Other Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a Wobuffet/Azumarill/Lucario core any good? The all cover each other's weaknesses with Lucario and Azurmarill taking Dark, Bug, and Ghost hits for Wobuffet, Lucario can take Grass, Steel, and Poison hits for Azumarill, and Wobuffet can Shadow Tag opponents and then use Encore to trap them into a entry hazard or status move for Azumarill to come in and Belly Drum then sweep, or Lucario to come in, mega-evolve, Swords Dance, and then sweep as a mixed attacker leaning more towards physical attacks. All this set needs is some Wish support or Rapid Spin to do some pretty serious damage IMO

Is a Wobuffet/Azumarill/Lucario core any good? The all cover each other's weaknesses with Lucario and Azurmarill taking Dark, Bug, and Ghost hits for Wobuffet, Lucario can take Grass, Steel, and Poison hits for Azumarill...
I wouldn't rely on something frail like Lucario to take hits. He has an interesting defensive typing, but his stats don't really support it.

Zygarge@Leftovers
Aura Break
Adamant 252 HP / 252 At / 4 Df
~ Coil
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge
~ Extreme Speed

Snorlax@Assault Vest
Thick Fat
Adamant 4 Hp / 252 At / 252 SpD
~ Ice Punch
~ Gunk Shot
~ Fire Punch
~ Crunch/Pursuit/Thunder Punch

Skarmory@Leftovers
Sturdy
Impish 252 HP / 252 Df / 4 SpD
~ Roost
~ Spikes
~ Whirlwind
~ Toxic

If going for a Zygarde sweep then Snorlax and Skarmory make great partners and SpD and Df pivot each. Snorlax is the quintessential Ice sponge that Zygarde fears and with Assault Vest and his mammoth HP fears no Ice Beams, nor Flamethrowers and Thunderbolts aimed at Skarmory. Ice Punch hits opposing Dragons, Gunk Shot hits Fairies, and Fire Punch is wanted for taking out other Skarmory that wall Zygarde outright. Snorlax can also Pursuit trap Ghosts wasting their time with Shadow Ball and Focus Blast. Skarmory can take physical Dragon attacks easily and can withstand most Fighting moves too for Snorlax. He can set up Spikes making Zygarde's job easier and and Whirlwind away other would-be set-up sweepers.

I've also been trying to make a core with these two:

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Regenerator
Bold 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
-Slack Off
-Psychic
-Scald
-Ice Beam

Amoongus @ Black Sludge
Regenerator
Calm 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
-Synthesis
-Spore
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb

For the life og me I can't seem to figure out the third perfect member of this core!
Perhaps maybe Heatran, for that FWG core. Although, strong Earthquakes can be quite damaging, so maybe adding some mons that don't care for them, like Gliscor or Landorus-t, who can fit the core's synergy well would be a good idea. For Slowbro's moveset, you might also want to consider using Toxic or Thunder Wave in place of one of the coverage moves, considering Slowbro is more defensive, and not meant to attack and do good damage so much.

I have a question, are there any good defensive cores for novices like myself to try? I'm trying to think of a team but I just can't pick a core to start with.
CeleTran, Rotom-w+any steel, ground, rock-type, FerroCent, FWG core, Steel+Dragon core. Though, the last is more offensive in nature. Rotom-w can easily pair well with most things, even in this meta, so it is already a perfect member for any FWG core.

A good novice core is really the core listed above. Heatran + Rotom-w + MegaVenusaur, or Amoongus.

Last edited:
Note:

I'm looking for suggestiosn what to add.
This Pre-Pokebox, ingame.
(So, no tiers - limited movepools)

Scolipede
252HP / 252 Defense
Speed Boost
Bold /Impish
Black Sludge

(Toxic /)Spikes / Protect / Substitute
Protect /Substitute
Iron Defense
Baton Pass

Espeon
252HP /252 Sdef
Magic Bounce
Calm
Leftovers

Wish
Stored Power /Psychic
Calm Mind
Baton Pass

Clefable
252HP / 252 SpA
Unaware
Modest
Lum Berry (I dare you Klefki...)

Moon Blast
Stored Power
Calm Mind /Amnesia
Soft Boiled E/: Wanted to breed it, just noticed it isn't available; -> use Moonlight

The idea is quite simple:
Grab buffs, baton pass.
Baton pass to Espeon when then enemy swapps in a Roar / Whirlwind guy.
Swap to Clefable (unaware) if your opponent decides to setup as well.
Baton pass to Espeon / Scolipede depending on what your opponent spawns in.

