Pokémon Goodra [REVAMP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Speaking of Sap Sipper, I never understood why people DON'T use it as Goodra's main ability. An immunity to a type that doesn't naturally have immunities is pretty awesome. Not to mention that Hydration requires too much support to be of any use, and Gooey is just bad because Goodra won't be tanking many physical hits to begin with.

I guess dying against a physical attacker and getting their speed dropped for the next pokemon to come in and easily kill/trap is nice, but still.

I've been working w/ Choice Scarf Goodra lately. Noone expects this thing to be fast which is why I have gotten it to do work in most of its matches. I could use Latios/Garchomp but I like the surprise value Goodra brings as well as its much better bulk.

I've originally started w/ this:

Goodra @ Choice Scarf
Modest
Sap Sipper
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Fire Blast

of course I had trouble getting past Mega Venusaur and Heatran so I thought maybe I could try mixed which could work due to Sap Sipper

So now I'm currently trying

Goodra @ Choice Scarf
Mild
Sap Sipper
32 Att / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Ice Beam
-Fire Blast

+1 32 Atk Goodra Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 168-198 (46.1 - 54.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

The 224 Speed allows it to hit 378 at Lv 100 which I believe outspeeds Greninja by 1 point. The 252 SpA for as much power as possible and I put the rest in SpA.

However I'm really wondering if there is a better 4 moves to try for better coverage. I want at minimum to outspeed max speed Greninja to avoid getting hit w/ a Ice Beam. This thing is so bulky even w/o Investment I've seen it live Draco Meteors from scarfed Latios.

Just started going mixed so it could be more terrible than I anticipated after a few tests as I really miss Draco Meteor already.

I've been working w/ Choice Scarf Goodra lately. Noone expects this thing to be fast which is why I have gotten it to do work in most of its matches. I could use Latios/Garchomp but I like the surprise value Goodra brings as well as its much better bulk.

I've originally started w/ this:

Goodra @ Choice Scarf
Modest
Sap Sipper
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Fire Blast

of course I had trouble getting past Mega Venusaur and Heatran so I thought maybe I could try mixed which could work due to Sap Sipper

So now I'm currently trying

Goodra @ Choice Scarf
Mild
Sap Sipper
32 Att / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Ice Beam
-Fire Blast

+1 32 Atk Goodra Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 168-198 (46.1 - 54.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

The 224 Speed allows it to hit 378 at Lv 100 which I believe outspeeds Greninja by 1 point. The 252 SpA for as much power as possible and I put the rest in SpA.

However I'm really wondering if there is a better 4 moves to try for better coverage. I want at minimum to outspeed max speed Greninja to avoid getting hit w/ a Ice Beam. This thing is so bulky even w/o Investment I've seen it live Draco Meteors from scarfed Latios.

Just started going mixed so it could be more terrible than I anticipated after a few tests as I really miss Draco Meteor already.
unguarenteed 2HKO? I realize that Venusaur's one of the best walls around, but I don't see how physical sets will work when the most common grass types can take you to school. I could be wrong though, so make sure to post test results

Goodra @ Damp Rock
Ability: Hydration
Bold(?) Nature
Not sure on EVs yet, but thinking:
252 Hp, 126 Def, 126 SDef
- Rain Dance
- Rest
- Thunder
- Protect/Draco Meteor/Ice Beam/Dragon Tail Open to suggestions here.

Main draw is special tank with reliable healing and 100% Thunder hits.

I like Goodra.

Goodra should sit at least in OU as a Specially Defensive Special Sweeper. Although that doesn't really match up with his signature ability Gooey, since it requires physical hits in order to work, but his other options (Water absorb and Sap Sipper) aren't really better options any way since no one is going to hit you with a Grass or Water-Type move anyway. So here comes the move-set.

Special Tank
Item: Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA 252 SpD 4 HP
Ability: Gooey
Moves:
Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse
Fire Blast
Sludge Bomb

Use Draco Meteor because it's a monster of a STAB move. But if you want move accuracy and don't want your Special Attack halved, use Dragon Pulse as an alternate option. Then use Sludge Bomb for Type coverage against Fairies and Fire Blast for type coverage against Ice and Steel. Of course since Goodra's Attack stat is decent, you can use Outrage instead of Dragon Pulse. To go with that, switch out on a Grass-type move with Sap Sipper as your ability in order to make it stronger. Just remember to switch out when a Physical Sweeper with Super-Effective moves like Azumarill, Dragonite, and Mamoswine.

I like Goodra.

Goodra should sit at least in OU as a Specially Defensive Special Sweeper. Although that doesn't really match up with his signature ability Gooey, since it requires physical hits in order to work, but his other options (Water absorb and Sap Sipper) aren't really better options any way since no one is going to hit you with a Grass or Water-Type move anyway. So here comes the move-set.

