lurantis really seem to have a disconnect, as Karxrida mentioned.

Cutiefly seems like it could evolve once, and so does Wimpod. They look like those Bugs found after one or two Gyms (Or in Alola's case, Trials).

The only known Alola-native Pokédex spots that resemble single-stage mons are Togedemaru (obviously!?), Mimikyu, Wishiwashi, and Oricorio. The first two are Pikaclones, while the last two already have form differences based on various circumstances.

Has anyone considered that Rockruff could evolve twice? It receives much appreciation in the fandom, probably because it's a cute little pupper dog. It has a lot of potential to break the main story when it evolves.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Pikipek was confirmed to evolve twice in the Treehouse footage iirc.

I don't think Drampa is a pseudo; it honestly looks like a standalone mon since it gives me that weird vibe that Druddigon has. Besides, I don't think pseudos get revealed before launch (which I'm okay with since I want that to be a surprise).

I could buy Cutiefly being a standalone, but I wouldn't be surprised if it evolved. I doubt it's evolved from something because it's a bit too simplistic for an evolved mon.

I'm pretty positive Comfey is a standalone. Its concept as a lei doesn't lend itself to any sort of evolutions.

Bounsweet reminds me of Cherubi, so I think it'll evolve.

Last edited:
Minior also looks like a standalone. Its a very gimmicky Pokemon and has forme changes like Wishiwashi and Oricorio.

Komala likely has one evolution.

Bruxish is likely standalone.

Salandit looks like something that could be stand alone though it'll likely have an evolution or pre-evolution. (Bewear and Mudsdale also looked like standalones but they got pre-evos announced)

Pyukumuku is standalone. I don't even know what it'd look like if it evolved.

Turtonator reminds me a lot of Heatmor and Torkoal and like those two I suspect it'll be standalone.

Minior also looks like a standalone. Its a very gimmicky Pokemon and has forme changes like Wishiwashi and Oricorio.

Komala likely has one evolution.

Bruxish is likely standalone.

Salandit looks like something that could be stand alone though it'll likely have an evolution or pre-evolution. (Bewear and Mudsdale also looked like standalones but they got pre-evos announced)

Pyukumuku is standalone. I don't even know what it'd look like if it evolved.

Turtonator reminds me a lot of Heatmor and Torkoal and like those two I suspect it'll be standalone.
It's not like I disagree with you with the pyukumuku thing, but I don't really see pyukumuku staying stand alone. Having wishiwashi, bruxish, and pyukumuku not evolve is just weird. That would make too many water types that don't evolve. In my opinion, I think pyukumuku has potential to evolve. The random bunny tail that he has could likely change if it were to evolve, but TBH i'm not really sure. Bruxish can also have a pre-evolution, but to me its more likely that Pyukumuku would evolve instead.

P.S: If Pyukumuku were to evolve, I think it would have some crazy evolution that no one else was expecting.

It's possible that Bewear could be the surprise three-evolution Pokemon. We were surprised to see they announced a prevo, so it's possible it might evolve again.
inb4 animatronic.

Salandit will probably evolve three times as well, to me it just looks like that kind of Pokemon.

I actually thought Minior would evolve just because the "mini" felt like a dimunitive that implied a larger version.
If it evolves it will probably be one of those Voltorb->Electrode or Magnemite->Magneton deals where it doesn't change too much or just gets duplicated.
On the other hand, we have many examples of form changing abilities that only exist on the final evolution so that's a good point too. It might not evolve.

Turtonator is one of the Pokemon at the top of my curiousity list.

I don't think Drampa is a pseudo; it honestly looks like a standalone mon since it gives me that weird vibe that Druddigon has. Besides, I don't think pseudos get revealed before launch (which I'm okay with since I want that to be a surprise).
I agree with the notion that Drampa isn't a pseudo, but I think it's going to be the Haxorus of this gen. Considering its name is a combination of Dragon and Grandpa, I think it's going to have a pre-evolution (Youngon? idk I can't think of a good name for it). On the other hand, I think Turtonator is going to be the Druddigon of this gen. It just gives me that Druddigon vibe more than Drampa does.

Then again, that could easily be because Drampa's design is smooth, whereas Turtonator's design is rough-looking.

I don't think the pseudo for this gen has been revealed yet.

Drampa seems like it could be a stage 2 or standalone Pokemon like Lapras.

If Cutiefly does evolve, I hope it evolves to something completely vicious.

Turtonator strikes me as a Pokemon in the vein of Magmar/Electabuzz/Scyther/Pinsir -- something with probably decent firepower and rare in the wild.

I really hope Stufful and Bewear aren't the Lucario/Zoroark family of this generation.

Okay, looks like discussion needs to be steered. And I think I've got a good idea here:

As of right now, according to Bulbapedia, 39 Gen VII Pokémon have been revealed. Some full evolution lines (Yungoos, Grubbin), some legendaries (Magearna, Tapu Koko), a lot of unevolved Pokémon, and quite a few presumed two-stage evolution lines. But do you think any of the Pokémon we've seen so far are middle evolutions? Charjabug nonwithstanding, of course.

During the XY pre-release period, we only saw five middle stage Pokémon: The starters, Spewpa and Doublade. There are few enough new three-stage evolutions in Gen VI that I can walk you through every one:
Starter lines: First and middle stages revealed pre-release (missing final evolutions) - middle stages revealed one month before game release, for the record
Fletchling line: Fletchling and Talonflame revealed pre-release (missing Fletchinder)
Scatterbug line: All three revealed pre-release (together, if I'm not mistaken, or at least over a short time span)
Flabébé line: Only Flabébé revealed (missing Floette and Florges)
Honedge line: Honedge and Doublade revealed (missing Aegislash)
Goomy line: Not revealed at all before release

It's a safe bet that the Alola starters are three-stage. We know Grubbin evolves twice. Pikipek is also likely to do so. These, however, are quite formulaic evolution families. Kalos gave us three "non-formulaic" three-stage evolution lines, and arguably early in the pre-release period we got news of two of them: Flabébé in June, Honedge in July. For reference, the games themselves were announced in January, but the "dry spell" of XY news (during which only Sylveon was revealed following the announcement) was broken in May's CoroCoro.

To recap, for XY, we had seen members of all but one of the 8 three-stage evolution lines three months before the games were released. However, only Scatterbug's evolution line was truly confirmed to be a three-stage line. When we saw Honedge and Flabébé, we had no idea they would evolve twice. Doublade was announced rather late (late September) and thought to be Honedge's only evolution.

I see Cutiefly getting at least 1 evolution, if not a full set. It probably fills the roll of alternative early game bug type. Same goes with Wimpod (I assume it's likely going to be available later than the other bugs, at least until we hit our first beach). Unless they wanted to make it the resident gag Pokémon with its ability.

Cutiefly may also be the final stage, but that would make its pre evo(s) really small. Most winged bug types are fully evolved after all. I think the only exceptions are Scyther and Combee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)