Weaknesses:
-In case you don't manage to get enough boosts you have 2 completely useless Pokemon.
-Poor coverage

Suggested Pokemon to fill the Team:

-Dragonite: Already tanky, good swap in for BP
-Qwilfish: Nice defense typing, strong hazards -> good since both teams will swap a lot
-Blaziken: SD / BU + BP make this a solid addition, however - very squishy
-(Mega-) Tyranitar: Can set up SR and sweep at the same time. Solid Bulk. Has viable mixed sweep options.

-Mega Kangaskhan: Great attacker, with BP'd defense and speed this mon can clear whole teams
-Mega-Gyrados: Intimidate gives great swap in possibilities
-Mega Absol: Can Replace Espeon // draws great power freom Iron defense, difficult to stop.

So, any suggestions, what to add / swap?
(Again, pre-Pokebox! Ingame)
I got some (ingame) footage to show how this works in action; possibly making the strategy easier to understand.
I got a quite solid win rate atm. - while playing mostly against experienced Showdown players.
Here are a few replayes against enemies against good players, with solid and balanced teams.
(I'm not uploading Passerby matches)

Enter the following codes into your VS. Recorder (ingame):
4JBG-WWWW-WWW3-AG49 // Vs. Dual Screen +pure Bulk
RXQW-WWWW-WWW3-AGER (I derped at the start) // vs. Roar
PX2W-WWWW-WWW3-AFWE // Vs. an enemy who tries to setup as well.

Note:
Those 3 are all wins.
I won 14 times and lost twice.
I'm not adding the losses because at
1.) I lost because of getting frozen (Ice Beam) and surviving 17 rounds (Leftovers ftw!) until a crit went through quadra CM
2.) Because I rematched a guy I already fought before, who rearranged his team around countering my core.

Last edited:
How does a core consisting of Mega-Pinsir, Magnezone, and Starmie sound? Magnezone covers all of Mega-Pinsir's weaknesses and Starmie is there for rapid spin support and to counter the fire weakness that the other two have. This is mostly a core to support Mega-Pinsir so it can decimate the opponent's team

How does a core consisting of Mega-Pinsir, Magnezone, and Starmie sound? Magnezone covers all of Mega-Pinsir's weaknesses and Starmie is there for rapid spin support and to counter the fire weakness that the other two have. This is mostly a core to support Mega-Pinsir so it can decimate the opponent's team
If the rare Mega Houndoom pops up, then that could spell trouble for the core, as it hits everything for super effective damage with its STABs alone, and can speed tie with Starmie.

Abomasnow@Abomasite
Snow Warning
Quiet 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SpA (0 Spe IV)
Blizzard
Giga Drain
Ice Shard
Leech Seed

Chandelure@Leftovers
Flash Fire
Quiet 252 HP/252 SpA/4 SpD (0 Spe IV)
Trick Room
Fire Blast
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball

Jellicent@Leftovers
Water Absorb
Bold 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Scald
Will-O-Wisp
Recover
Taunt

Basically, this is a bulky offensive Trick Room core centered around Chandelure and Abomasnow. The two cover eachother's weakness fairly well, with Chandelure taking Bug, Steel, Fighting, and Fire attacks aimed at Abomasnow, and Abomasnow sponging Water and Ground attacks for Chandelure. The two provide ample switch in opportunities for the other, and will wear down opposing special walls quickly, with 100% accurate Blizzards and somewhat less accurate Fire Blasts coming off of two gargantuan Special Attack stats. Jellicent is there because the two are really weak to Keldeo, Terrakion, and Talonflame, which Jellicent can check pretty well. It also creates a F/W/G core. For more offensive teams, Azumarill could probably be run in place of Jellicent, but I think Jellicent is a much safer option. This core should be supported by hazard control, as keeping opposing hazards away from Abomasnow and Chandelure, especially Stealth Rock, is essential for their longevity, with both of them being weak to it. Also, your own Stealth Rock user would be very beneficial, as both Chandelure and Jellicent can spinblock effectively. Additionally, checks should be added for Gengar and Hydreigon, who with their coverage moves, can hit all members of this core Super-Effectively. The EVs are tentative- I'm sure better spreads could be made, but I'm too lazy to make some.

not to brag but just saying it is kinda cool that the core I first proposed which was the mega kang, aegislash, rotom w is used a ton (well at least in the rate my team). However the reason why is just because they are the three most used pokemon so they will find themselves on the same team on purpose or not. It probably wasn't because I proposed it, but it is kinda cool that some people had the same idea as me.