Special Tank
Moves:
Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse
Fire Blast
Sludge Bomb

Use Draco Meteor because it's a monster of a STAB move. But if you want move accuracy and don't want your Special Attack halved, use Dragon Pulse as an alternate option. Then use Sludge Bomb for Type coverage against Fairies and Fire Blast for type coverage against Ice and Steel. Of course since Goodra's Attack stat is decent, you can use Outrage instead of Dragon Pulse. To go with that, switch out on a Grass-type move with Sap Sipper as your ability in order to make it stronger. Just remember to switch out when a Physical Sweeper with Super-Effective moves like Azumarill, Dragonite, and Mamoswine.
I've been using a similar set but with Thunderbolt instead of Dragon Pulse. Tbh, I don't see much use of Sludge Bomb, as I find that most Pokemons that switch into Goodra are physical attackers rather than just Fairies.

I'm thinking of running BeamBolt combo with Fireblast and Draco Meteor.

I like Goodra.

Special Tank
Moves:
Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse
Fire Blast
Sludge Bomb

*sigh*
Why do people do this. INVEST IN HP, NOT IN SPECIAL DEFENSE.

252+ SpA Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 126-150 (39.2 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage

252+ SpA Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 146-174 (38 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage
Jeez, why is it so hard for people to understand that...

Anyways, I think people are ignoring goodra's main niche. I don't know if someone else has mentioned this, however, assault vest goodra is one of the most reliable counters to char y. Immune to solarbeam, resists fire blast, massive special defense. And if they're carrying dragon pulse, guess what: 1. They're a noob, so you should have no trouble dealing with them 2. Dragon pulse still won't be doing that much. That's my 2 cents. Don't go and argue that it gets countered by char x, because I don't care. Goodra beats char y, not char x. Just putting that out there.

Impressive. Also you should make a set with it using earthquake or a full physical set.
I use a physical goodra and it works quite well IMO.

Goodra : carefully nature - ability depends on what team you have.
Item - chesdto berry

Atk - 252
Def - 252
Other ev's go into HP / Sp. D

Move set
Eq
Outrage
Body slam
Rest

Item - chesdto berry

Atk - 252
Def - 252

Move set
Eq
Outrage
Body slam
Rest
This set really needs Iron Tail to get past Fairies IMO. And Investing fully into HP gives you more bulk than investing into Defense alone. Getting that mixed bulk is more important for Goodra than just withstanding physical attacks.

Y

Item - chesdto berry

Atk - 252
Def - 252

Move set
Eq
Outrage
Body slam
Rest
Yeah no. Number 1, don't invest in defense. Most physical attacks will still be doing way too much, while investing in HP allows you to take special hits better. Playing to goodra's strengths is the only way to make it decent. Number 2, body slam is only usable on 3 pokemon: Jirachi, togekiss, and snorlax. Last thing, I really don't understand why you have rest. It really just hinders your coverage abilities...

Been using this Goodra lately. Used to run it as a Choiced Scarf for surprise revenge kills but the extra speed it gets allows it to outspeed a few important things for my team and of course switch moves which is what I missed about Scarf Goodra also Expert Belt allows it to bluff AV or something else while avoiding LO Recoil and being able to switch moves.

Goodra @ Expert Belt
Mild
Sap Sipper
80 Att, 252 SpA, 176 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast
-Ice Beam

My team has problems with Heatran unless they get a free switch in. Goodra can easily switch in and hit either Heatran or the predicted switch in with one of its coverage moves. Ice Beam over Thunderbolt to hit most Dragons reliably w/o a SpA drop. My team has 3-4 other ways to deal with Azumarill so it really isn't missed.

Is there anything I should consider changing? 1 thing to note I really want to take advantage of Goodras decent base 80 Speed with some of the slower Pokémon in OU it can hit hard.

80 Atk Expert Belt Goodra Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 355-422 (91.9 - 109.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
One of my new favorite Pokemon. My competitive one has Flamethrower, Sludge Bomb, Aqua Tail & Dragon Tail. It's MIXED, which is a pain for dedicated walls!

Goodra has taken the cake as my favorite Gen6 Pokemon. She has such a unique stat distribution, and she can do things I like to see in pokemon; take hits and hit back hard.

I think that the best variant of Goodra is the AV one (I use this in my XY game)

Goodra @Assault Vest
Modest Nature
EV's:252HP, 252SpA
Dragon Pulse
Fire Blast
BoltBeam.

You could put sludge wave there if you wanted to, but that's based on your team (In my team I had gengar to take care of fairy types, so I ran goodra w/boltbeam). They physical set could work, and that could catch a lot of people off guard (Outrage, EQ, Iron tail, PowerWhip?). I don't think a scarfed set would work well, her main threats are things like garchomp and dragonite, and I don't think she can't outspeed the common scarfchomp, and she doesn't want to hit a WP D-nite with a Dragon-Pulse or Draco

While AV Goodra can laugh in the face of almost most special attacks, its already bulky enough on its special side that it doesn't need an AV. I think leftovers is a better option for Goodra as a way of recovery.

If there was an item like AV but for boosting physical defence, I think it would turn Goodra into an amazing Pokemon capable of taking hits on both sides and hit back hard. It can also go mixed with Sap Sipper Attack boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)