I actually had a rather interesting F/W/G core used against me. Mega Charizard Y, Azumarill, and Breloom. Charizard's weakness to Rock, Electric, and Water is covered by Breloom, whose weaknesses to Fire and Ice are covered by Azumarill, whereas Charizard can come in on any Grass-type moves aimed at Azumarill. Granted, the core is extrememly vulnerable to Talonflame, but it was an interesting sight.

Is a Wobuffet/Azumarill/Lucario core any good? The all cover each other's weaknesses with Lucario and Azurmarill taking Dark, Bug, and Ghost hits for Wobuffet, Lucario can take Grass, Steel, and Poison hits for Azumarill, and Wobuffet can Shadow Tag opponents and then use Encore to trap them into a entry hazard or status move for Azumarill to come in and Belly Drum then sweep, or Lucario to come in, mega-evolve, Swords Dance, and then sweep as a mixed attacker leaning more towards physical attacks. All this set needs is some Wish support or Rapid Spin to do some pretty serious damage IMO
I use a similar core and it is beautiful. Bd azumarill is kinda underwhelming and very easy to stop despite the massive attack and Priority. Cb azumarill is what I use.
Another good partner is landorus I who can take encoured eqs and electric attacks to either rock polish or hit something hard. It also can check aegislash who wrecks wobb, and can cause mind games with luke and azu.

Would Tyranitar, Magnezone, Gengar still be a good core? I remember using it back in BW era but I haven't exactly been keeping up with the current meta, so I'm not up to date on all the threats I need to check besides certain megas, Talonflame and Aegislash, along with the old stuff.

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but an offensive core of heliolisk and trevenant could be usable. Trevenant resists Helios' ground weakness (I think) and is immune to fighting. They cover both offenses (sp atk and atk). And, while not exceptional, this could really Shine in lower tiers. And no, I don't have any calcs. Yet. If you want I could get some, but I have no clue what threats/walls to provide calcs for.

TripleST: This core will litteraly shines under sun as Trevenant will get automatically a new berry each turn and heliolisk has solar power. I see Ninetales dropping in UU, it could be interesting in that place.

Would Tyranitar, Magnezone, Gengar still be a good core? I remember using it back in BW era but I haven't exactly been keeping up with the current meta, so I'm not up to date on all the threats I need to check besides certain megas, Talonflame and Aegislash, along with the old stuff.
Unbanning of Excadrill, plus MGyarados, etc. make Mold Breaker a tad more prevalent.

I've tried Gyarados and Meganectric, which works pretty well.

First, Gyarados lures a lot of electric attacks. Manectric can switch in, absorb them with Lightningrod and nab a special attack boost if you haven't megaed yet, and at least resist the attacks if you have. Then, hit mega and proceed to punch holes into the opponent's team, with 135 SpA and speed, with a +1 boost to the former. Between STAB electric attacks and either Overheat or Flamethrower, it can take care of many of the pokemon that wall Gyarados. Skarmory gets zapped, Ferrothorn gets fried, Rotom-W can get its attacks lightningrodded.

Meanwhile, Gyarados can take the ground moves that are Manectric's sole weakness. Also, once Manectric is megaed, it gets intimidate, and Gyarados can get intimidate as well. Switching between the two a lot (helped by Manectric's volt switch) neuters physical attackers and gives Gyarados opportunities to set up.

Would an FWG core consisting of Roserade, Gastrodon, and Houndoom be viable? Roserade acts as a spiker, cleric, and special attacker. Gastrodon is used to take the Water attacks aimed at Houndoom and and to stall the opponent while they take residual damage. Houndoom is the main sweeper, especially with his MegaEvo. After one Nasty Plot, he hits like a truck. He can also be used to sponge the Psychic attacks that might be aimed at Roserade.

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Timid
Ability: Natural Cure
252 Spe/ 252 SpA/ 4 HP
-Giga Drain
-Spikes
-Aromatherapy
-Sludge Bomb

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Bold
Ability: Storm Drain
252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
-Earth Power
-Scald
-Recover
-Toxic

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Modest
Ability: Flash Fire
252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
-Fire Blast
-Dark Pulse
-Nasty Plot
-Hidden Power Grass

I've been finding a core of Talonflame, Rotom-W, and Ferrothorn really useful. Talonflame's weaknesses to Rock, Electric, and Water are all resisted by Ferrothorn, who in turn has it's weaknesses to Fire and Fighting resisted by Talonflame. Rotom-W seems to be there just to complete the Fire/Water/Grass core, as well as better take Fire-type attacks for Ferrothorn, but still risks getting burned.

I've been finding a core of Talonflame, Rotom-W, and Ferrothorn really useful. Talonflame's weaknesses to Rock, Electric, and Water are all resisted by Ferrothorn, who in turn has it's weaknesses to Fire and Fighting resisted by Talonflame. Rotom-W seems to be there just to complete the Fire/Water/Grass core, as well as better take Fire-type attacks for Ferrothorn, but still risks getting burned.
...I hate how solid that core is. Talonflame and Ferrothorn have some of the same checks (Heatran? Fire Blast TTar?) but Rotom-W is right there to soak up those hits. Seems like you'd need a dedicated offensive core to break them down. Rocks, of course, help a ton in dismantling Talonflame and Rotom-W, so you'll want a Defogger/Spinner to make it that much more solid. Defog Gliscor, or Excadrill comes to mind.

Last edited:
I was actually thinking of using this, but instead of Talonflame go with Charizard Y. Add in Scizor, Tyranitar, and MixMence for a scarfer. (reading this later and realizing I don't have a spinner here, unless Scizor runs Defog)

Talonflame is awesome and all, but I don't care much for its kamikaze antics.

An alternative to this would be to stick with Talonflame and swap Scizor for Mega Lucario. This would probably be better seeing as only one poke with priority attacks probably isn't a good idea with how the game is shaping up.

Last edited:
Possibly Mawile and Flygon? Flygon takes fire and has levitate for ground types and Mawile takes ice type attacks and even dragon.
Mawile and pretty much any flying/levitating dragon makes for a solid offensive core. Mawile resists Dragon, Fairy, Rock and Ice, all of which most dragons are weak to (Dragonite, Flygon, Salamence, Hydreigon, etc.), while dragons resist both of Mawile's weaknesses, Fire and Ground. As much as I like Flygon, and to a greater extent, Hydreigon, I wouldn't recommend them with Mawile because it leaves you a bit weak against fighting. Yes, Mawile usually runs Intimidate, has base 125 defense (iirc) and has STAB Rough Play in his mega form, but against something like Mixed Lucario, you're left a bit high and dry against special fighting attacks. Salamence is probably a good choice if you want to play with double intimidate shenanigans, and/or have Mega Mawile punch holes in the team for Salamence to clean up later.

The big potential issue I found with this core is that an opposing Mawile, especially if it has not been revealed or mega-evolved yet, can threaten it. Your Mega-Mawile will probably lose 1v1 against an opposing Mega Mawile than comes in and intimidates you, unless you run something like Swords Dance and they do not have it. An opposing Mega Mawile also threatens most dragons with STAB Rough Play or Sucker Punch, an exception being maybe Hydreigon or Flygon (who you'd use in the core for ground immunity), who both outspeed and can OHKO with a special Fire attack or STAB Earthquake as long as you're not intimidated or something.

I haven't done any serious competitive battling since gen4 but been getting back into it slowly.

Been using this core for Maison and its been working well.

T-Tar w/leftovers
Stealth rocks
Stone edge
Crunch
EQ

Mega Garchomp
Sword dance
Dragon rush
Earthquake
Poison jab

Cradily ?????
Sludge wave
Energy ball
Recover
Stockpile

On wifi I also have a hippowdon and that barnacle thing

I want to use a life orb scizor but I feel that i need a real special attacker

Here's the one I've been running lately:
Amoonguss @ Damp Rock
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Rain Dance
- Spore

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Defog

They've done a lot of great work for my rain team. Others would probably prefer an Amoonguss with leftovers and stun spore though. And in case you were wondering: Amoongus can switch in on Mega Lucario's close combat, take a second, and use spore.

I came up with this defensive core (sadly Togekiss needs Pokebank Moves):

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Aegislash @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 244 SAtk
Quite Nature
- Kings Shield
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Defog
- Dazzling Gleam

This core covers each others weaknesses perfectly and also provides some offensive pressure in form of pursuit trapping and Aegislash in general. Missing recovery and potential threat in form of burn is covered by support Togekiss. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)